• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake ketchup ad from 'Mad Men' becomes a real ad 4 years later

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
qUQDV3F.jpg
zhSTxYB.jpg
KtasPe6.jpg

When Don Draper pitched an ad campaign on Mad Men, the clients usually ate it up — then bought it. But that wasn’t always the case. Witness the Season 6 episode of the AMC drama in which the Madison Avenue exec (Jon Hamm) tries to sway the ketchup brass on a campaign centered on the tagline “Pass the Heinz.” They pass.

Fast forward a half-century in TV time – or four Earth years – and life is imitating art. Co-credited to Mad Men‘s Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce, Draper’s original campaign will run in print ads and outdoor billboards around New York City through traditional.

KUdL97m.jpg

Heinz says it “selected the ‘Pass the Heinz’ campaign after an agency review because it is clever, modern and doesn’t require paragraphs of copy to convey what Heinz brings to the table.”

“Whether it’s fries without Heinz ketchup or hot dogs without Heinz mustard, this campaign perfectly captures the desire for great-tasting Heinz products with America’s favorite foods,” the (real) company said.

“Even though Don Draper created the ‘Pass the Heinz’ campaign almost 50 years ago, the communications still really work in today’s world,” she said. “Mr. Draper really understood the one thing every Heinz fan knows, which is to never settle for the foods you love without the great taste of Heinz. What we loved about the campaign is that it doesn’t require paragraphs of copy to explain it. It features mouthwatering food images, and all that’s missing is the Heinz.”

Anselmo Ramos, chief creative officer of David, joked that he met with Draper recently (it’s good to hear Don is still with us—at what would be 91 years old). “We had a couple of Old Fashioneds,” Ramos said, “and he gave me the mechanicals from the original campaign.”

Watch Don's pitch in a clip from the show

Source

Source

Whales

Banned
please, don't pass the heinz for the steak

also just don't pass the heinz at all, because ketchup is disgusting trash

Ashhong

I have to assume that they are referring to Heinz 57 sauce when it comes to the steak.

It still sucks, but it is a matter of degrees.

Maybe, but I don't think that's what most people will think of when they see that ad. Maybe if they had a picture of the bottle in the corner or something

BibiMaghoo

Is it really worth watching? Has an 8.6 on IMDB, only watch shows 9 and up, but MM seems interesting idk

I wouldn't say it's the best show of all time, but it is very good. I would be surprised if anyone watched it and it wasn't in their top ten. I would recommend the show to just about anyone.

Ill give a watch when I feel like binge watching a show again

It starts a little slow, but I would say it is more consistently good than any show I've ever watched. I've liked other shows more overall, but quality just oozes out of it. Don Draper is also one of the most interesting main characters ever conceived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom