• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever Oasis |OT| Secret of ActRaiser in the Desert aka This Year's Other Egyptian ARPG

If they ever do make a sequel to this game (and I really hope they do, actually), the ability to change equipment or party members on the field could really stand to be a thing. I can understand the thought of wanting to craft a party for whatever your particular goal is, but that whole piece of strategy is self-defeated by your ability to warp back to town pretty much literally whenever anyway, so there's never anything really stopping you from insta-warping back to town, getting what you need, and immediately jumping right back to where you just were to proceed, the only cost being a bunch of needless loading time. Coming across, say, a paraflower or pellet spot is the only time that I really feel like the game's general flow breaks down.

Yeah, especially annoying as you can't really just pick a team for a dungeon and stick with it as there will be roadblocks that need abilities you can't cover with just two party members. Definitely my main complaint with the game I think.

Being able to have a "reserve" team that you can swap in would have been a really good idea I think.

JonnyKong

Got the second lumite last night, the boss in there wasn't particularly tricky, but some of the enemies leading up to him knocked me for six. I'm still really enjoying the game although the swapping out of characters is starting to irk me now. I know it only takes a minute or so using the aqua gate, but it's just completely unnecessary to make it that faffy. I find myself running past things in the caves that I need skills from other characters for because I simply can't be bothered to go through the menus.

GetLucky

I don't play a lot of RPGs, but I liked the demo for this game. Would I enjoy the full game if I'm not great at micromanaging? I'm afraid I'd screw up the Oasis because I'm more interested in the adventure aspect.

JonnyKong

I don't play a lot of RPGs, but I liked the demo for this game. Would I enjoy the full game if I'm not great at micromanaging? I'm afraid I'd screw up the Oasis because I'm more interested in the adventure aspect.

I think you'll be fine, it's not very taxing or deep, but still fun.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

You should be fine. The micromanaging aspects of the game aren't that deep, and even if you do screw up, there's no harsh punishment for it.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Finished this last night, really enjoyed it overall. Some minor annoyances like having to swap characters frequently (which I'm sure everyone has complained about at least once), but at least you can warp back to the oasis fairly quickly. Would have also been nice if you could have at least adjusted Tethu's equipment on the fly (well, only really swapped to a crossbow or back, so even just that). I also felt here and there that it would have been nice if you could have had more shops at a time, but considering how difficult having all materials on hand after you start upgrading your shops is, I don't find that a huge deal.

I really liked that you could use any character you wanted as a party member. It was also neat that upgrading the booths would also give the respective characters stat boosts and new skills. Some cool designs too. It's a nice looking game too, and music was mostly solid. Controls were fine too. Some more weapon variety would have been nice, but I liked what was there. The general gameplay loop of a new resident showing up on a day and then doing a quest or building a particular booth kept me engaged. Story was average and predictable but not offensive at all by any means.

Overall I was really satisfied. Shame it came out so late in the 3DS lifespan, because it's really quite a gem but I feel like it'll get overlooked. I have talked a couple friends into picking it up though :p

Niraj

Tonight I finished getting all the residents, I believe. Not really interested in maxing out all the booths or anything else.

ggx2ac

I only got the game a few days ago but I haven't stopped playing since there's always something to do.

Even though your main character starts out with a sword, I've switched to using a wand. I always have some inclination to use magic.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
For those of you kind of still new to this game, I highly suggest y'all buy plenty of seeds from traveling merchants. Especially the pepper seed early on because you got a few stores relying on that.

ggx2ac

For those of you kind of still new to this game, I highly suggest y'all buy plenty of seeds from traveling merchants. Especially the pepper seed early on because you got a few stores relying on that.

Probably to add to that, make sure you check what merchants are trading.

It was very nice being able to trade 1x Magical Bone for 10x Fish Bones since I didn't like having to go out to farm Fish Bones for a resident that needs it to sell stuff.

Tonight I finished getting all the residents, I believe. Not really interested in maxing out all the booths or anything else.

Yay, congrats! I was happy at all residents & oasis max level as well. I've done a fair amount of booth maxing naturally but not much reason to get them all there. I can see they hoped the labyrinths would keep the game going post completion but I'd love some dlc, just a good reason to keep adventuring. I don't think I made half of the stuff in the synthesis tree, and I did a fair amount of searching for the materials.

It was very nice being able to trade 1x Magical Bone for 10x Fish Bones since I didn't like having to go out to farm Fish Bones for a resident that needs it to sell stuff.

Haha, when you realise this. In the end between travelling merchants and expeditions, you really don't have to grind for materials at all. Early on, I kind of felt the day/night cycle moved too fast for me to have time each day to hunt materials, and I couldn't really imagine how I'd cope later in the game but it's really a non issue in the end.

taoofjord

I hope this does well, Ever Oasis really is a great game and deserves to succeed (and a great reason to put the Switch down for a bit). : )

Niraj

Yay, congrats! I was happy at all residents & oasis max level as well. I've done a fair amount of booth maxing naturally but not much reason to get them all there. I can see they hoped the labyrinths would keep the game going post completion but I'd love some dlc, just a good reason to keep adventuring. I don't think I made half of the stuff in the synthesis tree, and I did a fair amount of searching for the materials.

Thanks, well done to you as well :) Yeah same here on the booth maxing. Think I did about 20 maybe? More than enough lol. I'd rather have something more substantial than the labyrinths for sure. Just too repetitive, it was kind of a slog going through those for the quests that required them. I definitely just made whatever weapons I ended up being able to make, never really went looking for any specific materials. It seems like a lot of the higher level weapons require materials/weapons that you can only get from the labyrinths, so that seemed like way too much of a nuisance to bother considering.

I didn't really fancy doing post-game stuff but definitely enjoyed my time with the game. Was about as long as it needed to be.

Quite relaxing to play. Not really a lot of challenge except the last boss, which I forgot to stock up on good healing items for. Don't think I ever needed to use the revive.

Nice looking game as well. Really charming style.

I just wish you could swap party members out in the field :(

ggx2ac

I hope this does well, Ever Oasis really is a great game and deserves to succeed (and a great reason to put the Switch down for a bit). : )

That's why I feel like it's going to become a hidden gem and be overshadowed by more popular 3DS games releasing this year like 'Hey Pikmin' and 'Metroid Samus Returns'.

Ever Oasis is releasing in Japan on July 13th along with the New 2DS XL so hopefully it will get decent sales there.

Thanks, well done to you as well :) Yeah same here on the booth maxing. Think I did about 20 maybe? More than enough lol. I'd rather have something more substantial than the labyrinths for sure. Just too repetitive, it was kind of a slog going through those for the quests that required them. I definitely just made whatever weapons I ended up being able to make, never really went looking for any specific materials. It seems like a lot of the higher level weapons require materials/weapons that you can only get from the labyrinths, so that seemed like way too much of a nuisance to bother considering.

Haha right? Go through the labyrinths a zillion times to make those weapons...but for what! I don't think I ever did get the recipe for the gold-vein sword that I think was holding me back from one of the really good swords for ages. Labyrinths seem like the perfect idea for if there had been co-op in the game, even just specifically contained to them. Fleshed out with that in mind could have been a cool addition.

How much longer do I have left if I've just arrived at the temple of trials?

Really not too long! It's the last proper dungeon.

JonnyKong

Whoop just finished.

The final boss turned into a bit of a slog because I ran out of all my health potions halfway through, so I just kept my distance and let my teammates do all the work, and that usually meant waiting a short while for them to come back to life after being killed.

It was a fun game overall, I'd give it 8/10.

It's just a shame that solving the majority of the puzzles only gives you those darn slabs as rewards, I'd rather have weaponry.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This game has been absolutely great for my 45 minute to 1 hour play sessions. Sometimes I'll try to tackle the next objective in the main quest, sometimes I'll just try to tackle my resident's side quests, and sometimes (usually when I only have 30 minutes or less) I can just run around finding items to sell in my resident's booths or spend the day farming / gathering stuff.

That being said, I'm getting towards the end of the game and am constantly finding myself in a situation where I'm always running out of booth goodies but have over 50,000 dewdems. I send my extra peeps out on gathering quests and such but haven't yet found a good "rhythm" to getting the items I need when I need them. I'm thinking about tearing down some of my bloom booths and storing them away so I have a) more residents free to go on missions and/or garden for me and b) so that I don't have a penalty to my happiness meter because stuff is out of stock.

Either that or I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I'm probably about 3/4 or so through the game and there isn't really that much of a penalty to the game itself if you just ignore all this sim city stuff.

How long was this game for you guys? Now that the dust has settled it seems like a good game and I might jump on it.
Took me just under 20 hours, and I did a fair amount of side content. It's not overlong, but there is post game content and the labyrinths if you want more.

So I'm in the second big dungeon right now and I have just defeated the final boss. When I get to the room with the treasure it says that I need some kind of green urn/pot thing? Where they heck do I find that thing? I pretty much explored the whole dungeon!

So I'm in the second big dungeon right now and I have just defeated the final boss. When I get to the room with the treasure it says that I need some kind of green urn/pot thing? Where they heck do I find that thing? I pretty much explored the whole dungeon!

I don't remember that. Did you try using your wind power on the chest?

Mcdohl

The more I play this game...the more I fall in love with it <3

Q: How do I equip stuff?

I go to the equipment screen but I can't change anything.

eXistor

Finished it a few days ago (clocked around 22 hours). Overall I really enjoyed it, but the constant need to switch characters was really starting to get old towards the end. That and the puzzles are of the Lego variety in that you just stand in front of a thing and press a button to use a skill. I really would have preferred a Zelda-style approach. That or at least give characters multiple skills to help alleviate the tedium. Also, the freedom to just warp back to the oasis at any given time really killed the feeling of going on an adventure, it's the one area they really dropped the ball I feel, they really should have allowed 2 skills per character, which would go a long way to fix this problem.

But really, the game was charming and fun for the most part. The Oasis building was simple and the combat fun with some good graphics and decent music. Also, the game never overstayed its welcome, which is a big issue for games these days. Definitely recommended.

Durock

Finished this game on Sunday. I had a really good time with my close 40 hours of play time. I love how the resident system works and hope Nintendo will utilize some of those elements and apply it to Animal Crossing. I love some AC, but it could evolve more in how people visit your town and become a part of it. Ever Oasis accomplishes it that in a unique and interesting way and I think AC could benefit from something similar.

Doorman

That's where I've been getting them and it's too slow, but I guess I have to grow more trees.

If you have your gardens advanced enough (which mostly seems to be tied to mainline story progression), keep an eye as you're going through the list of who to assign to each garden. Each plot has a different general yield, and each seedling specializes in certain things, which means a slightly different outcome per-seedling and per-plot. By the time you've unlocked the second garden bed there's probably at least one seedling you can put on it to get more consistent apples.

You are fairly far, yeah. What don't you like about it?

The combat is way too simplistic, and seems almost turn based the way the enemies will attack at set intervals and do nothing in between. The dungeons are also very simplistic; someone compared them to the lego games and I think they're even simpler than that. At least the lego games have characters with multiple abilities. The town stuff is pointless, the different stores mean nothing, just a different item to restock from a menu. Basically I think it's cool the game does all these different things, but everything it does is pretty mediocre.

How long was this game for you guys? Now that the dust has settled it seems like a good game and I might jump on it.

About 38 hours for me to finish, a few more on top for the extras that unlock afterwards :) although seeing people do it in 20 or under, I guess you can blitz the thing if you're just into the story/adventuring side, I can only guess all the extra time was working on town stuff as well. If you delve into both there's a lot to enjoy there

That's where I've been getting them and it's too slow, but I guess I have to grow more trees.

Haha that's the worst, when the little alcove at Kidung is the only place you can get. As mentioned you'll get a tree and also once you can deploy gardeners I think it's a reward.

Top Bottom