• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EW: Tomb Raider star Alicia Vikander teases her version of Lara Croft

BadWolf

I'll wait to see her in action before passing judgment but here's hoping she isn't taking inspiration from the reboots, Lara is terrible there.

Futureman

Is she just casually hanging off a rock?

That's a pretty casual one handed hang.

it's such a weird photo to me.

"Hey want to go out behind the building in your Lara costume? We can use this lamp here to light the photo I'll take with my iPhone. Just hang for a few seconds from the rock with an extremely worried look on your face."

I am hoping none of the godawful writing from the game's carry over. Some pretty talented people working on this, so it could be good. Just steer the fuck away from the "I must/I have to" mess that is the games.

The 2013 game was garbage and so was Lara in the sequel.

Terrible characterization.

But Vikander is great and they have Walton Goggins on board too, so I'm cautiously optimistic for the movie.
Lol no it wasn't! TR2013 was perfectly fine. Just because it wasn't "TEH BEST GARME EVAH!!!" or GOTY material doesn't mean the game was garbage. There's this thing called nuance. TR2013 was in a very comfortable level of "good".

I wouldn't throw around the word garbage so casually. I'd reserve that for games like, say, Big Rigs, Hong Kong 97, or Bubsy 3D lest the word looses all meaning. Those belong in the garbage.

MilkBeard

Which part?

Or do you think the opinions that the writing is terrible in the new TR games have no justification?

Huh?

Every time a gamer uses the phrase "garbage," "terrible" or "hot mess," I am inclined to send their words to the garbage bin inside my brain. Reason being, hyperbole and arbitrary reasons make up the vast majority of why they are saying these words.

I would say personally that the writing was definitely lacking, but if you are to really compare with other games, I'd say the correct word would be "mediocre," or possibly even "disappointing" instead. Not great, but not terrible. Now, as games, they are pretty good, and are mostly praised, except for echo chamber bubbles like we have here.

Anung

Un Rama
I am hoping none of the godawful writing from the game's carry over. Some pretty talented people working on this, so it could be good. Just steer the fuck away from the "I must/I have to" mess that is the games.

Assassins Creed has some incredibly talented people too. Fassbender and the director just made that really good Macbeth film before it. I'm not holding out hope this will be any good.

Zakalwe

Banned
Every time a gamer uses the phrase "garbage," "terrible" or "hot mess," I am inclined to send their words to the garbage bin inside my brain. Reason being, hyperbole and arbitrary reasons make up the vast majority of why they are saying these words.

I would say personally that the writing was definitely lacking, but if you are to really compare with other games, I'd say it the correct word would be "mediocre" instead. Not great, but not terrible. Now, as games, they are pretty good, and are mostly praised, except for echo chamber bubbles like we have here.

The writing was terrible. Both games. I could back this up with a wall-o-text on why, but you can just go to any relevant thread discussing this aspect of those games and find many well articulate posts that justify the claim.

Calling something terrible is not hyperbole by itself especially when there's countless examples of people making comprehensive arguments as to why.

This isn't a great place to call out gaf hyperbole, imo.

Is she just casually hanging off a rock?

That's a pretty casual one handed hang.

I go climbing sometimes and my friend goes all the time. We have shots that look like this of all of us, makes us look like utter beasts when a few seconds later we were on the floor.

Kurdel

Banned
Not enough muscles

1(487).jpg

Kurdel

Banned
If you go to every secret tomb and 100 percent it, I guess.

But you're deflecting from the fact that there's already an entire movie of cut scenes in there and what's the point of recreating it?

Wait, do you think Hollywood is maybe in it just for the money? 🤔

ERotIC

Banned
Right? On GAF if a game isn't GOTY material it's garbage. It's either of these two. No room for nuance.

I liked the game. But it's indicative of games turning more towards cut scenes and QTE's and trying to be "cinematic". Making film adaptations more and more pointless.

If you go to every secret tomb and 100 percent it, I guess.

But you're deflecting from the fact that there's already an entire movie of cut scenes in there and what's the point of recreating it?

I was responding to your claim that most games today are just cg interactive movies, which is false. And the fact that you can stitch together two hours worth of cutscenes from a 12 hour game into a vaguely coherent story that might resemble a movie from a distance is irrelevant. The point of recreating it is that the youtube video you linked doesn't have the potential to bring in profits to a movie studio.

kunonabi

What is this? The game was a ton of fun. The story could use work, but most games have that issue. The game itself was great.

Nah, the "platforming", puzzles and tombs were terrible and the combat was pretty braindead as well even on hard. The game was pretty and that was about it.

MilkBeard

This isn't a great place to call out gaf hyperbole, imo.

Why not? Encountering it constantly on this forum makes it a pain to talk about anything. If in every single instance, you say, "we shouldn't talk about hyperbole here,' then it will never be addressed. Also, what games do you play, I'm curious, that have writing that excels well above Tomb Raider 2013, making it the terrible piece of garbage that many of you claim? This isn't a matter of, 'Oh, this game is a bitter better than Tomb Raider,' we are talking about games that are so much better that they make Tomb Raider the bottom of the barrel, according to these words. And don't say The Witcher, because that's more of an exception rather than a rule, and was based on a book written beforehand. Preferably, some AAA titles with similar gameplay would be good as well. I haven't played Uncharted, which I have heard that the writing is better, but still faces similar issues of 'ludonarrative dissonance' (as some people have put it) even if, say, general writing is a step above.

Not enough muscles

1(487).jpg

I hadn't actually taken a look at the link, and didn't realize that I know this actress. She was in Ex Machina, and pulled a great role. Hopefully this movie won't fall in the same pits of other game movies.

Zakalwe

Banned
Why not? Encountering it constantly on this forum makes it a pain to talk about anything. If in every single instance, you say, "we shouldn't talk about hyperbole here,' then it will never be addressed. Also, what games do you play, I'm curious, that have writing that excels well above Tomb Raider 2013, making it the terrible piece of garbage that many of you claim? This isn't a matter of, 'Oh, this game is a bitter better than Tomb Raider,' we are talking about games that are so much better that they make Tomb Raider the bottom of the barrel, according to these words. And don't say The Witcher, because that's more of an exception rather than a rule, and was based on a book written beforehand. Preferably, some AAA titles with similar gameplay would be good as well. I haven't played Uncharted, which I have heard that the writing is better, but still faces similar issues of 'ludonarrative dissonance' (as some people have put it) even if, say, general writing is a step above.

Why not?

The part of my post you cut out for your convenient quoting explains why not.

As for better writing, sure:

The Witcher (don't tell me what to do!), Uncharted series, Mass Effect 1-3 (yes, even 3), Dragon Age series, Batman Arkham series, Nier Automata, Persona 5, the Last of Us, Telltale Games games, Etc...

All of these examples have much better writing, and I could write an essay on why. Feel free to start a thread with that as the focus and I will.

Goodstyle

There has never been a compelling version of the Lara Croft character.

Pre-reboot she was just a shallow male wish-fulfillment sexy action girl.
Post-reboot she became the most white bread, milquetoast protagonist in gaming.

Tomb Raider was never good and doesn't deserve to have movies made about it.

Manu

No, she wasn't.

Don't blame the games because you didn't understand them.

Man the way so much of GAF seems to hate on Tomb Raider reboot, you'd think it was Superman 64. That game is pretty damn solid actually. As someone who wasn't that interested in it, I was surprised at how good it was once I did finally play it.

In terms of story, character development and narrative exposition, I entirely agree with you....

However, that's never been the reason people play Tomb Raider games. As games they've been excellent examples of the videogame entertainment medium.

Which is why I think, badass, dual-pistol-wielding Lara is really the only version that works, as mindless, action-packed, summer blockbuster flick. Hell, that's what the games have been about.

The 2013 TR reboot, was a great game, but also a very good example of ludo-narrative dissonance.

If the game couldn't pull of a convincing transition from, unskilled, inexperienced Lara, to badass mass-murdering Lara, in the 10-20 hours of play that gamers sunk into it, then I don't think a movie has a hope in hell of pulling off that transition in a 2 hour flick.

They made the wrong decision on this, imho. I hope they prove me wrong, but i'm not holding my breath.

Manu

Man the way so much of GAF seems to hate on Tomb Raider reboot, you'd think it was Superman 64. That game is pretty damn solid actually. As someone who wasn't that interested in it, I was surprised at how good it was once I did finally play it.

To be fair I kinda hate the game because of what it wasn't, but it was a really solid game. Just not what I expected from a game with "Tomb Raider" in the title, either in a gameplay or story level.

kazinova

Holy moly, I didn't know there was a task force dedicated to shitting on the Tomb Raider reboots. Those games are good and the story is meh and but the version of Lara they tried to depict is pretty good.

Better than anything that came before!

To be fair I kinda hate the game because of what it wasn't, but it was a really solid game. Just not what I expected from a game with "Tomb Raider" in the title, either in a gameplay or story level.

That's the general vibe I get from most posters. I just wish they'd articulate that instead of just calling it "garbage".

Blader

I actually enjoyed the game (still need to play the sequel) and love Vikander, but I'm not convinced there will ever be a good video game movie.

Top Bottom