• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Examples of film/TV/comedy from the past that wouldn't be acceptable today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

old

Once Upon a Time in the West

An epic 1968 spaghetti western from Sergio Leone.

There's a scene where Henry Fonda (the villain) rapes Claudia Cardinale (the damsel).

mclem

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia does just about every thing in here people say you can't do by modern standards. Black face? Check. Racial slurs? Check. Rape? Check. And the list goes on and on.

I think context is important, though. I brought up The Goodies, which is ostensibly a kids programme. Albeit one that had a lot of adult appeal too.

LionPride

Banned
Yep. This is one of the best jokes in the film, but the 'I speak jive' stuff definitely would be taken out today, sadly.

I'm also pretty sure you can't do any of the stuff Monty Python did on tv anymore, even back then it everyone was shocked they were allowed to do the things they did.
No! It wouldn't! Jesus Christ

Majora

That simpsons episode where Homer thinks bart might be gay so he tries to do conversion therapy on him.

ffJmKYM.jpg

Eh, I think this would work just fine today. For starters, the episode makes it quite clear that Homer is being ridiculous and is in the wrong. It doesn't in any way condone what Homer is doing at any point. Quite the opposite in fact.

Secondly, the 'conversion therapy' is incredibly mild, and always humorous at its core. Homer doesn't make Bart do terrible things, nor does he keep telling Bart he's wrong or sick. It's all done in secret, and never goes beyond Homer wanting to show Bart hetero-normative things. Furthermore, the episode ends with Homer accepting Bart for whatever he wants to be, so it has the classic redemption arc for a prejudiced character.

The episode is simply a riff on a very particular type of person's reaction to homosexuality, while highlighting the absurdity of the thought process behind it. While there were certainly far more Homers around 20 years ago than there are now when it comes to attitudes towards homosexuality, I don't think the episode would cause any outrage.

Put it this way - it still gets broadcast regularly today. There is a lot of genuinely offensive old TV that broadcasters would never dream of putting on the air in 2017.

Some things seem to be immune indefinitely from criticism

Legion depicts a medicated person in a psych ward drooling on them self as comedy and calling the patients "these people", and name dropping real illnesses and medication etc as a joke. Its rough for people like me who have actually been in that kind of rehab to be constantly reminded how much of a joke it still is to family, friends, and the tv shows and movies they watch to top it off.
Some first world countries just kick people out of their families who have these conditions, while the suicide attempt rate for real schizophrenia is close to half. Clinical depression also has up to 15% of people actually take their own lives. The statistics are undeniable and distressing.

I was told to just "not watch movies" because I commented on how its depicted in the latest M Night movie. So it seems like its not even up for debate.

In regards to your M Night comment, nobody debates it because you didn't make a valid argument. You interpreted the movie as glorifying mental illness as super human ability. When the entire movie was about the subconscious revealing what was already there to begin with, discovering his ability because of his disorder not that his disorder gave him an ability.

Just because something is offensive doesn't mean it should be off limits. Is there any depiction of mental illness you're okay with or is it just too personal to separate yourself?

Chuckie

Type in yt:

Andrew Dice Clay - Immigrants

he'd get arrested.

The most disturbing about that video is the audience... who goes crazy at the end and shout with him: If you don't know the language get the fuck out of the country!

I've seen his show a long time ago when I was a 16 year old edgy asshole teen....and even back then I thought his show went too far. Now I cannot even watch it anymore.

I always think about Overboard and how rapey it is. I mean, the main character straight-up rapes that woman. Repeatedly. He pushes her into sleeping with him under grossly, grossly false pretenses.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia does just about every thing in here people say you can't do by modern standards. Black face? Check. Racial slurs? Check. Rape? Check. And the list goes on and on.

Yup. Oh no, Married with Children laughed at fat people, this would be triple-banned now!

Meanwhile in this season of Always Sunny, there was a thing with a stripper and I'm still baffled by how completely evil and dark that was. Much worse than most of the things mentioned in this thread.

wazoo

High Planes Drifter. The protagonist, played by Eastwood, rapes a woman in the first 15 minutes to punish her for slapping him.

There should be a distinction between "bad behavior in current time' and "bad behavior in ancient times". Inspector Harry, if it was made now, would be more debatable and impossible to act. On the opposite, expecting 21st century morality and behavior from a 19th century cowboy is politically correct but totally paradoxal.

John Hughes stuff is all over this.

Sixteen Candles doesn't alienate me as an Asian as it does a human being / woman with rape being a major plot line and joke of the whole movie.

Airola

I have no idea how Just One of the Girls would be received today.
IBe4GkN.jpg

Dude gets to a new school. Gets bullied by some bullies. Tries to get past the bullies by dressing as a girl. Won't stop dressing as a girl because it worked and he is able to be cleaning the girls' showers (while oogling the naked girls of course) and uses it to get closer to a girl he has crush on.
Also, the main bully has a crush on him as a girl. While there are moments of the hyper masculine bully wanting to get to know his tender side, which could go well as some sort of an anti "toxic masculinity" thing, there are moments in that storyline that could probably raise some sort of an outrage.

But honestly, I'm not sure. I still love the movie and don't really have any issues with it but it would be interesting to see what people today thinks of it.

Also, from another thread:

...the ending of the 80's T&A comedy Screwballs is quite a thing.
There is this one virgin girl at the school and the "heroes" have a mission to get to at least see her boobs. Or something like that.
The ending:
The guys make a system that rips the girl's top off and her boobs are shown. End credits.
And they keep on continuing the scene and showing the boobs in close-up through the credits.
If someone would dare to make a movie like that today, the internet would explode from outrage.

Toronto has a screening of Purple Rain every year around this time. Oddly enough, Prince died about 2 days before the screening last year. So the theatre was packed full of peoe who didn't know what to expect.

There were audible gasps when the word fag was tossed around and the misogynistic scenes caused a stir too. I saw some people walk out after the Morris Day dumpster scene.

I think a lot of shows dealing with racial and sexual themes wouldn't make it today.

All in the Family and Married With Children spring to mind.

Yeah, It's Always Sunny portrays stuff that's objectively worse, but it does a lot of it for the sake of being offensive, and the characters in that show are basically portrayed as giant assholes.

Take All in the Family's Archie Bunker on the other hand. He's prejudiced and bigoted and pretty upfront and unashamed about it, but he also cares about his family and is an overall sympathetic character. We're meant to recognize that Archie's views come from when he was born and how he was raised, rather than genuine malice. With changing standards of political correctness, I don't know if you could try and portray a character like Archie as sympathetic and likable nowadays without causing some controversy.

WarrenD

Im probably showing my age here but this all seems to tame compared to what I grew up with. As mentioned above, British tv in the 70s was absolutely shocking. Here's Love Thy Neighbour, an old prime time sit com. This is the low end of the show, watch for a minute from 6 to 7 and you'll see how bad it was.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l0rWZJMSXVA

NSFW language.

LionPride

Banned
I think a lot of shows dealing with racial and sexual themes wouldn't make it today.

Yeah, It's Always Sunny portrays stuff that's objectively worse, but it does a lot of it for the sake of being offensive, and the characters in that show are basically portrayed as giant assholes.

Take All in the Family's Archie Bunker on the other hand. He's prejudiced and bigoted and pretty upfront and unashamed about it, but he also cares about his family and is an overall sympathetic character. We're meant to recognize that Archie's views come from when he was born and how he was raised, rather than genuine malice. With changing standards of political correctness, I don't know if you could try and portray a character like Archie as sympathetic and likable nowadays without causing some controversy.
If the show would be a satire on the stupidity of bigots, there would be no problem.

Toronto has a screening of Purple Rain every year around this time. Oddly enough, Prince died about 2 days before the screening last year. So the theatre was packed full of peoe who didn't know what to expect.

There were audible gasps when the word fag was tossed around and the misogynistic scenes caused a stir too. I saw some people walk out after the Morris Day dumpster scene.
So they missed the actual slapping of a woman? Shame. That movie has a weird message behind the concert taking place. Like he plays Purple Rain and she forgives The Kid for slapping her despite the fact he never apologized.

Odoul

latest

The Handbannana episode of Aqua Teen.

Married with Children as already mentioned. It would be a very different show.

Sanford and Son would even have a little of the bite taken out of it.

The Bundys of Married With Children were assholes as well though?

A small moment of the movie, but in Excellent Adventure Bill & Ted briefly calling each other "Fag!" after hugging after cheating death really sticks out now.

Just because something is offensive doesn't mean it should be off limits. Is there any depiction of mental illness you're okay with or is it just too personal to separate yourself?

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest had a real effect on psychiatry. At least the novel did. I didn't mind movies like Eternal Sunshine which worked because they don't bring in specifics.
If you want recent examples all I can think of right now is the autistic kid in Power Rangers being a depiction of the differently minded without being a joke.

like I said, I enjoyed both Legion and Split, and am merely trying to point out how its probably not a positive or realistic portrayal and the general attitude and ignorance of the general population in reality are still helping to kill so many people unintentionally.
If you don't think that's valid then you are perhaps unwillingly a symptom of such a real problem.

Ithil

During the montage in Mrs. Doubtfire where Robin Williams is deliberately calling with terrible interviews for housekeeper so his ex-wife will be more susceptible to his real audition, one of the calls he makes he pretends to be a transsexual woman, to which his ex instantly hangs up and exclaims "yikes!" at the thought.

That sure would not fly today and it really sticks out in an otherwise charming movie.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Angry_boys.jpg

Loved this show but holy shit. Couldn't believe some of the stuff that happened on this show and that was only 5 years ago.
Chris Lilley is still making shows, he's immune from criticism because no one watches them. He played a boy from Tonga in his last one and "The series was called "racist"and "creepy" and resulted in protests from academics and Tongan youth concerned at the inaccurate and demeaning portrayals of Tongan culture. There was also criticism of his use of brownface"

Three's Company. Pretty much the whole thing.

There's a scene in Harriet the Spy where the kids are deciding what game to play and Harriet rejects one suggestion with "That's ... RETARDED."

Popular 70/80 British "Comic" Jim Davidson and his racist stereotypes. He had prime time TV slots as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjmsRsWl7jU

In fact a lot of British comics at the time did this, and are still completely unapologetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP3cwqdewis
Jim Davidson lasted well into the 90s, I remember him being one of the top light entertainers when I was a kid in the mid 90s. Then I saw some of his stand up work when I was about 14 and was like 'oh shit this is racist as fuck'. I wasn't even particularly 'woke' either.

PillarEN

There's a scene where Henry Fonda (the villain) rapes Claudia Cardinale (the damsel).

I just saw a movie where an underage girl is raped by adult men. Why wouldn't that fly? It's unsettling, sure. That's part of the point though.

I don't think you could get away with some of the sexualization you see in 70s or 80s comedies for kids. Goonies is a good example. Andy is treated as a bit of an object. Too many panty shots, the car scene, the "stolen kiss" scene that plays out a bit like a G-rated version of the Darth Vader scene in Revenge of the Nerds.

Oh yeah. "Thor's a homo" from Adventures in Babysitting. You could have it, but you'd have to change it where the girl doesn't get really mad about it.

Dommo

Yeah, context definitely matters all the time. Like, just because there's something ostensibly racist in a film or tv show doesn't mean the show itself is racist or pushing racist agenda. Always Sunny is about a group of the most horrible people ever. They do heinous, offensive shit all the time and we, the audience, are not supposed to get behind them for it. We're supposed to be laughing at them; at how tone deaf they are, at how stupid and inconsiderate they're being.

Having the actor Mickey Rooney playing a stereotypical asian character for apparently no ulterior reason is not the same thing. When Bond slaps a girl on the ass and says "Man talk," it's jarring because he's supposed to be the conduit and the character we get behind and look up to. When Crocodile Dundee grabs a woman by the crotch to see if she's got a penis, it's jarring because once again, he's the conduit and the character we're supposed to get behind and look up to. These are a world apart from the characters we're actively laughing at and distancing ourselves from, constantly thinking to ourselves "Holy shit these guys are absolute fuck-ups."

It's Always Sunny is perfectly acceptable.

Some of those old Tom & Jerry or Looney Tunes cartoons were filled blackface and every racial stereotype known to man. The violent gags probably would be cut today as well.

