• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

From the New World airs on crunchyroll in 2 and a half hours, I guess I should get the thread up before then.

It would help if everyone who's seen the first episode can link to the impressions they posted in this thread.

I'm a nobody but here if you still want.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42699163&postcount=2728

Tonari 1

I really liked the pacing of the episode, so much happened in one episode and didn't feel rushed anywhere to me, it was very exciting throughout unlike what I thought before hand. The characters might be unrealistic and their relationship not very convincing yet but for a comedy show they work very well. I guess I will watch this too, damn it >.<

Jex

[Cross Game] - 18

As far as I can tell either a different team have taken over both the background art and character animation for this series or else the budget has been raised substantially because this show no longer looks like utter shite. The changes are many and varies and perhaps explain why people were confused earlier when I was absolutely slating the show:

- A number of really awkward CG elements are no longer present. Baseballs are now 2D rather art than CG models.

- The frame rate issue, where certain sequences would move at double the frame rate of others and look unnaturally smooth, has been fixed completely. I don't even know how it happened because I've never seen it before.

- The background art has been completely reworked. It used to look like this:

CrossGame6_zps2c56ce12.jpg

where everything looked flat and fake Now the backgrounds and objects within them have depth and definition.

- Lighting has been improved substantially as has the colour scheme in general.

- Character animation has improved substantially. It now looks average. Baseball pitches used to have 5 frames of a pitcher pulling their arm back followed by a cut to CG ball flying through the air, in other words they never actually bothered animating a full pitch. Now they'll do several complete pitches an episode, even if they are mainly examples of 'bank animation' (e.g. reused animation).

It's quite a substantial improvement.

cajunator

Banned
The Gyrozetter ED is up on YouTube. It is indeed incredible as advertised.

That delivered on the promise. No need to watch the show then!
Looks amazing and expensive.

Some scans from Dengeki G and the finalized cover of SAO: Progressive.

Kuroyukihime
To Aru Majutsu no Index cast
Dengeki G Cover

Nice pictures. Thanks.

Yes. Failed projects can be retooled and resubmitted.

That's good to know, because projects like this may take some grassroots supporting to get going.

Akane is definitely going to be the best.

From the New World 1

This episode has been covered thoroughly by others, so my impressions will be brief.
This was a strong opener and I hope the show can maintain this atmosphere throughout.

Also I'd like to ask others that have watched it:
the scene where Saki has her Cantus sealed and burned along with the human emblem. Was this simply an act of displaying power over her regarding a tone akin to, "We (or the gods) can give and take away"?

The moment she is able to move the flames freely, you see joy in her eyes.
This emotion is quickly distinguished as secular pleasure by Mushin and afterwards extinguished. That is followed immediately by an offer to gain Cantus once more through his hands and teaching.

It's near the very start, but was a neat introduction to the theme of manipulation throughout the episode.

The show has this very tense feeling of uneasiness about it. all the manipulation and control seems extremely suspicious and downright terrifying.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
That delivered on the promise. No need to watch the show then!
Looks amazing and expensive.

Nice pictures. Thanks.

That's good to know, because projects like this may take some grassroots supporting to get going.

Akane is definitely going to be the best.

The show has this very tense feeling of uneasiness about it. all the manipulation and control seems extremely suspicious and downright terrifying.

Anything for you cajun.

cajunator

Banned
Yes I did. Also, wait until more shows start. It'll get worse.

Oh it will get much much worse. Or better depending on your perspectives.

CG IS THE FUTURE!! In all seriousness, CG can always look worse. I mean... look at SAO.

CG overusage is definitely starting to get concerning.

Tis very true. I mean... duckroll was sad that he had to ban me.

We are all sad when mascot-kun is gone.

Space Brothers 24-26

This show is still charming as ever.

Still the best show of the year.

cajunator

Banned
From the New World airs on crunchyroll in 2 and a half hours, I guess I should get the thread up before then.

It would help if everyone who's seen the first episode can link to the impressions they posted in this thread.

I didn't post anything analytical as usual.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42692052&postcount=2583

Its been discussed a bit more over the next pages though. Im going to attempt more thorough analysis of things if I can but Im not very good at it.

yami4ct

That was a huge step down.
Moe Saya is part of why Blood-C worked.
It throws everybody off guard.

I hated everything about the design, but I hated every character design in that show. It just did not sit right with me at all. I understand why it was that way, but that didn't do much to sell me on it.

Jex

FUUMMIIITOOOOOOOOOO

I must hand it to Nana Mizuki, her FUMITOO scream is a worthy equal to a giant robot attack shuot. That's not easy to do! From what I understand, doing those incredibly harsh shouts has actually damaged the vocal cords of many a mecha-pilot's voice actor.

yami4ct

Weird thing I noticed while watching One Piece. Every time it get's a new theme, I go through the same process. At first, I absolutely hate it. It then proceeds to grow on me over subsequent episodes. By the time I actually like it, the show changes it up. Basically, the show puts me in a constant state of hating the theme song, haha.

Weird thing I noticed while watching One Piece. Every time it get's a new theme, I go through the same process. At first, I absolutely hate it. It then proceeds to grow on me over subsequent episodes. By the time I actually li it, the show changes it up. Basically, the show puts me in a constant state of hating the theme song, haha.

You should listen to the eng dubs of the themes. Some I never not hate, some are litrally Karaoke quality.

