• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook bug exposed millions of people's private photos

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
ZVAKt53.png

Facebook. Data breaches. I’m no media analyst, but it is clear there is an issue at this point since these three words have recently been appearing at the same time. The newest development to the string of privacy scandals: Business Insider discusses Facebook's discovery of a photo software bug that left millions of accounts vulnerable to private photo exposition, including some apps. More below:

Facebook said on Friday in a developer-focused blog post that it had discovered a nasty bug in its photo software.

The bug allowed authorized app programmers to access photos that people had uploaded to Facebook but not publicly shared, as well as those posted on Facebook's Marketplace software or Facebook Stories, the post said.

The bug may have affected as many as 6.8 million users, 1,500 apps, and 876 app developers, Facebook said, but users had to give the apps authorization to "access the photos API." It said the bug was active for 12 days in September.

"We're sorry this happened," Facebook said in a statement.

If you've been affected by the latest photo bug, you'll see an alert on Facebook, the company said in a statement.

"We are also recommending people log into any apps with which they have shared their Facebook photos to check which photos they have access to," the post said.

Will we see a continued decrease of Facebook use by the data-conscious population? Or will we continue to face the consequences of the faulty software?

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Zuck can never be fired or removed as CEO.

It's always gonna be like this.

Straight up the worst thing about Facebook right now.

Their PR would arguably be much better if he and Sheryl Sandberg had stepped down/been removed, and the shareholders wouldn't be waving money over their heads to fix their mess. So, so pathetic.

Ichabod

Banned
I have nothing of importance on mine but it sucks for people who constantly post everything about their lives.

God Enel

It’s disgusting how these big corps can do whatever they want with our data and everyone is giving it to them so easily (I’m doing it myself more or less). And in the end no one gives a shit. I think there have to be drastic changes in the system regarding data privacy and breaches like that.

Solis

Neophyte
Not overly bothered, as my account has little to nothing when it comes to my personal life. I only use it to keep in touch with friends/family I have scattered across the globe - otherwise I would have deleted years ago.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’m just going to cancel mine today. I haven’t posted on it in a long time and they keep getting hit with this stuff.

EssKayZee

I don't know, I have always thought that the emergence of social media has changed our lives for the worse right from the beginning. Even now, people keep on sharing their lives right there for everyone to see.

Remember when people used to visit their friends and families on special occassions? Remember when we used to visit someone when they got ill? Yeah, now just like a post, write a message and that's it. Social media is the very anti-thesis of being social.

And no, people will never be not addicted to Facebook, Twitter and other forms of social media. Masses will just bury their head in the sand like an ostrich and when the storm is over, carry on like nothing ever happened.

Oh I almost forgot, bye bye my facebook account. It was never nice knowing you.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
I don't know, I have always thought that the emergence of social media has changed our lives for the worse right from the beginning. Even now, people keep on sharing their lives right there for everyone to see.

Remember when people used to visit their friends and families on special occassions? Remember when we used to visit someone when they got ill? Yeah, now just like a post, write a message and that's it. Social media is the very anti-thesis of being social.

And no, people will never be not addicted to Facebook, Twitter and other forms of social media. Masses will just bury their head in the sand like an ostrich and when the storm is over, carry on like nothing ever happened.

Oh I almost forgot, bye bye my facebook account. It was never nice knowing you.

I tried this once, this past summer. A friend of mine (I was in college, mind you) was apparently not at his best: issues with his girl, house drama, etc.) so I took the 45-minute walk up to visit. Truly one of the most underrated things ever. I know in the Bible, this is a recurring ideal and it really has its merits.

In any case, self-control in media in the United States is a lost cause. Gave up trying to convince people with facts that one of these days, some random shmuck from Zhongguo (China) is going to have their life on a flash drive, if not already. It's valuable, otherwise why would they bother mining for it. Whatever, I guess.

EssKayZee

I tried this once, this past summer. A friend of mine (I was in college, mind you) was apparently not at his best: issues with his girl, house drama, etc.) so I took the 45-minute walk up to visit. Truly one of the most underrated things ever. I know in the Bible, this is a recurring ideal and it really has its merits.

In any case, self-control in media in the United States is a lost cause. Gave up trying to convince people with facts that one of these days, some random shmuck from Zhongguo (China) is going to have their life on a flash drive, if not already. It's valuable, otherwise why would they bother mining for it. Whatever, I guess.
Yes I can relate to that. A few years ago, I fell out of contact of my family and friends. At first, it didn't feel much different. It was not until I reconnected with the people that mattered that I realized the value of relationships. That feelong can never be replicated through any form of media.

You cannot convince people about anything right these days. Sure there will be a few like minded people that will agree with you, but the masses will never change. They're still living in the 90's. They just don't care about their own privacy. Nor they see the need to adapt to the changing world.

This is why I never used social media - I'm not putting my entire life out there for anyone to see if, say, some employee gets angry and decides to screw over the company. Or they leave accidental backdoors all over their system.

I never understood taking/sending dirty pics either. It just seems weird to me :/

On that note, when I was in college, my normal cell phone stopped charging, so while I saved for a smartphone I used my grandmother's old Nokia phone, which was not photo-capable. I was in a project group at the time. One day, right before we were supposed to meet, I got three texts with no message from this girl who was in the group. I thought that was odd, but figured she was just texting about the meeting and messed up. About five minutes later she texts me "OMG I'm so sorry those weren't meant for you", or something along those lines. I assume she accidentally texted me nudes or something, although I don't have definitive proof beyond her behavior. When we met up I showed her my phone so she'd know I didn't actually get anything, but she was still apologetic and awkward.

Why put yourself in that sort of situation in the first place, though, where a couple errant taps or button presses can lead to embarrassment.

Last edited:

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Yes I can relate to that. A few years ago, I fell out of contact of my family and friends. At first, it didn't feel much different. It was not until I reconnected with the people that mattered that I realized the value of relationships. That feelong can never be replicated through any form of media.

You cannot convince people about anything right these days. Sure there will be a few like minded people that will agree with you, but the masses will never change. They're still living in the 90's. They just don't care about their own privacy. Nor they see the need to adapt to the changing world.

For one thing, if a CEO can call his patrons "dumb fucks" so early on, you're right.

TFGB

Why put yourself in that sort of situation in the first place, though, where a couple errant taps or button presses can lead to embarrassment.
My other half accidentally sent my mum a text message a few years back saying that he thought Jessica Fletcher was a cunt.

We still laugh about it.

Vlightray

Bug? Lol im sure they can leak or see most people's private stuff all the time at Facebook headquarters. The Police and governments all work with Facebook aiding with solving crimes etc.

Last edited:
I only send funny pics and memes back and forth with a few friends, so not much to be worried about for me.

Personally I stick around with Facebook mainly for groups, some for hobbies and other for gig opportunities.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah but where is the link to the photo dump?

I want a zip file of all of that.
If a zip file comes out, tell me.

I'll look through the link too, and I'll tell you which of the gazillion files are mine, and you can stare at all my pictures since 2009. It's not pretty. I've gained probably 20 lbs, have some grey hairs, and the turkey my mom cooks on holidays look dry as a bone.

My life is ruined.

Last edited:

LordPezix

If a zip file comes out, tell me.

I'll look through the link too, and I'll tell you which of the gazillion files are mine, and you can stare at all my pictures since 2009. It's not pretty. I've gained probably 20 lbs, have some grey hairs, and the turkey my mom cooks on holidays look dry as a bone.

My life is ruined.

Are you and your assets worth over 10 million dollars?

Dark Star

i deleted all my old/personal pics like 2 years ago.
i knew something like this would happen, eventually.

all i have on my account/profile are concert photos and soundcloud/youtube links lol.
facebook sucks, nobody uses it anymore (if you're under the age of 30).
best sticking to twitter/IG ... but those are going downhill fast.

lil puff

It’s disgusting how these big corps can do whatever they want with our data and everyone is giving it to them so easily (I’m doing it myself more or less). And in the end no one gives a shit. I think there have to be drastic changes in the system regarding data privacy and breaches like that.
100% agree. No checks and balances on this shit, so I stay the H away.

However it's hard to avoid Google.

God Enel

100% agree. No checks and balances on this shit, so I stay the H away.

However it's hard to avoid Google.

It’s actually impossible imho. Some services they provide are really good imho. My mail is on google I use the search engine (even though on my phone I’m on DuckDuckGo and it’s inferior) I’m on gmail and I’m using maps.
But Facebook/Twitter/instagram/career sites like xing and so on I’m avoiding as much as I can. Never had an account. I’m using WhatsApp though and I’m gonna delete it when ads start to appear there (hears next year it’s gonna start) but everyone here in Europe uses it. Well some friends less to talk to.

lil puff

It’s actually impossible imho. Some services they provide are really good imho. My mail is on google I use the search engine (even though on my phone I’m on DuckDuckGo and it’s inferior) I’m on gmail and I’m using maps.
But Facebook/Twitter/instagram/career sites like xing and so on I’m avoiding as much as I can. Never had an account. I’m using WhatsApp though and I’m gonna delete it when ads start to appear there (hears next year it’s gonna start) but everyone here in Europe uses it. Well some friends less to talk to.
I have been using the IXQuick search engine, it's pretty decent. It's supposedly private, whatever that means nowadays.

What is scary is that somehow on my phone Google already has me logged into their services, and I don't recall ever entering any data. They are brutal.

Top Bottom