• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Invitation for an Xbox One Alpha Trial [Titanfall]

Leaked images look bad? What the hell have I been playing all this time then. The game looks really good, hardly any jaggies, smooth as hell gameplay, and the ai actually get shit down, depending on the objectives on the map. As for the player count, your running into players to shoot all the time no matter if human, or AI. As for the resolution people, it don't look like 720p to me, and If it is, they are using a lot of AA and post processsing on the image.

I watched about 4 videos last night and I didn't see the AI do anything that could be described as "actually getting shit done." I cannot disagree with anything else you said because it is hard to tell in the videos. I thought the game looked to run really smoothe, even in the videos. The speed was absolutely amazing.

But the AI? I saw them run in big groups, run out in the open, get shot without even responding or reacting to the shooter, no flanking, no taking cover or hiding. When they did shoot back, it seemed like they simply crouched, right where they were, even if right out in the open.

However, we do not know how the AI is going to work in the future, if there is some type of difficulty setting of some type, or some type of AI progression as you level up. I would love to hear more on that. Time will tell, still 2 months to go. It was just disappointing that the AI was actually talked up quite a bit, and when you see it in action at this stage, it was a huge disappointment.

EDIT: Again, my opinions were only based on the leaked videos I have seen, I have not played it, but I have also not seen one video that showed the AI exhibiting any type of challenge whatsoever to human controlled players.

Alienous

Huh...maps seem much bigger than I thought they would. Not really the box arena's like in CoD.

You are definitely going to get moments where at least 9 of the 12 possible Titans are on the field.

Watching the videos you get a sense of the maps being the right size.

iamjohn

Game looks like it's already running smooth. I love the pace of it but I'm not liking what I'm seeing with the Mechs. It looks like running on foot will be useless because of how powerful they are. Hopefully it'll be just as easy to take out the Mechs as it is to get killed by them. The games are gonna be nothing but a mech-fest if not.

swcpig

Banned
I watched about 4 videos last night and I didn't see the AI do anything that could be described as "actually getting shit done." I cannot disagree with anything else you said because it is hard to tell in the videos. I thought the game looked to run really smoothe, even in the videos. The speed was absolutely amazing.

But the AI? I saw them run in big groups, run out in the open, get shot without even responding or reacting to the shooter, no flanking, no taking cover or hiding. When they did shoot back, it seemed like they simply crouched, right where they were, even if right out in the open.

However, we do not know how the AI is going to work in the future, if there is some type of difficulty setting of some type, or some type of AI progression as you level up. I would love to hear more on that. Time will tell, still 2 months to go. It was just disappointing that the AI was actually talked up quite a bit, and when you see it in action at this stage, it was a huge disappointment.

I agree we wont know what they will do with them in the future but the poster is right - they actually do stuff. They definitely killed me for instance ;). On a pretty regular basis.

that said, they have very low health (spectres have more than grunts) and have limited action sets (aka hold this spot and just shoot). It does add to the chaos and using them as meat shields is useful.

Leaked images look bad? What the hell have I been playing all this time then. The game looks really good, hardly any jaggies, smooth as hell gameplay, and the ai actually get shit down, depending on the objectives on the map. As for the player count, your running into players to shoot all the time no matter if human, or AI. As for the resolution people, it don't look like 720p to me, and If it is, they are using a lot of AA and post processsing on the image.

Nah, the images are bad. There's no denying.

Raide

You are definitely going to get moments where at least 9 of the 12 possible Titans are on the field.

Watching the videos you get a sense of the maps being the right size.

The footage really shows the mobility of both the pilots and Titans. At least there seems to be plenty of stuff for both Titan and Pilot to actually do.

Game looks like it's already running smooth. I love the pace of it but I'm not liking what I'm seeing with the Mechs. It looks like running on foot will be useless because of how powerful they are. Hopefully it'll be just as easy to take out the Mechs as it is to get killed by them. The games are gonna be nothing but a mech-fest if not.

Looks like the Anti Mech Rocket you can carry is just for that, combatting mechs when you don't have one. I did see several humans kill a mech, the best strategy was shooting them while they were fighting another mech. Since they cannot take their attention away from it, and you can shoot at them from on top of buildings, or from inside buildings where you are protected.

swcpig

Banned

Mechs aren't that strong. I prefer to be on foot ;)

Its more mech v mech than pilot hunting when in a mech.. Much different than say bf4 where you can go peep hunting with abandon in a tank and good aim. Your titan will go down fast if you try to spot and kill super fast jumping pilots.

LTWheels

It's the AI suppose to be there to be like creep from dota?

In dota creep are generally not threatening; you kill them to get gold to buy items.

The way I see it work in Titanfall is that calling your Titan is the equivalent of your character's ultimate ability in dota. However, instead of killing creep and other players to farm for gold, you are killing them to reduce the cooldown of your ultimate ability.

iamjohn

Looks like the Anti Mech Rocket you can carry is just for that, combatting mechs when you don't have one. I did see several humans kill a mech, the best strategy was shooting them while they were fighting another mech. Since they cannot take their attention away from it, and you can shoot at them from on top of buildings, or from inside buildings where you are protected.

Good to hear. As long as they aren't like the BF4 tanks where it takes about 20 rockets to finally destroy them, I think this game will be very good.

Haines

Banned
Im excited for Titan Fall but I really wish they didnt build a version for 360 that will just hold the next gen version back. I think TF 2 will be the game that really makes the series shine.

I just hope it doesnt play too much like COD. A little is ok, but I cant stand the casual run and gun of cod, im more of a cs guy.

i just loved mech assault so much that this game has me drooling

swcpig

Banned
Nah, the images are bad. There's no denying.

dunno. Looks great on my Panasonic plasma - but only 720p tv here so who knows.

but going 100mph on a roller coaster you don't stop and check out the scenary - same principle here... Sooo fucking hectic. Not like bf or even halo when you can stop and look around. Even reloading comes at a risk.

antitrop

Im excited for Titan Fall but I really wish they didnt build a version for 360 that will just hold the next gen version back. I think TF 2 will be the game that really makes the series shine.

Respawn isn't developing the Xbox 360 version. They are designing the game around the PC and the Xbox One, and a third-party, handpicked developer is downgrading the game to fit on the 360 from there.

I wouldn't say that Battlefield 4 on next-gen consoles and PC are held back by the game existing on the 360, as well. The 360/PS3 versions just got downgraded to shit to be able to work on the limitations of the console, without holding back the "full" game. I expect similar for Titanfall.

Raide

Also, flanking a Titan and trying to rodeo it seems like a good plan if a few Pilots try to distract a Titan.

looks like CoD

this is what antitrop wanted

AI looking dumber than a pack of rocks, they seem to just be there for bad kids to get points and get their own mech and feel special

antitrop

looks like CoD

AI looking dumber than a pack of rocks, they seem to just be there for bad kids to get points and get their own mech and feel special

Call of Duty 4 is one of my favorite games of the last decade, so I've certainly never hid the fact that I wanted something that felt like Call of Duty, but with enough new ideas to feel like a logical progression.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
After watching the leaked alpha footage I can't help but feel the grunts/AI are put in the make scrubs feel like heros.

Still getting on PC though, because I'm a scrub when it comes to FPS's, so they might have actually found a hook that works for me haha :D

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
looks like CoD

even if thats the case, nothing wrong with that.

as others have mentioned, even as they are, it may create a meta game of trying to protect your teams grunts to limit the scoring opportunities for the enemy. and if not to protect, to act as a trap so that you can kill enemy players going after your grunts.

of course, this is alpha and not final, and its certainly possible the ai will react differently in the final game.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
of course, this is alpha and not final, and its certainly possible the ai will react differently in the final game.

NooOooOo... I want my no-skill-required fodder!

op_ivy

NooOooOo... I want my no-skill-required fodder!

i'm sure they will be fodder regardless - that is what they were claimed to be from the start, but it wouldnt be a bad thing if they posed at least a slight threat. for example, the video where the guy stumbles into a room and gets surrounded by loads of grunts and, even playing poorly, escapes unscathed... would be nice if they could at least pose a threat in a situation like that.

Dire

Has the trial changed anybody's opinion of the game one way or the other? Is there anybody who was luke warm on the game now excited for it, or anybody who was hyped now not looking quite as forward to it?

op_ivy

Aren't the AI players just meant for racking up points - and not a threat? Just like in dota?

apparently. and that seems fine to me.

has anyone seen anything other then stellar impressions from this? all i've seen/heard is that people playing in the alpha are loving it. would be curious to see some write ups that are a bit more critical and what elements they are unsure of.

Osiris

Has the trial changed anybody's opinion of the game one way or the other? Is there anybody who was luke warm on the game now excited for it, or anybody who was hyped now not looking quite as forward to it?

I've gone from lukewarm to more interested, but I'm gonna have to see some footage of what the performance and graphics are like on PC first, I'm not buying a new PC fps in 2014 if it looks graphically like one I could have played in 2012.

Maybe you could hide form Titans, maybe you can help draw them into open space for an ambush, maybe taking out a Titan is super satisfying. Maybe Titans have more to worry about than just other Titans. Maybe.......ahh I'm sure you get the point.

Tapiozona

Banned
I've gone from lukewarm to more interested, but I'm gonna have to see some footage of what the performance and graphics are like on PC first, I'm not buying a new PC fps in 2014 if it looks graphically like one I could have played in 2012.

Agreed, screw the game play. That's not what makes a game worth playing.

Osiris

Agreed, screw the game play. That's not what makes a game worth playing.

You seem to think that every game that has good gameplay is worth buying, I do not share that opinion.

There is a multitude of titles competing for my limited gaming budget, and I'll buy the ones that grab me on gameplay and graphics.

op_ivy

Maybe you could hide form Titans, maybe you can help draw them into open space for an ambush, maybe taking out a Titan is super satisfying. Maybe Titans have more to worry about than just other Titans. Maybe.......ahh I'm sure you get the point.

seems to me that titans will be more concerned with other titans rather then seeking out pilots and pilots would be better off avoiding engaging with titans (unless the enemy titan is battling another titan and you're able to sway the outcome). this is particularly so with the maps having so many indoor areas for them to hide in and peak out of. thats one of the nice things of what i've seen actually - the battle seems to occur on different levels with a good mix of pilot/titan exchanges as well.

seems to me that titans will be more concerned with other titans rather then seeking out pilots and pilots would be better off avoiding engaging with titans (unless the enemy titan is battling another titan and you're able to sway the outcome). this is particularly so with the maps having so many indoor areas for them to hide in and peak out of. thats one of the nice things of what i've seen actually - the battle seems to occur on different levels with a good mix of pilot/titan exchanges as well.

You might be right. Titan kills might be impressive and might turn a battle. But Titans might be slow and lack verticality so there might be a trade off. I can only imagine what happens when two Titans are engaged in a battle and a couple of pilots run up from behind or through a building and and start laying it on one of them. Teamwork could be a thing in this game.......maybe.......

op_ivy

You might be right. Titan kills might be impressive and might turn a battle. But Titans might be slow and lack verticality so there might be a trade off. I can only imagine what happens when two Titans are engaged in a battle and a couple of pilots run up from behind or through a building and and start laying it on one of them. Teamwork could be a thing in this game.......maybe.......

there is an 8 minute clip showing just that where a pilot fails to do much against a titan one-on-one, but respawns and finds that same titan against another titan and is now able to assist in taking it down. we've also seen, in trailers, how pilots can board enemy titans and take them down by firing into the "brains", so i imagine skilled pilots could probably pull this off against distracted titan fairly easily.

all in all, the game seems to focus on pilot vs pilot and titan vs titan but with enough exchanges between the two to make it interesting.

Doffen

I love going against Titans as a pilot. Small spaces with the ability to hide is key thou.

Raide

there is an 8 minute clip showing just that where a pilot fails to do much against a titan one-on-one, but respawns and finds that same titan against another titan and is now able to assist in taking it down. we've also seen, in trailers, how pilots can board enemy titans and take them down by firing into the "brains", so i imagine skilled pilots could probably pull this off against distracted titan fairly easily.

all in all, the game seems to focus on pilot vs pilot and titan vs titan but with enough exchanges between the two to make it interesting.

It certainly seems like a Cat and Mouse thing but if enough Mice get together, the Cat is doomed. :D

op_ivy

so excite.. wish this wasnt neutered visually and wasn't NDA blocked. i would love to see a flood of full matches. could go a long ways to generate even more hype as it seems its as fun as it looks and has been hyped to be all along

Well.......I've been to busy to look at videos..........So maybe I'm not the best one to tell you about scenarios in said video but I would say this. Maybe, even within this short period, as people have learned/explored the game, more subtle tactics have evolved and so a video from the first hours of playing may not represent the full depth of what's there.

so excite.. wish this wasnt neutered visually and wasn't NDA blocked. i would love to see a flood of full matches. could go a long ways to generate even more hype as it seems its as fun as it looks and has been hyped to be all along
yep
march 11 can't come soon enough

op_ivy

Well.......I've been to busy to look at videos..........So maybe I'm not the best one to tell you about scenarios in said video but I would say this. Maybe, even within this short period, as people have learned/explored the game, more subtle tactics have evolved and so a video from the first hours of playing may not represent the full depth of what's there.

of course not, that was kind of my point.

Top Bottom