• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#Fakenews in Gaming - The Best Video Game Hoaxes

I've seen a thread on here about bad hoaxes. But what are the most legendary? My two picks are from the N64 era (and many of you probably will know what they are already).

First up is Luigi in Super Mario 64. Countless photoshops, countless crackpot theories, and I wanted to believe all of them.

DQZUHa3.png
ZWcAkY2.png

L is Real 2401/2041! You just had to run 64 laps around the Boo courtyard!

But that was one of the better and later fakes (actually a rather good April Fool's joke). Many of the originals were less convincing.

e6o30HG.png
045iPRo.png
VCAnL8v.png

PYeFkSc.png
YCmiZ2g.jpg

JrUFgDi.png
nQbQ2VV.png
DuEtwld.png

Some of the theories were hilariously convoluted and yet so tantalizing to my 10-year-old brain.

First of all, do not save the game! Start the game with Mario's nose
sticking out. Then start a new game. Then at the beginning go and swim
around the whole perimeter of the out side pond. Then go and get ten stars
without going down into the basement. Then go and get the winged cap.
Then go and get all the stars on Bobomb Battlefield, Whomps, and Jolly
Roger Bay. Then go into the basement and get the rabbit and boil the big
bully. Then go to the Princesses Secret Slide and beat it 2 times. The
second time must be in exactly 23.6 seconds then Luigi will pop up and
give you a star. Then you may save. Then at the beginning of the game
you will then have the option of either picking Mario or Luigi!!!

(NOTE: You have to do these steps with out saving!!) Plug your
Controller into the 2nd Controller port. Before you turn on the
N64, hold the joystick up to where that will be the neutral
position. Turn on the N64. Go to file B. (You must erase if you
have data on that file) Go to the castle door and go in. As soon
as you enter the door, press L, R, & Start simultaneously to set
the neutral position back to normal...

And so on... (more here).

This shit was so out of control that IGN actually put out a bounty on Luigi. Of course, eventually Super Mario 64 DS would be released and Luigi would become a reality, though it seemed a little less cool in the end.

Next up is Obtaining the Triforce in Ocarina of Time.

Many people realized that the other collectibles in the inventory screen did light up once you had collected them, leading to the question of whether the Triforce might be collectible, too.

zz04LCu.png

This led to some simple photoshops:

68Siipz.png

IIRC, it was also tied up with an old beta video of Ocarina that did actually show the Triforce.

aYWr8c4.png

But some stories were, like Luigi, very very creative. The best IMO was the Ariana Almandoz version, which you should read in its entirety (archived here).

wANxGDy.png

4YYxBZH.png

ZL78r53.png

I personally remember finding this one really convincing at the time.

It seems like this stuff is harder to pull off in this day and age, but I for one would love to see any other examples. And be honest GAF...how many hours did you waste on trying every theory for these two in particular?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Sheng Long. 'Nuff said.

There was also lots of talk and theorizing about Guile's magic handcuffs and/or a secret knife throw.

Rymuth

Akuma in Resident Evil 2. I really fell for this one. It worked because that game had a boat load of secrets. Plus, that tank had obviously something inside that smashed its way out, so that was a stroke of genius.

AkumaResidentEvil2EGM001.jpg

People, don't just post an image assuming everyone knows the same random rumor or fake news that you believed. Explain what the hell we're looking at.

Check out my Geocites or Angelfire page on how to unlock the following:

-Mewthree
-The PokeGods
-How to get behind Bill's house
-Move the truck to get Mew
-Pikablu
-Yoshi

And much more.

Nude Code for Mortal Kombat (and later Tomb Raider) is the most persistent one I remember from childhood.

I was always confused by that one, since Sonya was MK'S only female character - the rest if the cast was six dudes.

Check out my Geocites or Angelfire page on how to unlock the following:

-Mewthree
-The PokeGods
-How to get behind Bill's house
-Move the truck to get Mew
-Pikablu
-Yoshi

And much more.

Haha Geocities and these old hoaxes are virtually inseparable.

It is real. It's not a photo shop which is why people believed it. There were also multiple versions

This is a good point...crazy how far this has come since simply crappy photo edits.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Akuma in Resident Evil 2. I really fell for this one. It worked because that game had a boat load of secrets. Plus, that tank had obviously something inside that smashed its way out, so that was a stroke of genius.

AkumaResidentEvil2EGM001.jpg

Oh man I forgot all about this, but totally remember everyone talking about it back then. Good times. Miss stupid shit like this.

Mascot

I did some work at Rare's ultra-secretive mansion HQ around 18 years ago and caused a bit of a flap at IGN one boring day by claiming I'd seen a full 3D polygonal version of Killer Instinct running on an N64 there. Got into trouble with the boss about NDAs because the company only had one email address and IGN replied to it, busting my hoax wide open.

louiedog

The Xbox Pure.

Brian Crecente at Kotaku ran a story about the Xbox Pure, a new name for the Xbox 360, that was originally on Cheap Ass Gamer. They had been discussion that blog sites would just pick up on stories without verification and thought their audience could probably come up with something that a site would be willing to publish without any digging. They were right and Crecente got pretty mad. He said CAG was throwing their credibility under the bus even though the story he picked up wasn't in their news section, or an official announcement from the site, but just a user blog. It'd be like treating a story from Blogger as legit just because Google owns it.

GAF thread

Plasma

Banned
This one was before MGS2 Substance was announced, I really wanted it to be real it would have been fun playing the Big Shell incident from Snake's perspective and exploring the other struts.

spunodi

Courtesy of SEGA magazine in the UK around the time of Sonic and Knuckles release.

Essentially a competition was posted to find 'Rankles the Otter' a character hidden in Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Rankles1.jpg

A million quid? A new Sonic character? AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

So I of course got to work, even using Action Replay tricks and all sorts to try and find this character, which didn't exist.

Some bright sparks however, much later on, managed to approximate the character through what is essentially a palette hack / error via the debug mode.

Rankles2.jpg

As a kid I even added Rankles to my fanart drawings (as well as the STC characters ofc).

In the days of DeviantArt however, this is incredibly embarrassing. Forget this post.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
durbuttertos4u.gif

I realize you were asking for believable hoaxes, but you said best. I'm holding you to that.

That's actually real, unless Bioforce Ape isn't a real unreleased unfinished NES title

Edit: Oh that part is fake lol. :( I am a dumb

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Courtesy of SEGA magazine in the UK around the time of Sonic and Knuckles release.

Essentially a competition was posted to find 'Rankles the Otter' a character hidden in Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Rankles1.jpg

A million quid? A new Sonic character? AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

So I of course got to work, even using Action Replay tricks and all sorts to try and find this character, which didn't exist.

Some bright sparks however, much later on, managed to approximate the character through what is essentially a palette hack / error via the debug mode.

Rankles2.jpg

As a kid I even added Rankles to my fanart drawings (as well as the STC characters ofc).

In the days of DeviantArt however, this is incredibly embarrassing. Forget this post.
Have you ever drawn any Sonic characters in compromising positions?

CloakBass

Luigi in Mario 64; man that takes me back. If Yoshi was in there then they had to have Luigi somewhere, right? I figured he'd make a SMRPG-style cameo at least. The triforce in OoT "guides" were also really fun to read on shady Zelda fansites. I remember one that said it was in a pyramid you could spot in the distance in the Gerudo Desert portion right before the Spirit Temple. That was such a strange section of the game; perfect for unsavory game rumors.

I ain't proud to admit it, but I fell for this EGM hoax:

6d1f5a407a.jpg

I googled it after not hearing anything about the pre-order bonus for a while and realized my folly. Frickin' 'mature Zelda' talk back in the day, yikes.

spunodi

Have you ever drawn any Sonic characters in compromising positions?

No, nothing about that seems right. I was around 9 years old when Sonic and Knuckles released and the internet wasn't a hugely accessible 'thing'.

When the Internet started becoming a part of life I was around 16 and it dawned on me that some Sonic fans had... unconventional tastes.

Kinyou

fF5PSab.jpg

This one was before MGS2 Substance was announced, I really wanted it to be real it would have been fun playing the Big Shell incident from Snake's perspective and exploring the other struts.
Damn, that's a pretty neat idea for a game

Also the teasing in the article is just cruel, lol

"She provides Snake with background details, including a surprise that'll amuse hardcore fans of the series"

Lindsaymv

I was already pretty well versed in BS like Mew under the truck in Pokémon, but somehow I fell hook line and sinker for some dodgy online article that claimed you could get Luigi as a character in FF9. I never even tried it, but the method was so straightforward and no one spoke out against it on the site (and want to say gamefaqs?) that I just figured it was legit, told my friends about it and everything. I think the logic was that in exchange for making Super Mario RPG, Square had the right to stick a Mario character in a game as a one time deal. Luigi would be hiding out somewhere in the final area and you could find him (probably with a special item) and he would ask if you knew where his brother was, if you answered correctly he'd join me you to go find Mario.

Idunno man, anyone else remember this obvious hoax?

_woLf

Playable wiz pig in Diddy Kong Racing

Bills garden

Ss Anne truck

Those are the big ones I remember.

Oh, and countless hidden characters in smash games

Those who followed Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS news to the very end will remember the infamous Palutena "leak".

Smash_bros_palutena-782x1152.jpg

Crazy times these were, especially for me since Palutena was my most wanted character for Smash 4 at that point. Of course, these turned out to be fake (not that it really mattered considering she got in anyway lol) but I remember all the big debates and analysis made about these images.

Top Bottom