• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evony plagiarism--graphics taken directly from AoE II: Age of Kings.

i_am_ben said:
if you're going to steal you may as well steal from the best.

I like that :D Sounds like a good line from a Will Farrell movie or something.

Not if you want to get away with it, though. If you're gonna steal, you better steal from the unknown, underprivileged and powerless. These guys are stealing from microsoft i think.

IceMarker

GarthVaderUK said:
Seen these?

2dtncsn.jpg

30vf21c.jpg

v4ngpl.jpg

:lol
Best ads ever :lol

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Thats brilliant.

I could now probably enjoy playing this Evony game solely for the nostalgia of AoE2.

edit:
From the Evony website (clicked the link on top of the page):
2i7wuqc.jpg

Oh really..?

JBuccCP

Why would you steal from such a well known game? Hadn't heard of Evony but if you had shown me some screenshots I probably would have immediately thought "damn this looks a lot like AoE II".

edit: And yeah, looks like the same houses, barracks, and blacksmith as well.

dejay

Banned
Holy shit! I was wondering what Evony actually was, since it's kinda made my GAF surfing experience not safe for work recently with the cleavage shots.

Zenith

Banned
Does GAF Chairman not get a say in what ads can be run on the site? Could send complaint about plagiarising game looks bad for site about gaming.

Cohsae

Night_Trekker said:
Was it really? :|
Yeah man, Limbo is to videogames what Girl Talk is to music.
Also I'm glad I have AdBlock, but at the same time, I kind of wish I could see these ads so I could laugh at them. Especially those PvZ ones.

aku:jiki

Am I the only one not following this at all?

Evony hasn't looked like that since I first played it in march. Never seen it look like that, actually. Not that I still play or respect Evony, but this is just old and wrong.

Kifimbo

Sorry to bump this thread, but this just came out.

Evony, LLC Issues Lawsuit Against “Malicious” Blogger for Multiple Violations of International Libel Standards
Video Game Developer Seeks Damages from Blogger for “Gross Disregard for the Truth”

NEW SOUTH WALES, Australia--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The developer for the popular online video game Evony has filed suit against blogger Bruce Everiss for posting defamatory and false statements online about the company and the game. The lawsuit follows multiple rebuffed attempts to reconcile the matter out of court.

Evony’s Australia based legal counsel has proceeded on multiple fronts internationally against the libelous assaults that Bruce Everiss has leveled against Evony, LLC (http://www.evony.net), its game “Evony: Age I”, and its corporate leadership on his weblog and in publications worldwide in recent weeks.

Evony’s attorneys said Bruce Everiss’ attacks have caused significant damage to the company’s brand and the gaming experience for Evony’s users and millions of fans around the world.

“For weeks, we have worked to avoid taking our case into the legal courts, hoping instead to persuade Mr. Everiss to see the error of his ways and correct the multiple fraudulent and false claims he has made against Evony,” said Dean Groundwater, Evony’s chief legal counsel and a principle with the Australian firm Warren McKeon Dickson. “In the more than 15 years I have been practicing law, I have never seen such a gross disregard for the truth as that displayed by Mr. Everiss. His actions bring an enormous discredit to all online journalists internationally and have substantially impacted Evony’s reputation in Australia. I am confident the Supreme Court of New South Wales will see through the falsehoods being perpetrated by Mr. Everiss and will hold him accountable for his blatantly illegal and libelous actions.”

“Mr. Everiss’ attempts to spread his patently false charges to others in the online community cannot be allowed to go unanswered,” said Benjamin Gifford, Vice Development Director for the Legal IP Strategic Division for Delaware based Evony, LLC.

“In the digital age in which we now live, online journalists and bloggers – and the traditional media outlets that may rely upon them as sources – must strive for a higher standard of integrity and accuracy. Mr. Everiss’ complete disregard for even the most basic tenets of journalistic responsibility have left our company no alternative but to take these legal actions. We hope now, in facing the full light of day before the Supreme Court, that Mr. Everiss will finally come clean and clear the record,” said Gifford.

The suit, which was filed in the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Australia comes after weeks of attempts to convince Bruce Everiss of the false nature of his information. For a complete list of the libelous actions committed by Everiss and a copy of the legal filing please visit http://www.evony.net.

Dean Groundwater said:
“In the more than 15 years I have been practicing law, I have never seen such a gross disregard for the truth as that displayed by Mr. Everiss.”

Someone buy this man a mirror.

mollipen

Zenith said:
Worthy of a new thread.

It directly relates to the OP of this thread, which itself was pretty recent. Why would it need a new thread? I really don't get GAF's obsession with creating new threads when perfectly good threads already exist.

Oh, and those PopCap ads make me laugh - a company famous for stealing game concepts from other companies makes a banner parodying a company accused of stealing assets from another game.

MoxManiac

It's nothing new. I remember another online flash game that used the direct CG models from Koei's Samurai Warriors, and there were other examples of this happening as well. I guess these companies figure no one will bother to catch them on their shit.

Squash said:
Is this an MMORTS? Any others worth playing?
Battleforge. Kind of. I mean, it's kind of a MMORTS.. not kind of worth playing. It's a great game. Haven't played it in a while though, so it's probably even better than great now. :O

Joseph Merrick said:
yeah, bruce is on fire with this stuff http://www.bruceongames.com/?s=evony

Have you read the responses?. They're.... unusual. Three different comments:

I still till this day dont understand why a man of your background would go on such an attack on a game that now has over 8 MILLION PLAYERS and statisfied customers – all it has done is lowered your respect from loyal fans of you such as myself. I hope for your sake and the gaming industry that you and Evony can resolve this and resolve it quickly.
Personally, I think bloggers have enjoyed too much immunity for too long. Words have meaning and can do damage.
I would just suggest Bruce is remove your blog on it man, just gets worse and you gain no fame out of it all but more traffic to the blog, which you are well seeded in each search engine so why should it matter?

These do not sound like your typical fight-the-power blog commenters, do they?

Mama Robotnik said:
Have you read the responses?. They're.... unusual. Three different comments:
These do not sound like your typical fight-the-power blog commenters, do they?
Haha. I didn't see these as there weren't any comments when I looked at it.. at least not on the top one. Very nice.

Top Bottom