• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Didnt Ducky say these were only ballpark though and not the true figures? Like a higher amount of sales were needed to break even typically or something.

The example in that case was Nichijou which was obviously substantially more expensive to make than a typical anime.

fertygo

Dang, Horizon is still high up there. Guess a season 3 should be coming.

Yeah, but 2ch people afraid there is no more of it.. because the staff team saying this 2,5 year of production is putting a lot strain to them and they want work/focus to another project.

But I'm confident Sunrise will milk it to the death.

duckroll

Didnt Ducky say these were only ballpark though and not the true figures? Like a higher amount of sales were needed to break even typically or something.

No one really knows what the break even point is for any given show. No one in the business will actually come out and say "this show broke even with [x] sales". It's something that is impossible to speculate on without inside data. What we can discuss though, is how much of a success a show is based on what is invested into it. Since we know general budget ballparks, we know on average what is invested into making a series.

The issue is when we can really consider a show a "success". I think 8k is a good starting point. 10k is better. After all, if you put in millions of dollars, and you only make a small profit, that's not successful. People don't go into business just to make their money back. The breakdown of what shows sell at which tiers is actually pretty helpful in looking at how pathetic the anime industry is in terms of returns really.

Yeah, but 2ch people afraid there is no more of it.. because the staff team saying this 2,5 year of production is putting a lot strain to them and they want work/focus to another project.

But I'm confident Sunrise will milk it to the death.

I think Sunrise will probably continue, but not anytime soon. The contract was for a split-cour show anyway, and they delivered on that. Whenever a new contract is agreed on, they will start pre-production. So the next season won't be until some time in 2013 at the earliest. Same with Accel World.

Articalys

Also, last week's music sales if you like that kind of thing

Single CD
*3, 24,886 24,886 Kuroko no Basket Character Song Duet Series vol.3 Shintaro & Kazunari
*4, 17,173 17,173 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 1000% Duet CD Reiji & Ranmaru, Ai & Camus
16, *3,697 15,181 Tiger & Bunny Movie 1: The Beginning "Linear Blue wo Kikinagara"
18, *3,595 *3,595 Sengoku Collection "Darling to Madonna"
23, *3,039 *3,039 Tiger & Bunny Movie 1: The Beginning "Earth Diver"
35, *1,886 75,069 Sword Art Online "crossing field"
36, *1,875 *1,875 Mardock Scramble: The Third Exhaust "Tsubasa"
37, *1,850 45,316 Joshiraku "Nippon Egao Hyakkei"
45, *1,524 25,849 Kuroko no Basket Character Song Duet Sereis vol.2 Tetsuya & Ryota

cajunator

Banned
No one really knows what the break even point is for any given show. No one in the business will actually come out and say "this show broke even with [x] sales". It's something that is impossible to speculate on without inside data. What we can discuss though, is how much of a success a show is based on what is invested into it. Since we know general budget ballparks, we know on average what is invested into making a series.

The issue is when we can really consider a show a "success". I think 8k is a good starting point. 10k is better. After all, if you put in millions of dollars, and you only make a small profit, that's not successful. People don't go into business just to make their money back. The breakdown of what shows sell at which tiers is actually pretty helpful in looking at how pathetic the anime industry is in terms of returns really.

I think Sunrise will probably continue, but not anytime soon. The contract was for a split-cour show anyway, and they delivered on that. Whenever a new contract is agreed on, they will start pre-production. So the next season won't be until some time in 2013 at the earliest. Same with Accel World.

I think 4500+k for a show like joshiraku might be easier to break even on than ,say, if From the New world sells that much. Production budget definitely comes into play here. I guess We really wont ever know.

duckroll

I think 4500+k for a show like joshiraku might be easier to break even on than ,say, if From the New world sells that much. Production budget definitely comes into play here. I guess We really wont ever know.

There are definitely a lot of unknowns. Let's not forget that it's not all about video sales. Licensing and so on can also factor into it. If foreign companies are willing to pay certain prices for the rights of a show, the production committee also recovers their investment that way.

fertygo

Also, last week's music sales if you like that kind of thing

Single CD
*3, 24,886 24,886 Kuroko no Basket Character Song Duet Series vol.3 Shintaro & Kazunari

*4, 17,173 17,173 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 1000% Duet CD Reiji & Ranmaru, Ai & Camus
16, *3,697 15,181 Tiger & Bunny Movie 1: The Beginning "Linear Blue wo Kikinagara"
18, *3,595 *3,595 Sengoku Collection "Darling to Madonna"
23, *3,039 *3,039 Tiger & Bunny Movie 1: The Beginning "Earth Diver"
35, *1,886 75,069 Sword Art Online "crossing field"
36, *1,875 *1,875 Mardock Scramble: The Third Exhaust "Tsubasa"
45, *1,524 25,849 Kuroko no Basket Character Song Duet Sereis vol.2 Tetsuya &
Ryota
this vile thing raking money from all side lol.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I can't really feel anything looking at this. It was supposed to be cute, but for me, it doesn't do anything.
Yeah, what's up with that? People find anything cute these days.

Basically, the animes centered on cuteness feels very cheap for me. So I try to avoid. That's why I don't like Slice of Life normally, unless there's some element there that I really like, like good comedy or parodies.
You do realise slice of life mean literally what it says on the tin. A sitcom about the life of prisoners in HMP Slade could be considered slice of life. No cute girls doing cute things there.

http://youtu.be/Ru5EKWP25FY

well, and things like single CDs are important. You can make money even without high BD/DVD sales - see Squid Girl.

cajunator

Banned
zdxFe.jpg

M...m..m-my heart

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The reason people don't like Light is because he has a full-blown god-complex which serves as his primary reason and he's also a huge fucking hypocrite.
Well he is the villain so technically it's not a bad thing that he isn't likeable.

I'm on the mobile version and don't have avatars enabled
Good. MobGAF is the kryptonite on my avatar.

Blood C is legit good. It just takes until the end to realize why.
Why? Because it was at that point it was clear that the producers put their hands in the air and said "Fuck it"?

duckroll

Why? Because it was at that point it was clear that the producers put their hands in the air and said "Fuck it"?

The producers had nothing to do with it. Blood-C was a pure CLAMP vehicle from start to end. It was exactly what they wanted it to be, and they planned it all out without compromise. Maybe you just don't like what they planned, but I fucking loved it.

BluWacky

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 1

I'm a bit hesitant to say "this is great" at this stage. Perhaps because, unlike Kami-sama Hajimemashita, this didn't do anything to exceed my expectations or put a new spin on anything. It's an attractive and entertaining show, don't get me wrong, and with a lesser team behind it it wouldn't have been as attractive and entertaining, but there isn't that "spark" of originality that I might have been hoping for. I'll definitely watch more, though, and I think my opinion on the show will improve as the cast expands.

Incidentally this is kind of how I felt about Kimi ni Todoke as well - a solid adaptation, but not an exciting one.

I'm also not entirely sure what to make of Shizuku - her feelings about Haru seem to vacillate from scene to scene without much consistency for dramatic purposes. I will, of course, reserve judgement on her until a few more episodes have passed.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's a floating Buddha statue than turns into a praying mantis thing. It was really bad.
Not only was it a stupid design, it was an idiot of a monster as well. Considering these monsters
are meant to be eating people
it was doing fuck all. I'm pretty sure the whole population of the town could have walked past it before it did anything.

However, trashing Saya's singing has officially earned you a place on my list. You're insulting moe perfection.
I think we need an update of everyone's lists.

Watch School Days and be a real AnimeGAFfer.
Well seeing as someone took the Blood-C bullet perhaps I should take this. I know nothing of the show apart from it being notorious amongst you lot.

Blood-C's solution to "plot". Who's left we can kill in a horrible fashion?
But at least
the best girl survived to the end

I wouldn't trust that condom if I were you...
Indeed...

No panic! I have something for her!
350px-fly-swatterhckty.jpg
Get with the times!
EdBYT.jpg

The producers had nothing to do with it. Blood-C was a pure CLAMP vehicle from start to end. It was exactly what they wanted it to be, and they planned it all out without compromise. Maybe you just don't like what they planned, but I fucking loved it.
So that's why the
population of the town suddenly increased by about 1million for the sakes of mass blood shed at the end.

cajunator

Banned
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 1

I'm a bit hesitant to say "this is great" at this stage. Perhaps because, unlike Kami-sama Hajimemashita, this didn't do anything to exceed my expectations or put a new spin on anything. It's an attractive and entertaining show, don't get me wrong, and with a lesser team behind it it wouldn't have been as attractive and entertaining, but there isn't that "spark" of originality that I might have been hoping for. I'll definitely watch more, though, and I think my opinion on the show will improve as the cast expands.

Incidentally this is kind of how I felt about Kimi ni Todoke as well - a solid adaptation, but not an exciting one.

I'm also not entirely sure what to make of Shizuku - her feelings about Haru seem to vacillate from scene to scene without much consistency for dramatic purposes. I will, of course, reserve judgement on her until a few more episodes have passed.

I think Shizuku is acting like we expect her to given how unpredictable and somewhat disconcerting Haru is. He's a very strange guy and not someone you would put absolute trust in. Plus, he made the move on her, possibly not even realizing exactly what he was doing. She still seems extremely unsure about whether she really likes him or not, so I can understand why she's so back and forth about him.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This post is for showing off and provides nothing else of value.

Then again, so few posts in this thread are actually worth reading I don't feel guilty at all.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Contrary to what other anime would have you believe, not everyone in a town goes to school.

But
the town was depicted as a quiet town with not many people. The streets were often deserted apart from a few scattered actors playing their key roles.

fertygo

I'm not sure the main series could ever really work as an anime.

Just Alternative will do. I think some very smart editing can make it work. Seriously its pain me a lot Muv-Luv not have proper anime :( Its will even better than Fate/Zero if the main series got proper adaptation.

Goddamn why its must land to Satelight's hand. I think Kamchatsky arc proving TE's also have good material, shame with the lack of quality from the anime production :(

Just Alternative will do. I think some very smart editing can make it work.

Cutting out most of the the story and jumping right to Alternative would make for a messy and horribly paced story. And even in Alternative, too much of the story is told through internal monologues and naval gazing, it's not something that would translate to an anime.

sonicmj1

But
the town was depicted as a quiet town with not many people. The streets were often deserted apart from a few scattered actors playing their key roles.

The town has a large enough high school to fill multiple classes in a single grade. That means at least a few thousand people live there. If you spread them out enough, it'll seem pretty quiet most of the time.

Grzi

Yes its the only RPG I have EVER played. No Final Fantasy, no Tales games, no Atelier, no CHrono Trigger, No Mother.

Wow, well you should get on that, I think there's a lot of JRPGs which are just made for you.
I know the genre tends to be hated nowadays but I think it's fair to say you've missed out on some amazing games, especially taking their aesthetics into account since you're an anime fan.

fertygo

Cutting out most of the the story and jumping right to Alternative would make for a messy and horribly paced story. And even in Alternative, too much of the story is told through internal monologues and naval gazing, it's not something that would translate to an anime.

I want to believe :(

I think the bolded part just because its being VN though, I'm sure VN version of TE will feel the same. Steins; Gate VN also have more babble and the anime can edit it well.

Well what I had in mind they can treat Extra as kind of vague flashback, n Alternative kinda repeat Unlimited a bit, so I think its can work as long audience know the protag's circumstances.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yes its the only RPG I have EVER played. No Final Fantasy, no Tales games, no Atelier, no CHrono Trigger, No Mother.
You should at least try Chrono Trigger. I think it's the type of RPG you would enjoy the fuck out of.

P.S. Marle is cute, but Ayla > Lucca > Marle

I want to believe :(

I think the bolded part just because its being VN though, I'm sure VN version of TE will feel the same. Steins; Gate VN also have more babble and the anime can edit it well.

Well what I had in mind they can treat Extra as kind of vague flashback, n Alternative kinda repeat Unlimited a bit, so I think its can work as long audience know the protag's circumstances.

The introspection isn't really that bad in the Steins;Gate VN, it's nothing compared to MLA. A better comparison would be something like Chaos;Head, and well, that adaptation didn't work out so well. Cutting out Extra and Unlimited sounds like an easy solution, but the story doesn't work without them and there's no good way to tack that on as a prologue.

cajunator

Banned
Wow, well you should get on that, I think there's a lot of JRPGs which are just made for you.
I know the genre tends to be hated nowadays but I think it's fair to say you've missed out on some amazing games, especially taking their aesthetics into account since you're an anime fan.

The problem is that RPGs just take so long to play.
On top of all the anime Id like to finish, I just dont have the time with 84 hour work weeks.
On my 7 days off obviously I can put a small dent in my backlog every other week but its still slow going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom