• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVO 2011 | The world's biggest fighting game tournament | Las Vegas, NV | July 29-31

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amagon

Quadratic said:
Sorry, didn't see your post until now. There was actually no Fight. They were using the wrong Playstation on stage. While they were changing it, I guess someone shouted "look over here" in the back and like sheep everyone did. A EVO organizer went to see what the rukus was about and when he was walking down the aisle he said there was no fight.

The air was THICK with testosterone. I'm surprised there wasn't any actual fisticuffs going on.
Well aint that some bullshit!
:/

Dahbomb

I only saw MVC3 and AE, between those 2 AE. MVC3 had the better grand finals though but AE overall was insanely hype. Not everyday you get to see Daigo eliminated and get perfected (then again, not every day you get to see JWong eliminated and perfected either).

AE was made better because of the International presence and surprise characters all around.

Dahbomb said:
I only saw MVC3 and AE, between those 2 AE. MVC3 had the better grand finals though but AE overall was insanely hype. Not everyday you get to see Daigo eliminated and get perfected (then again, not every day you get to see JWong eliminated and perfected either).

AE was made better because of the International presence and surprise characters all around.

This was the craziest thing ever to me. Not only the guys you would expect to win their respective games lost, they also got perfected around that time.

Eerie

Marvel and AE top 8 were both hype as fuck, but I've got to give the nod to AE this time. Poongko vs Daigo was so damn good.

Infinite Justice said:
This was the craziest thing ever to me. Not only the guys you would expect to win their respective games lost, they also got perfected and eliminated.

Eerie
Technically, Daigo was perfected when he was dropped into losers. I don't think Latif perfected him.

LeleSocho

Banned
Trojan X said:
Why ATARI? I don't get it. You are not the only one who said that because I remember one of the commentators mentioned that one of the competitors was wearing a AWARI logo that was obviously from ATARI. However, its actually not ATARI but ATARI. So when & where did all this ATARI comments in relation to ATARI came about?
Fixed

Parallax Scroll said:
Marvel and AE top 8 were both hype as fuck, but I've got to give the nod to AE this time. Poongko vs Daigo was so damn good.

Technically, Daigo was perfected when he was dropped into losers. I don't think Latif perfected him.

Yea i changed it bit since i remember it being The Machine who did it but its still really crazy :O

_dementia said:
What's this Sega = Atari meme that I missed?
Flash was wearing a t shirt with swag written with a sega logo motif on it (swag) and Seth said that it resembled the old Atari logo or something like that.

So basically sega = atari is the new capcom = konami

toasty_T said:
Flash was wearing a t shirt with swag written with a sega logo motif on it (swag) and Seth said that it resembled the old Atari logo or something like that.

So basically sega = atari is the new capcom = konami
Wow, it's pretty funny that Seth would get it confused.

Azure J

I wish if I could go back in time and rewatch all of this shit freah again. Excellent Tournament, Excellent Experience. Oh, gotta love James Chen for the "I'm gonna actually finish it this time" shoutout to
Mr. Victor Font
Spooky. Everything came full circle it seems. :lol

For the first time I held a weekend-long stream party for Evo, was a great experience and a lot of fun. I now only have one question -- when's the next major?

I missed the SFIV finals because I had to take an exam today, but I don't regret sitting back for the entire weekend to see EVO.

It was a blast and it really made me want to go in person next year.

galvatron

_dementia said:
Wow, it's pretty funny that Seth would get it confused.
Dude was probably low on sleep and meant to say Sega. He was getting oddly emotional about the tourney towards the end, too. Then again, maybe those were normal responses for him...

APZonerunner said:
For the first time I held a weekend-long stream party for Evo, was a great experience and a lot of fun. I now only have one question -- when's the next major?

From our gdlk Stream Master, USD:

USD said:
So EVO is over, but August will be a pretty busy month for Street Fighter. This weekend, August 6, is the East Coast SBO qualifier at Next Level in New York. It will consist of two singles tournaments to determine the SBO slots. Team Sp00ky is supposed to be streaming it, though right after EVO, who knows.

The next weekend, August 13, is the Southwest SBO qualifier at Arcade UFO in Texas. That one is a team tourney however, like the West Coast qualifier. Arcade UFO itself is streaming that. That same weekend is Super Versus Battle 20XI, August 12-14. It has the same line-up of games as EVO (AE, MvC3, BBCSII, Tekken 6, MK) as well as Third Strike. No idea about a stream.

The week after that, August 20, is GODSGARDEN #4. Fan voting for the 11 invite slots is still going on. Momochi clinched a spot by winning the online Niconico Stream Battle tournament. As with the other GODSGARDEN tournaments, the last four slots to fill out the 16-player bracket are decided by a preliminary tournament.

