• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eyetoy Love Thread

M3wThr33

Banned
I love my EyeToy. It has provided me with a lot of fun.
I have:
Play, Groove, AntiGrav, Get on Da Mic (HA!), Sega Superstars and DDR Extreme.

However at my new apartment it doesn't work so well. What tips do you have to make it detect better, especially with AntiGrav?
I've considered hanging a white sheet up behind the couch.

M3wThr33

Banned
Yeah. Kinetica comes with one. I would have purchased a lot of EyeToy games, but so many come with the EyeToy bundled. It took me forever to get AntiGrav without it. Even GameStop sells the game with the EyeToy.

Of course, the Kinetica EyeToy also has a Wide-Angle lens that goes on it.

I love Eyetoy!
And honestly, I didn't think that I would.
I bought it with Eyetoy Kinetic, which is really great as an exercise "game". I got it at Best Buy for only $25 and considering it came with an Eyetoy I thought it was a steal.
My wife purchased me Eyetoy Groove as a family type game and I honestly thought it was going to really suck. Boy was I wrong! Dancing in front of the Eyetoy and playing the dance games are really fun!

As for the quality of image, I'm not sure if I don't have it setup right or not but it's not very sharp. Maybe like a good webcam image is what I'd describe it as, but it's totally okay with me.

What about that upcoming Eyetoy game where you help out a couple of spies or something? That seems fairly interesting. And I'm also really looking forward to what Eyetoy 2 on the PS3 will be able to do!

mrkgoo

M3wThr33 said:
Yeah. Kinetica comes with one. I would have purchased a lot of EyeToy games, but so many come with the EyeToy bundled. It took me forever to get AntiGrav without it. Even GameStop sells the game with the EyeToy.

I think the game alone also has the wide angle lens.

Just to be mister downer, it seems to me the eye toy needs optimal condition to work well - lighting, background colour, etc...and my place doesn't most of the time. I'm sure it's fantastic when you have optimal conditions.

One thing stands out for me - it is possible to make a console Ouendan with this technology.

M3wThr33 said:

Is this game out in Canada yet?

PkunkFury

I have the eyetoy with Antigrav and I like it a lot more than I thought I would, but I never bought any of the other games since they seemed kind of shallow or mini-gamish in the adds. However I'm seeing a lot of love for Groove in this thread, is it worth picking up? I'd really like some more eyetoy games. The Kinetica game sounds intriguing too.

Also how is the Sega game?

RuGalz

Eyetoy seems to work better in good lighting environment. If you can't get the entire room lit well, second best option I found is to have light source directly behind you so there's a big contrast between you and the background to the camera.

Uh.. I've only played Kinetic. It's not really a game, but a workout assistant.. but damn it was pretty well done despite no game be, and the exercises worked very well. Wish I still had it.

Yep.

I want more games like Antigrav, and less gimmicky "I'm in the game" crap like Play and Groove. Not that those are bad, but I'm neither a narcissist or camwhore - so I'd rather have interesting visuals and fun game play.

I hope the Eyetoy 2 does come to fruition and we get more cool stuff like Antigrav. Never before did I think the fun of Top Skater could be done in my living room without a big dumb peripheral. Eyetoy proved me wrong.

PkunkFury

aerofx said:
You guys have any problems with latency or commands not registering?

To avoid latency/detection issues, good lighting is a must. Also, be sure your head and arms do not blend in with the rest of your body in anyway. I wear a black shirt whenever I play antigrav, and my gf (who is black) always wears a white shirt. We found that if we didn't dress appropriately, the game had trouble registering "jump" and would often get stuck on "duck"

The Take Out Bandit said:
I want more games like Antigrav, and less gimmicky "I'm in the game" crap like Play and Groove. Not that those are bad, but I'm neither a narcissist or camwhore - so I'd rather have interesting visuals and fun game play.

I agree with this. The main reason I own antigrav, yet neve picked up Groove or the like was because they seem to have no visuals aside from the image of myself jumping around my living room like a doofus. It's funny for spectators to watch me flail my arms around, but please let me see an avatar and some fun bright colors or something. Plus, it may just be my setup, but the camera image is so terribly low rez, it begs for some extra visuals to spice up the picture

Kinetic is pretty awesome. I love doing pad work, but I don't always have someone around to help me with that, so this is a fun replacement. Sucks about the lighting problems I have though. My movement sometimes doesn't register so I feel like a fool when I'm throwing hard punches and it misses. Having non-fluorescent lighting and wearing socks for gloves makes the response perfect, for me.

When I was looking for the stand-alone game on ebay, I came across someone selling special gloves for Eye-toy games. They were just Michael Jackson type gloves with little mirrors and sequences. :lol

aerofx

PkunkFury said:
To avoid latency/detection issues, good lighting is a must. Also, be sure your head and arms do not blend in with the rest of your body in anyway. I wear a black shirt whenever I play antigrav, and my gf (who is black) always wears a white shirt. We found that if we didn't dress appropriately, the game had trouble registering "jump" and would often get stuck on "duck"

I agree with this. The main reason I own antigrav, yet neve picked up Groove or the like was because they seem to have no visuals aside from the image of myself jumping around my living room like a doofus. It's funny for spectators to watch me flail my arms around, but please let me see an avatar and some fun bright colors or something. Plus, it may just be my setup, but the camera image is so terribly low rez, it begs for some extra visuals to spice up the picture

Hmm I tried it with some good lighting.. there always seems to be a little bit of lag, feels weird. I think I'll wait until the next Eyetoy..

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I use eyetoy as my all purpose hidden camera. Didn't get much use out of it for gaming, although I tried. Now I just cover the red/blue light w/ some GAF tape and hope 'they' don't see it.

NME

M3wThr33 said:

Does the version without the camera cost less than $50 (or did they when they were new)?

I have Antigrav, which is not as responsive as it should be, particularly when jumping. The concept is solid enough, it's just not executed as well as it could have been.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I got Antigrav yesterday and I like it. I have to move some lighting around the room to play it properly but it responds pretty well to me. Not many tracks though and it seems the novelty will wear out pretty quickly but it's worth the ~$20 I paid at Gamecrazy.

If you have problems with the lighting, go to the settings and try changing the options to "dim room". For some reason it doesn't save my settings but it works for me with minimal lighting

Top Bottom