Jex

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 1

I'm also not entirely sure what to make of Shizuku - her feelings about Haru seem to vacillate from scene to scene without much consistency for dramatic purposes. I will, of course, reserve judgement on her until a few more episodes have passed.

I don't find Shizuku's indecisiveness regarding her own feelings to be particularly unrealistic. It doesn't feel especially contrived, given her situation. It's explicitly stated that she's a loner who doesn't interact with others that often which goes towards a little way towards explaining why she acts as she does which is why I don't find it to be especially contrived.

Kagami

Also, last week's music sales if you like that kind of thing

Single CD
36, *1,875 *1,875 Mardock Scramble: The Third Exhaust "Tsubasa"
Wheee I bought that one.
Actually seems kind of low for a Hayashibara CD, but I dunno what her fandom is like these days.

jman2050

I don't find Shizuku's indecisiveness regarding her own feelings to be particularly unrealistic. It doesn't feel especially contrived, given her situation. It's explicitly stated that she's a loner who doesn't interact with others that often which goes towards a little way towards explaining why she acts as she does which is why I don't find it to be especially contrived.

She's getting showered with attention by a guy for the first time in possibly ever and she doesn't know how to respond.

Nothing seems particularly out of place there.

yami4ct

Here's a good example of a japanese opening theme and the english version. Funnily enough, the original song has engrish already so it minimizes the effect.

Kiddy Grade OP

English version

I actually think they did a good job with this.

As for One Piece, I only know about one of the more famous openings, that I actually really like. The hilarious thing is that it was originally a Eurodance song, followed by the Japanese cover, so the evolution was backwards.

We Are (original and Strawhat version) are the only one piece openings I really have an attachment to. The others range from pretty terrible to listenable.

I will never understand dubbing over a theme song for a show that's not on children's TV. For a TV edition of One Piece, I would get it. For the DVDs, I just don't understand.

-Minsc-

Still the best show of the year.

You know, there are obviously youngsters out there who would find Space Bros. boring. It would be interesting to see how their impression of the show would change after maturing a decade. The show really is the true definition of "mature".

Edit: Though Mutta certainly has room to mature. :p

cajunator

Banned

Shizuku herself is kind of maladjusted so its not out of the realm of believeability for her to be attracted to that guy.

We Are (original and Strawhat version) are the only one piece openings I really have an attachment to. The others range from pretty terrible to listenable.

I will never understand dubbing over a theme song for a show that's not on children's TV. For a TV edition of One Piece, I would get it. For the DVDs, I just don't understand.

As for One Piece, I only know about one of the more famous openings, that I actually really like. The hilarious thing is that it was originally a Eurodance song, followed by the Japanese cover, so the evolution was backwards.

Folder5 - Believe

Lolita - Dreaming of You

But THEN it was dubbed AGAIN into a US version for 4kids
Meredith McCoy/4Kids - Believe

Naturally, the weeaboos cried foul about the Euro english version when in fact the Japanese was the follower this time lol

That hooks in with a major theme of the series - loners and social misfits gradually learning what it means to be a friend.

yami4ct

Shizuku herself is kind of maladjusted so its not out of the realm of believeability for her to be attracted to that guy.

Folder5 - Believe

Lolita - Dreaming of You

Naturally, the weeaboos cried foul about the Euro english version when in fact the Japanese was the follower this time lol.

Never heard that, I barely have payed any attention to any One Piece "controversies". That's hilarious.

well, if she is truly a loner she would not accept everything so instantly. She was a passive plot device in the first episode.

Branduil

I'm just about ready to post the From the New World thread, just waiting for duckroll or Hitokage to get on GAF so I can reserve the first couple of replies for stuff.

Stoof

Weird thing I noticed while watching One Piece. Every time it get's a new theme, I go through the same process. At first, I absolutely hate it. It then proceeds to grow on me over subsequent episodes. By the time I actually like it, the show changes it up. Basically, the show puts me in a constant state of hating the theme song, haha.

I enjoy the last few OPs more than the earlier ones, but that might only be me.

cajunator

Banned
well, if she is truly a loner she would not accept everything so instantly. She was a passive plot device in the first episode.

Not really. there were a couple of times she barely wanted anything to do with the guy. she nearly ran away from him for good. Her actions seemed pretty understandable given how strange the guy is originally.

yami4ct

I enjoy the last few OPs more than the earlier ones, but that might only be me.

The one I'm currently on, "Share the World", sounds kind of like an awful boy band song. I will admit, there have been more hits than misses lately. Hope that trend continues.

cajunator

Banned
The one I'm currently on, "Share the World", sounds kind of like an awful boy band song. I will admit, there have been more hits than misses lately. Hope that trend continues.

That One Piece song that I posted is really the only I like particularly.
More anime OPs should be derived from eurodance. The two genres are so close anyway in sounds and bpm.

Jex

I feel like you're kind of making an unfair caricature of her actions during the first episode. She reacts to the various situations that she's placed in a number of ways - they're not all "passive" in nature. Sometimes she goes with the flow, other times she rejects the options that she's faced with.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Loners are not too great at confrontation. You saw how nervous she was when she stood up for Haru.

Also see: Various GAF depresson/girl-age threads.

Ive grown attached to the english dub version of We Are, I can never like listening to the JPN version, it just sounds way less awesome and weaker.

I think Id take a dub over a complete replacement of the theme by garage band xyz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom