• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational |OT| You're invited too!

I have been playing Hot Shots Golf for over ten years and did not know this... omg it all makes sense now. Why I often come up short near the greens and have been overcompensating forever.

L.O.L.

not sure what version you have but for US its
x -is same
o -lightens hit a bit
▲-strengthens a bit

they went pretty deep with the bullshit this time....seems they put something at every obvious landing spot and if not there its going to be in your way.
I dont get the ? for wind either why have thew ? if you cant see till you get the green.

the one thing i like alot is the removal of stats for gear (at least i havent seen it yet) that was my biggest complaint on PSP...its not very custom if everyone looks the same cause of the stats tied to gear

hort22

X lower the power a bit, triangle ups the range, and circle stays the same, these shot adjustment is only available afte your first loyalty level. When you first play it you cant adjust power during impact.

Are you on a na vita? X in hot shots has always been same while triangle raises a point and circle lowers one...did they switch it for the vita?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
not sure what version you have but for US its
x -is same
o -lightens hit a bit
▲-strengthens a bit

they went pretty deep with the bullshit this time....seems they put something at every obvious landing spot and if not there its going to be in your way.
I dont get the ? for wind either why have thew ? if you cant see till you get the green.

the one thing i like alot is the removal of stats for gear (at least i havent seen it yet) that was my biggest complaint on PSP...its not very custom if everyone looks the same cause of the stats tied to gear

The button selection for shot strength is not directly explained in the game, I don't think...I couldn't find it at least. I just know that upon loyalty level 1, the screen says something about using circle and triangle for power hits.

Also, the wind thing is weird. I was wondering why they never gave wind readings. I've started to get a feel for the down button grass measure, but it would be nice to get a number, too. And I agree about the landing spots. Although, I've started to adjust some of my shots because of it...

The one thing you get into the habit of with arcade golf games is the "fly by the seat of your pants" mentality. It feels a bit like they've tried to make you think about your next shot a bit more this time around. It introduces a unique risk/reward system that doesn't seem to present in anything but realistic golf sims (see Tiger Woods).

One hole in particular has a sharp dog leg left. At the apex of the dog leg, on the inside, there's a house on an elevated land form. You can play it safe and shoot the outside of the fairway, or lay it shallow on the inside and cut behind the house (but there's still trees and a shallow green to battle).

I don't know, I like it. I REALLY hope they add courses via DLC to keep with the variability. I'd much rather see them add 5-6 new courses over time rather than release a new game that will require endless grinding fun (again).

Oh, and gear DOES adjust your stats, doesn't it? I don't know to what degree you're referring to, but I definitely add/subtract power and control/impact/spin by changing clubs and balls.

The button selection for shot strength is not directly explained in the game, I don't think...I couldn't find it at least. I just know that upon loyalty level 1, the screen says something about using circle and triangle for power hits.

yeah its just slight adjustments in case you hit to hard to light....after awhile though i found myself using them more and more then x.

Oh, and gear DOES adjust your stats, doesn't it? I don't know to what degree you're referring to, but I definitely add/subtract power and control/impact/spin by changing clubs and balls.

I was talking clothes/accessories. in hsg on psp online was filled with the same 2 characters, rocking the same exact clothes cause you got the best stats off of said combo which imo just nulled the whole customization aspect. Really digging being able to change colors on everything...thats a nice addition.

and i dont think its my imagination...still seems to me they got CHEAP with loyalty.

overall i agree with most reviews ive read....the IQ could be a bit better but the mechanics are mostly the same and overall its a great continuation of a great IP

I think he's talking about accessories used to have stats.

I still really want to know if you can set up private games online like a 1 on 1.

Also if there is a way to do private matches asychronously.

I'm at work and can't play for myself arghh!

Jeff-DSA

It's my first Hot Shots Golf and after playing a quick round, I'm pretty excited about it. I think it looks great, even if it is noticeable that it's not running in the PS Vita's native resolution.

RoylAsult

can anyone tell me what you have to do to get crowns? ive gotten one by winning a vs in the first 3 holes, but i cant find a description for what to do for other holes

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
can anyone tell me what you have to do to get crowns? ive gotten one by winning a vs in the first 3 holes, but i cant find a description for what to do for other holes

Have over 50% perfect impact and win a challenge. That and the first 3 rounds are the only two I've gotten so far.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK, Pro Challenge 1 is just stupid. The wind is always blowing extra hard, the carnival greens are stupid hard to read, and the course (as a whole) is tough with bunker placements. My best is 5th on that challenge...fff

Ken

Are there any good beginner's guides or tips for this? I'm using the first shooting mode (with the single curve bar?), letting it go to max or where the flag is, and then trying to get a "nice shot" with the impact bar I think? I'm not moving my character around and just letting the game aim for me, and I have no idea what the lines are supposed to indicate when putting.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Are there any good beginner's guides or tips for this? I'm using the first shooting mode (with the single curve bar?), letting it go to max or where the flag is, and then trying to get a "nice shot" with the impact bar I think? I'm not moving my character around and just letting the game aim for me, and I have no idea what the lines are supposed to indicate when putting.

You have to aim for yourself, at least.

And the lines on the green show its topography. The red color indicates increased height, blues indicates decreased height. So from this you can get a feel for how a ball will act on the green... you can determine the slope. The moving dots will give you the run...

I posted this earlier in the thread:

The moving spots are showing the speed of the slope on the green. The speed the dots are moving are proportional to how fast your ball will drift in that direction as it moves toward the hole.

A really good way to get used to putting is to drop the camera down right on the green... eye level right on the ground and imagine your ball moving forward. Try to use the moving dots to calculate the drift and compensate for it with your aim.

Sounds kinda complicated, but it's really not.

Hotshots is almost 90% strategy. It's a little mathy too. Easy math... but you really have to learn to work the percentages. The most important information in this game (for getting really good) is the stuff in the bottom right. ;P

Another thing you have to consider (for anything that isn't putting or hitting off the tee) is your ball's lie. This information is in the bottom right. Couple things to consider, at first: Angle. This will affect the directionality of your shots. If the ball is on a slope, and you have some nasty angle, your shot (if hit straight on) will be altered proportionally to the angle of the lie. So, to actually have to ball land where you want, you have to compensate your aim in the opposite direction of the slope. It's proportional. The more severe the angle, the more you have to compensate your aim. It's not as complicated as I'm making it sound.... I'm bad at explaining. The next piece of info they give you is the %. This is probably the most important info in the game -- the percentage you're actually going to get the full power of your swing behind your shot. Lets say you're hitting out of the rough. And the percentage is like 70%. That means there's a possibility your shot (whatever power you set for it before impact) might be as much as 30% less than you desire. So your shot could fall 30% earlier than you desire. You can overcome some of these percentages with perfect impacts... better impacts will reduce the dampening %, but you're still taking a chance.

This is the kinda stuff you have to consider at first. And then you start learning spins and the more advanced things...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, that little lie indicator in the bottom right is HUGE in terms of how you should adjust your shot. I start every shot be holding d-pad up + triangle to zoom up to the ball. From there, I'll adjust based on my lie, the wind, the area I'm landing on (the slope of the land there is just as important), pertinent obstructions, and my next shot.

Your ball will fly approximately perpendicular to your current lie on that indicator. The percentages indicate min-max percentage of your shot based on your selected power (I haven't totally figured this range out yet).

Green reading is an art, though. The direction and speed in which those dots move indicate the magnitude of the slope. Envisioning your ball along that path is about the best you can do - once you do it enough, you'll develop a good feel.

Evolved1

Yeah, that little lie indicator in the bottom right is HUGE in terms of how you should adjust your shot. I start every shot be holding d-pad up + triangle to zoom up to the ball. From there, I'll adjust based on my lie, the wind, the area I'm landing on (the slope of the land there is just as important), pertinent obstructions, and my next shot.

Your ball will fly approximately perpendicular to your current lie on that indicator. The percentages indicate min-max percentage of your shot based on your selected power (I haven't totally figured this range out yet).

Green reading is an art, though. The direction and speed in which those dots move indicate the magnitude of the slope. Envisioning your ball along that path is about the best you can do - once you do it enough, you'll develop a good feel.

:) Haha... yep. Every shot begins exactly like this.

For a rising shot, you need to hit the pin (flag pole) with super topspin (down for power, up for impact). A homing shot requires you to hit the pin with super backspin (up for power, down for impact).

You need to have perfect impact accuracy for it to work. Otherwise, you just get normal spin.

I just pre-ordered my Vita, and this is my launch game of choice. Forget Uncharted, its all about Everybody's Golf!! Oh, and Wipeout, but this is my OH YEAH game. Can't wait to get hands on with it, I still play the heck out of EG5!

Evolved1

Which of the power/impact gauges are better for a beginner?

You're probably be better off just picking different kit. Certain characters, clubs, and equipment help make up for the things you might be having trouble with at first. Like more forgiveness in the impact zone.

I'd say use the gauge you like the most... you'll eventually just get used to it. In HSG5 the advanced gauge granted a buff to shot power, but it came at the expense of more difficult putting.

Not sure how all that works in the Vita game.

edit: and maybe consider using a character that has straight shots at first.

TheExodu5

Banned
which gauge is best in this one -- is there any advantage at all to gauge vs. EZ-impact circle shot?

I find gauge way easier to use, personally. I don't like the circle one, since I need to look left for the gauge and immediately look to the center for the circle.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
cool will do. more used to it though i do think impact on circle is much easier but then again i'm not shihiko or anyting

played the first course. impressions:

-omg omg omg i love hot shots.
-this is basically hsg5 plus psp hsg personalization. god damn awesome. this is going to eat up so much of my time.
-the res thing is a bit silly. oh well, it's hot shots. gameplay is stellar.

i was out for a few days, is anyone putting together a tournament yet?

Oh man. I was 8th place in a single player tourney.

Got a chip-in birdie and went first place. Feels so good after winning since I was failing quite a bit in some holes.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
is it just me or do all the start players have small impacts on their 1W? doesn't make sense to me since their impact ratings are high

Slaylock

IGN Review (6.5): http://vita.ign.com/articles/121/1218539p1.html

His complaints mainly revolve around the difficulty.

Wasting 30 minutes of your time with no failsafe mechanic built-in seems harsh for a game that claims to make golf more palatable to non-golfers. And overcoming difficult courses provides much less reward than the time investment deserves.

Mrbob

IGN Review (6.5): http://vita.ign.com/articles/121/1218539p1.html

His complaints mainly revolve around the difficulty.

Wasting 30 minutes of your time with no failsafe mechanic built-in seems harsh for a game that claims to make golf more palatable to non-golfers. And overcoming difficult courses provides much less reward than the time investment deserves.

Sounds like he wants a Call of Duty reward style system that will reward you even in failure. So you can always feel special.

is it just me or do all the start players have small impacts on their 1W? doesn't make sense to me since their impact ratings are high

i noticed that as well, hoping when i get better clubs it gets a smidge bigger (best I got so far are lvl1 big airs).

apparently i was kinda wrong....yes they cheapened up the loyalty but it maxes at like 4 as opposed to the 9 or 10 the psp game was so it works out i guess.

as for the ign review i agree you get too little reward but thats not enough (imo) to rate this game as low as he did... its a great all around launch title

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i noticed that as well, hoping when i get better clubs it gets a smidge bigger (best I got so far are lvl1 big airs).

apparently i was kinda wrong....yes they cheapened up the loyalty but it maxes at like 4 as opposed to the 9 or 10 the psp game was so it works out i guess.

as for the ign review i agree you get too little reward but thats not enough (imo) to rate this game as low as he did... its a great all around launch title
Interesting, so can you ever get normal impact on a 1W? That's pretty devilish if not . . . I kinda like it.

HoTHiTTeR

I'm thrilled that this game and series is getting the attention that it deserves. I almost bought the FEB bundle today after seeing people posting lobby screens that look better and cooler than minna5 and hsg:eek:ob. I'll be on Wednesday afternoon, add me: hothitter

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sounds like he wants a Call of Duty reward style system that will reward you even in failure. So you can always feel special.

Seems like basically he wanted Wii Sports Golf. It's kind of funny how people mistakenly assume HSG is some casual title because of the design when really in terms of skill + experience required it's more hardcore than probably any other sports title out there.

krae_man

I have a feeling the 1w impact zone is going to be perfect or nothing regardless of what clubs, balls and character you use. If it's that tiny with the starting characters that have A's for impact, it's going to be that for everything.

Top Bottom