• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever Oasis |OT| Secret of ActRaiser in the Desert aka This Year's Other Egyptian ARPG

has anyone found the Drauk that allows you to hold fashion festivals???

Yea, don't worry about that, I think it pops up as part of the narrative, you can't miss that.

I got SO sidetracked this evening haha. I've just reached point where I've to
take the Veritas Blade to the great canyon
but I literally spent my entire session doing the level-up missions for my stores, then hunting the materials to stock them up nicely. Between actually going out myself, expeditions, gardening, and then I would hit the point where more missions would open up....the whole night got away from me. Not a bad thing though, I was really enjoying myself, just amazing how much you can dig in.

Taruranto

Did my first festival, opened a bunch of options too. The has a surprisingly large amount of QoL and care, it's definitely not a throwaway low budget RPG. Not bad for their first "real" actually developed game.

Psyfer

They grow a bunch of stuff at once but its random what and how much they grow.

It shows a list and their speciality when you pick someone and I believe the speciality indicates which of their listed crops gets a boost to the amount they produce.

They're actually really fast at growing stuff too.

To add onto this, each resident grows different things depending on the tree that is planted at that plot. I like to leave at least 1 plot empty because planting your own seeds and using dewadems on them makes them grow instantly the next day and increases the yield.

Also, the Fruit or Nut your resident specializes in takes up spots on the tree at the plot, something I didn't get at first. So if you put a resident at the first plot, instead of getting 2-3 Roseberries everyday, you'll get a mix of Roseberries and whatever fruit that resident grows. The herbs and flowers grow where you would usually put seeds, but you can give them seeds to grow something specific instead of what they usually grow.

Tovarisch

I just fell in love with the game... To be honest, I was shocked by the quality. Style, music, addictive gameplay. I often stop at the oasis at night to enjoy this melody. So mystical and ancient.
10/10

Graphics deserve a special praise. Grezzo learned a lot thanks to Zelda's remakes. I'd like to see the game was released on Switch :(
iWCQ06A.png

FIqQZGR.png

CRxMRNW.jpg

jGB1iD2.png

XJVRahR.png

I9IdeeE.png

If you have time and desire - write a thanks to them on Twitter.

TheMoon

I just fell in love with the game... To be honest, I was shocked by the quality. Style, music, addictive gameplay. I often stop at the oasis at night to enjoy this melody. So mystical and ancient.
10/10

Graphics deserve a special praise. Grezzo learned a lot thanks to Zelda's remakes. I'd like to see the game was released on Switch :(
iWCQ06A.png

FIqQZGR.png

CRxMRNW.jpg

jGB1iD2.png

XJVRahR.png

I9IdeeE.png

If you have time and desire - write a thanks to them on Twitter.

Wow you took some nice pics there!

Keep them coming, if you like. :)

I went and put them into the OP if you don't mind.

The game really is great, shame it seems it's slipping under the radar for many. Hopefully Grezzo gets another shot at an original game on Switch, even if this doesn't become a franchise.

Parshias7

Does removing a Bloom Booth get rid of the upgrade progress on it? I find myself getting stuck at points where I have a new villager that can make a booth that will attract another new person, but no space to plant it. I was wondering if I could say remove something like the pinwheel hut to make way for something more relevant without completely destroying my progress on that shop.

Ventara

Does removing a Bloom Booth get rid of the upgrade progress on it? I find myself getting stuck at points where I have a new villager that can make a booth that will attract another new person, but no space to plant it. I was wondering if I could say remove something like the pinwheel hut to make way for something more relevant without completely destroying my progress on that shop.

No, it doesn't. You can remove and plant it again later without worrying about losing anything, even stock.

in the Sanctuary of Light, after you defeat the Chaotic Serkah, what the heck are you supposed to do/put into the pedestal in the next room?

Edit: when in doubt, use wind

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So there seems to be different Noots? I got an Achievement for talking to each "kind" and one item I got said it increased the purchases of "red Noots"---I'm guessing this determines if they go for Food/Novelty/Fashion items?

To add onto this, each resident grows different things depending on the tree that is planted at that plot. I like to leave at least 1 plot empty because planting your own seeds and using dewadems on them makes them grow instantly the next day and increases the yield.

Also, the Fruit or Nut your resident specializes in takes up spots on the tree at the plot, something I didn't get at first. So if you put a resident at the first plot, instead of getting 2-3 Roseberries everyday, you'll get a mix of Roseberries and whatever fruit that resident grows. The herbs and flowers grow where you would usually put seeds, but you can give them seeds to grow something specific instead of what they usually grow.

Ah, thanks. I guess I get it now, but I feel like they could've explained that better...I've found quite a few tutorials a bit unclear in this game.

Until I get a rumor that mentions I need a certain booth, I've been sticking with the same till I level them to the max then I'll switch out---though I guess keeping the maxxed ones increases your Dewadem count.

The game really is great, shame it seems it's slipping under the radar for many. Hopefully Grezzo gets another shot at an original game on Switch, even if this doesn't become a franchise.

It's secretly the best Zelda game
and Persona game
released this year

Meier

Have an open slot from Gamefly. I haven't touched my 3DS in awhile but this could be interesting.. read through the OT and it looks intriguing. Are most people enjoying it? Reviews look pretty good (78 on MC I see) so I'm mostly sold.

and Persona game
released this year

Well that is certainly encouraging!

and Persona game
released this year

Haha, I'm not sure I pick up any Persona vibes from it, but definitely a mix of it's Mana heritage (makes me think of Legend Of Mana a little) and a light Zelda. It really is a wonderful game, I think I hit about 30 hours over this week and I don't want it to end haha. Delving into the labyrinths right now, really want that marble road

Just played the demo, seems cool. Surprised that the combat feels a little Dark Souls-y.

For those that have played it, what's the split on combat/sim stuff? Is it mostly combat with sim elements, or the other way around?

Oooh ooh oh!! I wanted to share this. I've noticed that the shading for the sand both during the day and at night looks really beautiful in 3D mode. The sand really glitters as you move around an area and if you turn off the 3D it's definitely less obvious.

I wonder if it's a 3DS effect where the info for your right eye has the pixel brighter than the pixel appears in the image for your left eye. I'll have to test it out later. I believe in Animal Crossing has a similar effect with the ground.

TheMoon

Oooh ooh oh!! I wanted to share this. I've noticed that the shading for the sand both during the day and at night looks really beautiful in 3D mode. The sand really glitters as you move around an area and if you turn off the 3D it's definitely less obvious.

I wonder if it's a 3DS effect where the info for your right eye has the pixel brighter than the pixel appears in the image for your left eye. I'll have to test it out later. I believe in Animal Crossing has a similar effect with the ground.

Star Fox 64 3D also had this, I think? Or I might be thinking of the sand shimmer in Star Fox Zero.

Just played the demo, seems cool. Surprised that the combat feels a little Dark Souls-y.

For those that have played it, what's the split on combat/sim stuff? Is it mostly combat with sim elements, or the other way around?

I'd say there's an even split. You definitely might see more combat if you're less inclined towards the oasis managing but I probably spend as much time doing my keep up work around town as I do going out and finding materials that I'm lacking or running the labyrinths for rare stuff when I'm not doing story stuff, which is quite Zelda-ish, puzzly dungeon work.

Maybe not hang your purchase too much on the idea of Dark Souls though. I love myself some Bloodborne, but this is very much Z targeting Zelda action over anything in depth like Souls with enemy patterns, stamina management etc.

I'd say there's an even split. You definitely might see more combat if you're less inclined towards the oasis managing but I probably spend as much time doing my keep up work around town as I do going out and finding materials that I'm lacking or running the labyrinths for rare stuff when I'm not doing story stuff, which is quite Zelda-ish, puzzly dungeon work.

Maybe not hang your purchase too much on the idea of Dark Souls though. I love myself some Bloodborne, but this is very much Z targeting Zelda action over anything in depth like Souls with enemy patterns, stamina management etc.

Thanks! And yeah, not expecting Dark Souls with the combat. I don't mind sim stuff, but if it's the only focus I get bored. A 50/50 split sounds cool. Purchased

Thanks! And yeah, not expecting Dark Souls with the combat. I don't mind sim stuff, but if it's the only focus I get bored. A 50/50 split sounds cool. Purchased

Dear lord man, now I feel so much pressure that I gave you good advice haha! I do hope you enjoy though, the game is super charming, I'm having a ton of fun with it. Surprised about the length too, I got the impression from reviews that it was maybe 20 hours but I'm at 30 right now and going strong. The sim stuff is definitely not the only focus and the devs have set it out in a way that you can tell they really hope folks dig into it, but to a fair extent you could actually skip a fair amount of the management if you wanted, and later on you can automate a bunch too.

Dear lord man, now I feel so much pressure that I gave you good advice haha! I do hope you enjoy though, the game is super charming, I'm having a ton of fun with it. Surprised about the length too, I got the impression from reviews that it was maybe 20 hours but I'm at 30 right now and going strong. The sim stuff is definitely not the only focus and the devs have set it out in a way that you can tell they really hope folks dig into it, but to a fair extent you could actually skip a fair amount of the management if you wanted, and later on you can automate a bunch too.

Ha ha no pressure. I played the demo and liked it, so I'm sure I won't hate the full game

Star Fox 64 3D also had this, I think? Or I might be thinking of the sand shimmer in Star Fox Zero.

You're right that it is used in Star Fox 64 too. I think it's also in Kid Icarus Uprising. It makes me think of some of the unique graphics effects that only some systems can do like the water effect in Grandia on the Sega Saturn.

I'm sure you will enjoy it, other than Fire Emblem this is the best 3DS release of the year thus far.

Hmm, that got me thinking. I haven't played Fire Emblem yet :( Yokai Watch 2 was probably my favourite thing out this year so far on the 3ds but yea, I would say this handily stands on the top of the pile (and I mean that in a nice way about YW, I like those games).

This game is absolutely fantastic! I'm at Oasis Level 7 and just digging everything about it. There's so much to do but it's never overwhelming.

bodine1231

I'm shocked by how much I'm liking this. I generally don't like sim games like Animal Crossing or Stardew because the game feels kinda aimless but I'm really digging the quest structure in this so far.

loudbill

This game is great! I bought it on a limb, and im surprised at how much im enjoying it. Im close to starting my first festival, and im excited to see what else lies ahead.

The combat is great, and so are the characters. Everything is just so adorable

JonnyKong

Just bought and started playing this today. I'm still early doors as I only have 5 residents and 3 shops so far, but I really like it, charming as hell. I love how relaxing it is, just what I need from Nintendo.

Aw. I *finished* the game tonight :( say it ain't so! I spent about 38 hours all in according to the activity log, and I thought the whole thing was wonderful. Thankfully there is some content saved for post story so working away at that as well as continuing to level my bloom booths to max. I thought the story was quite touching if simple overall, and the game just oozes charm and cheer. I was worried going in that the whole thing being set in a desert would lead to some sameyness but honestly I thought the locations were great, visually exciting and even quite striking at certain points, as the sun came up or down, or caught a spot at just the right angle. It's just such a nice game world to be in, I would love for them to build on top and come back with an even larger and deeper world to engage in, and co-op! That would be awesome.

I was really turned off of this by someone describing it as an animal crossing style game. I have nothing against them but the playstyle and tempo of the animal crossing games put me to sleep.

I was hoping it was a secret of Mana style adventure.

Ventara

I was really turned off of this by someone describing it as an animal crossing style game. I have nothing against them but the playstyle and tempo of the animal crossing games put me to sleep.

Honestly, it's more like 50% Zelda, 25% Animal Crossing and 25% Fantasy Life. Not as great as those games, and I still haven't finished the game, but this game has been a solid 8/10. I haven't played Secret of Mana, but if you're worried about this being slow, fear not, this is no Animal Crossing.

It is and it isn't a *animal crossing style* game. It isn't open ended the same way as Animal Crossing which has basically no goals except for the ones you set yourself bar a very few at the beginning. There is a defined story/adventure that takes you from dungeon to dungeon and different places in the world inbetween, gaining new allies, equipment, powers.

However, the town management does have a get up and do your chores vibe that pushes a little on the AC comparison point, and provides a lot of the fun of the game as both feed into each other in a really organic way. You will fund buying new weapons or gain new abilities for your allies by helping them manage their stores and so on, and vice versa. You can automate a fair bit of the management side of the game as it goes on and opens up options to you but I don't know. It's a mix of the two really, with a bit more weighed towards adventuring, by nature of the town upgrades etc taking you out into the world to gather resources, as well as the story.

Best bet is to try the demo!

Chaos17

I don't know why AC was even mentionned since this is more town management rahter than a social management. You raise a town and to make it grow it need to complete side quests, that's it. You don't go take tea with villagers or did I missed something ? Just downlaod the demo and make your own opinion about the gameplay, imo.

I don't know why AC was even mentionned since this is more town management rahter than a social management. You raise a town and to make it grow it need to complete side quests, that's it. You don't go take tea with villagers or did I missed something ? Just downlaod the demo and make your own opinion about the gameplay, imo.

Getting up, clearing sand, restocking the stores, gathering your money and seeing to your garden does have a little bit of that chorey activities feel but I agree, it's not that similar a comparison. I always got stumped when folks would compare Fantasy Life to AC to an extent too, but I guess it's just a shorthand way of saying if you like one and want to branch out, you may like the other. My partner is a diehard AC fan and plays very little in the way of *real* games but she found Ever Oasis to have enough freedom of expression in her character and town to give Ever Oasis a swing and she just finished the game last night :)

Taruranto

It's more like Dark Cloud than anything. The RPG part is fully developed.

Anyway... the game could have done with less tools, or at least they should have combined some. It obviously takes inspiration from Zelda, but in Zelda you can switch tools on the fly. I think it's overall a well designed game, but the tools end up making the exploration significantly worse in the end.

Now I'm after the 3 Luminites part, shops are leveling one after another, so the game is wearing me down a bit, a lot of fetch quests and warping around.

if i didnt know any better id think this was a level 5 game with better combat
demo is pretty fun so far
i can see how the specific party members for dungeon progression can be a drag though
It's more like Dark Cloud than anything. The RPG part is fully developed.
i thought the same

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This game's such a delight. I was optimistic going in, but I'm having way more fun than I was expecting.

I'd be happier if you could bring 4 characters at once to explore dungeons, but still. At least the kiosk that lets you switch up characters is right beside the water portal :p

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Picked this up last Monday, been enjoying it quite a bit. Oasis level 20 something, 50 residents.

I got my last resident & the final oasis upgrade last night. Still got a few bloom booths to max out but for the most part I'm done with this playthrough. The labyrinths are a fine idea for repeatable content but not really something that I could see keeping me engaged long term post story you know? When I do come back to the game, I think I would just restart to enjoy the adventure all over again. Really really charming game though, I hope it's just the start for Grezzo working on original stuff, whether it's a sequel to Ever Oasis or another new IP.

I got a little ending spoiler to tag but
I so wish the end game content has taken place post ending with the desert brought to life, that would have been <3

Doorman

If they ever do make a sequel to this game (and I really hope they do, actually), the ability to change equipment or party members on the field could really stand to be a thing. I can understand the thought of wanting to craft a party for whatever your particular goal is, but that whole piece of strategy is self-defeated by your ability to warp back to town pretty much literally whenever anyway, so there's never anything really stopping you from insta-warping back to town, getting what you need, and immediately jumping right back to where you just were to proceed, the only cost being a bunch of needless loading time. Coming across, say, a paraflower or pellet spot is the only time that I really feel like the game's general flow breaks down.

Top Bottom