Finally, August 27-28 is GVN Summer Jam 5 in Philadelphia. Like all the other GVN tourneys (NEC, Winter Brawl), expect a huge list of games. AE, MvC3, MK, BBCSII, Tekken 6, AH3, MBAA, GGXX, 3S, SCIV, plus plenty of side tournaments. Another Team Sp00ky broadcast.

Kimosabae

Banned
galvatron said:
Dude was probably low on sleep and meant to say Sega. He was getting oddly emotional about the tourney towards the end, too. Then again, maybe those were normal responses for him...

Dude, you're taking Seth way too seriously. He's definitely passionate about the scene because he helped generate it, and it got him to where he is today with Capcom, but his comments are very tongue-in-cheek.

galvatron said:

I know I was too. Seth is obviously also a big supporter of Daigo and Justin.

I feel so empty now that EVO is finished.

I Knew (well more like felt) that Daigo would fall this Evo. It was meant to happen someday.

I also wanted Poongko to win so badly. Don't know why.

When he dropped that combo to Fuudo, I think that my heart broke. HE HAD THAT MATCH ON THE BAG.

*Cries*

Buzzati

Banned
Lord-Audie said:

I Knew (well more like felt) that Daigo would fall this Evo. It was meant to happen someday.

When he dropped that combo to Fuudo, I think that my heart broke. HE HAD THAT MATCH ON THE BAG.

*Cries*

Don't be sad. More tournaments are on the way, as well as new fighting games. Daigo and Poongko are probably in the lab as we speak.

Buzzati said:
Don't be sad. More tournaments are on the way, as well as new fighting games. Daigo and Poongko are probably in the lab as we speak.

I just rewatched that Fuudo vs Poongko fight.

Damn....

Is just that i would rather have a Poongko vs Fuudo final match than Latif vs Fuudo.

I didn't flip a single table throughout this past weekend. I have to make up for lost time.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lord-Audie said:

*Cries*
Daigo is in his 30s now, right? Old-man reactions catching up with him.

Ifrit

Btw anyone wanting to watch the fights with GAF's commentary, these are the pages where they start (50 post per page):

PAGE 293: MARVEL VS CAPCOM 3
PAGE 341: STREET FIGHTER 4: ARCADE EDITION

I crashed out to sleep after the AE finals last night so I didn't get to put my last thoughts on Evo 2011 until this morning.

And I gotta say that the one think that stuck with me a bit was what a shame it was that Latif isn't able to go rep the US at SBO. Watching him here at Evo making that last run and at the SBO qualifiers there isn't anyone in the US playing like he is right now. It's a real shame that the passport issues or whatever it was prevented him from going.

AE finals were really great though. Such amazing skills on display for all of top 8.

kitzkozan

MaddenNFL64 said:
Noooooo daigo didn't win :(.

Ah well, still a fan of the beast :).

From that Cross counter Asia interview, it seems Fuudo and Daigo had a long set just before EVO and it wasn't the best moment of the Beast career. He got pounded hard, so I guess it just wasn't meant to be this year.

Lord-Audie said:
I just rewatched that Fuudo vs Poongko fight.

Damn....

Is just that i would rather have a Poongko vs Fuudo final match than Latif vs Fuudo.
If Latif got 3rd it wouldn't fulfill the legacy of 1st = Japan, 2nd = USA, and 3rd = Korea set by Daigo, pretty Ricky, and Infiltration last year.

_dementia said:
If Latif got 3rd it wouldn't fulfill the legacy of 1st = Japan, 2nd = USA, and 3rd = Korea set by Daigo, pretty Ricky, and Infiltration last year.

Oh Poongko... WHYYYY DID YOU DROP THAT COMBO???

*sobs*

That drop mind fucked him.

I probably wouldn't buy an Evo DVD, but if they released a Blu Ray, I sure as hell would.

I don't know how legal it would be though since they'd be charging for footage of copyrighted work.

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
AzureJericho said:
Oh, gotta love James Chen for the "I'm gonna actually finish it this time" shoutout to
Mr. Victor Font
Spooky. Everything came full circle it seems. :lol
Man, I got so geeked out when Chen said that, it was beautiful when spooky jumped on stream. He didn't get to free us, but watching the Team Spooky Theme music/video after the stream was over was close enough. Still buzzing from all the stream hype this weekend..

Also, I live like an hour from Next Level Arcade here in NY, I'll have to stop by for the SBO qualifiers this weekend. Look for the dude wearing the FedEx shirt, lol.

EDIT: Try Jdownloader for youtube vids, lets you choose quality and format

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom