• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ezra Driesbach (of famed Sega Saturn developer; Lobotomy Software) Interview

I imagine most Gaffers might not recognise the nane Ezra Driesbach, or indeed Lobotomy Software, so here is the context: Over two generations ago, the Sony Playstation had already set up its place as market leader, and the sales of the Saturn were slowly dropping. Despite third-parties bailing out, the Saturn had a group of elite, exceptional titles that mastered the tricky hardware to make magic.

Most of these titles were of Japan, but some gold came from the west: Lobotomy Software, an American developer, released Exhumed (EU)/Powerslave (US), a wonderful first-person adventure with inventive weapons, a non-linear overworld, innovative level-design ahead of many of its peers, all wrapped in an Ancient Egypt-mythos. As well as being engaging and challenging, the game also was a techical marvel, boasting a number of effects that most Saturn developers simply dismissed: real-time coloured light sources; transparencies; streaming levels. The game was released to rave reviews.

The release impressed industry figures and earned Lobotomy the rights to port Quake and Duke Nukem 3D to the system. Though mocked as being impossible at the time (the Playstation to this day still doesn't have a version of Quake), Lobotomy not only matched expectations but exceeded them. The Saturn ports of these games would include effects not present in the PC original (more real-time coloured lighting, from torches to moving projectiles; and transparency application). The titles were released to more high acclaim, massively outscoring in reviews their Playstation and N64 counterparts.

In contrast, a sampling of other Saturn developers feeble efforts of the time, courtesy of Mr Gertsmann.

Unfortunately, Lobotomy broke up shortly after Duke and Quake were released, though many Saturn fans are grateful that they left us a parting gift that would live on through the ages. Its been a decade since this drama, and I've always wanted to know more about the contexts and details. Eurogamer has just put up a new interview with the developer, which reveals some remarkable insight.

(Interestingly, the interviewer (and semi-regular Eurogamer writer) is a man called Richard Leadbetter, who over a decade ago was Chief Editor of the Official Sega Saturn Magazine, a damn fine publication that went above-and-beyond in championing the Saturn's good games when Sega's marketing and planning was worse than useless. It gives the interview more significance, I think.)

Eurogamer: Saturn versus PlayStation, let's put this to rest once and for all. You helped oversee two of the most technically accomplished games on those systems, so lay it out for us, which machine did you prefer from a technical perspective and why? What were the most rewarding and annoying aspects of both systems?

Ezra Driesbach: I didn't exactly oversee anything. Jeff Blazier programmed the entirety of Lobotomy's PlayStation output. But it's not hard to tell the PlayStation is better.

The Saturn was really an insane abortion. The graphics hardware was made by guys that obviously wanted to just keep developing 2D hardware and tried to avoid learning anything about 3D. So they made this thing that was totally different from what everyone else in the 3D community was doing and missed some real key ideas, making some things (clipping) impossible.

And then the rest of the system had a whole other batch of warts caused (according to the internet) by a hasty pre-launch upgrade to match the PlayStation. They threw a whole bunch more parts in the box, and none of them worked out that great. The second processor in particular made it both more difficult to program, and impossible to fully utilise.

This probably ultimately doomed the Saturn. With so much different crap jammed in the box, it never got cheap for them to produce it.

Eurogamer: The challenge of getting maximum performance from Saturn always seemed to be linked with exploiting that dual-CPU set-up. How do the challenges of the '90s relate to working with parallelisation needed to get the most out of today's platforms?

Ezra Driesbach: It's the same kind of deal, but on the Saturn you needed to use all the processing power available in order to get decent graphics performance. Today, there's plenty of easily programmable processing attached directly to the graphics hardware. So you don't need to struggle to use every resource to maximise graphics performance. You can, for example, make a perfectly good PS3 game while completely ignoring the SPUs. There are probably lots of peripheral tricks you can do, but it's not central anymore.

Eurogamer: Now that it's ancient history, can you tell us anything about the first Saturn versions of Duke Nukem 3D and Quake that were in development before Lobotomy took over? Were they really that bad? How did Lobotomy come to land the conversion work?

Ezra Driesbach: We never saw them. At the start of that project we got the source code to the PC games and that's it. Those other guys were probably trying to port the PC source code to the Saturn, which I'm pretty sure is impossible. What Lobotomy did is take Powerslave and port the content of those games into it. We had to cut up the PC games' art to fit, rebuild the levels, and program new AI to run all the stuff in them.

I wasn't involved in how we got the contract. We probably got it because Powerslave was good for a Saturn FPS, and also because we underbid it. The ports contract turned out to be suicidal. Even while shipping both at reasonable speed, Lobotomy was unable to make payroll completely. This is because, straight ports being impossible, we had to almost rebuild each game. The immense effect required for this versus what we were paid for the "ports" is probably what sunk us.

I found this interview to be a fascinating insight into a different era. Modding their own game to release Duke and Quake to the system sounds an inventive, if time-hungry process. It's interesting that he compares the Saturn's complex multi-cpu programming difficulties with those of the Playstation 3. I was also unaware that other developers had attempted to port the two games before Lobotomy applied their approach.

Note - later ports of Exhumed/Powerslave to the Playstation and PC would, in my opinion, greatly dumb down the experience. If you played these versions and wonder why they don't match my positive description, well, there were some quite substantial changes.

Lobotomy was one of the best and brightest developers working on the Saturn. Sega really should have taken not of what they were accomplishing and moved them to DC development.

Powerslave was a pretty good start for them.

WOW, thanks for providing this information. Lobotomy were Gods in te Saturn era and I have ALL thier Saturn efforts. It's awesome that this interview came out around the same time as the re-release of Death Tank.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Mama Robotnik said:
I found this interview to be a fascinating insight into a different era. Modding their own game to release Duke and Quake to the system sounds an inventive, if time-hungry process. It's interesting that he compares the Saturn's complex multi-cpu programming difficulties with those of the Playstation 3. I was also unaware that other developers had attempted to port the two games before Lobotomy applied their approach.

Note - later ports of Exhumed/Powerslave to the Playstation and PC would, in my opinion, greatly dumb down the experience. If you played these versions and wonder why they don't match my positive description, well, there were some quite substantial changes.

very intresting read thx

Boerseun said:
I have Duke Nukem 3D and Exhumed for PAL Saturn. This interview makes me want to get my hands on Saturn Quake.

exhumed was such a good game - i liked the level design, that you had to visit old levels with your new powers was fun to me...and i keep asking myself when a new one will apear

jvm said:
Back in the day I did a similar interview. I believe it's been posted on here before.

http://curmudgeongamer.com/article.php?story=20021008212903265

Covers some similar territory, at least from the quote Mama R pasted.

By a strange coincidence, I'd just found this interview myself and was about to post it here.

I'm not sure if anyone on GAF has been beaten in posting a six year old article. A very interesting interview nonetheless.

Matt: How did you feel about the two platforms, Saturn and PSX?

Ezra: I did do some work on the PSX later. After Saturn Quake was done I did a quick port of it to the PSX. Lobotomy was really hurting for cash at that point, and I hoped that we could get some publisher to sign us up to do PSX Quake. But for some reason, we couldn't get anyone to go for it. Lobotomy folded soon after.

Matt: A PSX port of Quake? That's terribly interesting! I've wanted a version of Quake on the PSX so I could compare versions on all three of the consoles from that "generation". If you've the inclination, I'd truly like to hear how the port turned out on the PSX hardware, compared to the Saturn and (if you've seen it) the N64 version.

Ezra: The most striking thing about the PSX port was how much faster the graphics hardware was than the Saturn. The initial scene after you just start the game is pretty complex. I think it ran 20 fps on the Saturn version. On the PSX it ran 30,but the actual rendering part could have been going 60 if the CPU calculations weren't holding it up. I don't know if it would have ever been possible to get it to really run 60, but at least there was the potential.

Other than that, it would have looked identical to the Saturn version. Except for some reason the PSX video output has better color than the Saturn's.

So I know something about the PSX. And really, if you couldn't tell from the games, the PSX is way better than the Saturn. It's way simpler and way faster. There are a lot of things about the Saturn that are totally dumb. Chief among these is that you can't draw triangles, only quadrilaterals.

Its very interesting to learn that Quake was in the early stages for the Playstation. Oh, and...

Matt: Any plans for a Death Tank Drei hidden in any of your games?

Ezra: No. I would like to make a stand-alone DT game someday though.

We're in the future.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Powerslave holds up remarkably well.

Saturn version, btw. PS1 version never felt nearly as good.

Top Bottom