• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Falklands 'will be under our control in 20 years', says Argentine foreign minister.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalin80

Banned
Of course, they never asked the people of Hong Kong what they thought when they negotiated with China over the retrocession.

Yes because an entirely different situation is directly comparable.

Falklands-

British territory invaded then retaken.

Hong Kong-

Chinese territory taken on as a known business contract which reached its end as expected.

Yes because an entirely different situation is directly comparable.

Falklands-

British territory invaded then retaken.

Hong Kong-

Chinese territory taken on as a known business contract which reached its end as expected.

Not that different and here's why:

Why have even hold a referendum if the territory was always British? It should be a total non-issue. But both cases involve two powers having a dispute over a piece of real estate, but with locals caught in the middle.

Funny how locals matter in one British territory while they don't in the other.

lol @ "business contract"

Also, no a garrison is not a legitimate settlement. It doesn't show an intent to stay and develop a land.

As long as they're there, why does it matter if they build roads or do nothing? Who decides what is right development? By that logic, hunters gatherers should give way to more advanced civilizations since the hunters never stay in one place and let precious natural ressources go to waste.

And anyway even if it was, it was a private French settlement, not an Argentinean one. The fact the mercenaries who made up the garrison were from Argentina doesn't make it Argentinian.

Yoiu're conflicting issues. They were officially part of the Argentinian federation, what was then Argentina and acting on their behalf. Who and what every single individual was is irrelevant. You're splitting hairs here.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but that's plainly ignorant. For one, North America, Australia and most of the Caribbean say hi as places that aren't "overseas outposts". For another, honestly it makes no sense at all. What does any of that have to do with the absurdity that British colonialism of South America is illegitimate, but Spanish colonialism isn't?

I'd be careful before calling anyone anything.

Why bring up North America? The US has been ccompletely independent from the UK for over 200 years. Canada still has ties has a consitutional monarchy, but largely independent. Australia is a republic now. As far as I'm concerned, they're different actors.

There might be a misunderstanding still. I meant earlier that I'd respect the Falklands better if they were an independent entity rather than just a pawn to the faraway United Kingdom. I view them as no better than St Pierre & Michelon in that respect (convenient fishing port for French boats).

Um what? Tibetans are a subjugated people. Israel actively suppresses and illegally takes land from Palestinians. What does this have to do with the Falklands? There are no Argentineans being subjugated, suppressed and no land has been illegally taken. Again, the British have held claim to the Falklands before Argentina was a sovereign nation. Consequently, it's the Argentineans who are acting like the agressors in this situation.

Ok just checking!

Log4Girlz

I think this issue with colonialism should be taken care of once and for all. The british need to leave the falklands. Its clearly a relic of colonialism. Everyone of european decent should leave Argentina, seeing as how the land was illegally taken from its native residents against their will.

Metroxed

Falklands 'will be under our control in 20 years', says Argentine foreign minister

Argentina's foreign minister has declared he will confront the UK government with a "diplomatic package" that will see the Falkland Islands handed over by Britain in less than 20 years.

Hector Timerman opened a visit to London in which he will press the message that the Islands are a colonial hangover by claiming that Britain would be forced to relinquish its grip on the overseas territory.

He said Argentina was an "incomplete country" as a result of the British claims on what his government calls the Malvinas in the South Atlantic.

"I don't think it will take another 20 years. I think that the world is going through a process of understanding more and more that this is a colonial issue, an issue of colonialism," he said. "We don't support the occupation of foreign lands, and the Malvinas case is the occupation of a foreign land."

While Mr Timerman also vowed to respect the "rights" of the 3,000 residents of the islands, he dismissed the need for their consent to a transfer of sovereignty.

"I don't have to persuade them. The United Nations says there is a conflict between the United Kingdom and Argentina. I don't have to persuade anybody. We have to apply international law and accept the resolutions; if not the UN becomes a body that is only useful when it backs the powerful," he said.

Just a side note, Malvinas is not "what the Argentinean government calls the islands", Malvinas is the name in Spanish, used always when speaking about them in a Spanish conversation.

To Argentina: I don't think it's going to happen, the local population has already said they want to keep being British/Falklander and do not have any interest in becoming part of Argentina, so I can't see why should they be forced.

I think this issue with colonialism should be taken care of once and for all. The british need to leave the falklands. Its clearly a relic of colonialism. Everyone of european decent should leave Argentina, seeing as how the land was illegally taken from its native residents against their will.

There's no one to return to land to in Argentina. Same with Uruguay. Same with Cuba. The current inhabitants are by default the natives.

genjiZERO

There's no one to return to land to in Argentina. Same with Uruguay. Same with Cuba. The current inhabitants are by default the natives.

That's factually untrue. And even if it was true (which again it isn't) why wouldn't this also apply to the Falklands?

But I agree with the other poster. All non-Indigenous must leave! All foreigners need to return to their homelands!

Vanz

Banned
Meh, I guess I'm the only argentinian that doesn't care about the islands, I mean come on, England is not going to surrender them, everyone should get over it IMO.

SteveWD40

Meh, I guess I'm the only argentinian that doesn't care about the islands, I mean come on, England is not going to surrender them, everyone should get over it IMO.

Actually there at least two others in this thread alone ;)

It's pretty clear it's a smokescreen as been said before, nothing distracts a dissenting population more than jingoism.

Jezbollah

I am fiercely patriotic when it comes to the Falklands - something the Argentine government has stoked up in me being British. I genuinely feel sorry for the Argentine people for the issues their country is experiencing at the moment. I sincerely hope they elect leaders that can fix their core issues at hand rather than paper over the holes with political vitriol.

But it's not just the British they have targeted - see Spain and the Repsol/YPF saga for example....

Ding-Ding

Does anyone want to tell Instigator that Australia isn't a republic and that its still a constitutional monarchy?

Oh, I think I just did. It is funny though to watch him describe Argentines as "natives" and Falkland Islanders as "colonists"

Personally I think we should send in the big guns. As the Argentine Government had a real bee in their bonnet when Prince William was down there, its time for the bullet magnet...

Prince Harry, pack your bags (and to the Falkland Islanders, lockup your daughters)

Joke post? Calling for anyone of European decent to leave Argentina is not just incredibly daft, but racist as well. Why don't we round up all the different races in the US and send them packing to their country of origin and give it back to the native americans while we're at it.

Enkidu

Joke post? Calling for anyone of European decent to leave Argentina is not just incredibly daft, but racist as well. Why don't we round up all the different races in the US and send them packing to their country of origin and give it back to the native americans while we're at it.
It was clearly sarcasm meant to show that it's quite hypocritical of Argentina to play the colonialism card in this situation.

So you're seeing the problem with ordering the Falkland Islanders to go to Britain then, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom