• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-Telltale Games, Klei Entertainment and Olly Moss form new game studio, Campo Santo

WasabiJoe

Neo Member
I know that Idle Thumbs is having fun, but some game studios are still working.

Those "cameos" on the podcast a few weeks ago are a lot more revealing now.

Jhriad

Day One for whatever they put out. Extremely talented and intelligent individuals and I'm sure whatever they make will be right up my alley. Telltale games just became a lot less appealing though. Jurassic Park 2? Let us all pray Nick can save the studio from that fate.

Fuck Nick Breckon.

This should have been every reply in the thread.

EDIT: Please don't do an iOS only game. Please?

Piggo

Congrats guys, huge news. This is an absolute dream team assembling here, and I can't wait to see what you guys do together.

There is one thing I would absolutely love to come out of this and that is for a Campo Santo podcast on the Idle Thumbs Network.

I don't know what the right schedule would be for this, perhaps once a month, but it would be so cool to hear the team sit down and talk about the studio's life since the last recording. We would get to follow along with your game development, see you all adjust to working together and how you go about setting up an indie studio.

You could have special guests (the Panic guys are an obvious first pick) to mix things up and get someone else's perspective on what you're doing and the indie space in general.

I hope you consider it, but I understand it could be daunting having an audience follow you so closely as you figure everything out. At the very least it would be brilliant to get one episode of Idle Thumbs where Chris and Nick interview you about the decision to set up shop independently .

Haunted

Jake and Sean not with Telltale anymore, that's huge news. :O

Snagging the MotN lead from Klei is also a big deal, wow.

Also, Olly Moss means everything they put out will have awesome logos and graphic design. :D

Haunted

edit: obviously there's only one question that's on everybody's mind right now

what does this mean for Dota Today?

Jintor

Wizard game gold puffin bird noise lords management baboo horse bag far cry 2 can't tell their voices apart CONGRATULATIONS fuck nick

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

edit: no programmers yet. must be tough to actually make a game with only designers and artists.

hamchan

Wow, what a fantastic combination of talent. Can't wait to see what they put out.

Seems like a huge blow for Telltale to lose Jake and Sean. Very interested to see how their future games turn out now. I feel the best episodes from the Walking Dead were the ones Sean wrote.

Aaron

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

edit: no programmers yet. must be tough to actually make a game with only designers and artists.
They are partnered with Panic, who I assume will be doing the heavy lifting.

LCfiner

They are partnered with Panic, who I assume will be doing the heavy lifting.

Cabel form Panic has said their involvement is mostly just for funding, with a little bit of input on the game design. Never suggested they would be programming.

Yeah, I was thinking that this was three lead designers and an artist. I'm also worried because there's just too much awesome focused at one game studio. This is the people behind Walking Dead AND Mark of the Ninja. Before we got two great games out of this, but now we only get one!

Am I the only one who lost a lot of interest in Walking Dead season 2 based on this? I'm sure it will be just fine, and it's not like Jake and Sean are the only ones responsible for making it. But it feels kind of secondary without what I perceive to be the main creative forces behind it. Maybe I'm way off.

mclem

Camp Santa?

DXBGGgc.jpg

MrDaravon

Holy shit!

Am I the only one who lost a lot of interest in Walking Dead season 2 based on this? I'm sure it will be just fine, and it's not like Jake and Sean are the only ones responsible for making it. But it feels kind of secondary without what I perceive to be the main creative forces behind it. Maybe I'm way off.

Nope, me too. Same with Fables.

Best of luck, Nels being there and the initial blog posts makes me happy as it makes me confident they will make more a video game than a video experience.

Jake

I may as well say here that the guys working on WD season two are all pretty awesome. Most of them were also on Season One and 400 Days. Same team of directors and writers and artists from Season One (minus Sean and me obviously) plus some new folks who are also bosses. Season Two is a day one perch for me.

Also re: programmers and other folks, the people announced so far aren't the whole team/company.

Best of luck, Nels being there and the initial blog posts makes me happy as it makes me confident they will make more a video game than a video experience.
Burn! But also not burn at all. Thank you! We're excited.

L00P

I may as well say here that the guys working on WD season two are all pretty awesome. Most of them were also on Season One and 400 Days. Same team of directors and writers and artists from Season One (minus Sean and me obviously) plus some new folks who are also bosses. Season Two is a day one perch for me.

"What's gonna happen to The Walking Dead?" is what I first thought of when I saw this news.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that season two will be just as good, if not better than season one

really glad you guys decided to spread your wings. Congrats and good luck

Shaneus

You know, Cameron Posanto is really pissed right now that he put off registering his domain name and Twitter account for so long. How could you guys do this to him?

Idle Thumbs injoke/meme
What? I actually really just hated him. Never knew about any kind of joke/meme thing.

Gold.

Corto

Just kidding.

It's a regular game. PC, Mac, Linux. For now.

Sorry for my incredulity Moss hehehe. I know and use Panic software since almost their beginnings as a Mac shareware company and it caught me by complete surprise that they are venturing in video games publishing business to begin with, and on other platforms than Mac/iOS no less! I would love to hear how that came to be if possible.

Jake

Sorry for my incredulity Moss hehehe. I know and use Panic software since almost their beginnings as a Mac shareware company and it caught me by complete surprise that they are venturing in video games publishing business to begin with, and on other platforms than Mac/iOS no less! I would love to hear how that came to be if possible.
I'll be posting about that this week in the blog.

Kade

The first e-mail has been sent out to subscribers of their electronic newsletter, distributed via electronic mail. Along with it, a quarterly review written by UK-based funnyman and Twitter User Duncan Fyfe of hitselfdestruct fame. The real news is that whatever thing they are working on is getting revealed in a few days!

Famous said:
Welcome to the first Campo Santo newsletter! When we were thinking of the best way to reach the brilliant folks who have shown interest in our new video game venture we figured something cutting edge like an e-mail newsletter was a surefire way to set the internet ablaze.

We want to let you know about two exciting things: one for you to immediately enjoy and one for you to imminently expect. First, we are launching the Campo Santo Quarterly Review; a long-form publication of news, stories, facts and errata made, without edit or supervision, by our new ombudsman, a man named Duncan Fyfe. The first issue is available to you, fine video game enthusiast in either .pdf or .epub file below. It is free, exclusive to you, and staggering.

Secondly, we are mere days away from announcing our first game. Our aim is to have a small webpage and a redesigned camposanto.com for you on March 13th. Bad with dates? Shredded all of your calendars because they remind you of the relentless passage of time that will only end in concordance with your own demise? Don't worry, just watch your inbox and we'll drop you a tiny update so you're the first to know about the game. Want to be the second to know? Follow us on twitter because we'll announce it there too.

Thanks so much for saying "I gotta have it," when it comes to all news Campo Santo. We're excited to make some games for you!

http://www.camposanto.com/quarterlyreview/vol1issue1/index.html

Top Bottom