• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever buy a game an absurd amount of times?

MoxManiac

I don't know why this popped into my head, but I think i've purchased every home version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 to date.

I bought the PSX version at launch.

I bought the Dreamcast version shortly after it was released.

I bought the import Saturn version a bit later than that.

Bought the GBA version at launch.

Bought the PSP version at launch.

And finally, Street Fighter Alpha Anthology.

Note that with the exception of the Saturn version (which I obtained for under what it cost new to import) I paid full price every time. Capcom must love me.

I know cvxfreak has done something similar with RE games. Well?

Avalon

Only game I can think of is Xenogears.

Bought it when It was released... lost it when I was moving. Bought it a couple of years later from a friend. After finishing Xenosaga Episode III, I wanted to play Gears... but the game was in really bad shape... So I just received a new copy I got off Amazon.

Sonic Adventure probably.

Rented the Japanese version (and an import DC) before release in the US

Bought the US version

Bought a used Japanese version (hoping to get one with the same glitches as the Japanese one I first played, some of which were actually kind of interesting, no such luck)

Later bought two more new for cheap on the same hopes (don't think I ever actually tried them?)

Then, a few years later, I bought SADX for the Gamecube, extremely let down...

...But I bought SADX for the PC too when I saw it for dirt-cheap at Target.

bjork

PSO
PSO v2.0
PSO ep 1/2 XBX
PSO ep 1/2 GC
PSO ep 1/2 Plus GC

Pirates! C64 (twice)
Pirates! NES
Pirates! IBM/Tandy
Pirates! Gold Genesis
Pirates! PC (CD)
Pirates! PC (DVD)
Pirates! Xbox

^ I know the newer ones are technically a remake, but they're similar enough :p

I know I've bought Super Monkey Ball at least three times, once originally for Gamecube, once for PS2, and again for the Super Monkey Ball special pack for Gamecube.

I've bought GTA3 at least four times - twice on PS2, once on Xbox and once on PC.

ATV Offroad Fury I bought twice

Dave Mirra BMX I probably bought once for each prev-gen systems.

Jeff-DSA

Aurora said:

You know what I mean.

RE (PSOne)
RE (PC)
RE: Director's Cut
REmake

Super Mario Bros. (NES)
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (GBC)
Super Mario Bros. (GBA)

And so on...

thepatient666 said:
For some reason I've bought and sold Waverace for GC 3 times...haven't sold it again yet.

In the first year or so of Gamecube, I did the same with the Rogue Squadron and Sonic games every time I needed beer money. I've got em all again now :/

Vieo

I have purchased Diablo 2 for myself a total of 6 times. I don't have a copy right now, but something tells me I'm going to buy it again in 2007.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i have three different versions of metal slug 3 -- mvs, ps2, and xbox -- and i intend to buy the psp compilation. that's not too absurd, i suppose.

Taichu

I rented "Krusty's Funhouse" as a kid an absurd amount of times. That, and Battletoads.

Otherwise, I'll Pokémon. I have waaay too many Pokémon games. And I'm sure some GAFites are worse.

KiKaL

Not sure if these count since they are each slightly differnt

Resident Evil
Resident Evil GCN
Resident Evil : Deadly Silence

then
Mario 64 and Mario 64 on DS

lachesis

Well, I have to say Tetris. Tetris on GB, Tetris on GBC, Tetris and Dr Mario on GBA, then Tetris DS. Multiple version of Tetris on my PC, and last but not least, that cheap 4 in 1 version of BW tetris.:lol

Other than that, I bought JP ver of Shenmue II, Euro ver of Shenmue II, and NA version of Xbox Shenmue II. And you guessed it, I have US shenmue I and JP shenmue I as well... plus US Yakuza, and JP Ryuga Gotoku.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I bought several games too many times.

Once.

I'd like to name a few.... but people will hit me.

RumFore

Banned
Marvel vs Capcom - Import for Dreamcast, US version for Dreamcast, PS2 version and finaly the XBox version.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 - Import for Dreamcast, US version for Dreamcast, PS1 version (and I am pretty sure I will buy anthology)

Also bought Jet Set Radio for Dreamcast 3 times. Would sell it then end up missing it.:lol

I ended up buying alot of Dreamcast games twice because I would import most of them then buy the US version once released.

Odysseus

Banned
I have bought the following twice:

Diddy Kong Racing - loaned a copy to a coworker, she never returned it and eventually quit.

Gauntlet Dark Legacy - gave the GameCube copy to a friend when I bought my Xbox

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance - see Gauntlet

Viewtiful Joe - gave the GameCube copy to a friend when it was released on PS2

SSX Tricky - traded in the GameCube version when I bought a PS2

Amped 2 - this is the only one I bought, god rid of, repurchased later. I originally got it with Crimson Skies and Grabbed by the Ghoulies during the annual Toys R Us 3:2 deal. I quickly traded it in because I didn't get it at first. I repurchased it for 10 bucks on eBay the next summer. Would you believe it's now one of my favorite games?

The game I have bought the most, however, is Halo. Unlike the aforementioned games, I still own all the copies that I have purchased. I got it first in June 03. I bought it again on New Years Eve that year when I went over to a friend's (same dude who got all my GC castoffs) and somehow managed to leave the game disk behind (turns out, it was in my SSX3 for PS2 case). It was quicker just to go to a store to buy another copy than to drive all the way back to my apartment. Then in 2004 prior to the launch of Halo 2, I bought the PC edition of Halo to get my online multiplayer fix. So I have three copies of Halo in my possession.

NichM

Banned
I bought Space Channel 5:

in English, on Dreamcast
in Japanese, on Dreamcast
in Japanese, on PS2
in English, in the SE collection
on GBA

I should get rid of these, now that I've got them listed out here...

jgkspsx

Well, uh, I own Joust for:
- Tandy Color Computer (cough... Buzzard Bait and Pegasus and the Phantom Riders, anyway, god bless you Steve Bjork)
- Atari 2600
- Atari 5200
- Atari 7800
- Atari ST
- Lynx
- GameBoy
- PC
- Genesis
- PS1
- Game.com (augh the horrible pain)
- GameCube
- PSP

pswii60

Bought Phantasy Star Online for DC

Then bought Phantasy Star Online Ep 2 (which has V1 in it anyway) for DC

Then bought Phantasy Star Online for GC

Then bought Phantasy Star Online for Xbox

and guess what....

it's STILL not f£&^ing BC on 360!! get a move on ms

jko

i have 6 copies of Ultima VI, and that's not including the 2 copies of Ultima Collection that i own. :)

DustinC

I've probably bought Ocarina of Time around 6 times or so.

Once as the OOT/Master Quest disc for the Cube.
Once as the Zelda Collection for Cube.

And I've probably bought/sold/bought the N64 one 4 times.

I have this problem with older systems too.

Super Street Fighter II
-Genesis

Street Fighter Collection (Super Street Fighter II, Super Street Fifhter II, SF Alph 2 Gold)
-Saturn

Super Street Fighter II X import
-Dreamcast

Super Street Fighter II Turbo Rivival
-GBA

Street Fighter Alpha 3
-Dreamcast

Street Fighter Alpha 3^
-GBA

Street Fighter Zero 3^^ (import) + (D-Pad Top Up)
-PSP

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology (SFA, SFA2, SF ALPHA 3!!)
-PS2

Street Fighter III Double Impact (SF3. SF3 2nd Impact)
-Dreamcast

Street Fighter III Third Strike
-Dreamcast

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (HSF2, SF3TS)
-Xbox LIVE

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (HSF2, SF3TS)
-PS2 (twice!! 1 for me, 1 for my sister)

it`s not over yet,, I intend to by Capcom Classics Colletion II for PS2 for Super SF2 Turbo

and buy Capcom Classics Reloaded for PSP for SF2, SF2CE, SF2T Hyper Fighting

:D :D :D :D :D

Ryck

Street Fighter 2 - Snes
Street Fighter 2 Special Champion Edition- Genesis
Street Fighter 2 Turbo - Snes
Super Street Fighter 2 - Sfam
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo- 3do
Street Fighter Collection- Ps1
Street fighter Alpha- Ps1
Street Fighter Alpha2-Ps1
Street Fighter Alpha 3- Ps1
Street Fighter Collection- Saturn
Street Fighter Collection 2- Ps1
Super Street Fighter II Turbo Rivival- Gba ( forgot about that one)
Street Fighter Aniversary Collection- Ps2
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology- Ps2
Capcom Classics Col ( for Sf2) - Ps2
Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting - Xbox360

Capcom classics 2- Ps2 ( coming soon)

*hugs gutter_trash * So this is what its like when doves cry...

Link1110

Final Fantasy II (SNES)
Final Fantasy IV (J-PS1)
Final Fantasy Chronicles
Final Fantasy IV (WSC)
Final Fantasy IV (GBA)

Tales of Phantasia (SFC)
Tales of Phantasia (PS1)
Tales of Phantasia (GBA-US)
Tales of Phantasia (PSP)

EGM92

I bought Fantavision for PS2 like 7 times...

I bought it at launch for 39.99 then traded it for Dynasty warriors, bought it and resold it whenever I got cravings for Puzzle games ... and bright fireworks. The guy at EB looked over my account there and said "you must really like this game! you've bought it like 6 times at 9.99, is it any good?" and I always respond "NO" :(

Dizzy

Banned
GTA: Vice City/GTA double pack

Bought it on PC during Summer 2003.

It was screwing up a lot, I was a PC n00b back then and really didn't know much about technical issues like that. I heard that it was coming to Xbox in a double pack so I sold it.

Bought the double pack on release day in January 2004

Got fed up with the bugs in the game making it damn near unplayable so I sold it.

Bought the double pack on PS2.

I was happy with it, it was all fine....

Then for some reason I ended up eventually getting the double pack on xbox again. the bugs weren't as bad this time and it's been ok.

All that and I never even liked the game that much :lol

Code_Link

Ocarina of Time -- N64
Ocarina of Time: Player's Choice -- N64 (I thought the complete gold box looked pretty cool)
Ocarina or Time -- Wind Waker Pre-order Disc
Ocarina of Time -- Zelda Collector's Edition

I still want to get one of the original N64 gold carts on eBay, too.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i bought three copies of virtua racing on the 32x on the same day.

I just forgot i'd already picked it up...

Luckett_X

Banned
PC game, Outcast.

Original copy, replacement copy.

Years later wanted to replay it, game had gone missing.

Bought it on ebay, ended up being a copy entirely in German. Found another one in a store, bought that and brought it home just as Mother Luckett went on a spring clean rampage and unearthed the missing copy.

Amusingly I'm not sure where any of the copys are currently. Will have to have a look later!

Vieo said:
I have purchased Diablo 2 for myself a total of 6 times. I don't have a copy right now, but something tells me I'm going to buy it again in 2007.

Same thing here, I always get back into the game and i always can't find either the original or expansion disk.

ourumov

MoxManiac said:
I don't know why this popped into my head, but I think i've purchased every home version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 to date.

I bought the PSX version at launch.

I bought the Dreamcast version shortly after it was released.

I bought the import Saturn version a bit later than that.

Bought the GBA version at launch.

Bought the PSP version at launch.

And finally, Street Fighter Alpha Anthology.

Note that with the exception of the Saturn version (which I obtained for under what it cost new to import) I paid full price every time. Capcom must love me.

I know cvxfreak has done something similar with RE games. Well?
I did the same. All versions of Zero 3 here :p
And luckily a friend stopped me from buying the CPS2 board...

LuCkymoON

Banned
My xbox broke friday night 2 years ago at 3 am I drove to 2 diferent walmarts in near by cities to buy another one at 3 am. Shit I had games to play that weekend lol

I'm often buying ports of a game I already have and want to collect, so I can keep the IMO best possible version. Most of the time I end up selling the old game (Skies of Arcadia DC, GTA 3 & VC PS2 or Beyond Good & Evil GC), but sometimes I just can't part with the originals, so I own some games like Shenmue II and Chrono Trigger twice.

If I think about it I should actually have Ocarina of Time 4x in my collection, once on the N64 an three times on the Cube, thanks to the WW-Bonusdisc and the Zelda Collector's Edition.

Top Bottom