• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EW: Tomb Raider star Alicia Vikander teases her version of Lara Croft

Omni

TR2013 has high 80% metacritics score. Since when is it a trash game?
Reminds me of that "worst character designs" thread on Gaming Side where people were naming Lara because her tits aren't exploding out of her chest in the reboot

I need an eyeroll emoji

Falchion

The 2013 game was great. New Lara was great. Alicia will be great.

This is where I'm at. I can't wait for this movie and will be replaying Rise of the Tomb Raider before it comes out since I've already beaten the 2013 version twice.

Adapting from the 2013 game is the way to go. Night and day how much better that version of Laura is from previous interpretations.

I disagree with this entirely.

I think the new "humanized" Lara was just so vapid.

Lara Croft is supposed to be the female version of James Bond, but with more athletic (gymnastic) ability and less womanizing (or menanizing in her case).

2013 Lara is just a poorly characterized, everywoman. She's essentially the female equivalent of Nathan Drake, but without any of the quips and charm.

I didn't like Lara 2013 in the game and I sure as hell don't think I'd like her in the movie format either.

Lara is supposed to be a badass. If not, what's whole point exactly?

It's hard to say they didn't hold up, because they weren't good games when they released. Everything but the original, which benefited strongly from being one of the earliest 3D action games, was treated with a resounding "meh" by critics and most of the audience alike. By the time we got to the PS2 era, that franchise was niche as hell.

Lara herself was only ever relevant because of an embarrassing character model and the worlds most infamous nude mod. Jolie put that character into the gaming hierarchy in a way the games never, ever earned and that's frankly why I'm not offended that they went/are going the way they did.

In what universe did people not like the PS1 Tomb Raider games? The main complaint people had was that the sequels were more of the same, but better than the previous one.

If people thought they were "meh", then why are the first 4 games in the top 20 best selling PS1 games (with 1 and 2 being in the top 10)? You'd think they would've learned their lesson by the 4th game if that was the case.

ItIsOkBro

The visual design of Lara is good in the reboot
The setting is good

The story is trash
The characterizations (including Lara) are trash

Basically don't adapt anything that involves writing from the games (although I already know that's not the case seeing as how her dad is involved in the movie's story).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Reminds me of that "worst character designs" thread on Gaming Side where people were naming Lara because her tits aren't exploding out of her chest in the reboot

I need an eyeroll emoji
I named Reboot Lara in that thread. Had absolutely nothing to do with her tits. Should I post a mindblown emoji?

New Lara is one of the worst examples of a "character" in a high profile game in ages.

Basing a film on games with terrible writing, character,s and story is not a good starting point.

Better doesn't mean good.

And I think that despite the older Lara being problematic in /many/ ways, it wouldn't be a clear cut win for new Lara.

When did Lara shit in your cereal Zak?

Holy shit, neoGAF terrible opinions the thread.

Who shit in y'all's Cheerios?

Jinx! Nice avatar btw

The reboot games are trash but I'm looking forward to see how the movie turns out. Hopefully it has WAY better side characters than 2013 TR.

Looks good. The only complaint I had in this game was the obvious disconnect of being a killing machine in gameplay while being timid in cutscenes (which I get, it's a game). That shouldn't be an issue in a movie.

Crash Bandicoot 3 is a 91 on Metacritic, and that's apparently a trash game that people only played because they didn't have an N64 to play Mario 64 according to some people on here.

Personally, I wasn't a fan of TR 2013, but it was by no means a bad game, just not my cup of tea.

Throw it in the pot with Bioshock Infinite, Fallout 4, etc... as games almost everyone but GAF likes. I don't even like Bioshock or Fallout (Bioshock just feels off to me as an FPS and I'm more of an Elder Scrolls guy), but it's stupid to engage with the discourse in a lot of gaming topics. Everything is either GOAT or garbage.

I love TM 2013 game, currently replaying, but the problem i will always have with that game, is the name, the Tombs were non existent, Lara during the game mentions she hates Tombs, game should have been named Lara Croft Adventures..

TR2013 has high 80% metacritics score. Since when is it a trash game?

*pulls out GAF translation book*

Trash: when a poster doesn't like something and goes to extreme levels to describe it, despite actual quality. Any attempt at rational thinking is lost. Common with millennials.
Ex. "I didn't bother finishing To Kill a Mockingbird. It's trash."

*pulls out GAF translation book*

Trash: when a poster doesn't like something and goes to extreme levels to describe it, despite actual quality. Any attempt at rational thinking is lost. Common with millennials.
Ex. "I didn't bother finishing To Kill a Mockingbird. It's trash."
"Shadow of Mordor is literally, literally the worst game I have ever played"

I liked the acrobatic 007 Lara as well. I feel like there's room for both since they're so radically different.

The reboot series is great but I would like to see some of Lara's gymnastics and more creatures taken from the old series as well.

I disagree with this entirely.

I think the new "humanized" Lara was just so vapid.

Lara Croft is supposed to be the female version of James Bond, but with more athletic (gymnastic) ability and less womanizing (or menanizing in her case).

2013 Lara is just a poorly characterized, everywoman. She's essentially the female equivalent of Nathan Drake, but without any of the quips and charm.

I didn't like Lara 2013 in the game and I sure as hell don't think I'd like her in the movie format either.

Lara is supposed to be a badass. If not, what's whole point exactly?

I say this as a massive Bond fan: his characterizations like that are the worst. His best, most universally acclaimed films feature him as a humbled bull in a complex political/criminal china shop. It's not a good thing when a piece of writing has all the tension and suspense of a Dolph Lundgren vehicle.

Incidentally, this sort of thing is why games are still a long way from getting held in the same regard as other forms of media. A lot of gamers would rather their games played out like Duke Nukem.

2013 Lara casually killed hundreds of mercenaries with bow and arrow. I think that must count for something

OG Lara didn't need to be a mass killer to be a badass though. She, wait for it, Explored dangerous tombs for a living. OG Lara wasn't a daddy's or momma's girl(the only thing I hated about anniversary was they changed this detail :mad: ). She was actually disowned by them because she wanted to be an adventurer. Also, she didn't do it to save the world, she does it for sport. It was her passion, she had fun with it.

That my friends is a real badass.

The 2013 reboot games are really just Lara Begin. She should grow into the character we love but I'm not sure they are going in that direction now. I have been enjoying the games though.

tuxfool

Banned
Holy shit, neoGAF terrible opinions the thread.

Who shit in y'all's Cheerios?

I'd liken the writing in the new TR games to diarrhoea in most senses of the word.

OG Lara didn't need to be a mass killer to be a badass though. She, wait for it, Explored dangerous tombs for a living. OG Lara wasn't a daddy's or momma's girl(the only thing I hated about anniversary was they changed this detail :mad: ). She was actually disowned by them because she wanted to be an adventurer. Also, she didn't do it to save the world, she does it for sport. It was her passion, she had fun with it.

Absolutely. The writing in OG Tomb Raiders could easily be improved upon but 2013 Lara is the equivalent to other-M Samus.

Violet_0

Banned

heh, I'm not saying that New Lara is a good character, far from it. It's just that killing hundreds of baddies would technically qualify as badass. Of course, most videogame characters have a ridiculous kill count

Zakalwe

Banned
A shitty script, convoluted story, and boring action couldn't make Assassins Creed worth it.

Which is, historically, the sad truth for the vast majority of video game adaptions.

And as the source material for this new adaption is in keeping with all of this, the hope drains further. :(

ERotIC

Banned
I don't understand why they're still trying to make film adaptations of video games when current video games are pretty much just interactive CG movies at this point.

Slaythe

The 2013 reboot games are really just Lara Begin. She should grow into the character we love but I'm not sure they are going in that direction now. I have been enjoying the games though.

So Lara began by hating tombs, randomly finding them while her life is threatened by mercenaries wherever she goes, and becoming a mass murderer, killing thousands of people with no sweat.

I think I'll pass. :/

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Is she just casually hanging off a rock?

That's a pretty casual one handed hang.

Top Bottom