• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Big Alpha Impressions/bugs/glitches thread

Cross-posting my impressions from the Steam thread:

So, I was able to play a couple of Evolve games. Once as an human and once as the monster.

I don't think I'd ever want to play as the human in that game :lol. While the monster can easily kill any player on its own, if the full team ambushes it they can take it down being half decent at it.

For those that don't know anything about the game (like me :p), the monster needs to feed on wildlife (or other player's corpses) in order to evolve. It also has four different skills with three levels each, and you get three skill points per evolution stage. There are also elite wildlife which give you different buffs, so all in all it reminded me an awful lot being a LoL jungler - ambushing players, killing easy creeps in order to level up, kill the special enemies to get a buff and then you have 4 different skills with extremely low cooldown times (I honestly think that the longest one was little more than 5 seconds).

We were playing on the Fission Plant level, and when you're the monster you start close to the human players. When you're on your first form you're told to run since you wouldn't be able to survive yet. Then, you can climb walls, be stealthy in order to do extra damage and jump to hide and find yor prey. After eating a certain amount of flesh, you need to find a place to evolve where the humans can't find you, since you won't be able to move until the transformation is complete (I think it doesn't even take 10 seconds).

Once I was level 3, I headed to the Power Cell, where the full team was waiting for me. Killing individual humans doesn't take long, but holy shit, a full team really packs a punch. A couple of minutes in I only downed two of them, while my health was already at 50% (and I swear I barely did any damage to the Power Cell... I throwed it rocks, fire and did regular meele, are you supposed to do anything special). I decided to make a run for it and retrat in to the forest, in order to get my shields back.

Then, once I was ready, I found the medic on its own doing some recon :lol. I wrecked her and eat her corpse. Once they die they respawn in 2 minutes, so I moved hastily to the Power Cell room and tried to kill the rest of the team. This time I knew the layout of the room better, and my rocks didn't hit some steel beams istead of the players :p. They survived a bit longer since I didn't know Daisy could revive people and I think the medic respawned during the fight, but in the end Goliath crushed those puny Davids!

I also played as a Medic, but I didn't know what I was doing at all and we died pretty soon. I guess I'd need to check out the other classes, but I don't think I'd ever want to play as an human in this game.

Playing as the monster was cool, I guess, but I don't usually enjoy online MP games. It's weird, but I'm writing way more enthusiastically than what I was feeling while playing, haha. I got bored after those two games and I don't think I'll ever try the game again, I hate online MP games :/

BurningNad

Has anyone gotten a code today yet who also signed up today (or yesterday)? Was all fired up for PS4 but now I need a PC key.

vazel

Banned
It's really stupid that the monster can't be someone that is on your friend's list. That killed any potential for a PUG community to develop. Not that I expected this game to have a vibrant PUG community anyway but it would have been nice to take part in a few PUG matches in case someone created a steam group for it.
Final game will have private 5 man parties.
Oh, ok then. Good news.

-Deimos

It's really stupid that the monster can't be someone that is on your friend's list. That killed any potential for a PUG community to develop. Not that I expected this game to have a vibrant PUG community anyway but it would have been nice to take part in a few PUG matches in case someone created a steam group for it.

Final game will have private 5 man parties.

Monster really seems like he has a very hard time climbing...could just be an Alpha thing (lol alpha, destiny alpha says hi). Basically it just come across as rather clunky like it isn't detecting how close he is, jumping/attacking also seems off maybe netcode related.

anyone managed to get a game going on PC yet?

just sittin' there spinnin' for me still...
There's a huge thread about it on the Steam forums. You can join people by viewing their profiles from there. That's how most of us have been getting into matches.

Jarrod38

Played a few games last night and how no clue what I was doing. Both times I was thrown into a game near the end, all I know is we were suppose to kill a monster and that was it. Wish there was a training level so I could actually figure out what you need to do as a human and the same way as a monster.

Played a few games last night and how no clue what I was doing. Both times I was thrown into a game near the end, all I know is we were suppose to kill a monster and that was it. Wish there was a training level so I could actually figure out what you need to do as a human and the same way as a monster.

Doesn't it give a small video tutorial before each match? Watch a few videos and it did it everytime. Explained abilities, what you need to do in terms of eating/evolving, not to alert birds, etc.

Enjoying the PC Alpha so far.

put_something_in_screen.png

Brooks2304

Neo Member
Here's my impression: if there's no way to try this game on PS4 before launch, it stands absolutely no chance in February along with the heavy hitters. This has a chance to build some much needed anticipation if they fix the issue, but can also hurt them if the issue remains unresolved, especially for an online multiplayer game.

Here's my impression: if there's no way to try this game on PS4 before launch, it stands absolutely no chance in February along with the heavy hitters. This has a chance to build some much needed anticipation if they fix the issue, but can also hurt them if the issue remains unresolved, especially for an online multiplayer game.
They'll probably run a beta too... there is 3 months.

Brooks2304

Neo Member
They'll probably run a beta too... there is 3 months.

