• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#Fakenews in Gaming - The Best Video Game Hoaxes

Menitta

nintendo_nx_fake.0.0.jpg

This gets my vote.

While it is a short lived April fools joke Final Fantasy Gaiden was brilliant. Even included gameplay footage showing things not normally seen in FFVIII gameplay.

tombraider.jpg

I can't find the original UK PS magazine that said this (would love to see it though!) but the original Tomb Raider having a nude code.

Yes, I did try it back then and it made Lara explode.
Spice Girls Wannabe? The one I remember hearing about was Never Ever by All Saints and I did hear about people buying the single to help with timing.

SystemUser

I've never been into Street Fighter, but it looks like this entire character is a hoax? That's amazing.

Sheng Long (Ken and Ryu's master) was a huge urban legend when I was in middle school. I swear the urban legend started before the magazine prank.

Street Fighter 4 was such a big nostalgia sequel for SF2 fans. SF4 finally had Ken and Ryu's master playable as Gouken. I feel like I almost bought the game just to finally play as that character. It is one of my favorite all time fan service in games.

L Thammy

Sheng Long (Ken and Ryu's master) was a huge urban legend when I was in middle school. I swear the urban legend started before the magazine prank.

Street Fighter 4 was such a big nostalgia sequel for SF2 fans. SF4 finally had Ken and Ryu's master playable as Gouken. I feel like I almost bought the game just to finally play as that character. It is one of my favorite all time fan service in games.

Additional context:

The actual game does include the line "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance", which is a big part of what sells this hoax. There's evidence to it. Of course, at the time, most kids wouldn't have any way of knowing that Sheng Long refers to a dragon and not to a person. Or that the line was originally referring to Ryu's Shouryuken (Rising Dragon Punch).

PSqueak

Banned
I remember kind of beliving many OOT ones for one reason:

The commercial for the game that aired in mexico showed beta footage, instead of the creeptastic trashy great fairy there was a serious as fuck looking angel lady that you could never meet in the final game, so a lot of rumors used that angel to make it believable.

FinKL

When I was a kid, I fell hard for the "You can acquire the Triforce Power" in Ocarina of Time! Man I can't believe I feel for that on April Fools

I even went to my youth center and show everyone we could do it!

noquarter

Sonic and Tails in Super Smash Bros Melee got me pretty good. EGM had an April Fool's joke that had me trying for awhile to get them unlocked.

They also had one about the Sega Neptune, a Genesis/Sega CD/32X all in one. Really wanted that to be true.

Surprised no one has posted any Aeris cheats. Know bringing her back was wildly popular belief back in the day.

Animalities in MK2 was pretty good. Guess since they became real the rumor isn't remembered as well. No there was a ton of different ways to get them, one of them was a Flawless victory, followed by having your life in the red when you defeat the opponent and then entering in a combo that was too long to actually get off.

woopWOOP

Some local magazine put some of those convoluted "do this EXACTLY" tricks in the cheats section of the magazine. Whoever you are, thanks for making me and my brother waste hours upon hours of trying to trigger some super final boss in Mega Man 2.

The Pokemon truck was so mean. It all sounds so bullshit until you actually see the truck. Then you start believing anything and you try all the dumb cheats and tricks to trigger Mew, but nothing works.

Ohyeah, and Luigi in Mario 64 too ofcourse. Funny thing is that we actually managed to fall through the castle by flying into the top of the middle tower as the cheat described, but there's nothing but void in there. Walking into the door from the other side still triggers the animation and loads you into the inner castle area.

Scotia

Banned
My favorite video game hoax has to be Ermac in Mortal Kombat. Here's a brief run down for those that don't know:

In the 1992 original game, an audits screen on the arcade machine's diagnostics menu displayed a macro written by series co-creator and programmer Ed Boon in order to catch coding errors...It was spelled as ERMACS — a pluralized contraction of error macro—as in how many times the program would execute. First seen on the audits screen below a counter titled "Shang Tsung Beaten" (in reference to the game's final boss fight) in early revisions, it went unnoticed by players and fans until Boon added the hidden character Reptile into the third revision of the game. ERMACS was now listed with "Reptile Appearances" and "Reptile Battles" on the audits menu, which provoked players into searching for what they believed was a second secret character named Ermac hidden in the game...

...Electronic Gaming Monthly published a submitted screenshot from the first Mortal Kombat in the "Tricks of the Trade" column of their October 1993 issue (#51), along with a letter from "Tony Casey" that claimed he had played against a red ninja named Ermac with a low-quality Polaroid of the screen as evidence...the photo was a doctored image of yellow ninja character Scorpion in a victory pose on the "Warrior Shrine" stage from the Super NES version of the game, tinted red and with a superimposed center-screen phrase that read "Ermac Wins."Two issues later (#53, December 1993).

250px-MK1Ermacsauditscreen.png
ermac.jpg

As for a hoax I believed in? When I was a kid I was told that Frozone was a playable character in The Incredibles on PS2. I was pretty pissed when it turned out to be a joke.

Top Bottom