• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook develops tech to identify you in pictures even without your face

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

The days of being able to cover your face to prevent you from being ID'd is fast coming to an end:

An experimental algorithm out of Facebook's artificial intelligence lab can recognise people in photographs even when it can't see their faces. Instead it looks for other unique characteristics like your hairdo, clothing, body shape and pose.

The research team pulled almost 40,000 public photos from Flickr - some of people with their full face clearly visible, and others where they were turned away - and ran them through a sophisticated neural network.

The final algorithm was able to recognise individual people's identities with 83 per cent accuracy. It was presented earlier this month at the Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition conference in Boston, Massachusetts.

Source.

I don't know about you, but it kind of creeps me out that we've entered the point where it's impossible to hide your identity if you're on camera. We've really begun peeling privacy totally away at this point.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
corporations have slowly been peeling away privacy for years now and everyone has been taking no notice

Patryn

corporations have slowly been peeling away privacy for years now and everyone has been taking no notice

The question is who is ahead in this game: Governments or corporations?

More distressingly, imagine this tech in the hands of a tyrannical government. It's becoming easier and easier to just track your populace.

The question is who is ahead in this game: Governments or corporations?

More distressingly, imagine this tech in the hands of a tyrannical government. It's becoming easier and easier to just track your populace.

Corporations. Recently the Verge ran an article about how Facebook's facial recognition system is leagues above the US govts.

Kaladin

We can finally find out who this guy really was:

2530%20-%20mr._america%20smackdown%20wwe.png

is this response trying to be edgy or did you not notice all of the articles about the NSA, snowden leaks, or facebook's ever-changing privacy policies? its not that no one has noticed, its that no one really cares because it hasn't affected them in any meaningful way (yet?)

Salamando

If they ever develop tech to identify someone based on their avatar of choice, we're all screwed.

Avatars? Facebook'll just download your post history and identify you based off word choice, sentence structure, and whatever personal details you've mentioned.

I remember the days when internet companies told you to not share your name with strangers, now they want you to share your basic information with everyone

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I remember the days when internet companies told you to not share your name with strangers, now they want you to share your basic information with everyone

That's because no one followed those rules to begin with.

Also, its pretty much assured that your personal info has already been compromised considering all of the high profile hacks of the past 10 years, so a legitimate business that has your info is the least of your worries...

That's really cool!

I wonder how much overhead Facebook has to run experiments like this. I mean, their servers are already overloaded with delivering millions of photos every second, so I can only imagine how much worse things get by adding neural networks for recognition tech on top.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Facebook has designed an AI that can only predict identity with the same percentage of accuracy as my knowledge of math on my first Grade 8 maths test?

This technology is dumb and it should feel dumb.

Patryn

That's really cool!

I wonder how much overhead Facebook has to run experiments like this. I mean, their servers are already overloaded with delivering millions of photos every second, so I can only imagine how much worse things get by adding neural networks for recognition tech on top.

This is core to their experience.

Facebook is VERY interested in cataloging every person and what activities they are partaking in.

Remember, if you're not paying for things, you're the product. The more Facebook can know about people, the better they can sell you to their actual customers: the advertising companies.

I wouldn't be shocked if they have the tech to analyze products in pictures. Like, looking at if you're in a lot of pictures drinking beers or something, so they better know the types of products to sell to you.

Facebook has designed an AI that can only predict identity with the same percentage of accuracy as my knowledge of math on my first Grade 8 maths test?

This technology is dumb and it should feel dumb.

You're reacting as if this tech is child's play. This is incredibly advanced. At 83 percent, that means that they will correctly identify you in more than 4 out of 5 pictures.

And give it a few years to improve.

This is core to their experience.

Facebook is VERY interested in cataloging every person and what activities they are partaking in.

Remember, if you're not paying for things, you're the product. The more Facebook can know about people, the better they can sell you to their actual customers: the advertising companies.

I wouldn't be shocked if they have the tech to analyze products in pictures. Like, looking at if you're in a lot of pictures drinking beers or something, so they better know the types of products to sell to you.

Yeah, that's a good point. And it goes both ways. They see you use a lot of X, so they'll try to sell you more X, but they'll also be able to tell the makers of X that their customers are doing/using A, B and C.

Personally, that makes me happy. I get so bored from commercials trying to sell me on a product I can't or wouldn't ever use, yet appreciate being properly advertised to. Hell, we make an event out of E3 which is basically just a big ol' custom-tailored advertisement. So stuff like this is certainly making the world a better place.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
You're reacting as if this tech is child's play. This is incredibly advanced. At 83 percent, that means that they will correctly identify you in more than 4 out of 5 pictures.

And give it a few years to improve.

When the algorithm can identify people on a scale of 1 to 10 of how bangable they are, that's when I admit that humans are no longer relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom