• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

The naval gazing isn't really that bad in the Steins;Gate VN, it's nothing compared to MLA. A better comparison would be something like Chaos;Head, and well, that adaptation didn't work out so well. Cutting out Extra and Unlimited sounds like an easy solution, but the story doesn't work without them and there's no good way to tack that on as a prologue.

Well they not trying hard for C;H anime tho.

Again I think its just nature of story-telling in VN/LN, for Example Yuuya's cynicism isn't much different than Shirogane and TE's anime actually have a lot of his naval gazing/babbling to himself, but its worked just fine. Some member at here complain cause that make too much talking happen tho lol

Fate/Zero anime also practically cut ALL the monologue and naval gazing from the source.

Yeah, of course its harder to being done than said.. but kinda blend the all three will work better than straight adaptation if someone can pull it, and for adaptation we shouldn't worry too much if its not played just as like the source.. If just the adaptation can bring the best moment to the fullest its already good enough, many adaptation fail to do just that.

Firemind

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

I'm a bit hesitant to say "this is great" at this stage. Perhaps because, unlike Kami-sama Hajimemashita, this didn't do anything to exceed my expectations or put a new spin on anything. It's an attractive and entertaining show, don't get me wrong, and with a lesser team behind it it wouldn't have been as attractive and entertaining, but there isn't that "spark" of originality that I might have been hoping for. I'll definitely watch more, though, and I think my opinion on the show will improve as the cast expands.

Incidentally this is kind of how I felt about Kimi ni Todoke as well - a solid adaptation, but not an exciting one.

I'm also not entirely sure what to make of Shizuku - her feelings about Haru seem to vacillate from scene to scene without much consistency for dramatic purposes. I will, of course, reserve judgement on her until a few more episodes have passed.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and Kimi ni Todoke are nothing alike. I have to politely ask you to stop blemishing this immaculate marvel and respectable name of Brains Base, good sir!

fertygo

The problem is that RPGs just take so long to play.
On top of all the anime Id like to finish, I just dont have the time with 84 hour work weeks.
On my 7 days off obviously I can put a small dent in my backlog every other week but its still slow going.

That why there's more JRPG for handheld than console now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The problem is that RPGs just take so long to play.
On top of all the anime Id like to finish, I just dont have the time with 84 hour work weeks.
On my 7 days off obviously I can put a small dent in my backlog every other week but its still slow going.
Chrono Trigger is probably 16 hours tops on a first-run playthrough.

cajunator

Banned
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and Kimi ni Todoke are nothing alike. I have to politely ask you to stop blemishing this immaculate marvel and respectable name of Brains Base, good sir!

It seems to me more like Kare Kano and Toradora the way the characters behave.

BluWacky

It seems to me more like Kare Kano and Toradora the way the characters behave.

There's a lot that's reminiscent of KareKano in the storyline, mostly because of the academic competitiveness (although Shizuku is nowhere near as entertaining a main character as Yukino was in KareKano).

I really wasn't talking about the storyline, though, when I said there were similarities - I meant the production values and treatment of the source material.

Dresden

Tonari no kaibutsu kun - 01

Good art, great vibrant color design, outstanding production overall. The pacing is fast but it works for the most part, even if the way their relationship sped forward felt a bit abrupt at times. It was pretty good; I enjoyed most of it and the part that I didn't like . . . or rather, the character that I didn't like . . .

aHlbV.jpg

Most annoying Haru of the year. Tsuritama's Haru had the handicap of having Miyu Irino voicing him but even with that disadvantage, Yoshida Haru takes the lead with his brand of "charming" quirkiness. I guess being an overly violent creeper is fine if you're cute with a heart of gold. That, of course, only the main girl sees at first. Because she just can. She's in love. Even when they're thirty years old with three kids in some Japanese equivalent of a trailer park and he's beating her face in, she will see it. Because it's love.

Shizuku is a fun character otherwise, though.

cajunator

Banned
Tonari no kaibutsu kun - 01

Good art, great vibrant color design, outstanding production overall. The pacing is fast but it works for the most part, even if the way their relationship sped forward felt a bit abrupt at times. It was pretty good; I enjoyed most of it and the part that I didn't like . . . or rather, the character that I didn't like . . .

aHlbV.jpg

Most annoying Haru of the year. Tsuritama's Haru had the handicap of having Miyu Irino voicing him but even with that disadvantage, Yoshida Haru takes the lead with his brand of "charming" quirkiness. I guess being an overly violent creeper is fine if you're cute with a heart of gold. That, of course, only the main girl sees at first. Because she just can. She's in love. Even when they're thirty years old with three kids in some Japanese equivalent of a trailer park and he's beating her face in, she will see it. Because it's love.

Shizuku is a fun character otherwise, though.

I kind of mentioned that. He's a total social failure, but it doesn't excuse the semi-abusive behavior he seems to engage in with regards to Shizuku. Most girls would probably run the fuck away from a guy like that, but there is definitely a protective side to him. I'm not so sure his abusiveness is really that intentional. He's like one of those super strong guys in movies that destroys shit but doesn't mean to. The problem is that means they still destroy shit. how it goes from here will depend on very careful writing and execution. This can be very easy to get wrong.

Thoraxes

Kotaku Anime Review: Accel World Starts Strong, But Ends Wrong

Final Thoughts
The beginning of Accel World is amazing: the first five episodes might be one of the best world-building introductions in anime history. And it continues strong until the midway point—before spending its remaining time on a story arc that, while not totally irredeemable, pales in comparison to the first half. However, despite its shortcomings, the first thing I did after finishing the series was head out to my local game store to buy the new Accel World PS3 game (with OVA episode)—at eleven o'clock at night. I think that action really speaks for itself.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I don't understand... be it games or anime, you guys seems to hate Kotaku. But still quote them whenever you can. WTF!?

We like to remind ourselves that no matter how bad our taste is, there's someone out there with worse taste. :p

cajunator

Banned

wonzo

Banned
Kotaku Anime Review: Accel World Starts Strong, But Ends Wrong
Final Thoughts
The beginning of Accel World is amazing: the first five episodes might be one of the best world-building introductions in anime history. And it continues strong until the midway point—before spending its remaining time on a story arc that, while not totally irredeemable, pales in comparison to the first half. However, despite its shortcomings, the first thing I did after finishing the series was head out to my local game store to buy the new Accel World PS3 game (with OVA episode)—at eleven o'clock at night. I think that action really speaks for itself.
It really is as if Kotaku and ANN are competing in some kinda competition in one upping each other by saying some really stupid shit.

duckroll

Gyrozetter - Episode 1

This is 500% a pure unadulterated kids cartoon. The entire setting and premise is kid-focused. There is new technology in the world which allows children to be trained in driving AI-assisted cars. There's an entire school academy in this city dedicated to that focus! The academy also doubles as a secret defense agency! The main character is a gung-ho kid who loves to show off his driving skillz and loves pro-wrestling! He is selected to pilot the transformable robot-car test machine! There is an evil organization out to cause trouble! There's an ancient prophecy involved in all this secret advanced tech! Loool!

gD0iB.jpg

That said, this is surprising enjoyable if you approach it from the kids cartoon angle. It's not super amazing or anything, but there's some charm in how honest it is about what it is. The most disturbing thing about this show is how much CG there is, and how bad most of it is. Much like the horror of Kingdom which wonzo shares with us each week, I would reckon a significant percentage of the show has CG somewhere in the scene. There are many CG backgrounds, all the cars are CG, and this is a show about cars, so there are cars in almost every scene!

3Dh8I.jpg

Oh and here's the best part: The ending is a totally crazy Precure style motion captured full CG ED sequence where all the 5 main mechs are dancing to the beat of the music. No, I'm not kidding. Dancing mechs. Full CG. Motion captured. Lots of moves too. It's nuts. Lol.

Dbxkm.jpg

Weekly Sales Rankings for September 24-30:

Blu-ray
*2, **7,082 **7,082 Hyouka vol.4 Limited Edition
*4, **6,601 **6,601 Accel World vol.3 Limited Edition
*8, **4,567 **4,567 Guilty Crown vol.9 Limited Edition
10, **4,024 **4,024 Aquarion Evol vol.6
13, **3,351 *21,176 Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon II vol.1 Limited Edition

DVD
*2, *,**3,536 *,**3,536 Hakuouki Reimeiroku vol.1 Limited Edition
*3, *,**3,156 *,*10,810 Kuroko no Basket vol.3
*6, *,**2,228 *,**2,228 Arcana Famiglia vol.1 Limited Edition
*7, *,**2,069 *,**2,069 Bleach Shingami Daiko Shoshitsu Hen vol.2
*8, *,**1,478 *,**1,478 Accel World vol.3 Limited Edition
*9, *,**1,464 *,**1,464 Tsuritama vol.4 Limited Edition
11, *,**1,321 *,**1,321 Guilty Crown vol.9 Limited Edition
13, *,**1,196 *,**1,196 Aquarion Evol vol.6
19, *,**1,007 *,**1,007 Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate vol.1 Limited Edition
24, *,***,685 *,***,685 Kimi to Boku. 2 vol.4 Limited Edition

I thought Arcana Famiglia would do less than that, I guess that puts it already more than Hiiro no Kakera.

Surprised Horizon 2 didnt even with an S3 announcement like S1 did.

Gonna watch Welcome to the NHK, what does AnimeGAF think?

Sato and Kaoru have such a great friendship that it is a good part of the anime, the main female character unfortunately ruins it so much and its tone is not really enjoyable, so I thought the anime just wasnt any good at all.

wonzo

Banned
Gyrozetter - Episode 1

This is 500% a pure unadulterated kids cartoon. The entire setting and premise is kid-focused. There is new technology in the world which allows children to be trained in driving AI-assisted cars. There's an entire school academy in this city dedicated to that focus! The academy also doubles as a secret defense agency! The main character is a gung-ho kid who loves to show off his driving skillz and loves pro-wrestling! He is selected to pilot the transformable robot-car test machine! There is an evil organization out to cause trouble! There's an ancient prophecy involved in all this secret advanced tech! Loool!

gD0iB.jpg

That said, this is surprising enjoyable if you approach it from the kids cartoon angle. It's not super amazing or anything, but there's some charm in how honest it is about what it is. The most disturbing thing about this show is how much CG there is, and how bad most of it is. Much like the horror of Kingdom which wonzo shares with us each week, I would reckon a significant percentage of the show has CG somewhere in the scene. There are many CG backgrounds, all the cars are CG, and this is a show about cars, so there are cars in almost every scene!

3Dh8I.jpg

Oh and here's the best part: The ending is a totally crazy Precure style motion captured full CG ED sequence where all the 5 main mechs are dancing to the beat of the music. No, I'm not kidding. Dancing mechs. Full CG. Motion captured. Lots of moves too. It's nuts. Lol.

Dbxkm.jpg
hxhr35aa.jpg

i know what i'll be watching this season

cajunator

Banned
Gyrozetter - Episode 1

gD0iB.jpg

3Dh8I.jpg

Dbxkm.jpg

I might have to check this out just for the ED.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Gyrozetter - Episode 1

Dbxkm.jpg

Hell yes!

Jex

Gyrozetter - Episode 1
[...]
Going out to motion capture mecha really shows a commitment to the cause. I can't imagine most mo-cap studios have room for mechas.

Jex

[...]
Since Akito is a Japanese anime production intended for a Japanese audience, created by Japanese staff, it is not really that surprising that their viewpoint would be extremely Japanese in nature. So even when they are dealing with a story which supposedly takes place in Europe, and the refugees are Japanese, while the country in question are filled with Europeans (which in this case seems to basically be Generic White People), their perspective of how refugees of a different ethnic group would be treated is based on their personal view of how a situation like this would play out in Japan.

I think this makes the most sense. Giving non-Japanese characters Japanese 'tendencies' isn't exactly an unheard of problem with writing in anime.

Naruto SD 27
tumblr_mb9nxeDoOo1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Second Skit was hilarious, I want the Leaf Strawman rangers to return, so many funny moments. The new OP is not good. Why would a slow song be chosen to open an anime? The new ED is good, finally can see SD Akatsuki and the song is decent.

cjkeats

Finished Clannad and After Story this weekend. I'll try and keep it short, as I'm sure this was talked about to death in older threads.

The rest of Clannad was kind of...uneventful? I mean not much happens other than
Tomoya and Nagisa officially making it official
Kotomi's arc just kind of happens for the sake of drama happening, and after it she basically becomes background. At least we get some character development from the rest of the gang, but none of that matters either because in After Story and
everyone pretty much disappears

After Story was fantastic, but took forever to really get going.
The first arc with Mei and Youhei was pretty decent, lots of funny parts, and the arc with cat lady seems awfully familiar.

Anyways, it finally picks up when the
proposal
happens. Funny thing about that was that by that point they still haven't even
kissed. It may have happened off camera, but that seems like something they'd make a big deal about isn't it? Considering that next thing you know, she's pregnant

Moving on. I could see
her death
coming from a mile away, but that didn't make it any less depressing. The water works never really started for me until episode 18 when
Ushio asks about her mother

The ending was satisfying enough for me. I assume the whole
retconing time travel thing was a way to include the bad ending to the VN, much like the episode of Persona 4 where Yu had his illusion of the bad end

The "Another World" bonus episodes left a lot to be desired. They were too short to really explore the "what if?" scenarios they created.

Something that surpasses the Overman King Gainer OP? I must watch this.

So, that was both what I was and wasn't expecting. It was weird to have run this whole time without the vampire connection, and that wrap-up certainly brought it. I mean, it was clear from the beginning something was up with Saya's character, and that something was kind of obvious having seen both Blood:TLV and Blood+. It's just kind of weird the series amounted to so little. The
government experiment
angle definitely makes other pieces of the series make much more sense.

It's just weird that, in the end, the series wasn't about what we spent 9/12 episodes on. We still received zero explanation of the monsters or even a concrete set of rules for which they worked. I guess there's nothing wrong with that, but very strange. Also, it just sort of ends.

Just for some context: Blood-C was made by people who hate you, your family, your dog, that nice old lady who feeds pigeons at the park, America, Japan, kittens, and everything else in the world. They would like nothing more than to see you die a horrible death just because you dared to exist. Hope that put everything in context.

My Little Monster 1

A lot has already been said here, and I certainly agree with the overwhelmingly positive impressions. I really liked the faster pace here...I wonder if that is something that will be sustained over the series' run. Great characters and great art as well. Certainly looking forward to more.

I've also watched through the first 8 episodes of Fantastic Children. I'm going to wait a few more episodes (or possibly the end) to give more detailed impressions, but suffice to say I'm greatly enjoying it. I loooooove the OP and ED themes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom