• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2010 Anime Thread: Reboots, Retreads, and Rediscovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's kind of disturbing to see how many times Naruto was shown there.
:lol :lol :lol Doraemon

JKTrix

I just got Castlevania from Gamefly and was about to start playing it, but then I saw that the Crunchyroll ticker for the next episodes of PSG were dangerously low. 'Vania will have to wait! Though I guess I can install both discs.

Jex

Infinite Ryvius 7 : Everybody hates Yuki.

The time has finally come! Yuki is not attacked once, or twice, but thrice!

Oh happy days. It really brings a tear to my eye.

I would also say something about my recent reading of Bakemonogatari 1 but I might as well wait for P&S to do their thing.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Infinite Ryvius 7 : Everybody hates Yuki.

The time has finally come! Yuki is not attacked once, or twice, but thrice!

Oh happy days. It really brings a tear to my eye.
Lesson of the day: there is always a bigger asshole.

Geneijin

Lain said:
I'm one of the few that liked it, I think. But it was mostly thanks to Ryoko. She is indeed strong and kick-ass.
I've enjoyed it too and that was mostly because of Ryoko. But it wouldn't be something I could recommend. It depends what the person is looking for in a show. Hearing about Ryoko was enough for me quite frankly, and it delivered in that regard.

JKTrix

I don't think it was worth it to delay my play of Castlevania for those episodes of PSG :(

If you don't like somewhat abusive relationships, you might want to skip Ryoko. Her personality is kind of like Haruhi Suzumiya, but just a tad more mature. The way she treats Kyon is basically how Ryoko treats her male counterpart in the show, so if you really dislike that kind of thing you may definitely want to steer clear.

I've never really thought of them in the same sense until now, but I would be more willing to recommend Ryoko to people who have seen a lot of anime before I would Michiko & Hatchin. Mostly because Michiko's character can be a lot more annoying with the dumb decisions she makes. Ryoko is smart and good at everything she does.

Read Or Die TV was pretty good, but $200 good, no...

firehawk12 said:
I'm glad we're refusing to let this show die. :lol

I did just recently watch the two extra episodes, so why not.

I guess my point is that it doesn't matter what is happening to the world, since thematically it is more about how you would deal with the world ending.

But it does matter, and I think the characters care... I mean, at least some of the attitude you're describing is there (particularly in episode 13), but so is what I've said. The problem is that there's no continuation to make it clearer which way they want things to go, towards finding a place that is recovering or towards "everyone really is doomed" depression. Based on episode 13 I think they could do either, if it ever continues in some way. Different parts of the episode were on both sides of the issue.

Of course, I still believe that the world that they know it is probably ending, if they're willing to show that oceans are drying up. But that's beside the point. :)

Water doesn't just disappear, it has to go somewhere... I mean, it can't just go away. You could have an ice age or something, but that wouldn't wipe out humanity, just make things a lot harder (and yes, I'm sure more of the survivors would die). As for desertification as I said that would do the same thing. But there are people who survive in the Sahara, for instance...

That is, it wouldn't be so easy to wipe out humanity through environmental change like that. :)

Also, there are depressing endings in American SF film, disguised as happy endings. A.I. and Blade Runner come to mind.

True, but I think the depressing ending is one reason why A.I. didn't do very well. People want something happier.

As for Blade Runner, perhaps, but that's a somewhat different kind of depressing ending really.

Saki is interesting because it's one of Gonzo's last shows (and full of fanservice, so it's perfect!). To be honest, I probably like it more because it's about mahjong more than anything else. Having mahjong fans break down the impossibility of some of Saki's hands, let alone the rule changes that let her win, is just amusing.

I don't think you need to understand Mahjong in order to get how ridiculous what the characters do during the games is... I mean, I think my comparison to Yugioh is fair, it's a little like that. Except with a lot more girls. But the absurd regularity of amazing hands is part of what makes the series entertaining, right? The better a player you are, the more likely you are to get a better randomly selected hand. It's just natural, right? :)

Unless they really are using their psychic superpowers to affect the draw, as they keep sort of saying Amae Kuromo is doing... I'm through episode 16 now, Saki's got to figure out how to beat Kuromo now, but everyone seems pretty intimidated at the moment. Obviously Saki will figure something out, we'll just have to see what. :)

Oh yeah, as for the fanservice, as anyone who has seen it knows, it's mostly constant low-angle shots hinting that nobody in the cast wears panties, without actually ever showing anything really conclusive. Okay, sure, why not. This kind of anime often has fanservice, and it could be a lot worse. (The strong and competent characters helps too, of course.) There's just one odd thing, though. In episode 2 or 3 when Yuki dresses up as a maid, she flips up her skirt to Kyotaro and says "check out my panties", and of course he looks away because the joke is that she likes him while he doesn't like her, he likes Nodoka (who, of course, likes Saki). So what, she wore some just for the maid cosplay or something?

Of course, the line that Saki and Nodoka say just before that about how short their maid-dress skirts are is pretty strange too, given that both wear their school uniform skirts just as short or shorter. Oh well, it's fanservice. Such things often don't exactly have good excuses.

Returning to the series itself though, Saki's got to teach Kuromo the value of other humans or something like that now, I assume... Kuromo thinks that humans are worthless because of her superior powers, of course, so now you've got to have the hero(ine) teach her the error of her ways.

Also, I know I said it before, but even in her matches it's a little odd how comparatively little screentime Saki herself gets... we've probably seen almost as much of that Tsuruga girl as we have of Saki... oh well. I guess as the main character she's supposed to have less character than others, or something, apart from being a genius, so that gets them to focus on others more... I don't know. I know she will finally show up and win in the end, though. They did something similar in the last episode though, they must have spend like half of the episode building up how Momo joined Tsuruga's club, how she likes that other girl who recruited her, how she's invisible, etc, etc... a lot of buildup for a quick, "Nodoka doesn't see your invisibility, you lose now" defeat early in the next episode. I understand that it's trying to spread things out and cover a lot of characters in depth, and that's good, but it does mean that you focus on the main characters a little less. And there are only 25 episodes of the anime, unless they do a second season sometime (I know the manga is ongoing).

I noticed other timing things earlier though, sometimes the series skipped over whole months in order to zip from the beginning of the year to the team tournament in no time flat. That was kind of a nice change though, a lot of animes would have taken forever to get to the tournament, but Saki gets there very quickly, skipping a lot of filler...

It probably also has the biggest cast of any anime that I can think of... and 99% of them are women. :lol

You haven't watched Ikkitousen or Koihime Musou, have you. :)

I haven't watched more than a few episodes of Ikkitousen, but I have watched the first two seasons of Koihime Musou and have started on the third, and it's got a ridiculously huge cast, almost all of which are female. Of course, that's to be expected from "Romance of the Three Kingdoms but with everyone as a girl" shows...

The Koihime Musou games evidently are more normal stuff with a main character guy who can get all of the girls, etc, but the anime drops the guy, so it's just girls, and all the sexual humor is yuri. There isn't even a male character as relevant as the guy in Saki, the only relevant guy character I can think of in Koihime Musou is only in it for like two or three episodes of the first series. It's a pretty silly and stupid series, but somehow I find it entertaining anyway. I doubt I'd like it much if it was standard harem comedy, but without the guy in the series it's tolerable... the games do not sound good. On this issue the anime's style is probably better.

Stupidest part of Koihime Musou so far -- When the Yellow Turban Rebellion is solved by a battle between bands (the bad girls who are sort of controlled by an evil book, versus our heroines) . Nobody dies, as is normal in the series -- not one character dies during the series. Evidently the games were different on that front, but the anime is completely non-serious. Sometimes that's alright, but does get old after a while. I think there are one or two flashbacks to people who died in the past, and one character might die during the series, but yeah, it's pretty silly compared to the actual history of the period that it's (loosely) based on, obviously. It's such a stupid show, I don't know why I keep watching it... I maybe shouldn't, but oh well, I've watched too much of it now to not just finish the thing.

Of course though, nobody watches shows like this for any kind of depth or accuracy, so it's not like it's surprising. But I'm a history major so I can't help but think about it.

Oh, also, I started ep.1 of Ore Imouto... It's really really stupid, as expected. Doubt I'll watch much of it.

Jex

JKTrix said:
Mostly because Michiko's character can be a lot more annoying with the dumb decisions she makes. Ryoko is smart and good at everything she does.
I would agree that they're dumb, but I didn't find that annoying. She's portrayed as a flawed human being, who sometimes makes bad decisions.

JKTrix

Jexhius said:
I would agree that they're dumb, but I didn't find that annoying. She's portrayed as a flawed human being, who sometimes makes bad decisions.

I hold Michiko (the show) in high regard, particularly as an entry-level anime on a similar level as Cowboy Bebop. New Anime Watchers might not have as strong of an idea of what an anime protagonist 'should be', and coming from other media with realistically flawed characters would let them see a 'flawed anime character' for what it is. Someone in the last thread said they didn't like the show because of how Michiko acted, though I think he came around. And then people complain when child protagonists make dumb decisions in an anime, when the reason (some of the time) they make the bad decision is because they are a child and not as wise as the viewer.

For people who have been watching anime for a long time and are used to 'perfect protagonists' who never do anything wrong, Ryoko is more in line with their frame of characterization. I like Michiko as a show better overall.

Jex

JKTrix said:
I hold Michiko (the show) in high regard, particularly as an entry-level anime on a similar level as Cowboy Bebop. New Anime Watchers might not have as strong of an idea of what an anime protagonist 'should be', and coming from other media with realistically flawed characters would let them see a 'flawed anime character' for what it is. Someone in the last thread said they didn't like the show because of how Michiko acted, though I think he came around. And then people complain when child protagonists make dumb decisions in an anime, when the reason (some of the time) they make the bad decision is because they are a child and not as wise as the viewer.

For people who have been watching anime for a long time and are used to 'perfect protagonists' who never do anything wrong, Ryoko is more in line with their frame of characterization. I like Michiko as a show better overall.
I had the feeling you'd say something painfully reasonable like this. Get out!

Heat Guy J 19 : Great, the only kind of cool character has a little sister complex.

Except that, it's not actually his little sister! It's someone elses. And she's dead. Ha!

Instead his complex was really about his only friend, who was really 'not interested in guys' even though he repeatedly said "We could have run away together!" whilst crying theatrically.

Xater

Man this season is not good for me. I still have to watch Star Driver and Super Robot Taisen, but everything else I didn't like. And the impressions of SRT have not been good so far either. :(

Dresden

Xater said:
Man this season is not good for me. I still have to watch Star Driver and Super Robot Taisen, but everything else I didn't like. And the impressions of SRT have not been good so far either. :(
SRT was boring, which was quite a feat considering how many explosions it has.

Jex

Dresden said:
SRT was boring, which was quite a feat considering how many explosions it has.
But those explosions sure were really pretty. And we get a rocket punch. What more can man want?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A Black Falcon said:
But it does matter, and I think the characters care... I mean, at least some of the attitude you're describing is there (particularly in episode 13), but so is what I've said. The problem is that there's no continuation to make it clearer which way they want things to go, towards finding a place that is recovering or towards "everyone really is doomed" depression. Based on episode 13 I think they could do either, if it ever continues in some way. Different parts of the episode were on both sides of the issue.
We're probably going around in circles, but the happy ending is that the characters accept change and move on with their lives in a fruitful manner. It's cheap, but that's why K-On!! and SnW ended with the characters running.

Everything else is just semantics, I guess. :lol

I don't think you need to understand Mahjong in order to get how ridiculous what the characters do during the games is... I mean, I think my comparison to Yugioh is fair, it's a little like that. Except with a lot more girls. But the absurd regularity of amazing hands is part of what makes the series entertaining, right? The better a player you are, the more likely you are to get a better randomly selected hand. It's just natural, right? :)
Oh yeah, it's that shounen game tie-in anime thing, except with 20+ girls instead of a spiky-haired dude. I just like it because it's my way of engaging with mahjong since I have no real way to play it.
(Online MJ is like online poker, unless there are real stakes, it's not worth playing because no one plays seriously).

The anime moved at a relatively brisk pace and even outpaced the manga, considering they essentially devoted episodes to the "enemy schools"... which I appreciated because at the time I found it interesting that sports animes would devote as much time to developing the losers as much as they would to the main characters.

Negator

mAcOdIn said:
I appreciate Funimation taking the time to convert them to Bluray but couldn't they edit Tessa out while doing the remaster? She's worse than any banding, DNR or artifacting.

Hey, fuck you buddy. You just went over the line!

JKTrix

I'm really regretting not going to New York right now--I didn't have the cash for it until yesterday, but i could have swung it if I made some last-minute arrangements. @DarylSurat is talking about Mamoru Oshii interviewing Kenji Kamiyama--making fun of Eden's non-ending--and I'd have really liked to see that.

Edit: Actually that's wrong--he's watching the Eden BluRays, it's an extra on the BluRay set. Still, I'd have liked to be in New York right now.

Salazar

JKTrix said:
I'm really regretting not going to New York right now--I didn't have the cash for it until yesterday, but i could have swung it if I made some last-minute arrangements.

I wouldn't have minded seeing Mouse Guard stuff.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
N06tX.png

like cottoncandy for the soul. mmmmmmmmmm.

To Aru Majutsu No Index II 1

Touma is back, with all his misfortune. :D
Sphinx was the star on this episode in my eyes. I loved how Sphinx imitated Touma's emotions when confronting Mitoko.

The OP was good, but I like the season 1 OP more.
The ED was awesome.

I like how they used material they skipped during the first season to create the reintroduction episode. Much better than what they did for the first episode of Shana II.
Next episode, on to the book of Law arc.

Haly

watervengeance said:
Because Railgun features a Tsundere as the main character, and we all know how Japan feels about Tsunderes.
No I mean artistic style wise. Misaka's :3 face aside, Railgun's characters don't look nearly as cheap moe-bait-ish as that screenshot of Index.

Dresden

Proelite said:
Index is like really really old.
Isn't she a 14 year old who looks ten?

No I mean artistic style wise. Misaka's :3 face aside, Railgun's characters don't look nearly as cheap moe-bait-ish as that screenshot of Index.
Different staff is the reason, probably.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Halycon said:
index is moe bait, thats all shes for.

dont let the series name fool you, shes not even a main character.

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
When do the Railgun characters show up? :lol
Kuroko gets a little arc of her own later on this season, when the rival teleporter shows up. Misaka is always there. Uiharu pops up in Kuroko's arc. Saten will probably get a cameo.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Something to look forward to, because apparently I hate myself too much to appreciate Index properly. :lol

Fortune Arterial seemed relatively benign. Harem + vampires.

Dresden

Proelite said:
15 and Touma is 17 at most.

There is nothing wrong with Touma tapping Index.
Still looks wrong to me, but you're right. Age-wise there's no problem.
It's still wrong to me dammit

Halycon said:

I know what you meant. :p

Railgun just probably had better staff for the exact reason I mentioned.

Haly

Damn you japaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

I actually liked Railgun until it got repetitive.

Lain

Index 2 will fight with Oreimo for my most loved anime this season. Then I'll check all the other shows and the fight will get fiercer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom