• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-Telltale Games, Klei Entertainment and Olly Moss form new game studio, Campo Santo

Kade

campo_santo.0_cinema_720.0.png

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/19/4747902/campo-santo-walking-dead-mark-of-the-ninja-telltale-games
http://www.camposantogames.com/
http://twitter.com/camposanto
http://blog.camposantogames.com/post/61574451440/deciding-to-found-and-then-actually-create-a-video

A group of industry veterans whose work includes The Walking Dead and Mark of the Ninja co-founded a new development studio, according to a post on the new studio's official blog.

Campo Santo's staff includes former Telltale creative director and designer Jake Rodkin, designer and writer Sean Vanaman, as well as Mark of the Ninja lead designer Nels Anderson and artist Olly Moss, who's worked with Lucasfilm, Studio Ghibli and others.

Campo Santo's first game game is being "being both backed by and made in collaboration with the stupendous, stupidly-successful Mac utility software-cum-design studio slash app/t-shirt/engineering company Panic Inc. from Portland, Oregon," Vanaman wrote.

Panic's software includes the web editor Coda, the FTP client Transmit. Panic also has the distinction of registering the world's first emoji domain.

"So why are we doing this?" Vanaman wrote. "To be honest, it's because we think we've found the right group of people to make the first reason not just worth enduring but actually thrilling. As we talk to our friends and industry colleagues about "doing something indie" with us, there's a shared pragmatism informed by years in the industry that melds with the lingering youthful enthusiasm that got us into games to begin with. Some of us want to tell stories, some of us want to build systems, and some of us want to create beautiful looking worlds, but we all want to make something. The stultifying difficulty of making a good game is instantly tempered and then squashed.'

AKA The Idle Thumbs Game Studio

nbthedude

Holy fuck Jake and Sean. The Obama Dunking Simulated Surgery Interactive Novella of my dreams can now become a reality.

Munin

made in collaboration with the stupendous, stupidly-successful Mac utility software-cum-design studio slash app/t-shirt/engineering company Panic Inc. from Portland, Oregon," Vanaman wrote.

Panic's software includes the web editor Coda, the FTP client Transmit. Panic also has the distinction of registering the world's first emoji domain.

wat

Good stuff. I wonder if they are still giving better leases for some tech companies in SF when Gavin Newsom was around.

What does this mean for Tell Tale Games?

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Oh My God! Famous and J Rodkin start their own studio! Can't wait to see what they make.
clip said:
Jake and Sean leave Telltale? What about Nick Breckon??
We are Sean Vanaman, Jake Rodkin, Olly Moss, Nels Anderson, and...
It's obviously gonna say and I'm Nick Breckon.

Can't wait to be blown away by Idle Thumbs: the Game. Press A to "fuck Nick."

That team is seriously talented though and I can't wait to see what they have in store.

JeTmAn81

It seems weird to me that someone would thinking working for Telltale isn't indie enough. I'm interested to see what these guys come up with, though. It must be great to go out and do something that's 100% your own.

D-e-f-

Banned
Maybe that's where the insurrectionist movement was hatched.

I don't think two weeks is enough time to quit your day job and form a new company incl. business partnership, etc.

I prefer to believe they all had the same dream a few months ago and have subconsciously taken steps taking them down this road and realized what happened on that podcast-recording day.

So you're saying I get a game with the writing of The Walking Dead, the mechanical-quality of Mark of the Ninja? and the art of an Olly Moss piece?

HNNNGGGGGGG.

Oh man, I love the slowly changing background colors on their website. Awesome.

Man... this team. I'm playing Mark of the Ninja right now... I know Thumbs loved it already. Plus Jake and Sean... and Olly... i need to ly dow

lupinko

Can't wait for these screenprints from Olly, unless there's a conflict of interest??? o_O

FancyposterGaf is FancyGaf.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
hopefully they'll make real adventure games again since Telltale abandoned that genre for the interactive show style genre.

It seems weird to me that someone would thinking working for Telltale isn't indie enough. I'm interested to see what these guys come up with, though. It must be great to go out and do something that's 100% your own.

I'm guessing he was referring to the fact that they now have their own studio and can do whatever they want, whereas at TTG they had to answer to someone - regardless of whatever influence they garnered after their success via TWD.

I wonder if there's now the possibility of a CampoCast...?

Top Bottom