• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever have awkward/weird interactions in public?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Maybe I'm overthinking this just like when I got my tag but anyways on to the interaction. I want to preface by saying this whole interaction took place in Spanish.

I went to a taqueria and usually the host/hostess says hi/good evening! How many? Seat yourself wherever you'd like or they lead you to a table. This time was different though. I walk in and there's a guy there and he says "Can I help you?" Now I don't think I look like a traveling salesman or a Mormon missionary nor do I look particularly homeless. I was taken aback a little so I just smirked and said "I'd like to eat?" lol. Guess that made the guy feel awkward and he replies "Certainly, sit wherever you like."

Don't know why this stuck with me.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
As a kid I once went up to a woman and gave her a hug thinking she was my mom.

It turned out not to be my mom.

I just awkwardly ran off.

backing up homer simpson GIF

Last edited:
He might have been new there, or just has a less layed back style... Not sure.

It's difficult to point out one from where I live, because Brazilians are very outgoing and social... Like your neighbor talks to you like they are your old buddy or something. It's rare to come across someone "uptight" that makes things awkward.

I think the most awkward it can get for me, is just me being polite to employees, and them just not matching that same energy.

I say "hi, good morning", they say nothing. I say "thank you", they say nothing, and look like they are fighting the urge to roll their eyes.

I don't expect them respond, and I don't small talk ever. It just makes me feel bad.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
He might have been new there, or just has a less layed back style... Not sure.

It's difficult to point out one from where I live, because Brazilians are very outgoing and social... Like your neighbor talks to you like they are your old buddy or something. It's rare to come across someone "uptight" that makes things awkward.

I think the most awkward it can get for me, is just me being polite to employees, and them just not matching that same energy.

I say "hi, good morning", they say nothing. I say "thank you", they say nothing, and look like they are fighting the urge to roll their eyes.
I don't expect them respond, and I don't small talk ever. It just makes me feel bad.
It was just weird I've never been
greeted with "How can I help you?" at a restaurant.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I was handing in a ticket for a theater to the usher or whatever, and he looked at it and said something along the lines of "Oh, this is a really good one", handed me back my stub, then proceeded to feint. I missed the first five or so minutes of Logan because I was helping to insure the guy was ok. He woke up and needed to take some kind of shot. I don't know what his condition was, but apparently he forgot to take his treatment.

mitch1971

Gold Member
I was walking through an in-door shopping area with a friend when I was around 18, 19. As we got to this large area we noticed a fashion show was happening, promoting several local shop brands of clothing. The women were attractive models and so we hung around a minute or so to admire the curves on show. At one point a woman came walking down the catwalk looking sweeeeeeet. I leaned over to my mate and said ' I'd fuck that rotten!'. Except it wasn't my mate I was talking to but a woman staring at me with eyes wide and mouth aghast. My friend had just popped into a nearby shop without me noticing. I just looked at her, smiled, said sorry, and made my way out of the crowd.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I got one when I was working at a very popular record store downtown in the late 80's/early 90's as a cashier manager.

I was working in july during tourist season at my cashier spot.
It's very busy so I just ring stuff up as my bagger buddy bags the stuff.

I hear banging on the windows and notice a bunch of girls with their faces glued on the glass.
I'm in the zone so I just punch the prices (That was before the scanning shit, you had to type "19.99", 23.99", etc...).

My bagger hands me a platinum American Express card.
I put it through our machine to press with the carbon copy receipt.

It reads "Lorenzo Lamas" (From "Grease" & "Snake Eater" fame).
He's standing there with his 7 foot tall playmate girlfriend beside him.

I look up and say: "LORENZO LAMAS, whatchoo doing in Montreal?"

He replies "Well I'm shooting a movie, I love your city it's very european. You a Lakers fan?" I was wearing an LA Lakers t-shirt.
He goes on "But here it's HOCKEY RIGHT? Wayne Gretzky!" as he gives me a wink.

I decide to have some fun.

"Besides hockey you should definitely visit during our winter season.
You see, our Eskimo population (yes I said "Eskimo") is out of control and our government approved of hunting games to thin out the population".

He's standing there silent.

"You choose an Eskimo and give them a head start in the woods.
If you want a challenge pick a young vigorous 16 year old or for an easier hunt you can choose an elderly man or woman. Give it a try sometime!"

As I hand him over his credit card and my bagger hands him his goods I'll always remember the confused look on his face as he slowly walked away towards the exit 😆

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
With how many people pick up food or show up as food delivery drivers “how can I help you?” Isn’t that odd anymore.

Your responses is what comes across weird here to me friendo.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
A few little ones. I remember sitting in a university class when a lady leaned over to me and random asked me “ do you speak Korean?” Now, it’s probably not that weird but I’m like the whitest dude ever and I’d never spoken to this woman before seen her.

The weirdest part is that after I said no she didn’t do or say anything else but asked the dude on the other side (who was also white) and they instantly started speaking what I can only assume was Korean to one another. It was weird.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Let me tell you about Old man Jenkins.

As teenagers, my friend and i hated this old guy who lived in his neighborhood. We would always mess with him. We called him Old man Jenkins.

One time my friend crapped into a paper bag, set it on fire, and put it on Jenkins doorstep. Then rang the doorbell and ran to his car.

As we were driving away I heard him cussing at us as he stomped out the fire with his boot. We were laughing hysterically.

We did some dumb shit as teens.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
In my early 20's I hooked up with a cool chick in a bar.
She was pale, sort of sickly looking but super sexy with long black hair & clear blue eyes like a husky.

We talked about books a lot. Flaubert, Bukowski, Rimbaud, Sartre whatever.

The next morning instead of kicking her out like I usually did we go out for brunch at a nearby café.

We talk about ourselves a bit and she tells me about her diabetes and how she might go blind because of it.

I say: "Ah shit that would suck because your eyes are so beautiful".

She replies in a most deadpan manner "My eyes would stay the same color I would just be blind."

I felt like a naked QB fumbling the ball in front of a sold out stadium crowd.

I should have kicked her out 😁

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I worked for 4 years in a gaming store....so yeah.
Best one was the dude that came once a month to show us his My Little Pony fan art (it was bad)
I remember a guy use to come into GameStop, open up his paycheck, and fart real loud. He would also come in with another kid and they’d have pretend sword fights in the store.

I remember one time this older gentleman came into the store to show off his Pokemon badges on his NDS. He stopped coming in after we asked him what was in his pocket, it was an Action Replay he was trying to steal.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I worked at a CD store and caught a kid stealing. He was a fat kid, maybe 12. Dumbass tried to steal like a $2 Korn sticker.

Since I caught him I got to take him in the back room and wait for the cops, and he’s just crying like crazy so nervous begging for me to let him go. Any kid would be scared but he’s like having a breakdown.

Cop gets there and searches him and his pockets are just loaded full of women’s underwear and lingerie he’d stolen from all over the mall. All large sizes too….

Explained the freak out. Cop took him outside and yelled at him and called him a little uhhh… f-word.

His Dad told us his Mom had died a year earlier… kind of made the whole thing sad.

Last edited:

T-0800

I was walking towards this woman once who I didn't really know but kind of knew who she was and felt I needed to acknowledge her. My mind is thinking do I say 'Hi' or "How are you'. I couldn't decide and when it came time to say something it's like my brain said well if you're not going to pick one I'm just going to load both sayings into your mouth. I blurted out 'hannggngh' like a retarded person. She looked at me weirdly and I just kept on walking.

cormack12

Gold Member
I remember being out in the city centre one night with mates. Saw a girl who worked in the same place and I was mildly flirting with at the time.

She'd obviously just come out later whereas we'd been drinking since the afternoon so we're pretty much done in. She had probably only had a couple of wines. I Had my mate leaning on my shoulder absolutely wasted.

So we stopped and just chatted to her for a good 10/15 minutes seeing where she was off, trying to maybe meet up later when my mate who think he was whispering in my year loudly said 'you're in there lad, she is frothing at the gash for you'.

55744448-d871-43c0-9735-21bb9d60ac0a_text.gif

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I worked at a CD store and caught a kid stealing. He was a fat kid, maybe 12. Dumbass tried to steal like a $2 Korn sticker.

Since I caught him I got to take him in the back room and wait for the cops, and he’s just crying like crazy so nervous begging for me to let him go. Any kid would be scared but he’s like having a breakdown.

Cop gets there and searches him and his pockets are just loaded full of women’s underwear and lingerie he’d stolen from all over the mall. All large sizes too….

Explained the freak out. Cop took him outside and yelled at him and called him a little uhhh… f-word.

His Dad told us his Mom had died a year earlier… kind of made the whole thing sad.
What's his mom dying have to do with his women's underwear fetish?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Hate it when you wave at someone and it isn't the person you think it is.

Or... when they wave to you and your like who the fuck is that person - then that person realises and feels like you do when you do it.

This is more like a stupid thing I did and embarrassed myself, but I once accidentally pulled the emergency stop on an elevator located in a museum. It was just a tiny elevator with glass sides that you could see the entire museum from that went between the ground floor and the second floor. It wasn't really a standard foolproof elevator for idiots, it had a lot of buttons available to play with. For some reason I thought the big red button was like a cancel my request button, not a stop the elevator dead and start ringing an alarm bell button. Once I hit that and the bells were screaming all around me and I was suddenly trapped in a glass elevator halfway between floors, I started panicking and didn't know what to do. Several security guards were miming to me that I had to pull the button back out (weird) and I was finally able to figure that out and stop the madness, but it was incredibly embarrassing. When the doors finally opened I shakily stepped out and the gaggle of security guards immediately began aggressively asking why I hit the button and all I could say was "I don't know" God, that sucked.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Kelsey Grammer Yes GIF by Paramount+

Oh yeah,
The time at a hostel in had a guy in the room talking to someone in the bunk above me accusing him of drug dealing for no reason the guy denied it but the accusation kept coming Then when I tried to be nice by saying I may snore. I later got woken up at five am being told I snore too loud and if I did it again he would stab me.
I left extra early in the morning that day.

Another time when I managed to pluck up the courage at a nightclub to dance with an older women I was dancing and had a boner.
She didn’t seem to mind. I was a bit drunk as well (this was when I used to drink).
Tbf she danced close with me the whole song but after she wanted to leave. Maybe I’m a shit dancer maybe it was the teenage boner?

Last edited:

JCK75

I'm somewhere on the spectrum so awkward interactions are the norm..
enjoy your meal!
thanks you too!!

I tend to be quiet and polite mostly (except behind the wheel of a car in which case I'm yelling at every person in front of me on the road)
I had one interaction that was really strange and I just had to turn it back on the douche

I'm in the mall to get a haircut, they only take cash so I had to to to the food court to hit the ATM, a rednecky dude is using it with his girl standing next to him and I just stand back a bit and wait patiently.
He just sits and plays in his wallet forever but I'm not in a hurry so I say nothing
She looks back and notices me waiting and tells him to move as someone is waiting to use the machine
while a normal non-piece-of-shit would say sorry and move he stares me down and says "He can fuckin speak"
but does move..
I go from chill to pissed really quick and decide to nuke him the best way I know how
I sign "thank you" to the girl and say it like I'm deaf

10 minutes later I pass her storming out and him saying sorryu and begging her to come back...

Meicyn

Gold Member
About 15 years ago when I was a young troop, Commander had everyone in a last second meeting. She had a habit of being long-winded and sometimes talked down to her subordinates as if they were children. Most folks didn’t like her and the meeting was dragging on longer than ever. She started addressing each person individually at one point. Eventually she got to me and I don’t remember what she said specifically, only how I responded.

“Yes mom.”

I was horrified by my Freudian slip. Several giggles and snickers from several peers and the Commander couldn’t hide her combined expression of horror, embarrassment, and a hint amusement. I then attempted to correct what could not be resolved.

“Sorry… yes ma’am.”

The damage was done, and the meeting ended shortly thereafter. I was then called to her office for a short notice one-way discussion while I stood at attention the entire time, lmao.

Dr. Suchong

When I was about 15/16 I was on a long ass flight to Florida.
During the flight I needed to pee, but this was around the time in my teen years I was getting mad ass random boners.
Naturally this was one of those times, and I couldn't quell the wretched thing because I was tensing from holding my pee in, so I was increasing the blood flow to the old chap if nothing else.
Worse, I was wearing some kind of flimsy grey sweat pants so it was glaringly obvious.
If I'd been wearing jeans I'd of been able to tuck it behind my belt as a means of holstering my errant fishing pole.
Reluctantly I had to stand and join a (huge) line for the toilet.
I was stood inches from a row of seats and many people politely pretended not to notice.
Although one womans eyebrows raised and she gave me a coy smile.
So not so bad afterall I suppose lol

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
When I was 12 years old, my family and I went to Washington D.C. We stopped at a pizza place for lunch and ended up with half a large pepperoni left over. Since we were going to be walking all day and didn't want to let a bomb-ass pizza go to waste, I asked an apparently homeless guy not far from the restaurant if he would like it.

He stared 12-year-old me down and said, "I do not need food. I need money. Do you have $20?"

"Uh...no."

"Then go away."

Ended up setting the pizza on a trash can a few feet from him. I wonder if he ate it.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
When I was 12 years old, my family and I went to Washington D.C. We stopped at a pizza place for lunch and ended up with half a large pepperoni left over. Since we were going to be walking all day and didn't want to let a bomb-ass pizza go to waste, I asked an apparently homeless guy not far from the restaurant if he would like it.

He stared 12-year-old me down and said, "I do not need food. I need money. Do you have $20?"

"Uh...no."

"Then go away."

Ended up setting the pizza on a trash can a few feet from him. I wonder if he ate it.
Reminds me of a time some guy at a gas station offered me a wrapped up breakfast sandwich. I said sure since I was hungry. I opened it and their was mold all over it.

I threw it away after the guy left.

INC

Gold Member
Every interaction I have is weird and awkward

My handshake fear is always on high alert.

Top Bottom