• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution Studios is hiring - #Resumeclub

I hope Driveclub has done well for them. Based on what I've played it's excellent
for a corridor racer
and I'll definitely pick it up when I get a PS4.

please give these guys the wipeout IP

I'm pretty sure lots of ex psygnosis devs are at evolution. Just imagine a wipeout game with driveclub level of graphics

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Amazing ;)
Hoping for a Motorstorm Pacific Rift 2. DC2 can wait, there are quite a lot of incoming content for DC in 2015.

I think DC2 should wait until after GT7. So Evo have probably got enough time to release a few motorstorm titles first :p

Great news! Its stupid to close Evolution studios after their work in DriveClub which is great and everybody love the visuals and gameplay that provided great immersion expect that it had less content and some online troubles because of their ambition like many other games.

which, imo, isn't extremely high

True, but not terribly horrendous either.

Plus Driveclub still have more future avenues to expand its user base, via the future Plus edition and upgrade opportunities for those who may like the Plus demo.

Nobody denies that DC didn't do as well as it could have. But LTD sales ain't the end and determinator for Evo or DC.

Rembrandt

Banned
True, but not terribly horrendous either.

Plus Driveclub still have more future avenues to expand its user base, via the future Plus edition and upgrade opportunities for those who may like the Plus demo.

Nobody denies that DC didn't do as well as it could have. But LTD sales ain't the end and determinator for Evo or DC.

I'm curious to see if the + thing pays off in the end or if people will just stick with that, but either way, I'm glad they didn't close. The game looks amazing and from what I've read on here, it seems to play great. They're a real talented studio and I can't wait to see what kind of magic they pull with their next game.

I'm curious to see if the + thing pays off in the end or if people will just stick with that, but either way, I'm glad they didn't close. The game looks amazing and from what I've read on here, it seems to play great. They're a real talented studio and I can't wait to see what kind of magic they pull with their next game.

As an owner of the Plus version, I'll be the first to say that it's extremely "in-your-face" in tempting you to upgrade.

It's basically the full game, but with a shopping cart symbol at every content you can't access. You can't navigate anywhere (except your Club/Profile) without skimming through inaccessible content.

It was so frustrating, upgrading my Driver level, only to unlock a car that's paywalled. FFFFFFFFF.

le-seb

Really? We know that digital purchases are getting bigger and bigger, with regards to all kind of games, including retail games. Digital sales should not be discounted.
It was US #5, not #4.
But yeah, forgot to include the /s tag, this game has probably sold a lot more in its digital form than in its physical one.

Percy

Banned
Glad for them that they will seemingly survive Driveclub's fucked launch.

Now if they can do a follow up racer using DC's tech and running at 60fps, I'll gladly give them a chance.

As an owner of the Plus version, I'll be the first to say that it's extremely "in-your-face" in tempting you to upgrade.

Huh? Did that actually come out already?

Mabufu

Banned
Glad for them that they will seemingly survive Driveclub's fucked launch.

Now if they can do a follow up racer using DC's tech and running at 60fps, I'll gladly give them a chance.

Huh? Did that actually come out already?

Evo already proved, with Motorstorm and DC, that 60 fps is far from necessary.
No chance they can get the engine running at 60 fps. Forget about it, and enjoy the amazing games they make.

Merun

Am i the only one which found strange that there no "Network Programmer" positions open?

There is one for build and automating test. Their network engineer must have learned a few things from their mistake so there is no need to hire a new one. Instead their focus is on testing.

drotahorror

Amazing ;)
Hoping for a Motorstorm Pacific Rift 2. DC2 can wait, there are quite a lot of incoming content for DC in 2015.

Naw man.

Open world island where you can cruise around to closed-course events. Rally cars, offroad vehicles along with Jet Skis, boats and other water vehicles for navigating the branching river streams throughout the island.

Well, that could be MotorStorm PR2 for all I know. If it is, then hells yea.

*I do not want open world races where I have to constantly look at a map to see where to go. Open world for getting around to different events and cruising with friends. Closed courses for all events.

*Thanks Evo for making it happen, in advance of course.

Melchiah

I don't think we have official numbers but all signs have pointed to DC selling quite well, especially for being a new IP and a track based racer.

I am sure it sold more than Motorstorm Apocalypse (which isn't saying much and wasn't their fault)

If the unofficial numbers are correct, it seems to have sold more than FH2, which is somewhat amusing considering the reviews that criticized it for not being an open world racer. It's really great, that a track racer can still do relatively well, and possibly manage to give the genre a new lease of life.

EDIT:
*I do not want open world races where I have to constantly look at a map to see where to go. Open world for getting around to different events and cruising with friends. Closed courses for all events.

That's the last thing I want. One of the things I love about DC, is how you can access the races via the menu in mere seconds, which makes it perfect for pick up & play.

freefornow

In the first week 70% of sales came from digital and approximately 70% of total sales in the first week came from Europe. If people actually bothered to use google they would see the game hit the million mark in the first week globally.

Yeah, but:

"These are not the official figures so we advice readers to take it with massive grain of salt and consider it as rumor, but insiderp has been pretty accurate with their previous sales figure report of PlayStation 4."

I'm not sure if this site is legit or not http://www.gamepur.com/news/16569-d...t-week-outsold-forza-horizon-2-21-margin.html

I would love to see a ps4 motorstorm type game with greater diversity in vehicles and more open racing evvironments from them.

Or even a motorstorm with a heavier combat gameplay. Kind of like wipeout style combat.

Withnail

Was never really in doubt. Some people round here seem to think that studios are closed for being naughty. Business doesn't really work like that. Evolution is a talented studio and Sony needs first party arcade racing games.

geordiemp

Oh I imagine "DriveClub" as an IP is pretty dead.

Be very interesting to see what their next project is though, the studio has some real talent

Don't bank on Driveclub being dead, maybe it will have Xmas legs.

I just bought it with a steering wheel. Its still hanging around the charts.

benzy

That's the last thing I want. One of the things I love about DC, is how you can access the races via the menu in mere seconds, which makes it perfect for pick up & play.

Yeah, I agree with this.

Instead of open world, it'd be much more awesome to give us a track creator to play with in these huge open environments.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Evo already proved, with Motorstorm and DC, that 60 fps is far from necessary.
No chance they can get the engine running at 60 fps. Forget about it, and enjoy the amazing games they make.

They got pacific rift and apocalypse running at 60fps for their 3D modes. I hope they do that for morpheus

Melchiah

Yeah, I agree with this.

Instead of open world, it'd be much more awesome to give us a track creator to play with in these huge open environments.

Far too few racers have track creators these days. The only one I can think of is ModNation Racers. Although, I'm not sure if the effort and resources put into the track creator would be in the expense of some other part of the game, like the online portion has sometimes taken away resources they could have put into the SP campaign. I remember Insomniac saying something like that in regard to Resistance 2.

EDIT:
I don't know, man.

USA Physical Retail is generally a good portion of worldwide sales, and it's generally like 80% of total USA sales for big titles.

And Driveclub did NOT do well AT ALL so far.
What? There's around 700,000 players in the leaderboards. Safe to assume the game has sold at least 500,000 copies, not to mention a higher amount shipped to retailers.

The digital sales could be higher than usual, considering that the PS+ upgrade is 10€ cheaper, which is exactly the opposite of how it's normally. All the other digital versions have so far been about 10€ more expensive than their retail counterparts.

Mr Git

Hopefully it continues to do well, it's a great game, and as much as I'd love a new Pacific Rift they could do another DC and I'd be more than happy.

Rembrandt

Banned
Yeah, but:

"These are not the official figures so we advice readers to take it with massive grain of salt and consider it as rumor, but insiderp has been pretty accurate with their previous sales figure report of PlayStation 4."

I'm not sure if this site is legit or not http://www.gamepur.com/news/16569-d...t-week-outsold-forza-horizon-2-21-margin.html

Probably not because they published an article 10 days later saying it sold >400,000 in the first week with most sales in America, but it also took the number from that banned site, so yk.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/16706-d...gure-are-impressive-sold-over-357k-units.html

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
They need to get that WRC licence back.

Mud, snow and dirt effects all over the place.

Rushy, plz.

Racing games seems to not doing at all well these days, even the big dogs like Forza and F1 are not the big sellers they used to be in the past, now WRC/rally sport is only popular in Europe so yeah I don't see Sony even thinking of getting it back.

barit

Glad to hear. I was one of those who had fears for Evolutions future. All the doom and gloom surrounding DriveClub at launch was really exhausting. But the game was always fun despite the broken online. Now with weather patch and a stable online experience it´s even more awesome.

I hope Sony don't view Driveclub as a three title series this gen, and instead fund a different racing title on Evolution's engine, before letting them work on DC2.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I hope Sony don't view Driveclub as a three title series this gen, and instead fund a different racing title on Evolution's engine, before letting them work on DC2.

I think they should try other genres non racing stuff, Psygnosis/SCE Liverpool died when it became a racing games studio only, they should not repeat that mistake.

Grieves

I'm still hoping for a Wipeout PS4 - Evolution making it seems to be the only hope, however I loved Motorstorm Apocalypse so a Motorstorm PS4 would be acceptable as well.

MMaRsu

Banned
Woohoo great news!! I'd really hate to see Evolution shut down, so this really makes me happy :).

DC is a GREAT game and deserves all the praises it gets, and not much of the hate it got from reviewers.

I hope when they release the PS+ version everybody will see how great the game is :).

This is great news!

My first week with DriveClub has been a blast—the game is fantastic. I hope they get right to work on a sequel that keeps the current locations and adds city locations (New York, San Francisco, London, and Tokyo).

Essentially PGR.

baconcow

Maybe they are hiring people with specific skills to help fix up DRIVECLUB over the next year. I still frequently get disconnected so they clearly haven't nailed down the full issue.

djjinx2

does this mean there won't be layoffs? Surprised evolution is walking away from the Driveclub fiasco Scott free

Ok, Driveclub is a great game, has free Dlc and was priced very well for a AAA day 1 digital game.

There were unforseen problems with the servers which on the whole have been fixed, and players have been compensated.

But let's go OTT about job loses and closure

Hoping that wasn't /s

fixuis

They have another winner on their hands in the form of the new IP drive club but I really wanna see a nex gen motorstorm. Droooool

Top Bottom