• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook reveals Oculus Quest 2

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Er, looks like everything except the fidelity is there. Unless you mean just the resolution, yeah, that looks sharp and neat. I was just saying this on discord:

Saints & Sinners looks OK on Quest 2.

For a PC port at least not made for mobile chips. Clearly a huge downgrade in detail, textures, lighting but pretty sharp and neat, with some obvious pop in for small objects (edit: and he says at the end some big stuff pop in here and there). Gameplay is all there.
Weird they couldn't at least have some blood and stuff when you're slicing heads left and right though, it works the same as on PC mechanically, swords get stuck in heads etc, but there's no cut. I'd think they'd sacrifice another part of the visuals to keep 1 decal at a time in.
It could improve by release, it's just a demo. I've seen comparisons with Quest 1 and details are reduced way down, if it has severe pop in and performance issues on top I wouldn't recommend it to Quest 1 owners, a shame as at least controller-wise it could do it all unlike PSVR.

Last edited:

Romulus

Er, looks like everything except the fidelity is there. Unless you mean just resolution, yeah, that looks sharp.Was just saying this on discord:

Saints & Sinners looks OK on Quest 2.

For a PC port at least not made for mobile chips. Clearly a huge downgrade in detail, textures, lighting but pretty sharp and neat, with some obvious pop in for small objects (edit: and he says at the end some big stuff pop in here and there). Gameplay is all there.
Weird they couldn't at least have some blood and stuff when you're slicing heads left and right though, it works the same as on PC mechanically, swords get stuck in heads etc, but there's no cut.
Quest 1 is similar apparently but with far more aggressive lod issues and overall lower detail too. Might not recommend it on that device at all if it has performance issues on top. On 2 it's decent.

I mean for a mobile chip, it's really solid graphically. Very impressed it looks that decent and yeah, sharp especially.

Looks good but I'll stick with my original quest for a while. If I learned one thing about the Oculus platform it's software is a slow drip. So I can't see anything really taking advantage of this Hardware for a while. I don't really have a good gaming PC so it's not even worth the effort there.

that could be said of VR as a whole and so a "VR console" is going to be relying on a lot of old favorites - including ports of classic games

this is in fact one of my main interests in Quest: playing Half-Life, Quake and others, thanks to modders. The dream of being inside games is exciting, but current games are mostly not, very much prefer to be inside older, good games.

Alexios

It helps that it's cartoony, just as Apex Construct is one of the better looking Quest 1 ports (and is a far less demanding game overall, it makes sense S&S can't be that good on it). It also looks great on low res PC VR kits like CV1 where technically better graphics can look way muddy and aliased.

Last edited:
What's the issue with the facebook requirement if you can just create a dummy account?

I don't have issues with social media. If they somehow find a way to profit with data tracked from all my sweating, swearing, cursing and laughing while playing VR, be my guest.

But no, I don't think fake accounts will do. You very much risk losing your money doing it if they ban you.

Redlancet

Banned
Looks good but I'll stick with my original quest for a while. If I learned one thing about the Oculus platform it's software is a slow drip. So I can't see anything really taking advantage of this Hardware for a while. I don't really have a good gaming PC so it's not even worth the effort there.
If you have a Quest, wait for the Quest 3,jump two generations its the way

Alexios

Yep, Quest 2 is great for all-new VR users as the best price/quality ratio for PC VR by a mile (outside going for used stuff) and best period for stand alone VR, or for people who have old PC VR like a CV1 or Vive so the jump in resolution (and in Vive's case due to the wands also the better controllers without paying 300 just for Index controllers and sticking with low res until you can get a new HMD) is decent alongside the ability to play its stand alone library. If I had a Quest or S or similar I wouldn't feel compelled to upgrade. I bet we'll see Quest 3 in a couple years within which I imagine only higher end games like Saints & Sinners will appear problematic on Quest 1 (and it's not like every high end PC game will be able to port down to Quest 2 as it's still a mobile chip, I doubt Alyx would work on it for example) as devs will try to make it work well until 2's sales overtake it.

Last edited:

Resenge

Yep, Quest 2 is great for all-new VR users as the best price/quality ratio for PC VR by a mile (outside going for used stuff) and best period for stand alone VR, or for people who have old PC VR like a CV1 or Vive so the jump in resolution (and in Vive's case due to the wands also the better controllers without paying 300 just for Index controllers and sticking with low res until you can get a new HMD) is decent alongside the ability to play its stand alone library. If I had a Quest or S or similar I wouldn't feel compelled to upgrade. I bet we'll see Quest 3 in a couple years within which I imagine only higher end games like Saints & Sinners will appear problematic on Quest 1 (and it's not like every higher end game will be able to port down to Quest 2 as it's still a mobile chip, I doubt Alyx would work on it for example) as devs will try to make it work well until 2's sales overtake it.
You could be right.

I am a sucker for tech and even though I have a few VR headsets including Quest and Rift S, I have pre-ordered the Quest 2 for a couple of reasons. I beleive the CPU and GPU upgrade will surpass the Quest and give better games in the future for example Rec Room runs like ass on the Quest 1, Pokerstars VR is useable but slow and is super low res compared to PCVR, I hope Quest 2 will help with that.

I also had to mod the Quest 1 to make it more comfortable including using my old Vive DAS, a counter weight and extra battery pack. Its better but is still not the greatest. I am hoping the Quest 2 will be more comfortable with the Elite Strap and battery pack built in plus it being lighter and smaller will help.

I have also read it has a better Wifi and I am hoping that will make Wireless PCVR even better, It is impressive that it even works on the Quest at all tbh.

From what I have seen the Quest 2 will be snappier in menus, Quest 1 can be laggy at times, it also has this annoying habit of losing video and going black screen sometimes forcing a hard reboot. All these upgrades I hope will make my Quest experience better because even though the Quest is a great headset it has flaws that spoil my enjoyment of it.

There is also the keyboard addon that allows you to see the keyboard in VR because hand tracking on the Quest is pants IMO. I am not sure how useable that will be but it has my interest.

I wish it wasn't white though. :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

Alexios

I mean, sure, people who don't mind throwing money at every new thing will enjoy the improvements too obviously, that goes without saying! :p

Or whoever can pass on their old stuff to a friend for a fair price (so with 2 being 299 I'd say 150 max for a mint condition S/Quest) to mitigate it.

Last edited:
I have a Pimax 5k and am quite happy with that. I like having the wide view point and can't go back to anything less. I might upgrade to a 8k X one of these days but while their products are great, the company itself just isn't very stable/trustworthy. They change their minds like they change underwear.

CloudNull

Banned
You could be right.

I am a sucker for tech and even though I have a few VR headsets including Quest and Rift S, I have pre-ordered the Quest 2 for a couple of reasons. I beleive the CPU and GPU upgrade will surpass the Quest and give better games in the future for example Rec Room runs like ass on the Quest 1, Pokerstars VR is useable but slow and is super low res compared to PCVR, I hope Quest 2 will help with that.

I also had to mod the Quest 1 to make it more comfortable including using my old Vive DAS, a counter weight and extra battery pack. Its better but is still not the greatest. I am hoping the Quest 2 will be more comfortable with the Elite Strap and battery pack built in plus it being lighter and smaller will help.

I have also read it has a better Wifi and I am hoping that will make Wireless PCVR even better, It is impressive that it even works on the Quest at all tbh.

From what I have seen the Quest 2 will be snappier in menus, Quest 1 can be laggy at times, it also has this annoying habit of losing video and going black screen sometimes forcing a hard reboot. All these upgrades I hope will make my Quest experience better because even though the Quest is a great headset it has flaws that spoil my enjoyment of it.

There is also the keyboard addon that allows you to see the keyboard in VR because hand tracking on the Quest is pants IMO. I am not sure how useable that will be but it has my interest.

I wish it wasn't white though. :messenger_neutral:
I agree with every single thing you said here. Wifi is the biggest reason. Quest 1 WiFi can be complete shit at times.

GHG

Gold Member
I have a Pimax 5k and am quite happy with that. I like having the wide view point and can't go back to anything less. I might upgrade to a 8k X one of these days but while their products are great, the company itself just isn't very stable/trustworthy. They change their minds like they change underwear.

What's the game/software support like for the pimax these days?

Is it just a case of loading up Steam VR like it is with the WMR headsets? Or is there more that you need to do to get everything up and running?

CloudNull

Banned

Great video comparing quest gameplay to quest 2. Textures look so much better on quest 2 and considering videos never do vr justice i bet the quest 2 looks amazing. Easily worth the upgrade.

Alexios

I think the fair thing would be like this. Red Matter was already a purdy PC game, and they ported it into a purdy Quest game, and now it's a purdier Quest 2 port. The difference is there but it's fine for Quest. Same game, same atmosphere, same experience, but the Quest deals with lower resolution, lowered assets and the common fixed-foveated-rendering where stuff in the middle of the screen are sharper and there's an obvious drop in resolution around that. I'd have linked the Cas video but honestly you can barely see a difference even if she's all "wow, so much better".

Last edited:

Resenge

Great video comparing quest gameplay to quest 2. Textures look so much better on quest 2 and considering videos never do vr justice i bet the quest 2 looks amazing. Easily worth the upgrade.

Impressive for a quick update on the Quest line IMO. I am sure this is going to be a significant jump from the Quest. I can absolutely tell where the improvments are in Cas's Vid.

I think the fair thing would be like this. Red Matter was already a purdy PC game, and they ported it into a purdy Quest game, and now it's a purdier Quest 2 port. The difference is there but it's fine for Quest. Same game, same atmosphere, same experience, but the Quest deals with lower resolution, lowered assets and the common fixed-foveated-rendering where stuff in the middle of the screen are sharper and there's an obvious drop in resolution around that. I'd have linked the Cas video but honestly you can barely see a difference even if she's all "wow, so much better".

I think what your missing is Quest users are not expecting PCVR resolution jumps on a mobile chip, I definatly was not anyway. Any significant jump in clarity is very much welcomed. I still think the Quest 1 is made of magic and to see that much of an improvment is something I think a lot of Quest users are looking for. Anything that can bridge that gap between PCVR and mobile VR. I also am not looking for PCVR fidelity on a mobile chip but I do want a watered down version of PCVR games on a wireless stand alone headset that the Quest 1 just cannot do, its close but not quite there. I think this brings us a little closer hopefully.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
I think what your missing is Quest users are not expecting PCVR resolution jumps on a mobile chip, I definatly was not anyway. Any significant jump in clarity is very much welcomed. I still think the Quest 1 is made of magic and to see that much of an improvment is something I think a lot of Quest users are looking for. Anything that can bridge that gap between PCVR and mobile VR. I also am not looking for PCVR fidelity on a mobile chip but I do want a watered down version of PCVR games on a wireless stand alone headset if possable that the Quest 1 just cannot do, its close but not quite there. I think this brings us a little closer hopefully.

Yeah people need to understand this. If I want the best fidelity and great looking graphics i will game on my PC. If I am going to play VR I do not want to worry about cables and setup. The Quest to me is one of the most unique peaces of tech to come out in years. The ability to have vr and play it anywhere is huge. I will use it while on the coach while others watch tv. Or I will use it sitting in bed. I dont expect to get the best graphics on the Quest but the fact the new chip is showing this type of gains already is impressive. I guess my point is that the Quest whether it be Quest one or two is just a great peace of tech that I love.

Shrap

Are you a Quest 1 owner? The difference is huge:

Comparison 1

Comparison 2

Comparison 3

Comparison 4

Alexios

Are you a Quest 1 owner? The difference is huge:

Comparison 1

Comparison 2

Comparison 3

Comparison 4
Did you even click my link, it's the same picture comparison as yours, directly from the devs. Some parts of the screen look far worse because like I also said in my text Quest 1 doesn't render in native res for the whole screen (in this and other games that choose to do this for performance reasons) but uses fixed foveated rendering so the edges are even lower resolution where it seems Quest 2 is full res for the whole (of course Quest 2 games could do the same foveated deal if they go for even higher fidelity that makes it struggle like Red Matter made 1 struggle, and of course both models would do full res when playing PC VR games/versions with Link). The text sign in the comparison wouldn't be quite as radically different had they been looking directly at it for example. So, you showed in pictures what I said in text and linked in the same pictures myself. Roughly the same exact game, lower res assets, lower res rendering, even lower res rendering for everything that's away from the center of the view. It's great on Quest 1 and a very successful port everyone praised and enjoyed and the improvements for 2 are basically what one would expect for it given the higher res and specs (though it's nice they didn't just boost resolution and call it a day but also threw in higher res textures and stuff they had thanks to the PC version). What part do you disagree with? How else would you describe these differences? Or do you disagree with my opinion that for now this is a fair way to develop Quest 1 & 2 games, so that they're better on 2 and take advantage of its specs but 1 owners still get the same game in a good state rather than some unplayable mess? Feel free to I guess.

Last edited:

Romulus

They're already flirting with Oculus 2 exclusives it seems.

Wow that was fast. Hinting at this already means it'll likely happen sooner than later.

Last edited:

Shrap

Did you even click my link, it's the same picture comparison as yours, directly from the devs. Some parts of the screen look far worse because like I also said in my text Quest 1 doesn't render in native res for the whole screen (in this and other games that choose to do this for performance reasons) but uses fixed foveated rendering so the edges are even lower resolution where it seems Quest 2 is full res for the whole (of course Quest 2 games could do the same foveated deal if they go for even higher fidelity that makes it struggle like Red Matter made 1 struggle, and of course both models would do full res when playing PC VR games/versions with Link). The text sign in the comparison wouldn't be quite as radically different had they been looking directly at it for example. So, you showed in pictures what I said in text and linked in the same pictures myself. Roughly the same exact game, lower res assets, lower res rendering, even lower res rendering for everything that's away from the center of the view. It's great on Quest 1 and a very successful port everyone praised and enjoyed and the improvements for 2 are basically what one would expect for it given the higher res and specs (though it's nice they didn't just boost resolution and call it a day but also threw in higher res textures and stuff they had thanks to the PC version). What part do you disagree with? How else would you describe these differences? Or do you disagree with my opinion that for now this is a fair way to develop Quest 1 & 2 games, so that they're better on 2 and take advantage of its specs but 1 owners still get the same game in a good state rather than some unplayable mess? Feel free to I guess.
What the hell is this wall of text? I'm disagreeing with you saying "you can barely see a difference" in the previous post I quoted, which is straight bullshit. There's a massive difference and it will be even easier to tell you when you actually wear the headsets.

Alexios

What the hell is this wall of text? I'm disagreeing with you saying "you can barely see a difference" in the previous post I quoted, which is straight bullshit. There's a massive difference and it will be even easier to tell you when you actually wear the headsets.
If reading is so hard don't reply with bs. I merely said the differences are not so visible in that 30fps 1080p (halved for each part) compressed youtube video, which the creator agrees with and provides timestamps where it's more evident. Clearly I didn't claim there's no difference as you seem to wish to misinterpret, since I also called the Quest 2's output "prettier" right there and then even detailed the exact differences, as the developers also described them, with the same image comparison you then repeated to "disagree" with me as I felt it worked better. So, "what the hell" indeed 🤡

Last edited:

Resenge

my pre-order has been placed. Guessing by November I have it. It was far cheaper, even with taxes, ordering directly from Amazon than what importers here in Brazil ask for.

truly excited for nextgen cable-free, portable VR gaming, plus possibly streaming the many pc VR racers, finally!
I hope you enjoy it, being cable free is something special. Just being able to play VR where you want. Sat on your couch chilling playing Pokerstars VR instead of being forced into a VR area is one of the Quests biggest plus's. I have even sat in bed while my wife reads and played Pokerstars VR.

Gotta be carefull you don't punch someone in the face though.

Last edited:
I hope you enjoy it, being cable free is something special. Just being able to play VR where you want. Sat on your couch chilling playing Pokerstars VR instead of being forced into a VR area is one of the Quests biggest plus's. I have even sat in bed while my wife reads and played Pokerstars VR.

Gotta be carefull you don't punch someone in the face though.

Lol

look at how different our experiences are. I mostly play sitting, even games like Borderlands or Raw Data, because I don't to trip over the damn cable or also lose tracking (psvr)

so, the main selling point of quest to me is proper room scale playing, not sitting down. Though I'm sure to sit to check out the many cockpit experiences on pc that I've been missing on psvr

Resenge

Lol

look at how different our experiences are. I mostly play sitting, even games like Borderlands or Raw Data, because I don't to trip over the damn cable or also lose tracking (psvr)

so, the main selling point of quest to me is proper room scale playing, not sitting down. Though I'm sure to sit to check out the many cockpit experiences on pc that I've been missing on psvr
I do roomscale of course, I have a dedicated area for VR, but that is a normal experience. I was giving you an example of how versatile mobile VR is. Quest gives you more options to play anywhere and playing Pokerstars VR in roomscale is silly as your sat at a table.

Last edited:

Alexios

This was mentioned before in passing even in some of the Facebook Connect videos but FB is doing weird (good?) things with the Oculus Quest side of their store. Apparently developers will be able to publish anything (I assume they'll still ban content infringing on other IP etc. if it comes to their attention) on the platform but it will remain unlisted and not appear in search if it doesn't go through the usual curation process but still give them functionality like pushing updates and generating keys which they can even sell however they like (but not through the store) and retain all revenue from that, wut? I guess this is to compete with or maybe replace or one up SideQuest. It seems like something they'd easily backpedal on if it gains traction and they see it as lost revenue when some dude sets up his Oculus keys store and sells a ton of a good game he made without giving them a dime. Or when somebody makes something like SideQuest except it's just a site/store for selling generated keys for all the unlisted games devs put on it. Maybe it's all about controlling/monitoring what they now don't with SideQuest even if it doesn't bring in actual revenue. On PC it's not necessary since anyone can release a game however they see fit in/out of stores but why not expand this to that side anyway, it's neat.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how good the Quest 2 picture looks hooked to the pc compared to the Rift S. I know it has better resolution but I read there's some quality lost using the oculus link. Do you guys think it's worth the upgrade from the Rift S to Quest 2!?

psn

I'm wondering how good the Quest 2 picture looks hooked to the pc compared to the Rift S. I know it has better resolution but I read there's some quality lost using the oculus link. Do you guys think it's worth the upgrade from the Rift S to Quest 2!?
We will see. I also have the Rift S and would like to upgrade. Either the Reverb g2 or the Quest 2. But I fear that the tracking on the g2 might be a serious downgrade. I hate Facebook but they have the best inside out tracking afaik.

We will see. I also have the Rift S and would like to upgrade. Either the Reverb g2 or the Quest 2. But I fear that the tracking on the g2 might be a serious downgrade. I hate Facebook but they have the best inside out tracking afaik.
Yeah I enjoy the Rift S and I'm not sure whether upgrading will be worth it. Honestly I really wanted wireless vr hooked to the pc and the quest 2 still needs a cable.

Last edited:

Resenge

Yeah I enjoy the Rift S and I'm not sure whether upgrading will be worth it. Honestly I really wanted wireless vr hooked to the pc and the quest 2 still needs a cable.
I would imagine you could use Virtual Desktop to wirlessly play PCVR as you can with the Quest 1. It's not as good as wired PCVR on the Rift S but it is wireless. You just have to lower your expectations a little. Rift S is still my go to for PCVR but there are times I enjoy being wireless.

Last edited:
I would imagine you could use Virtual Desktop to wirlessly play PCVR as you can with the Quest 1. It's not as good as wired PCVR on the Rift S but it is wireless. You just have to lower your expectations a little. Rift S is still my go to for PCVR but there are times I enjoy being wireless.
Right but I want to be wireless and still be able to leverage my pc power to get better graphics than using the quest 2 hardware..

skneogaf

I saw that oculus quest image quality when connected to a pc was a bit like video instead of straight image sent to headset.

Is it the same for oculus quest 2?

Resenge

Right but I want to be wireless and still be able to leverage my pc power to get better graphics than using the quest 2 hardware..
Well thats what I mean, I use my Quest one to play PCVR games that my Rift S plays through Virtual Desktop app, the quality is slightly lower though as its wireless. I have played HL Alyx through the Quest for example.

Last edited:
gotta say I'm far more excited for this than to stream from pc:

:messenger_sunglasses:

I've been following this guy's VR doodles over on Twitter for quite awhile and today I saw how he does it:

so cool and fast. Quill might not have all the flexibility of Dreams, but all that baggage comes at a cost...

is Quill for pc only or Quest too?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
is this the best way to play Half Life Alyx for 300?
For $300 probably. Once they get the upgrades to Link out it might be be the best under $500. But it won't stack up to Index or probably Reverb G2 because of the lack of native video input.

Top Bottom