• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Executive Order by Trump is Expected to Increase Drug Prices

Zolo

https://www.statnews.com/2017/06/16/white-house-drug-prices/

President Trump is expected to issue an executive order on drug pricing soon. A Kaiser Health News investigation reveals pharma's effort to influence that order.

According to the documents — the latest of which is dated June 1— the working group focused on the following ”principles" and ”talking points":

1. Extending the patent life of drugs in foreign markets to ”provide for protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights." This will ensure ”that American consumers do not unfairly subsidize research and development for people throughout the globe."

Extending monopoly protections for drugs overseas has been one of the pharmaceutical industry's top priorities since the Trans-Pacific Partnership was defeated last year.

That policy would push up global drug prices, according to Médecins Sans Frontières.

2. Promoting competition in the U.S. drug market — both by ”modernizing our regulatory and reimbursement systems" and limiting ”barrier to entry, including the cost of research and development," according to the documents.

The working group also discussed two broad policy ideas that have been championed by the pharmaceutical industry, according to sources familiar with the process:

3. Value-based pricing, when pharmaceutical companies keep the list prices of drugs unchanged but offer rebates if patients don't improve. It's unclear who would audit the effectiveness of the drugs, what criteria they would use to evaluate them and who would receive the rebates. Grogan invited Robert Shapiro — an adviser for Gilead and former secretary of Commerce under President Bill Clinton — to brief the working group on value-based pricing on May 18. Shapiro is the chairman and co-founder of Sonecon LLC, a Washington, D.C., firm that consulted with Gilead, Amgen and PhRMA, according to his curriculum vitae.

4. Grogan and Shapiro also discussed issuing 10-year U.S. Treasury bonds to drug manufacturers to pay for expensive, hepatitis C drugs like Sovaldi and Harvoni under Medicare and Medicaid, to avoid rationing drugs to the sickest patients. The 2015 Senate investigation, for example, found that though Medicaid spent more than $1 billion on Sovaldi, just 2.4 percent of Medicaid patients with hepatitis C were treated.

After the working group's first meeting on May 4, Grogan distributed detailed policy recommendations on expediting generic drug approvals, creating a new tax credit ”of up to 50 percent" for investments in generic drug manufacturing, distribution and research and development. The documents also propose scaling back the 340B program, which requires drug manufacturers to provide some medicines at a discount to hospitals that treat low-income patients.

Most of these policies would not ease patient costs, and at least one would increase prices, say experts who reviewed the documents at the request of Kaiser Health News.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
So analysts were wrong? I thought I saw news literally yesterday saying stock prices for drug companies dropped because the assumption was this would lower drug prices.

kirblar

So analysts were wrong? I thought I saw news literally yesterday saying stock prices for drug companies dropped because the assumption was this would lower drug prices.
Based on prior actions w/ the admin, it's probably best to wait till they have actual text, cause they float a lot of trial baloons. Some of which aren't real and are designed for them to say "SEE FAKE NEWS!"

Shoeless

yikes, people in the poor rural are especially fucked

Then it's a good thing the Republicans did it. If the Democrats did it, they'd be pretty upset about how this would hurt them. Since the Republicans did it, they'll find a way to twist it in their minds so this is a good thing that helps them... somehow... but more importantly sticks it to immigrants, visible minorities, non-Christians, etc.

That's some bullshit written by the drug companies.

They could ask why the same drugs are a fraction of the price in Europe - eg epipen - and find out they could have these prices too. but no. Let's worry about drug company profit margins.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Big pharma strikes again. And some people try to argue big industries don't buy politicians? how do you explain this?

devilhawk

That's some bullshit written by the drug companies.

They could ask why the same drugs are a fraction of the price in Europe - eg epipen - and find out they could have these prices too. but no. Let's worry about drug company profit margins.

Part of that is actually because the US subsidizes the costs of R&D/manufacturing/marketing/whatever for the rest of the world. Patents are just a part of the problem.

Without question, if the US went single payer or instituted a rule that X drug couldn't be sold for Y% more than it is elsewhere, it would be fucking destroy the health systems of other countries. Drug companies will not continue to sell drugs elsewhere for pennies if they can't continue to rip off the US consumer.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Extending the patent life of drugs in foreign markets to “provide for protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights.

This motherfucker.

Welp, looking forward to my country's healthcare system to go bankrupt any day if they decide to go with this.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Without question, if the US went single payer or instituted a rule that X drug couldn't be sold for Y% more than it is elsewhere, it would be fucking destroy the health systems of other countries. Drug companies will not continue to sell drugs elsewhere for pennies if they can't continue to rip off the US consumer.
They will adapt. They already make crazy amounts of profits as it is.

Based on prior actions w/ the admin, it's probably best to wait till they have actual text, cause they float a lot of trial baloons. Some of which aren't real and are designed for them to say "SEE FAKE NEWS!"

This has yet to actually happen. Pretty much any executive order that's leaked has come to pass in some form or another. This stuff is vetted much more than a lot of people assume

hawk2025

Lmao

This is basically keeping the part of the TPP that both-siders were so adamant on giving Trump shield on by saying "at least he's against the TPP!"

Y'all got played for fucking fools.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I remember when he said drug prices were too high
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

devilhawk

They will adapt. They already make crazy amounts of profits as it is.
You missed the point. Pharm will have to better distribute the cost across the world meaning no more cheap drugs for universal health care countries if the US cash cow disappears.

This shit isn't about epipens. It's about things like keytruda and opdivo.

I'm gonna lose all faith in this country if the dems don't absolutely wreck in the midterm elections.

Prepare to lose faith. Well, depending on what you define as wrecking. Taking back the House is very possible. Taking back the Senate is honestly going to be damn near impossible. The Senate map for 2018 is just straight up bad for the Democrats and would take a wave among waves to take back the Senate. Governor seats look pretty even though.

ExVicis

Can't have low approval ratings if their aren't any people to not give approval.

*Points at head*

Seriously though, is he trying to get people killed?

kirblar

This has yet to actually happen. Pretty much any executive order that's leaked has come to pass in some form or another. This stuff is vetted much more than a lot of people assume
Correct, but the actual contents are often far tamer now than the initial leaks. I'm not saying it won't be bad (it almost assuredly will be) but waiting to actually see text before reacting is a good idea.

Usobuko

Banned
When you believe you're the same caste but aren't.

Going to kill so many people indirectly. It's like some sort of psychopath wet dream legalized.

But hey, donny all about the ka-ching.

Vengrim

Value based pricing doesn't wrong so much as unseemly and uncaring. "Oh, were you counting on that drug saving your life? Here's a couple grand, so sorry."

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Buy your bitcoins now.

Oh wait it's legal drugs. Nevermind.

Anarion07

Are us parents enforceable outside of the us?

Thats what ive been Thinking about. The USPTO only Works in the US. Each Country has its own Patent Office and then we have the EPO for all of europe.

I dont see how they can increase patent life overseas.
The only thing that makes harder is importing certain drugs from other countries once Patent protection lapsed there

Bleepey

Part of that is actually because the US subsidizes the costs of R&D/manufacturing/marketing/whatever for the rest of the world. Patents are just a part of the problem.

I see this parroted over and over again but considering how much the US spends/wastes on admin they'd be doing themselves a favour going to single payer
http://www.commonwealthfund.org/pub...rature/2014/sep/hospital-administrative-costs

More money can be spent on healthcare then admin bullshit.

I'm gonna lose all faith in this country if the dems don't absolutely wreck in the midterm elections.

I lost a lot of faith in the electorate during the presidential and previous Senate elections.

So I don't have much at all to lose when midterms come up. But given the approval ratings that Trump has, and whatever further scandals crop up before then, maybe this just means we'll exceed my expectations?

Dryk

they don't hold the patent?
Patents in each country are bound by the patent law of that country. That's why cheap generics thrive everywhere else in the first place. They'd have to convince (read: leverage) government to change the patent laws to make their citizens pay more for drugs for no economic benefit.

Then it's a good thing the Republicans did it. If the Democrats did it, they'd be pretty upset about how this would hurt them. Since the Republicans did it, they'll find a way to twist it in their minds so this is a good thing that helps them... somehow... but more importantly sticks it to immigrants, visible minorities, non-Christians, etc.
They'll blame dems anyway. It's always the dems bro.

Top Bottom