• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factor 5 now completely dead

I never liked this developer. Can't think of a game they made that really hooked me. Rogue Leader was decent, but that's about all I can think of. In interviews they just came off as arrogant and condescending. I always thought that maybe Microsoft had run over the head guys dog or something they way they talked about them.

Relaxed Muscle said:
It's a shame I loved Rogue Squadron games and how they put into shame graphically 99% of GC games (and a lot of Wii games)

I'd say Rogue Squadron puts 98% of Wii games to shame.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Shiggy said:
Activision even told some UK retailers that it was coming...
LucasArts probably just didn't want to pay Factor 5.

Probably true. Still seems weird. Assuming there were a lot of reused assets (it's a re-release after all) it couldn't have cost much to make, yet surely would sell quite well.

happyfunball said:
The only possible explanation I can think of is the ongoing lawsuit; maybe this complicates publication of the title. I hope it still finds its way out there one way or another.

Yeah, I'd bank on this as well. Nobody probably wanted to get involved in what could have been a messy situation.

As a side question, was this for the Wii or 360/PS3? I seem to recall the Rogue Squadron Trilogy rumours being for the latter, not the former, with a multiplayer mode and all.

Relaxed Muscle said:
It's a shame I loved Rogue Squadron games and how they put into shame graphically 99% of GC games (and a lot of Wii games)

Rogues Leader is one, if not the best looking game of last gen. Hell, it's better looking than many current gen games. It's also the game that best re-creates Star Wars vehicles in space.

Turrican 2 on the Amiga is still amazing playable. Nearly everyday I went to my local gaming store in Cologne to ask when the game is on sale. Very sad to see the end of my childhood heroes. RIP Factor 5!

Celine

Cow Mengde said:
Shin'en does a great job, it's just that their style is more cartoony, whereas Rogue Squadron looks more realistic.
Shin'en is Factor 5 successor in my eyes.
The big difference is that Shin'en continued to stay focused and small while Factor 5 had to emigrate in US and expand.

EatChildren said:
As a side question, was this for the Wii or 360/PS3? I seem to recall the Rogue Squadron Trilogy rumours being for the latter, not the former, with a multiplayer mode and all.
Trilogy was first started for Xbox, later was developed for Wii.

Shiggy

EatChildren said:
Probably true. Still seems weird. Assuming there were a lot of reused assets (it's a re-release after all) it couldn't have cost much to make, yet surely would sell quite well.

Yeah, I'd bank on this as well. Nobody probably wanted to get involved in what could have been a messy situation.

Trilogy project was originally for Xbox, later revived for Wii with new controls. Only Superman was for 360/PS3, if we're neglecting the cancelled Sony titles for now.

Ninja Scooter said:
...you lose the support of a crazy fanbase that will overrate your games and give them a higher profile than they probably deserve.

I thought it was the (forgive me) general consensus that Rogue Squadron wasn't that good beyond its looks...

Green Scar said:
I thought it was the (forgive me) general consensus that Rogue Squadron wasn't that good beyond its looks...

The general consensus was that they were good games, but not amazing games. Rebel Strike was pretty hated by most people.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cool, thanks guys. Interesting if it really was pretty much finished and then scrapped at the very last minute. I guess I'll have to wait until it works in Dolphin (which is never happening) to get my new Rogue Squadron fix.

Do we know if the original Rogue Squadron was a just a port, or if they updated it with assets from Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike?

Cow Mengde said:
The general consensus was that they were good games, but not amazing games. Rebel Strike was pretty hated by most people.

Too many ground missions, which were junk, killed Rebel Strike for a lot of Rogue Leader lovers.

Ridley327

It probably wouldn't have been too hard to do a remake using the pre-existing assets from both Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike. The series as whole never really bothered to go out of its way to introduce new locales.

Shiggy

EatChildren said:
Do we know if the original Rogue Squadron was a just a port, or if they updated it with assets from Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike?

You'll need to ask the former F5 employees here on the board for that.

big_z

They should have stuck with Nintendo. They already had the tools to do amazing stuff on GameCube and could have done some nice work on wii without breaking the bank.

Such a shame they went under, those guys had a gift for pushing hardware.

Emitan

If anyone wants to leak me the final version of Rogue Squadron Trilogy...

But seriously, start leaking stuff, dudes!

Billychu said:
If anyone wants to leak me the final version of Rogue Squadron Trilogy...

But seriously, start leaking stuff, dudes!

Yeah, start leaking dammit! We want direct feed screens, not someone's cell phone video of the Lair terrain engine supposedly running on the Wii.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Hopefully the devs get picked up by Crytek, Naughty Dog, or any other studio serious about optimizing performance.

Emitan

Cow Mengde said:
Rebel Strike had all of Rogue Leader available as a co-op game. One of my favorite games of all time soley because of that.

K' Dash

Lireu77 said:
250px-Turrican_II_cover.jpg

RIP

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

LLShC.gif

Christine

Ysiadmihi said:
Am I the only person who thinks Rogue Leader played like crap compared to the first game? It's not really satisfying shooting down a TIE Fighter if it only takes one hit.

A direct hit from fire-linked cannons on any line starfighter should perforate a TIE/ln far more often than not.

Shiggy

ToyMachine228 said:
Any word on what Touch Factor and/or the new Factor V are working on?

Factor V is probably only providing services. They did FX effects for Lair and Rebel Strike.
TouchFactor is doing casual stuff, check their website and repeatedly click on the 0 (as long and as fast as possible).

gblues

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:
Am I the only person who thinks Rogue Leader played like crap compared to the first game? It's not really satisfying shooting down a TIE Fighter if it only takes one hit.
Did you ever play X-Wing on the PC? The TIE Fighters had no shields and were lucky to survive a direct hit. They survived on their small profile and fast maneuverability.

master15

Rogue Leader for the Gamecube remains one of my favourite titles for the sytem and I sunk in huge amount of hours on that game.

While Rebel Strike was a huge disappointment I always loved Factor 5's effort as a studio in terms of the extra content they would pack into a game. Level commentary, behind the scenes documentaries, art-galleries, track listings ect.

This was at a time when other studio's would ignore such things. It's really a shame what occured but after the Lair debacle, it seems like they continued to bite off more than they could chew.

It's heartbreaking to see developers like Factor 5 and Bizarre fall apart. Both studios have put out games and franchises I've loved in Rogue Squadron (Factor 5) and PGR (Bizarre), and yet both seem to have been been declared DOA after one bad game in Factor 5's case, and two poorly selling games in Bizarre's case.

Seems like we'll continue to see fewer and fewer AAA developers, and more and more indie/XBLA/iOS type developers. Not sure if that's for better or for worse.

jgkspsx

Such a shame. Somebody from F5 was posting here for a while in the mid-2000s and was really excited about escaping Nintendo. I was a big fan in the 90s.

Seems like we'll continue to see fewer and fewer AAA developers, and more and more indie/XBLA/iOS type developers. Not sure if that's for better or for worse.
I love the rising number of excellent one-to-five person indie games - it's sort of like the 80s and early 90s on personal computers all over again - but the absolute destruction of mid-tier developers is heartbreaking. I'm allergic to most AAA games, personally, so it's really bad for me.

Animator

I worked at F5 loong ago and that beaver one is from a game called "animal wars" that was a ww2 themed game that played like warhawk but war between animals. It was fucking amazing looking and was way better than Lair so it made all of us sad it got cancelled.

Animator said:
I worked at F5 loong ago and that beaver one is from a game called "animal wars" that was a ww2 themed game that played like warhawk but war between animals. It was fucking amazing looking and was way better than Lair so it made all of us sad it got cancelled.

Any screens you can leak?

Animator said:

So, like that animation short, cat shit one?

animals > marines|| space marines.

Factor 5 was a great company that created many classics over the years, and I will miss them. Unfortunately, after a certain point their games started to have worse and worse gameplay, but coupled with better and better tech. It's like their designers slowly went crazy, while their programmers took smart pills. Or maybe they just started caving to publisher demands.

Green Scar said:

No way! The Rogue Squadron series is revered as some of the best flight combat games around, though the 3rd game is not so well loved, mainly due to its strong focus on (quite unpolished) on foot gameplay.

So sad to see the last light of hope being extinguished with them (though it was inevitable really). Such a shame to lose such a talented developer and still one of my faves.

The little developer that could is how I'll always remember them.

Animator said:

FFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCCKKKK!!!!! that sounds right up my alley! Fuck this industry!

Leaks... I need leaks...

Enk

makes good threads.
They were working on a new Turrican game and now they're dead????

NOOOOoooooooooooooooo!

Where will the Turrican license go to now?

Soma

Man that sucks. I've been dreaming of an HD Rogue Squadron game for so long. :( I mean yeah sure games like The Old Republic will be neat and all but man I just wanna fly an X-Wing and shoot down some TIE fighters.

Maybe another dev will work on a Star Wars flight sim. A sequel to the X-Wing games would be great.

Top Bottom