• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
Sometimes I'm not quite sure whether to call an unaccompanied woman "miss" or "ma'am". If they're clearly young then it's an easy Miss, but if it's in that grey area I'll just stick with the miss because that has a better chance of being flattering. If they're clearly a bit oilder I'll load up the ma'am because they probably appreciate that respect. I guess? Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on anything

Misha

Banned
Sometimes I'm not quite sure whether to call an unaccompanied woman "miss" or "ma'am". If they're clearly young then it's an easy Miss, but if it's in that grey area I'll just stick with the miss because that has a better chance of being flattering. If they're clearly a bit oilder I'll load up the ma'am because they probably appreciate that respect. I guess? Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on anything

why do you have to use either? it usually doesn't add anything to sentences

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Tinder lady works at the Museum of Fine Arts and enjoys gin.

I'm a lost cause guys. This girl will have me.

Jobbs

Banned
why do you have to use either? it usually doesn't add anything to sentences

It almost never comes up. It would be if it's a stranger and I don't know their name. Like "miss, you dropped your keys"

If you work certain jobs it may come up more often, of course

FUME5

It almost never comes up. It would be if it's a stranger and I don't know their name. Like "miss, you dropped your keys"

Excuse me, you dropped your keys.

No need for an honourific.

Misha

Banned

"you dropped your keys"

???

i'll never understand why its required in those jobs. all it does is annoy me

(but miss would be preferably if anything)

FUME5

Culturally, most West Australians have an aversion to titles.

#crims

I find it hilarious when online peeps call me "Sir".

Misha

Banned
Yeah, this.

Jobbs revealed to be a lowkey benevolent sexist.

giphy.gif

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Gotta make sure to tip your hat after handing the keys to her as well.

edit: beaten to a fucking pulp

FloatOn

this artists way book is wrecking me and I only just started.

I haven't thought creatively in a long time and so I feel dormant parts of my brain waking up

Misha

Banned
I don't like referring to people as "you" or as nothing. People have names and I'd like to use them. If I don't know their name, I'll use a suitable placeholder.
but why? it doesn't add any function. its more annoying than polite. theres zero point to it.
this artists way book is wrecking me and I only just started.

I haven't thought creatively in a long time and so I feel dormant parts of my brain waking up

the description mentions god. is it particularly religious?

could use some creative confidence.

Jobbs

Banned
I wouldn't call some guy I didn't know sir either fwiw.

Kids today, no respect.

I don't have a title for young guys. I would call a man clearly to my senior "sir" but that'd seem weird using it on someone my age or younger. Hmmm. Maybe I am a sexist, becaus ewomen my age or younger are definitely getting missed.

edit: more than likely a guy my age or younger is getting a "man" or something, if I think about it honestly

but why? it doesn't add any function. its more annoying than polite. theres zero point to it.

this is just mostly academic since it so rarely comes up. I did work a job that had me using it now and then at a point in the past though

marrec

Banned
Also, "Dude" has already become a gender neutral callout in the north-eastern US as proven by a study a buddy of mine did.

So really, just use dude.

Jobbs

Banned
Dude, bruh, buddy, mate.
I hate being called ma'am. Miss is also weird.

but we already learned this is a thing aussies don't like.

sometimes I call women (ones I am friendly with already) "bro" and stuff. by sometimes I mean pretty frequently. even my nieces get it, haha

I tend to use "buddy" a lot.

"hey buddy, you dropped your wallet"

I always read/hear "buddy" as sarcastic or aggressive

Misha

Banned
I don't have a title for young guys. I would call a man clearly to my senior "sir" but that'd seem weird using it on someone my age or younger. Hmmm. Maybe I am a sexist, becaus ewomen my age or younger are definitely getting missed.

edit: more than likely a guy my age or younger is getting a "man" or something, if I think about it honestly

"master" :V
this is just mostly academic since it so rarely comes up. I did work a job that had me using it now and then at a point in the past though

we should abolish both tipping and ma'aming from jobs imo

I made some guacamole. I wrapped a couple hotdogs in bacon and put them on the griddle. There's some thousand island dressing in the fridge. #closeenough

r120EC6h.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
if you think throwing out a "sir" here an dthere is annoying honorifics, if I understand iut ocrrectly Japanese language has a much more innvolved systme of honorofics, called Keigo. Someone swas telling me about it once.

There are a lot of social rules about when to use it, too, with many nuances. Like for example, if you are a woman who married a japanese man, you would never be expected to speak normally to his parents (correct me if I'm wrong though) and only use Keigo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom