• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Youtube Gamer Ever (CollegHumor)

Piers

So true, it hurts a little. Bunch of people trying to behave like extroverts when they're not.
It's why I like reviewers such as Matthewmatosis or A German Spy. Their videos begin and end with them talking. Very basic, and straight to the point. (There's more to it than that, of course, but it's still nice)

Arkeband

Banned
I think the only AVGN video that resonated with me was one where he played some Ninja Turtles game for NES, and there's a sewer level where if you try to jump over a pit you fall, you're apparently supposed to walk over it.

Didn't Mega64 make a scathing vid on AVGN-types a while back?

Loxley

He forgot the part where he opens his Let's Play with the exact same line that every single LPer uses: "What's up guys it's ______________ bringing/coming to you with another episode/installment of "Let's Play ______________ " .

MrBadger

He also forgot the part where they make low hanging fruit jokes about how Link smashes people's pots, Sonic hasn't been good for ages and games aren't like real life

oh wait that's CollegeHumour

Ah okay, didn't know that. I know he's been active for quite a while, but thats all.

Speaking of the annoying behaviour, some gaffer posted this in some thread and it's so insanely sad.

Check this fella out:

2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhzK5yZmfpA

One year later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE7ZTb1HeHU

...impressive.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
He even nailed the trend of how the animated avatar is always better looking than the actual person.

EDIT: Not to say the dude is ugly.

atomsk

Party Pooper
He even nailed the trend of how the animated avatar is always better looking than the actual person.

I'll never understand the 15-20 second animated intros these guys do on every single video. Every time someone recommends someone new to watch and I see that, I don't even bother.

3 seconds should be all you need. Your name, name of the show, short musical sting.

At least, that's how I approach it anyway. Maybe I'm just old.

Ivan 3414

Yeah, there are so many youtubers with super stylized drawings of themselves in a really "badass" or really cutesy artstyle, then you see them on camera and they're some disheveled nerd lol.

He forgot the part where he opens his Let's Play with the exact same line that every single LPer uses: "What's up guys it's ______________ bringing/coming to you with another episode/installment of "Let's Play ______________ " .

Jesus, whenever I click a video and it starts with fucking "What's up guys" I get a consistent urge to back out immediately. YouTube has made that phrase cringeworthy.

Blues1990

I usually watch ProJared, Happy Console Gamer, TonJron, & Alpha Omega Sin, so most of the jokes in this video where lost to me.

MrBadger

Yeah, there are so many youtubers with super stylized drawings of themselves in a really "badass" or really cutesy artstyle, then you see them on camera and they're some disheveled nerd lol.

Jesus, whenever I click a video and it starts with fucking "What's up guys" I get a consistent urge to back out immediately. YouTube has made that phrase cringeworthy.

Oh my god yes to both these things. All these outsourced super stylised intros and cover photos making them look way more badass.

What's worse is when they don't label their videos as lets plays so when I'm just looking for gameplay of something because I'm stuck or curious or something, and then there will be a few seconds of the game title screen in silence to lull me into a false sense of security before "hey what's up guys it's xXYoutubeUsername123Xx here and today we'll be looking at" /vent

Yudoken

Funny video.

Also, I approve of this Youtube comment:

XSLtzWX.jpg

AVGN is a special case, he's playing a role (the nerd) rather being himself.
He's playing a character and his videos are quite different than anybody elses videos.
And the quality of most of his videos is huge compared to almost any other reviewer/similar shows.
He influenced a lot of other guys but most of them just overreact, the only example I've found is Francis when he rants.
But that's just unwatchable for me.

The worst case is Caddicarus and Peanutbuttergamer, I immediately cringe and close the tab when I accidentally start their videos somehow. God, I hate them so much.

stilgar

Unfunny joke
*jump cut*
Unfunny joke
*jump cut*
Unfunny joke
*jump cut*
gameplay
Unfunny joke
*jump cut*
Unfunny joke
*jump cut*
Unfunny joke
*jump cut*
die.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The other day I finally was introduced to the Irate Gamer in my Kirby Epic Yarn thread...

Never. Fucking. Again.

And this reminds me, these people really need to start branching out with the games they cover...I can understand doing current popular games, but there's no reason people wanna see you review a classic game everyone's done unless you actually have something to add. I bring this up because I just checked the Irate Gamer's channel, and he's teasing his "long awaited review of Zelda NES".

Dude really should be voicing Fred on Scooby Doo instead.

To be honest, I've never been into these, even the "good ones" grow old after awhile. But I've never been the type of person to enjoy watching other people play games---it's just not interesting to me. The best LPs are the ones that cover games I'll never be able to play, or wouldn't, like the Sonic 2006 one or something, but one of the most popular LPs is Pokemon, and that makes no sense to me because Pokemon is boring to watch, hell, it's not even that fun to play, really, it's the perfect game to play while watching TV. So the fact so many people like just watching someone else play the game boggles my mind

And it seems all these types either fizzle out, or end up basically going crazy to the point everyone hates them, growing egotistical due to the fame. Sad thing is, I still think it'd be fun to actually be one I guess...so I can see why so many people have jumped on this trend. But I think honestly discussing games in a written form works a bit better, as it allows you to focus on what the person is saying over what they (or their avatar) look like, how they sound like, or how much they love to mug the camera.

lazygecko

For something reassuringly different from what's being parodied in the video, I love the thought and articulate presentations in the Satchbag videos - I found them through his Sonic video, and it provided some neat insights into a high point of a series I stopped caring about years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdxQmgC2Bhw

This is such a great channel. Apart from just being well-informed in general, I especially like when he realises that some information might feel redundant and doesn't waste time retreading old ground, and instead refers you elsewhere if you're curious. That's really respecting your audience.

Fuchsdh

It's kind of accurate I suppose, but the irony of the "LIKE & SUBSCRIBE" at the end is the true joke of this video.

Yeah. I recently watched a CollegeHumor video after probably two or three years of not seeing them, and having the people in the skits come up on screen for a minute and beg for likes and shares was jarring. It's definitely infected everything on the site.

Scipio

Immediately thought of PeanutButterGamer with the Zelda shirt and all.

JonTron is also pretty obvious, but Jon's parodying the whole thing most of the times.

jaina

JonTron is also pretty obvious, but Jon's parodying the whole thing most of the times.

I've heard that about several gaming youtubers / twitch streamers.
why do I get the feeling that every single youtube claims to be a "parody", or is described as one by the fanbase? :)

BLunted

Banned
Pretty accurate.

The guy's voice was entirely bearable, though.

And he wasn't trying to crack a joke every 3.5 seconds.

So I'd say this guy is actually far more tolerable than most still(some really aren't that bad at all, even with a 'persona' going on).

Spot on! I will never understand why people are in to this stuff.

Relevant:

I used to make gaming videos around 2011, I think. Made some of Professor Layton like it was a story book, trying to go for a soothing story-teller sort of tone, leaving some time for people to do the puzzles and then using editing to solve it on-screen. Would start the videos with "Greetings, and welcome to Professor Layton: And The Curious Village". Never got too far with it.

The format didn't really work for video, though, so after a few more endeavours in doing Screenshot LPs I decided it was too much for me. Now I basically just from time to time read the LP-Archive trying to find a good Screenshot LP or something, can't really stand what's popular.

Dalek

This is why I don't watch shit like these Youtube shows. They're the fucking worst. Anytime I need to watch a Dark Souls or Bloodborne video on Youtube, I do a search and as soon as the video loads if I hear "What's up everybody! This is--" and I close that shit out. No talking at all. I don't care one lick for your inane personality.

Top Bottom