• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook has acquired Oculus VR for 2 Billion US Dollars

Penguin

I think this could be an interesting development.

Especially for expanding the use of Oculus beyond gaming

WE shall see.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Before this, their agenda was a single focus. The goal of immersive VR was all that was on the table.

Now I feel like if Facebook feels like it, they could just easily disappear. They're part of a much bigger agenda now, but a small, non-core part.

Not to mention there could be the usual post-acquisition departures in 18-24 months.

Kyuur

I mean, I think people are overreacting at this a little bit.

But man did this ever come out of left field. No one saw this coming.

Jomjom

Banned
Would be cool though if the idea of working for Mark Zuckerberg disgusts John Carmack so much that he joins Sony to work on the Morpheus.

Saty

redroad-frusb7ufw.gif

Anon67

This is great IMO since now, there is actually a huge company with money backing this incredible technology. I'd expect things to be rolling much quicker now. We might see the OR sooner than expected.

Grief.exe

Well, there was a rumor a few weeks ago Valve would be interested in buying OVR.

Valve makes money hand over fist, but I don't think they have that kind of liquidity. $2 billion is insane.

Carmack back to id ?

If he does end up leaving OR, and we have to see the direction the company takes after the Facebook acquisition, I would imagine he would probably open his own indie development studio.
Hire some gameplay designers and he does the brunt of the coding work.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So what is the end game here?

What does this mean for gaming?
BTW- if this is actually bad news for games, which it may not be at all, this is bad for Morpheus.
doubtful. Problem is facebook has no current leg in gaming. This could be a push towards that but they are not synonymous with gaming.

I'm not sure why, but I'm getting this tingling sensation from all this negativity.

I would like to watch the world burn some more.

Please facebook, buy Valve.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I supported Oculus via Kickstarter. Do I get some proceeds of the transaction?

Dem bitches

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well shit...

I certainly hope Valve or someone else gets back into the game.

Sony's idea sounds great, but proprietary/non-PC support is no fun.

Akai__

Are they serious? Do they want to create a Farmville game for Oculus Rift or what the hell is going on?

Facebook needs to stop with this shit...

Top Bottom