I would imagine so after having an alpha. I'm glad atleast that not every platform is having this issue. But this certainly isn't a good first impression for them in terms of the PlayStation community as we are seeing. Hopefully this is only a small blip on the radar before launch. February is busy enough that it could have gotten buried without all this, this just doesn't help.

-Deimos

Method from the steam forums works fine. Just played a match.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/273350/discussions/0/613940477761386099/

While the game only technically allows you to invite 3 people to join you and then uses matchmaking to find a monster, it is apparently possible to play anyway.

It seems that if you invite 3 people the in-game invite option disappears but the steam overlay option still exists. If you invite another person and they accept, they'll receive the error that the game is full, but the game will start for the players who have already joined. There will be three human hunters, a bot hunter, and a human monster.

I don't know if you have to be searching for a monster while the fifth person attempts to join, as I was not the host when this happened.

My best guess is that the person joining temporarily bumps the player count to 5, starting the game.

RPS37

Why does the game ask me what class I would prefer before I've ever played any of them and without explaining what any of them do?

Can not find a match either.

R_Deckard

60 with a few dips here and there.

Awesome! I was sure it was 30, for some reason. Thank you guys. I can't wait until the Alpha opens for PS4 and I can play.
Played it tonight on X1 and this is most certainly NOT 60fps. It is 30 on that, with ps4 cancelled I need to try pc. What where you playing it on?

Found playing as monster fun, but hunting can be a dull session with the monster levelling up pretty fast it is just a dash to the reactor and lay in wait....
to die as the medics keep running off......medic (in Arnie voice)

cripterion

Incredible atmosphere playing this when playing this for the first time with headphones, and it's pretty to look at with all the bells and whistles (didn't know it was running on Cryengine) but game is pretty dull to play.
Trap, monster, shoot and kill him or monster runs around gets xp and kills you. I guess that's it? I much prefered the Left 4 Dead formula.

No, PS4 version is delayed.

lol and people were going on about how psn was solid in the Driveclub thread...

jost

Neo Member
Honestly my first impression of this game on the Xbox One was disappointment. I played both as the monster and humans. When I was the monster the human group was practically unbeatable, when I got put on a human squad we were constantly wiped and killed like he could go in and destroy us any time he wanted regardless of his evolution state. I'm not new to FPS but all the shooting felt heavy and cumbersome. The controls for the monster felt better but I am not use to the odd button layout so I constantly messed up, used the wrong weapon or changed squad member ( I was pout in a match with bots so you can switch between them by pressing down on the D-pad). Over all I was left unimpressed only wishing that the retail game somehow recaptures me. This game I will be renting instead of buying as of now.

lmbotiva

Incredible atmosphere playing this when playing this for the first time with headphones, and it's pretty to look at with all the bells and whistles (didn't know it was running on Cryengine) but game is pretty dull to play.
Trap, monster, shoot and kill him or monster runs around gets xp and kills you. I guess that's it? I much prefered the Left 4 Dead formula.

lol and people were going on about how psn was solid in the Driveclub thread...
ignorance at its finest

Played it tonight on X1 and this is most certainly NOT 60fps. It is 30 on that, with ps4 cancelled I need to try pc. What where you playing it on?

Found playing as monster fun, but hunting can be a dull session with the monster levelling up pretty fast it is just a dash to the reactor and lay in wait....
to die as the medics keep running off......medic (in Arnie voice)

Yes, it is definitely 30fps, you can tell. And also the developers confirmed 30fps on consoles long ago.

duckroll

This game currently doesn't seem to work on PC. We formed a party of 4, tried finding games, kept getting matched into double lobbies which would bug out. Totally an Alpha so far! :p

cripterion

Just realized I have an extra Xbox One code for anyone that wants it.

This game currently doesn't seem to work on PC. We formed a party of 4, tried finding games, kept getting matched into double lobbies which would bug out. Totally an Alpha so far! :p

I got in fine on my first game but there were a heck of loading screens.

The test being delayed on PS4 as nothing to do with psn? Are you trolling me? Or maybe I misunderstood something
What does it have to do with the PSN? Could you please elaborate on your ideas? Because as far as I can tell, Turtle Rock said nothing about PSN. On top of that, I'm using the PSN for other games right now that are working right now. So it sounds like you're pulling something out of your butt and making nonsense up.

cripterion

What does it have to do with the PSN? Could you please elaborate on your ideas? Because as far as I can tell, Turtle Rock said nothing about PSN. On top of that, I'm using the PSN for other games right now that are working right now. So it sounds like you're pulling something out of your butt and making nonsense up.

I never said PSN was down at the moment. But the game being playable on the other platforms and not on playstation as nothing to do with PSN, wasn't the firmware 2.0 for PSN?
Maybe you'd prefer I used the "playstation infrastructure" terms?

It's cool that you're satisfied with the service but over the past few months I've been getting kicked out of Netflix sessions and had digital games locked cause the service crapped out so for a paying service I expect more, especially considering how many subs they got.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Any tips on playing Monster? I have no idea how to play it. Feels like the Hunters always know where I am, too.

Top Bottom