• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Magi] - 8

Most of this episode was devoted a to a long flashback which might have worked if the show had done anything, anything at all, to make me feel for the characters and their situation. However, it didn't. This is a problem because then I'm just watching people I don't care about do things - which is boring. Unfortunate, but there you have it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Dragonite reminds me of how much cooler Hyper Beam was in the show than in the games. Please tell me that Pokemon in the anime still use Hyper Beam and that it hasn't just been swept under the rug for being a Gen 1 move.

He's so badass he doesn't need to be.

He's overcompensating because he'll never be able to live down the shame of having once been a Magikarp. Dragonite don't got a thing to hide from anyone.

yami4ct

Fate/Zero 01-03

Well, that was interesting. There are a lot of cool aspects here. I really like the world they've set up and the rules for what's going forward. The problem is, that's really all that's been done. There is way too much set-up and unexplained technical jargon. Ultimately, it's good but leaving me a bit cold. I've yet to really connect with any of the characters. Rider is the only one I've taken a real liking to. Other than that, I dislike them or just don't really feel anything.

I can't help but compare this to Blast of Tempest. It's kind of got the same issues. It looks good, but the characters aren't all that interesting. Because of that, it makes it hard to get attached. Zero's characters are better than Blast's, but Blast looks markedly better so it's a wash.

Speaking of Zero's look, boy is the animation inconsistent. Sometimes it looks really good. Others not so much. The first episode looked down right bad at times. Also, those CG cars might just be the worst CG I've seen this year.

Overall, I expect it to get better. Even so, unless something crazy happens, I just don't see it bumping Space Brothers and Hunter x Hunter from my 1 and 2 slots on my AotY list.

I kinda want to see this! Is it more moe than the Chikorita in Johto?

It was quite tsundere near the end, but too early to see.

Dragonite reminds me of how much cooler Hyper Beam was in the show than in the games. Please tell me that Pokemon in the anime still use Hyper Beam and that it hasn't just been swept under the rug for being a Gen 1 move.

Hyper Beam has pretty much been a move wild Pokemon will use in order to shoo away trainers. It is the Beedrill swarm of Pokemon moves. Or it is a generic beam spam.

Soma

A few weeks ago I caught the second half of one of the latest movies with some friends and (I can't remember which) one pokemon was charging up their hyper beam at some point. As it was charging up we were trying to remember what color the beam was.

Me - "I'm pretty sure it was white"
Friend #1 - "Nah it was red"
Friend #2 - "Didn't it have like a yellowish tint to it"

*ON SCREEN HYPER BEAM*

"Hey I told you it was whi- HOLY SHIT IT'S MULTI-COLORED WHAT THE FUCK"

trejo

Psycho Pass 7

It feels like I'm becoming more and more disenfranchised from the rest of animegaf because I'm having trouble figuring out what the deal breaker was in this episode. More backstory, more villain motivations and more shirtless manservice are most certainly not bad things in my book.

Chalk one up to diminished expectations, I guess.

Robotics; Notes 7

I was having a hard time coming to terms with all the serious plot elements that kept being introduced into my lighthearted hobby robot action show but as of this episode I am starting to finally warm up to them. That is to say, things are finally starting to get pretty interesting.

And again, Fraukojiro is the best damn character in this show.

Articalys

Robotics; Notes 7

I was having a hard time coming to terms with all the serious plot elements that kept being introduced into my lighthearted hobby robot action show but as of this episode I am starting to finally warm up to them. That is to say, things are finally starting to get pretty interesting.

And again, Fraukojiro is the best damn character in this show.
7K0d7.gif

Jex

Fate/Zero 01-03

Well, that was interesting. There are a lot of cool aspects here. I really like the world they've set up and the rules for what's going forward. The problem is, that's really all that's been done. There is way too much set-up and unexplained technical jargon. Ultimately, it's good but leaving me a bit cold. I've yet to really connect with any of the characters. Rider is the only one I've taken a real liking to. Other than that, I dislike them or just don't really feel anything.

[...]

Speaking of Zero's look, boy is the animation inconsistent. Sometimes it looks really good. Others not so much. The first episode looked down right bad at times. Also, those CG cars might just be the worst CG I've seen this year.

The worst is yet to come :(

CorvoSol

Majora's Mask 18 Okay, so even though I still think that Nia is an unrepentant Mary Sue, I cannot in good faith continue to believe that the guys behind the show don't realize that, given the direction they've taken her.

What I'm really wanting to say here is that my opinion of her has softened, if only because I am very much a sucker for the
hijacked love interest plot
. Also I kind of like Rossio. I mean, he's becoming exactly what he hated, but it's sort of interesting to watch, because it's well done. His actions always have a clear and fair point.

The revelation that
His chieftain and the Spiral King were not so different, and that he and Simon and the Spiral King are now not so different is also a nice twist. Also, the revelation that the Spiral King dressed like Kamina, Kamina's dad, and Simon at one point is especially interesting.

So, 18 episodes in, though I understand that there are some heart-breaks for me here, I'm officially completely sold on Gurren Lagann.

Branduil

Nah, it's not like that at all. Her head's a little long, but it isn't nearly as bad as it looks. Heads have sides and tops. Here, I did a little thing:

The hair adds a tiny bit of height, but on second glance, it does look a little strange. It's probably because of the that stupid ghost-shaped hair cut that she has.

This is a useful post but I don't know if it's going to get through to someone who calls them KyoAnus.

Although of all the things to criticize KyoAni for, their drawing skills seems a silly choice.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hyper Beam has pretty much been a move wild Pokemon will use in order to shoo away trainers. It is the Beedrill swarm of Pokemon moves. Or it is a generic beam spam.

The bastards diluted it.

It used to be so special, too; basically the Genki Dama of Pokemon attacks.

yami4ct

Fate/Zero 04
Ok, I officially missing something here. Why does everyone think this is by far the number 1 or 2 show of the year? I thought I'd have some insight once I saw the first real fight. Had I seen this before Blast of Tempest, I may have been impressed. It looked good, but nothing fantastic. Still, any use of CG in this show is horrendous. I like it, but top of the year it misses by quite a bit so far.

Branduil

Fate/Zero 01-03

I can't help but compare this to Blast of Tempest. It's kind of got the same issues. It looks good, but the characters aren't all that interesting. Because of that, it makes it hard to get attached. Zero's characters are better than Blast's, but Blast looks markedly better so it's a wash.

Overall, I expect it to get better. Even so, unless something crazy happens, I just don't see it bumping Space Brothers and Hunter x Hunter from my 1 and 2 slots on my AotY list.

You haven't even seen the worst CGI yet.

ibhkyMbZxI6txZ.gif

And Berserker.

The show itself improves, though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dragonite is kind of derp. Dragonair is really cool though.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Fate/Zero 04
Ok, I officially missing something here. Why does everyone think this is by far the number 1 or 2 show of the year? I thought I'd have some insight once I saw the first real fight. Had I seen this before Blast of Tempest, I may have been impressed. It looked good, but nothing fantastic. Still, any use of CG in this show is horrendous. I like it, but top of the year it misses by quite a bit so far.

I think I'm probably one of the only people who didn't like it. I found two or three episodes to be superb, and the rest I found shallow. I'd recommend finishing it to form your own opinion though. There were still a few memorable moments, especially in the second half.

The revelation that
His chieftain and the Spiral King were not so different, and that he and Simon and the Spiral King are now not so different is also a nice twist. Also, the revelation that the Spiral King dressed like Kamina, Kamina's dad, and Simon at one point is especially interesting.

Yeah, that's why Lordgenome is such an awesome character. I've always been fond of "failed" versions of protagonists. Makes for a good foil.

You should watch Parallel Works 8 when you're done with the series to see him being all badass in his youth.

OceanBlue

Dragonite is kind of derp. Dragonair is really cool though.

Dragonair is the only dragon-type Pokemon I can think of as majestic. All of the others look too rough and intimidating (except for Dragonite, who just looks kinda goofy). Kingdra and Flygon are pretty cool though.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Fate/Zero 04

Quoting cuz I'm waiting for duckroll to respond to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom