• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake ketchup ad from 'Mad Men' becomes a real ad 4 years later

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomGyver

See this is where Heinz marketing went wrong. When someone says "pass the Heinz" they just think of ketchup. That's all anyone thinks about, Heinz = ketchup. People don't know about other Heinz products.

Then we end up with people putting ketchup on a steak.

heinz-coupons.jpg

Just to be clear.

Yup. Worcestershire for life.

Cipherr

Is it really worth watching? Has an 8.6 on IMDB, only watch shows 9 and up, but MM seems interesting idk

There's no CG explosions, combat or comic book level lol's (ala Breaking Bad) in Mad Men, so its going to put off some folks. It's a really slow burn. But its a great show if you can stomach that sort of pacing.

I'm surprised its not even lower ranked on a site like IMDB to be honest.

antibolo

Banned
It's not as good as Mad Men but I recommend that people who loved it should try Halt and Catch Fire, same studio and also a period drama except about the 80's tech world.

There's no CG explosions, combat or comic book level lol's (ala Breaking Bad) in Mad Men, so its going to put off some folks. It's a really slow burn. But its a great show if you can stomach that sort of pacing.

I'm surprised its not even lower ranked on a site like IMDB to be honest.
Yeh, figure if Im going to invest all that time in a show I need to set a standard - and making it only 9+ is reasonable to me

ZOONAMI

Heinz doesn't make just ketchup y'all.

Their yellow mustard is also pretty iconic.

Would work with a pic of a Chicago dog with no mustard.

Heinz 57 ain't no A1 but it isn't terrible, but I had thought most people were aware of its existence. It's pretty much either A1 or 57 as far as steak sauce goes.

57 actually goes pretty well with chicken and pork whereas A1 does not. 57 is sort of like a mustard based BBQ sauce, much more versatile than A1.

Pryce

Yeh, figure if Im going to invest all that time in a show I need to set a standard - and making it only 9+ is reasonable to me

FWIW, no television show outside of maybe The Wire had/has as much critical acclaim as Mad Men did. Drama, comedy or otherwise.

Hell, it won more awards than The Wire or Breaking Bad too.

Christine

Maybe, but I don't think that's what most people will think of when they see that ad. Maybe if they had a picture of the bottle in the corner or something

One of the strengths of this ad is that it just directly associates the brand with images of food without needing to focus on an individual product.

Is it really worth watching? Has an 8.6 on IMDB, only watch shows 9 and up, but MM seems interesting idk

Watch this

It looks like there are less than 30 shows that have that ranking, several of which are documentary series. What else do you watch? I wouldn't base my viewing solely on IMDB-user rankings can often be skewed-a good general guide but certainly not gospel.

Mad Men is a great show. In my top 5.

Other shows I've enjoyed recently for reference:
Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, West World, Luther, Sherlock, Stranger Things, Broadchurch, Band of Brothers, Peaky Blinders, House of Cards Season 1

Still need to watch:
The Sopranos, The Wire (I know)

IC5

The whole desire for the ad, in the show, was to keep people buying ketchup. Rather than other, newer/different products.

With all of the alternatives nowadays, I imagine Heinz may very well be in that same position. Maybe not desperately. But the idea is good, to boost Heinz as a defacto.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Seriously. Does Heinz make a steak sauce I'm not aware of??

Heinz 57 is like the second best selling steak sauce. Also while technically medium rare I believe the steak is cleverly photographed to look dry and need steak sauce. Strong work draper.

Fou-Lu

How many people really go through their life eating steaks that are overcooked and dipping them in sauces of some kind? It's a tragedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom