• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every single game in the top 30 of japanese software sales last week was a Switch game

Zannegan

Is it really the first time? I honestly assumed this was a pretty common occurrence in the past few years with the Switch being so dominant. The PS5 is at nearly a million sold now though, and you know that's an enthusiast crowd. I wonder if Nintendo will be able to do it again.

Bodomism

Banned
Is it really the first time? I honestly assumed this was a pretty common occurrence in the past few years with the Switch being so dominant. The PS5 is at nearly a million sold now though, and you know that's an enthusiast crowd. I wonder if Nintendo will be able to do it again.
Top 10 yes, but not top 30 because there were few PS4/PS5 titles that ranked at the bottom of the chart.

Marty-McFly

Banned
The Nintendojo

giphy.gif

Aion002

Incredible.

Mobile devices are key in Japan. Props to Nintendo for understanding that since the beginning and doing it in the best way. They deserve all the success.

Sony quitted too soon. It would be almost impossible to take Nintendo's place, but for sure they could maintain a piece of the market.

Vita means life Sony... Not the death of a segment.

jigglet

Banned
Any of you oldies remember when the PS1 exploded onto the scene? It felt like it was over for Nintendo. Even as a huge Wii / DS fan, I thought those days were an anomaly. Man what a turnaround. They are the epitome of a "steady hand" guiding a ship.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Incredible.

Mobile devices are key in Japan. Props to Nintendo for understanding that since the beginning and doing it in the best way. They deserve all the success.

Sony quitted too soon. It would be almost impossible to take Nintendo's place, but for sure they could maintain a piece of the market.

Vita means life Sony... Not the death of a segment.
Sony is happy to sacrifice only concerned with blockbusters they don't care that they've abandoned japan for western audience.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Mobile gaming is main platform in Japan.

Unless Sony launch a portable gaming machine in Japan with major support from Japanese developers, it is almost impossible to market PS5 in Japan.

Duchess

What this means is that Sony really needs to reconsider a portable PlayStation.

Edit: I wonder how many of the players in Japan are using the Switch primarily on the go vs having it docked. Maybe some of them never have it docked?

Last edited:

Duchess

Any of you oldies remember when the PS1 exploded onto the scene?
Yep. There were photos in magazines of the queues to get a PS1. In one case, a queue was said to be a mile long, with gamers sleeping out overnight to keep their place.

Armorian

Banned
It's not a dead market. Nintendo sold 20 million Switch's there and a bazillion games.

It's Nintendoland.

So yeah, it's a dead market for me. People there are only interested in handheld experience, previous Nintendo home consoles weren't selling that well there too.

Porcile

What this means is that Sony really needs to reconsider a portable PlayStation.

Edit: I wonder how many of the players in Japan are using the Switch primarily on the go vs having it docked. Maybe some of them never have it docked?

I am sure the real answer is quite nuanced but I am 90% sure most young kids will play it undocked and high school kids to adults will play it docked. I have never seen anyone older than an elementary school kids playing it on a subway or train In Japan. Most teenagers will also use their phones to play multiplayer games on the train, or outside.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Good timing - I needed some salt on my potatoes :messenger_beaming:

Japan has always been a different market, that much is true. But it’ll still be interesting to see what people here will come up with to downplay this. I can’t fathom such a thread be free from concerned debbie downers (why they should ever be concerned would deserve a case study by itself, btw).

Anyway, we’re in for another very funny GAF thread, so thanks again and congratulations, Nintendo! 🍸

Elysion

Banned
I’ve long wondered what the reasons are for the total collapse of the Japanese home console market. We’re not talking about a slight decline here, but the utter implosion of what used to be a huge market segment. It’s genuinely baffling. Do people in Japan these days dislike playing at home or something? You’d think the whole Otaku demographic would prefer to play in their rooms, without the need for unnecessary social interaction. People often bring up the rise of mobile gaming, but that happened in the west too, yet there consoles are as strong as ever.

So what’s different for Japan? What changed during the last fifteen years?

First time it's ever happened. Nintendo has completed their utter domination of the market.
In 1988 the Famicom accomplished this. First time since though.

Neff

Any of you oldies remember when the PS1 exploded onto the scene?

I remember when PlayStation was generally considered a brave risk by an electronics company relatively inexperienced with the games industry. Then it came out and it was a phenomenal, affordable, incredibly well-made piece of hardware with amazing games. Nintendo was always too big and too successful to count out, though. Even when PlayStation really started to gain momentum in '96, Nintendo had already spectacularly shown off Super Mario 64 the previous year, which was enough for gamers to keep an open mind, and it more than lived up to the hype. I'd say it was around '97-'98 when N64's cartridge limitations became painfully obvious and PlayStation was absolutely dominating that it became apparent that Nintendo had been relegated to 2nd place as a brand. Still, they managed to make a lot of money during that time, more than Sony in fact.

jigglet

Banned
I remember when PlayStation was generally considered a brave risk by an electronics company relatively inexperienced with the games industry. Then it came out and it was a phenomenal, affordable, incredibly well-made piece of hardware with amazing games. Nintendo was always too big and too successful to count out, though. Even when PlayStation really started to gain momentum in '96, Nintendo had already spectacularly shown off Super Mario 64 the previous year, which was enough for gamers to keep an open mind, and it more than lived up to the hype. I'd say it was around '97-'98 when N64's cartridge limitations became painfully obvious and PlayStation was absolutely dominating that it became apparent that Nintendo had been relegated to 2nd place as a brand. Still, they managed to make a lot of money during that time, more than Sony in fact.

Ah what a trip down memory lane. You captured it perfectly.

FunkMiller

Playstation also completely changed the landscape in terms of the public perception of who played video games. Prior to its release, gaming was seen as strictly something children did by the mainstream, but Playstation altered that totally.

There will never be another console that will shift the cultural dial on gaming like Playstation did.

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
I’ve long wondered what the reasons are for the total collapse of the Japanese home console market. We’re not talking about a slight decline here, but the utter implosion of what used to be a huge market segment. It’s genuinely baffling. Do people in Japan these days dislike playing at home or something? You’d think the whole Otaku demographic would prefer to play in their rooms, without the need for unnecessary social interaction. People often bring up the rise of mobile gaming, but that happened in the west too, yet there consoles are as strong as ever.

So what’s different for Japan? What changed during the last fifteen years?

I guess there aren't enough Otakus lol

The Switch as a thing is completely alien to me, I don't understand its success. But it's so popular that I think I should get one to experience the greatest thing ever in video games history.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The Switch is the first portable console device where you can play on the go or on your TV. And the games that are optimized well for the system are fantastic in motion in both modes.

That's why it's popular. And Japan really loves it's handheld devices. A lot.

Neff

Prior to its release, gaming was seen as strictly something children did by the mainstream, but Playstation altered that totally.

Gaming before PlayStation was pretty universally acceptable across all demographics. PlayStation's masterstroke was earning cool points by disassociation. They were able to make Nintendo and Sega games look like they were for kids by going out of their way to promote PlayStation exclusively as an adult platform, despite also hosting their own share of cutesy platformers and so on. It was an incredibly shrewd advertising move.

Armorian

Banned
great, I needed salt for my scrambled eggs.

Nintendo: company that barely releases anything, sell their games at full price (for years), have paid online service that is worse than first PSN and produce cheapest hardware they are able too (and sell it for a high price) - doing they earn tons of money and have millions of blind fanboys. They are like fucking Apple of gaming and I hate Apple.

Now compare this to MS that is jumping through hoops to give gamers the best value for their money with shit like gamepass. This is not comparable and I don't even like MS that much.

I don't know what to say about Sony at this point of this gen :pie_thinking:

Top Bottom