• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever had a finger nail removed?

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
So...uh...I don't really want to go into the details of this (until I've had significantly more alcohol) because the experience was really traumatic and only about 2 months ago, but I had a finger nail ripped out of one of my fingers by a doctor. The anesthetic he used didn't work, and I felt the entire damn thing. It's healed now...but...

Anyone know how long the nail takes to grow back?

I'm asking here because I've seen far weirder questions asked, and I don't want to come across any horrifying pictures by accident in a well-intentioned Google search.

I've had the same nail come off twice due to sudden physical impact and they both grew back.

Unless there's and underlying condition related to the growth of the nail, I wouldn't worry about it.

Atrus

Gold Member
I've had several toe nails fall off due to trauma and bleeding under the nail. I takes about 6 months or so to grow back.
Just keep the area clean and it should be back to normal unless there are complications with the nail bed, so take good care of it while you recover.

Oof. Thanks.

Am I?

I'm sort of expecting it not to, although I'd love for that not to be the case.
Yeah, she's almost 30(happen to her when she was like around 8 I think) and it hasn't grown back. It's kind of a creepy just by looking at it.

Last edited:
I've had several toe nails fall off due to trauma and bleeding under the nail. I takes about 6 months or so to grow back.
Just keep the area clean and it should be back to normal unless there are complications with the nail bed, so take good care of it while you recover.

I agree with this, about 6 months.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Is a nail that falls off due to trauma or natural causes though different than something yanked out by tweezers? Because my entire nail was pulled out.

Maybe I'll post more about it later; I've gotta run to meet some friends/family right now. But eh...

Fuck.

There's a reason they use that as a method of torture.

Makariel

Anyone know how long the nail takes to grow back?
I had a toenail removed, took about 3 months to grow back if I remember correctly, but looked very different from the others at first. Took a few more years growing out until it looked "normal" again. I still notice the difference, but proably because I look at it every day. But unless you're a hand model you should be fine. Just make sure you keep it clean and free from infections. Your GP might be able to give you advise what to use.

Codes 208

Not by choice. When i was younger i stubbed my toe so hard it ripped my toenail to hanging on literally by a thread. When it finally fell off it took a few months to regrow, but it was mishappen. Kinda looked like a ruffle chip in texture.

I will say that bathing my foot in a warm bath of epsom salt did help soothe the pain.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I had a toenail removed, took about 3 months to grow back if I remember correctly, but looked very different from the others at first. Took a few more years growing out until it looked "normal" again. I still notice the difference, but proably because I look at it every day. But unless you're a hand model you should be fine. Just make sure you keep it clean and free from infections. Your GP might be able to give you advise what to use.
Oh. Huh. Then I think my nail has already grown back in its first bizarro form.

Thanks, folks.

camelCase

I've had no experience with this other than biting it off when I was superyoung but all this thread has made me think about is the awful scene in Witcher 3 where you know what happens.

-Minsc-

I remember half one finger nail being ripped off when I was a child. Don't remember how long it took to grow back.

I slammed my right index finger in the door of a car when i was a teenager. worse pain i have ever experienced in my life. I could literally see stars like in cartoons for 10 minutes. a week and a half later it turned black and fell off. Took a few months to grow back.

Last edited:
In my early 20's I had a construction job and hit my thumb nail with a framing hammer. Was in a tight spot and my hammer hit something on my down swing, directing the hammer head onto my thumb, rather painful. The pressure built up under the nail, was throbbing and painful. Went to the doc the next day and he drilled some tiny holes in it the relieve the pressure, thank god.

My nail grew back fine eventually, but it took a while for it to come back. Can't even tell now. Lost a toenail or two due to banging them in sports, etc. but they all came back fine. You should be good to go eventually OP.

Top Bottom