• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Existing Singstar discs to no longer work online - Oct 2014?

Seems I missed this little bit of news back in July

But apparently Singstar are updating their servers new month and it will stop any existing discs being playable online against other people. This is a bit of a kick in the nuts for me as I like to play against friends with the same songs/discs.

If knowing that the discs wouldn't work on the PS4 wasn't bad enough I now find out that I can hardly use them to their full use on the PS3 anymore either!

https://www.singstar.com/news/Server-Update.html

We have now scheduled some essential work on our servers for October 2014, resulting in a few changes which we've outlined below.

Once the work has been completed, SingStar discs will not be able to connect to our servers anymore. You can still play all your songs (both those on the disc and your downloads) via the discs, but will not be able to connect online.

Moosichu

Seems I missed this little bit of news back in July

But apparently Singstar are updating their servers new month and it will stop any existing discs being playable online against other people. This is a bit of a kick in the nuts for me as I like to play against friends with the same songs/discs.

If knowing that the discs wouldn't work on the PS4 wasn't bad enough I now find out that I can hardly use them to their full use on the PS3 anymore either!

https://www.singstar.com/news/Server-Update.html

Whaaaaaat :( When was this confirmed. So discswapping won't work with the new singstar on PS4? :(

Whaaaaaat :( When was this confirmed. So discswapping won't work with the new singstar on PS4? :(

Yeah they've openly come out and mentioned that PS3/2 discs will not work on PS4 and only the songs that are available in the new store will be downloadable if you've previously bought them. If you have bought ones that are no longer available, then tough.

I had planned on keeping the PS3 as a Singstar machine but the lack of discs working online means I might as well not bother. This is new news to me and something I hadn't seen them ever mention in blog posts on the PlayStation site itself.

Percy

Banned
What a load. Used to have fun with these games way back.

Shutting it down when last gen isn't even cold in it's grave yet.

Yeah they've openly come out and mentioned that PS3/2 discs will not work on PS4 and only the songs that are available in the new store will be downloadable if you've previously bought them. If you have bought ones that are no longer available, then tough.

This sounds like bullshit on their part to me.

When the PS4 first came out and they were running that "digital upgrade" program for PS4 versions of PS3 disc based games, you still had to use the PS3 discs in the PS4 in order to play the downloaded PS4 versions didn't you? Clearly the console is capable of at least reading PS3 discs, shouldn't that be enough? I recall they were able to do something similar with PS2 Singstar discs still being readable on PS3 (even the non-BC ones) and allowing you to play the old songs on the PS3 version of the game. My memory of the exact details there could be fuzzy though, I'll admit.

What a load. Used to have fun with these games way back.

Shutting it down when last gen isn't even cold in it's grave yet.

This sounds like bullshit on their part to me.

When the PS4 first came out and they were running that "digital upgrade" program for PS4 versions of PS3 disc based games, you still had to use the PS3 discs in the PS4 in order to play the downloaded PS4 versions didn't you? Clearly the console is capable of at least reading PS3 discs, shouldn't that be enough? I recall they were able to do something similar with PS2 Singstar discs still being readable on PS3 (even the non-BC ones) and allowing you to play the old songs on the PS3 version of the game. My memory of the exact details there could be fuzzy though, I'll admit.

It's total bullshit as you say, the PS4 can at least recognise the PS3 disc as proven by the digital upgrade situation with COD etc.

Yes the PS3 can play the PS2 discs, you launch the game with a PS3 disc/XMB app and then press select to eject the disc and put in the PS2 one.

Now assuming that the new app on the PS3 is allowing users to still play their discs (but not online) that to me says that the PS4 app should at least allow the same thing! Seems like they are really trying to push to a digital future, but cutting off the old versions like this isn't a nice way to go about it.

Just got confirmation of this from the Facebook page. Had asked previously and they always seemed to avoid answering the question.

Screenshot2014100112.png

I guess that's the main issue with games with numerous and high licensing costs :(

But why if you've already bought songs via the store can you still use those?

I assumed it was a case of them bringing a central Singstar server along, but I also asked if PS4 could play against PS3 and that's not possible either.

Grizzo

But why if you've already bought songs via the store can you still use those?

I assumed it was a case of them bringing a central Singstar server along, but I also asked if PS4 could play against PS3 and that's not possible either.

Yeah, what's really bothering me is that there's still no SingStar on PS4.

I'm a huge fan of this series (bought like all the 18 versions of the PS2 games, be it R&B, Rock Ballads, Anthems, etc) and a PS4 version could make me get one. Wasted opportunity.

Yeah, what's really bothering me is that there's still no SingStar on PS4.

I'm a huge fan of this series (bought like all the 18 versions of the PS2 games, be it R&B, Rock Ballads, Anthems, etc) and a PS4 version could make me get one. Wasted opportunity.

It's coming to the PS4 on the 24th October. I've already preordered it on Amazon.

Quick recap on functions

Mobile app being released to use if you don't already have microphones (IOS/Android)

Cannot use PS3 disc swap like you could with the PS3 to PS2 discs.

Not all downloaded songs will be available in the PS4 store, but those that are which have already been purchased will be available for free.

Grizzo

It's coming to the PS4 on the 24th October. I've already preordered it on Amazon.

Quick recap on functions

Mobile app being released to use if you don't already have microphones (IOS/Android)

Cannot use PS3 disc swap like you could with the PS3 to PS2 discs.

Not all downloaded songs will be available in the PS4 store, but those that are which have already been purchased will be available for free.

Haaaa! I didn't even know that! Goes to show that I need to keep up with what's going on in the gaming world outside of Nintendo, haha. Thanks for the heads-up!

Top Bottom