• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Halo Game ranked

RAIDEN1

......by Mojo Plays, you would think the first Halo would be the absolute top, but it isn't...

Also on a separate note, for me this is one of the most "bad-ass" entries of a main master-chief villain that I've seen throughout the Halo games till date:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
What's the Mojo ranking? Don't want to watch the whole video.

Unequivocally correct objective ranking:

1. Halo CE
2. Halo 3
3. Halo Reach
4. Halo 2
5. Halo: ODST
6. Halo 4

Haven't bothered playing Halo 5 or Infinite.
Agreed. I'd put Infinite above 2. Haven't played 5.

Codes 208

H3 > HR > H2 > H4 > HCE > HI >>>> H5

Halo 3 i put hundreds of hours into its custom games with friends, it was such a friggin blast to play back in the day.
Reach still has my favorite campaign and MP mode (invasion.)
halo 2 was pretty damn iconic and what sold me on the franchise in the first place.
I actually liked halo 4’s story, the multiplayer was too much like call of duty in terms of gameplay but when playing the non-infinity mods it was actually pretty much in par with reach.

CE has some of the best levels (also by far the worst, the library) the flood plot twist is still one of my favorites in gaming but i have it further down simply because it feels too floaty and didnt age as well as 2 or 3 did.

Halo infinite is slowly making its way up as a competent halo game. Its been a painful two years of “every step forward is two steps backwards” with how 343 was handling the multiplayer, that is until season 3, the game started hitting its stride with content and maps, and by season 6 we finally got firefight. It was a 3/10 at launch for me but now its sitting around 7/10, oh, the campaign was ok. It felt like an in-between though so it was clearly not prioritized (which makes it worse that the campaign was a $60 mode and launched without co-op or level selection)

Halo 5 is fucking trash. The worst story by far, not to mention the most deceitful since it had nothing to do with the hunt the truth campaign prior to the game launch. The multiplayer over-compensated with the “halo 4 is too casual friendly” by being too competitive friendly (gameplay felt less halo and more tf2/ow/apex with the controls) the only things i liked about 5 were: 1) the req system at least meant free customizations even if you had to go through rngesus to get what you wanted and 2) warzone firefight was easily the best firefight mode of any halo game

ODST is…a game. Idk, i didnt hate it but i still think its overrated in the fanbase (i never cared for odst’s in general, spartans are much cooler and i would happily take another reach-like spinoff over another odst. I still want an elite spin-off though.)

Bonus: halo wars 1 was a good distraction. 2 was mediocre (the changes to the moneyary system over-complicated what worked as a console-centric rts game, like wtf would you do that?? Also im still salty about getting the season pass which promised a campaign dlc but when they announced the flood expansion campaign, it wasnt included with the season pass. Instead we got a three level long odst story. Thanks for that, dicks)

Kssio_Aug

I can't make a rank. But Halo CE and 3 were my favorites for sure. I don't think Halo 4, 5 and Infinite are bad games, but they're definitely quite flawed.
Halo Infinite had great gameplay, but the bosses were all annoying imo, and the open world didn't really elevated it in any way (and actually it seems to have made the overall level design on missions worse). But I still had a lot of fun with, since the gunplay and the grappling hook were so satisfying.

xBlueStonex

Halo CE is just timeless. I play it every year, and every year it never ceases to amaze me. My list would be:

Halo: CE
Halo 3
Halo: Reach
Halo 2
Halo: Infinite
Halo 3: ODST
Halo 4
Halo 5

Last edited:
Y'know, I think it says a lot about that series that I can put every Halo from CE to Reach in pretty much any order and still be satisfied.

That said, of the post-Reach entries:

Infinite
Halo 4
Halo 5

The truest GOAT of all Halo GOATness:

MDAxNA

Just slather your nuts all over my face you beautiful bastard

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Everyone here has pretty good takes. It’s interesting that people generally agree with each other about the Halo series. Not a ton of contention.

Every time I repay Halo CE campaign I’m always impressed at the end when the Flood and Covenant are going at each other.

God-tier soundtrack goes without saying.

There are so many awesome moments. But yeah, the entire last escape sequence on the Pillar of Autumn and the Warthog run to end it all, so iconic and exciting. 3 had an incredible segment and send off, but nothing beats CE for me.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I never bothered with the Halo games after 1, but I did buy the MCC and replayed the first game about a week ago... so this is deeply relevant to me now that I'm finally planning to check out the rest of the series. Or at least the Bungie ones.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Purely for campaign
Reach > 2 > CE > Infinite > ODST > 3 > 4
For multiplayer I preferred 2.
Also on a separate note, for me this is one of the most "bad-ass" entries of a main master-chief villain that I've seen throughout the Halo games till date:

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Halo 3-Halo 3ODST-Halo 2-Halo CE-Halo Infinite---Halo 4------Halo Reach-----Halo 5.

Anyone who puts that garbage Reach campaign up at the top of the ranking clearly hasnt played ODST.It did everything better than Reach in every way.More emotion,better story,better gameplay scenarios,better music.

amigastar

Boy, i've never played a single Halo game. Completely got under my radar, maybe because i was a PC player only for a long time (besides 3DS as second system)

Havoc2049

Boy, i've never played a single Halo game. Completely got under my radar, maybe because i was a PC player only for a long time (besides 3DS as second system)
Halo CE was a high profile release on the PC and sold over a million copies. It was also the first Halo release that brought online multi-player to the series. Although people (me included) did play Xbox Halo CE online through their PC via fan made tunneling software, like Xbox Connect, that tricked the Xbox into thinking it was playing a system link LAN game.

Halo 2 Vista was also a high profile (but somewhat controversial) release, as it launched with the Windows Vista OS and launched the Games for Windows brand.

Or were you one of those Amiga diehards that rocked an upgraded Amiga well into the 2000's? 😜

Anyways, The Master Chief Collection is great on PC.

marcincz

My fav is Halo 2.
Next are: 3, ODST, Reach, 1 and boring 4.
5 and Infinite at the end.
Only sp campaigns. Don't play mp.

Last edited:

amigastar

Halo CE was a high profile release on the PC and sold over a million copies. It was also the first Halo release that brought online multi-player to the series. Although people (me included) did play Xbox Halo CE online through their PC via fan made tunneling software, like Xbox Connect, that tricked the Xbox into thinking it was playing a system link LAN game.

Halo 2 Vista was also a high profile (but somewhat controversial) release, as it launched with the Windows Vista OS and launched the Games for Windows brand.

Or were you one of those Amiga diehards that rocked an upgraded Amiga well into the 2000's? 😜

Anyways, The Master Chief Collection is great on PC.
Lol, no. I've had an amiga but only in the beginning 90s.
Maybe i try the Master Chief Collection as it's on Game Pass if i'm not mistaken.

kyussman

I only ever owned the OG Xbox and Halo CE was pretty much the reason I bought it back then,what a game that was.......never owned another Xbox or played another Halo game.

Roberts

Can't really judge multiplayer, but I've played every campaign two or three times and my ranking would be:

Infinite
Reach

diffusionx

Gold Member
Halo 3
ODST
Halo CE
Halo Reach
Halo 2
Halo Infinite
Halo 4
Halo 5

If the mission levels in Infinite were not just shitty boring copy-pasted underground tunnels it would have been ranked far higher. I thought the open world design was very good. Story and characters and dialogue were all horrible though.

Last edited:
Unequivocally correct objective ranking:

1. Halo CE
2. Halo 3
3. Halo Reach
4. Halo 2
5. Halo: ODST
6. Halo 4

Haven't bothered playing Halo 5 or Infinite.
I agree with this list. Halo 5 was.. ok. I had a great time with Infinite. It was better than ODST. But you can’t top the trilogy.

m14

I only ever owned the OG Xbox and Halo CE was pretty much the reason I bought it back then,what a game that was.......never owned another Xbox or played another Halo game.
Were you never interested to play the sequels given that you enjoyed CE so much?

RAIDEN1

Halo Infinite was good, but it was one of the few Halo games I never brought...(the others being Halo Wars 1, ODST) but by the end of the campaign in Infinite I felt that the game was one of those "fire-and-forget" titles, ie once you've blasted through the campaign, there is nothing left back to go for, unless you are absolutely committed in wiping out every enemy camp there is for little reward.....I was hoping we would get some DLC to continue the fight to Atriox but looks like that will not happen....

kyussman

Were you never interested to play the sequels given that you enjoyed CE so much?
Not really,I got into PC gaming for a few years after selling my OG Xbox......was around the time Far Cry,Doom 3 and Half-life 2 were dropping,so these games felt like a step up from what Xbox was doing.....eventually dropped PC gaming for a PS3 then PS4.

Reactions: m14
If you're ranking them at the time they were released instead of going back decades (where games age significantly) and replaying them, it has to be Combat evolved. Game was groundbreaking at the time at least on consoles. Halo 3 as a package was the highlight of Bungie as a studio even to this day. After those it becomes much harder as there's things to like about all, but the worst or most disappointing from a campaign perspective was Infinite.

Top Bottom