• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factor 5 now completely dead

MaddenNFL64 said:
Rogue Squadron & Rogue Leader are fucking legend games. People need to go play them if they haven't yet.
They are ok games, Not more, not less. I think most people who has played the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games feel that the Rogue Squadron series is a bit overrated.

StevieP

Banned
Andrex said:
That reminds me, what are those ex-Retro guys up to? Been a while since we heard anything since they joined up with EA.

I think EA cancelled their contract with them.... lol.

They are ok games, Not more, not less. I think most people who has played the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games feel that the Rogue Squadron series is a bit overrated.

I played Xwing/Tie Fighter/Xwing v Tie etc extensively when I was young. Still have the 3.5" floppies somewhere :D

The Rogue games were still good. Not quite as awesome, but they were up there. And their presentation of the Star Wars universe was amazing.

Coen

CecilRousso said:

What? They're nothing alike, really. And I love both.

GrayFoxPL

Shiggy said:
You know what's funny? Manfred Trenz registered "Turrican" in January 2011, but in August "FACTOR 5 - Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt GbR" raised an objection. It's somewhat confusing as "FACTOR 5 - Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt GbR" also has an approved registration of the Turrican trademark. But then a third party appears, there's also an objection proceeding against Factor 5 by Fabio Serena who's got the Turikan trademark.

But well, this means that there still is a Factor 5. "FACTOR 5 - Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt GbR" was registered in May 2011. So they got all Factor 5 GmbH trademarks now.

What about "Thornado" the spiritual sequel. I think I saw concept art ages ago.

linko9

Both of those character designs in the OP are neat, shame they won't see the light of day. Also a shame about that Rogue Squadron Trilogy.

Shiggy

t_06.jpg
t_03.jpg
a_06.jpg
c_102.jpg

http://www.unseen64.net/2011/11/10/animal-wars-ps3-cancelled/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Animal Wars shmanimal wars. Give me Rogue Squadron Trilogy damn it!

disap.ed

There are .de, .eu and .com domain registrations for factorv, the first two are done by Rene F. Henke (LinkedIn Profile) at a hosting provider in Cologne, Germany.

The .com domain is registrated on Cayman Islands and is probably for sale (they should go for it *g*)

I really hope they are working on a WiiU title, curious what they would be able to achieve.

Globox_82

Banned
When one studio considers Lair to be a good, fun game, that studio deserves to be closed. Sorry but they were so ignorant and living in their own world in which Lair is awesome. They milked Sony for a lot of money (there was rumor about it) and created junk. Shame really.

disap.ed

Quite interesting in a sense that it looks completely niche and no one would buy it? Yeah I agree.

You are right, we should only buy CoDs and FIFAs year in and year out...

It certainly looks interesting, I get slight Hogs of War (PS1) vibes from it.

Shiggy

Die FactorY Media Production GmbH hat als exklusiver Partner der Factor 5 GmbH mehr als 20 Jahren Erfahrung im Bereich der professionellen Entwicklung von Video- und Konsolen-Spielen. Wir arbeiten international mit unseren Partnern TouchFactor und TechDevils zusammen

FactorY Media Production GmbH (Germany) is working together with TouchFactor and TechDevils now, all three are essentially Factor 5 teams. I don't know about the status of TechDevils right now as quite some of their employees moved over to TouchFactor.
If I remember correctly, TechDevils created the Netflix app for Wii.

Die FactorY Media Production GmbH ist der offizielle Nachfolger der Factor 5 mit mehr als 20 Jahren Erfahrung im Bereich der professionellen Entwicklung von Video- und Konsolen-Spielen in Deutschland und in den USA.

FactorY Media Production GmbH is the official successor of Factor 5.

disap.ed

I actually wouldn't say no to SWRS Trilogy as a WiiU launch title.

Imagine scenes from it @E3 trailer like back in the Gamecube reveal days.

@Shiggy: Where is this from?

Globox_82

Banned
whoever gave green light for Lair, he/she should be banned from gaming industry.

One could see from a mile that Lair was crap.

Shame they didn't go with that Dead spac-y looking project instead.

Minion101

Banned
whoever gave green light for Lair, he/she should be banned from gaming industry.

One could see from a mile that Lair was crap.

Shame they didn't go with that Dead spac-y looking project instead.

Lair could have been cool but I don't feel they finished it. This gen is dangerous. One dud can kill a 20 year old developer.

Well that was a random bump. As someone who fucking loved the Rogue Squadron games (particularly the one that came out at the GameCube launch) I've always been really curious about Lair. RS2 was so good it's sort of hard to believe they could fuck up a similarly playing game too much.

Well that was a random bump. As someone who fucking loved the Rogue Squadron games (particularly the one that came out at the GameCube launch) I've always been really curious about Lair. RS2 was so good it's sort of hard to believe they could fuck up a similarly playing game too much.

Never played it myself, but didn't you have to use the 6-axis shit to control your dragon? That's the kind of stuff that would get me to never play a game. I think it was patched in later, but it was too little too late.

Lair could have been cool but I don't feel they finished it. This gen is dangerous. One dud can kill a 20 year old developer.

Maybe but Factor 5 is an awful example of this. Lair didn't kill them (Sony would've taken the hit for that), the 5 cancelled projects afterwards are what killed them (though one of those was a direct consequence of Lair, as Sony dropped them and ran).

The comments about Armature in this thread are interesting though, since we now know that they're not working with Sony or Capcom but with Konami. Though I guess they could be working with one of the others on the side.

Edit:
I think the biggest fuck up was making it PS3 exclusive.
Uh, Sony was the publisher so what did you expect?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

No way in hell. I spent an embarrassing amount of time playing the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games, and I would rank the Rogue Squadron series right alongside them as some of the best Star Wars games. Frankly it never occurred to me to compare them, considering how different their approaches to the subject matter are.

That said, I would rather see X-Wing/TIE Fighter make a return in the modern era. Why LucasArts refuses to give us even a downloadable multiplayer-only update is one of the great gaming mysteries.

Playing Rogue Squadron is what sold me on the GameCube. That series will always be special to me - not FreeSpace or X-Wing/TIE Fighter special, but still special. I think it started to go wrong when they strayed from the core appeal of the original game: it being a nicely balanced arcade-y space combat "sim" with good level design, as well as an excellent (borrowed) narrative structure. Then came the walking levels and, the worst overreach of all, Lair.

Shiggy

Maybe but Factor 5 is an awful example of this. Lair didn't kill them (Sony would've taken the hit for that), the 5 cancelled projects afterwards are what killed them (though one of those was a direct consequence of Lair, as Sony dropped them and ran).

5 cancelled projects?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
5 cancelled projects?

According to the Wikipedia page, these were the canceled project:

Untitled project for Sony Computer Entertainment (PS3)
Superman (PS3/360/Wii)
A rumored Kid Icarus game (Wii)
Untitled flight project for Nintendo (Wii)
Untitled project for LucasArts

Shiggy

Superman (PS3/360/Wii)

Forgot about Kid Icarus ;)
We could also add Battle Squadron, another canned PS3 (?) game.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sorry, a bit bad wording from my side. What i ment is if they actually released a game that cost a lot of money to make, which Nintendo funded, then the game didnt end up selling very well. Or in other words, that the Lair situation happened, but this time Nintendo was the publisher instead of Sony.

It is all hypotethical at this point, but i'm not sure that many companies would do this, unless they (Factor 5) had come up with a really great idea for a new game that a publisher believed a lot in. If Lair had been a big commercial success, then Sony would probably hire them again for another project i think.

Shiggy

So can anybody tell me why they didn't reboot Turrican? A missed chance imo.

Nobody was willing to fund it. That's why we didn't get Thornado. Shortly before they died, they worked on a Turrican prototype:
turricanwmb9h.jpg

I'm talking about if they actually released a game that cost a lot of money to make, then the game didnt end up selling very well.[/spoiler]

Sorry then.

Were any of their previous games published by Nintendo by the way?
Only Pilotwings for GCN, which was shelved. In addition, they worked on technology and they also created the Netflix app, even though that only happened at White Harvest, I suppose.

test_account

XP-39C²
Only Pilotwings for GCN, which was shelved. In addition, they worked on technology and they also created the Netflix app, even though that only happened at White Harvest, I suppose.
I didnt mean to sound rude, sorry. I edited my previous post since i saw that my earlier question was a bit badly worded. You're right that it seems that Nintendo did hire them even after Lair didnt sell well (unless another publisher was hiring them for that the Wii only game?).

Cool, i didnt know about that they worked on that stuff :)

Superman (PS3/360/Wii)

I actually assumed the Lucasarts/Nintendo flight project was one and the same and was using the list found here instead:
- Unannounced Wii port of AAA 360/PS3-Game (cancelled), Electronic Arts Partners
- Unannounced Wii game (for release 2009), publisher non-disclosed
- Unannounced Wii game (for release 2009), publisher pending
- Superman (2008/cancelled), Brash Entertainment

And then added the SCE cancelled project to the count. But I guess if the Lucasarts/Nintendo flight projects were different, they could've had 6 cancelled projects instead of 5.

Erasus

Eh, not really attached to their games. Dont think I played rouge squadron or lair. Sad when people loose their jobs though

Speaking of Left Field in that slide, are they still around? They last did Mayhen 3D for PS360 which was like a Derby MadWorld-style game and there's been nothing since.

Nitrobike could've been great if it had more time in the oven I think, it was a solid attempt at Excitebike 64 2.0, but yeah, it just didn't look polished enough. :(

Hopefully they'll made a sequel or yet another new bike game on Wii U.

Top Bottom