And Soul Man

soul-man-978x400.png

I would pay good money to see a remake of this, but instead of a white guy who pretends to be black, it would have a black guy who pretends to be Korean.

Seoul Man.

Valhelm

contribute something

That's nothing. In High Plains Drifter (1973), Clint Eastwood rapes an anonymous woman in the opening scene. And he's the hero.

score01

Benny Hill.

I remember watching that with my parents and brother when younger. Can't ever imagine watching anything close to that with my young family.

The blatant fat shaming wouldn't fly today on network TV. There isn't a swerve to it, Al hates on fat women.

No Ma'am might get a pass cause all the dudes are bumbling idiots.

Plus all the cheap titillation. Maybe on Spike TV, but on modern day Fox? Never.

They've been running fucking Family Guy for the last 10 years.

I have a very hard time believing Blazing Saddles would be acceptable today.

Why?

Satirizing racism didn't stop in 1974. It's continued. In ways more pointed and insightful, amazing as that may sound.

This thread comes up every now and again, and it almost always becomes this weird sort of romanticization of "non-PC" comedy. Like a wistful sort of "ahhh, don't you wish you were alive then and could hear that sort of stuff on TV without having to wince?"

As you scroll past 30 different stand-up specials and acclaimed television series on your on-demand service of choice that go far beyond any of that shit in much more interesting/successful ways.

Slacker

Cheers dealing with LGBT issues. I would not shout 'Norm!' if George Wendt walked into my local dive bar.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Diane call the gang a bunch of 'sniveling bigots' when they were worried about a gay person hanging around in the bar?

Now Sam doing the "why I oughtta" stuff with Diane may not work too well these days.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Diane call the gang a bunch of 'sniveling bigots' when they were worried about a gay person hanging around in the bar?

Now Sam doing the "why I oughtta" stuff with Diane may not work too well these days.

Yeah, there was a whole episode where the gang tripped out at the idea of gay people being regulars at the bar, and Diane basically shamed everyone to death. After that point, aside from some confused jokes from Coach in one episode (less about being gay, more about "who's on first" type bullshit) most gay presences in the show featured everyone in the bar treating the person as a person first and foremost.

They weren't on the bleeding edge of acceptance, no, but I don't remember them being too casually homophobic.

But yeah, Sam & Diane used to hit each other semi-frequently.

Machine

Type in yt:

Andrew Dice Clay - Immigrants

he'd get arrested.

A lot (most) of Dice's material can rightly be interpreted as misogynistic and xenophobic. Back when he was popular, I always assumed he was playing a character (sort of like Larry the Cable Guy) and found it to be pretty amusing because I knew a few guys like that. Now I'm not so sure because he seems to have become the caricature he used to merely portray.

What moments exactly are people referring to with Married with Children? I watch it every few months, and nothing seems unacceptable for today's time. It definitely goes to weird and *-phobic places in the shoe store, and it has all our old '80s and '90s ideas in it, but as said many times, there are plenty of similar or MWC-inspired shows on now that go way past anything it did.

If the show would be a satire on the stupidity of bigots, there would be no problem.

Well of course. And the satirization of Archie's bigotry was a big point of the show, but he was still portrayed as well meaning and not malicious, and I don't know how well that would fly nowadays. There was a foundation of a family oriented sitcom there. If the show were pure satire and Archie completely unsympathetic, it wouldn't be the same show.

The Bundys of Married With Children were assholes as well though?

Yeah, and I think they kind of skirt the line, so they might be allowable nowadays. But even so, Al Bundy was a character audiences went wild for when he walked in the room. The show was written so that we enjoyed his quips and jabs at people. Because his life sucked so much, those barbs were the only victories he could take, and the audiences often found themselves rooting for him.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. But it's hard to picture a modern protagonist that we're supposed to enjoy hanging around having a scene like this.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. But it's hard to picture a modern protagonist that we're supposed to enjoy hanging around having a scene like this.
Yeah this is a fucked up attitude protagonists on network TV now wouldn't have, but I really liked the deep Al-Marcy rivalry based on their genders, for its time. She also has her own scenes where she nails him on an issue or explains something full of shitty early '90s ideas.

MWC was weird. Now I'm remembering the episode where the families go on a cabin trip and all the women get their periods at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom