• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Examples of old movies with CGI that has aged well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terminator 2

tumblr_nbb4d4jkOn1qfr6udo1_500.gif

Flight of the Navigator

nrZ5Xi1.gif

Came into post these exact two movies

++

Jurassic Park for sure. That Spawn gif is also impressive, but I haven't seen the movie.

I recently watched part of Ice Age, and it has not aged well.

I think the Lord of the Rings trilogy will age so much better than The Hobbit, because despite the difference in tech they didn't rely on it for everything.

There's a few moments when Gollum's clearly superimposed over a scene but the model itself hasn't aged neatly as bad as other early 2000's CGI. Weirdly the Pale Orc in Hobbit looks so much worse 12 years later.

rbenchley

Cameron's early CGI movies (The Abyss, Terminator ) still hold up pretty well. Another film's CGI that still looks great after all of these years is Forrest Gump. It wasn't a huge sci-fi extravaganza that needed effects in every frame, but they did a good job with seamlessly inserting Tom Hanks into footage with historical figures, multiplying 1,500 extras at the Lincoln Memorial into a 100,000 plus crowd, erasing Gary Sinise's legs and so on. These days, anyone with a GoPro and Adobe Premiere could duplicate the same effects pretty quickly and easily, but it was pretty impressive work back in 1994.

I think the first Matrix still holds up perfectly, some things are a bit dated but it's easier to forgive since the movie takes place in a simulation..

Now the sequels....This shit never looked good

HZvk7T.gif

escape-o.gif

Fullscreen+capture+27022012+221853.jpg

neoism

Jurassic Park T-Rex attack

The fact that the jeep is CGI is incredible. I always thought it was a practical effect.

https://youtu.be/PgixhKfH1w4?t=88

amazing... i just couldnt believe this when i seen this in theaters at 9 years old.. @_@

i know it'll never happen but it would be cool if ILM redid the rain scene again but with todays best cgi just to see how better or worse it is...

its a little bit of nostalgia and the fact it was the first cgi most everyone seen, that it remains soo good in our eyes...

but seriously what the fuck did they do, the rain scene is insane and i remeber reading that the trex was only 25000 polygons ��

jdstorm

Banned
amazing... i just couldnt believe this when i seen this in theaters at 9 years old.. @_@

i know it'll never happen but it would be cool if ILM redid the rain scene again but with todays best cgi just to see how better or worse it is...

its a little bit of nostalgia and the fact it was the first cgi most everyone seen, that it remains soo good in our eyes...

but seriously what the fuck did they do, the rain scene is insane and i remeber reading that the trex was only 25000 polygons ��

Despite being the right age to have seen Jurassic park as a child. I didn't see it until 2010 (post avatar) and it still held up 100%

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait what? The T-Rex attack jeep was cgi? o_O

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Obviously the razor bats in this shot from Spider-Man are CGI. But so is Spidey.

vKzClzI.gif

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???

I... I always thought only the Rex was CGI. Wow.

Vehicles have been pretty easy to do with CGI for a long time.

Funfact: Any time you've seen a flying vehicle in a movie in the last 15 years? 95% chance it was CG. Making a CG plane or helicopter is almost always cheaper than renting one and shooting it for real. Often goes for stuff on the ground, too. You've seen CG vehicles a hundred times and never known it. To say nothing of how often backgrounds and buildings are CG. David Fincher's Zodiac in particular is one of the champions of "I had no idea that entire shot was CGI."

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Some odd choices in here for a thread with the words "old movies" in the title...

Andromeda Strain (1971)
BrfQIhA.gif

GCX

80s and 90s Disney animations where the CGI was used very sparingly and only in key scenes.

The Great Mouse Detective is especially impressive because the movie is from 1986 and the whole Big Ben scene is mostly CGI:

QmZ7GXo.gif

Stuff like The Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King don't look too bad either:

LcPENhH.gif

WFC9Dxl.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Eh, citing Davey Jones is cheating IMO. That's not old enough, as the technology and knowhow at that time was definitely enough to produce something truly realistic.

I'm more amazed that something like T2 and JP still has scenes that look fantastic today. That was built on, by today's standards, really primitive software.

Starship troopers guys
I actually watched Starship Troopers again a few months ago and I thought that while flawed, it still did look pretty good. I've always thought it was pretty ballsy to show off some of the bigger CG battles in broad daylight. Its usually something a lot of filmmakers try to avoid.

g-rfTF.gif

RamaKun

I know its already been said many many times, but my pick has always been Jurassic Park. I've rewatched so many old favorites and been disappointed at how noticeable older CGI really stands out in a number of them, but Jurassic Park still looks so very very good.

And this thread reminding me of how amazing Davy Jones looked has got me wanting to rewatch the Pirates series.

The movie was mostly practical effects, but I always thought The Last Starfighter's sparing CG held up way better than it had a right to for quite a long time after the film came out.

Galaxy Quest looked pretty good last time I checked

Eh, those razor-toothed aliens they love sticking on the covers and in the trailer for some reason never looked great IMO.

Some odd choices in here for a thread with the words "old movies" in the title...

Andromeda Strain (1971)
BrfQIhA.gif

I think it's just meant to be "old relative to the adoption mainstream CGI".

Adding to the list of Crichton films in this topic though, there's Westworld. Not entirely in line with the thread so a bit tangential, but a pretty significant film in the history of digital processing/effects:

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/eleme...ns-westworld-pioneered-modern-special-effects

JordanN

Banned
Star Wars Episode 1 (1999)

I know people hate on Lucas but I thought the first movie handled CGI in an elaborate way. The studio built real props and had the CGI mimic it, so it never looked uncanny or out of place when placed next to the real world.

Also from the same year was Stuart Little. They did a good job at making photorealistic fur with the technology at the time.

Edit: Hell, since I'm still on a 1999 binge I'll also include The Iron Giant. I know some people think he was drawn (because it's mostly a 2d animated movie) but him as well a lot of props were actually 3D models with a special shader designed to mimic hand drawn strokes.

Chuckie

Also, yeah, the Balrog still looks kickass.

bDNS31V.gif

2001 man.

This was one of the most impressive things I have ever seen. I remember it so well. As a huge Tolkien fan I really wondered how they would handle the Balrog.... seeing that in the theater almost made me cry haha. Fucking awesome.

I know people hate on Lucas but I thought the first movie handled CGI in an elaborate way. The studio built real props and had the CGI mimic it, so it never looked uncanny or out of place when placed next to the real world.

In general Phantom Menace had excellent CGI usage. It was one of the things it did really well, and honestly it is a pretty good looking movie.

I remember reading an article about it several years after the fact and I shocked me to learn he was cgi. I mean of course he was, but the thought just never crossed my mind that is kind of the most impressive part to me. The were able to make my suspension of disbelief that he felt real in some way. Its weird how the brain works.

Also from the same year was Stuart Little. They did a good job at making photorealistic fur with the technology at the time.

Edit: Hell, since I'm still on a 1999 binge I'll also include The Iron Giant. I know some people think he was drawn (because it's mostly a 2d animated movie) but him as well a lot of props were actually 3D models with a special shader designed to mimic hand drawn strokes.
I mean you can literally see the stunt double for Darth Maul turn into a very obvious CG model as he falls down the chute dude.
maul-4.png

LewieP

The blend of 2D animation and 3D animation in The Iron Giant holds up fantastically.

I'd also say Toy Story and Toy Story 2 still hold up fairly well, they really did a good job of understanding the limitations of the technology they were working with, and designing the premise and look around those limitations.

The Tron aesthetic has stood the test of time, even if the movie as a whole hasn't quite.

Jonm1010

Banned
I actually watched Starship Troopers again a few months ago and I thought that while flawed, it still did look pretty good. I've always thought it was pretty ballsy to show off some of the bigger CG battles in broad daylight. Its usually something a lot of filmmakers try to avoid.

g-rfTF.gif

Looking at it I think they realized the limitations at least somewhat and adapted accordingly. Frankly that seems to be the difference between good CG and bad CG.

kinda like this:

latest

Wish directors would go back to worrying about the limitations of CGI instead of thinking they can do everything and we end up with some of the crap we get. Moderation should be key. HBO's John Adams and some things in GoT actually look better then some of the 200 million dollar films CG primarily because of the cognizant attempt to minimize and hide the CG.

Oersted

T2 and JP are the best examples out there, although some might confuse practical effects with CGI in those two. The Matrix also holds up perfectly (unlike its sequels).

I thought that always looked extremely artificial (and therefore fake) to be honest. All of Fincher's "impossible" shots in Panic Room really stick out and take me out of the movie immediately.

Even for its time, there is some really spotty GCI work in Matrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom