• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He couldn't get a permaban for such innocuous trolling, could he? I hope not. I may disagree with him on occasion, but I'll miss him the same.

It was pretty drive-by, and had pretty much no relevance to the thread he posted in. I don't think it was really innocuous, given the circumstances. But that would be a really shitty way to go.

At that point, I'd hope one would be taking the opinion of someone they trust though so they could feel confident about the decision.

Sure. I think it's important to take opinions from people you trust, or at least trust on certain topics. I wouldn't avoid something just because Joe Forumposter says it sucks, but if 5-10 people whose opinions I put stock in are all universally panning something, and a cursory glance seems pretty bad, that might be enough for me to go 'hmm, maybe not'.

OceanBlue

Narutaru could be a possibility. Certainly starts out cute and gets REALLY fucked up later.
I honestly cant think of many shows that do that other than higurashi though.
Most fucked up shows dont hide under a facade of cute.
Narutaru has one scene where
a girl fucking her BF gets a claw in her vagina and then ripped in half
. Yeah its that kind of show.

There you go! Maedhros, you should watch Narutaru.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
He couldn't get a permaban for such innocuous trolling, could he? I hope not. I may disagree with him on occasion, but I'll miss him the same.

The big cheese of NeoGAF singled him out to make a statement. That's usually not a good sign :(

Maedhros

You mean the "60fps guys" who demand something that makes games objectively better? Well, that's good company. Thank you.

Most of the people can't really say the difference between 30 and 60FPS. Sorry, but it's just the way the world is. Personally, I don't care if a game is 30 or 60FPS, it doesn't make the game any better.

God, there are people who can't even see framedrops. It just happened to me this weekend. I was watching Chihiro with my girlfriend. It was a fucking .avi file (not even HD resolution), but with the worst compression I've ever seen in my fucking life, playing on a 50" LED HDTV. She didn't even thought there was a problem... LOL. Her brothers were the same.

Then I showed her a Full HD movie. Do you know the first thing they noticed? "WOW, it fully stretched on the TV, so beautiful". I asked if she noticed the difference in the animation of the movie, the frames. Just when I showed to her, side to side, that she actually noticed the difference. God, if it wasn't enough seeing Chihiro running like a fucking slideshow... it was dubbed. Ugh.

I'm sure there's a lot of people like her out there. PEOPLE.DONT.CARE. We're enthusiasts.

Maedhros

Narutaru could be a possibility. Certainly starts out cute and gets REALLY fucked up later.

Holy shit... Will watch on the next season. Higurashi too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pet Girl 8

sZBdxl.jpg

Best philosophy!

gN7hFl.jpg

I'm curious - is that a CG reflection?

Anyhow, a bit of a boring episode if only because it's a
rehash of the first arc.
It feels like it's spinning its wheels at this point anyway, because of course they're going to draw out the Kanna'ing of the Kanna-stand-in for as long as possible.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Most of the people can't really say the difference between 30 and 60FPS. Sorry, but it's just the way the world is. Personally, I don't care if a game is 30 or 60FPS, it doesn't make the game any better.
[...]
PEOPLE.DONT.CARE.
It makes the game objectively better. Higher framerate means the game is more responsive to your inputs. It's not debatable. It also gives games a higher temporal resolution on the graphics end. You should care if a game is 30 or 60.

It doesn't matter what "most people" notice or not. Technical facts are technical facts, and everyone should respect them.

Branduil

Case and point. I bet a lot of SAO fans think that show's really smart.

Well I'm sure there's plenty of overlap between those two fansbases. On that note:

Sword Art Online 6

iE5TgL0vVN6tM.jpg

Nothing says "romance" like pooled digital resources.

Did I seriously just watch an author tract about treating women like objects from Reki Kawahara. How can he write this with a straight face?
Love the ghost showing up at the end just to increase the nonsense quotient.

Sword Art Online 7

Terrible CGI dragons, go!

This is the happiest I've felt while watching this show. I hope she never finds love and her business goes under because she just lets people break her swords without paying for them.

Sword Art Online 8

Boring pointless episode.

Sword Art Online 9

iSseafyxLQLzc.jpg

Of course.

I like how Kirito
lets two people die because he doesn't want to reveal his super secret skill.
It really reinforces the fact that he's actually a bad, self-absorbed person. In other words a perfect Gary Stu.

Sword Art Online 10

iPSRXOnfL1uxv.jpg

This guy was a moron and deserved to die.

iP7Q3YqBwb6KZ.gif

Sword Art Online 11

This is Elfen Lied bad.

Sword Art Online 12

ibjMIfYc5m9jzv.gif

I've never seen a show so disgustingly self-congratulatory before. I have to give Kawahara credit for taking the Mary Sue tropes to levels never before seen in popular fiction.

I can't believe this show had the gall to complain about the objectification of women when
the hero can literally turn females into objects.

Sword Art Online 13

Yawn.

Sword Art Online 14

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Pet Girl of Sakurasou 8
tumblr_me4m02bmO61qbxqfpo1_500.png

Perhaps Im too attached to Sorata, but this episode made me cry and then laugh mere moments later, best one of the season so far.
Why cant everyone in this get something good and happy to happen to them, with Sorata, I think thats at least everyone has failed so far at their first attempt at something major? (Jin had something I think, and the voice actor had something way back at the start?) Anyway really sad for Sorata when he mind blanked and was stuttering and such, hope he gets another attempt at pursuing his dream :( I like happy stories

Pool part was amazing, Sorata's wardrobe malfunction and hanabi.

Soma

Sword Art Online 14

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's right about where I called it quits.

Never looked back since then.

cajunator

Banned
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Narutaru. Hell, there's a whole trope for this.

Yup.

Dai Mahou Touge aka Magical witch Punie Chan is a supercute and fucked up show but for different reasons. It is quite hilarious and fun. I highly recommend that one especially since its short.

Well I'm sure there's plenty of overlap between those two fansbases. On that note:

Sword Art Online 6

Did I seriously just watch an author tract about treating women like objects from Reki Kawahara. How can he write this with a straight face?
Love the ghost showing up at the end just to increase the nonsense quotient.

Sword Art Online 7

Terrible CGI dragons, go!

This is the happiest I've felt while watching this show. I hope she never finds love and her business goes under because she just lets people break her swords without paying for them.

Sword Art Online 8

Boring pointless episode.

Sword Art Online 9

I like how Kirito
lets two people die because he doesn't want to reveal his super secret skill.
It really reinforces the fact that he's actually a bad, self-absorbed person. In other words a perfect Gary Stu.

Sword Art Online 10

iP7Q3YqBwb6KZ.gif

Sword Art Online 11

This is Elfen Lied bad.

Sword Art Online 12

ibjMIfYc5m9jzv.gif

I've never seen a show so disgustingly self-congratulatory before. I have to give Kawahara credit for taking the Mary Sue tropes to levels never before seen in popular fiction.

I can't believe this show had the gall to complain about the objectification of women when
the hero can literally turn females into objects.

Sword Art Online 13

Yawn.

Sword Art Online 14

Pretty much.
Dropped the show shortly after that episode.

OceanBlue

60fps > 30fps every single time.

This is an interesting thing to think about since we're on a gaming forum. Do you guys think things like 120Hz TVs are a good thing for movies? Would you guys like it if all movies were at 120 FPS or 60 FPS instead of the 24 FPS they're at now?

Pretend interlacing doesn't exist. Interlacing sucks.

Maedhros

It makes the game objectively better. Higher framerate means the game is more responsive to your inputs. It's not debatable. It also gives games a higher temporal resolution on the graphics end. You should care if a game is 30 or 60.

It doesn't matter what "most people" notice or not. Technical facts are technical facts, and everyone should respect them.

Well, everyone doesn't though. Never noticed my reactions getting any better in games, despite them being 60FPS.

Maybe in racing/fighting games it makes a difference. I don't really like these genres, though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If I could run Planetside 2 at 60fps instead of 30fps, I'd be getting way more headshots.

wonzo

Banned
This is an interesting thing to think about since we're on a gaming forum. Do you guys think things like 120Hz TVs are a good thing for movies? Would you guys like it if all movies were at 120 FPS or 60 FPS instead of the 24 FPS they're at now?

More frames = better than. It's as simple as that.

OceanBlue

I've tried playing Street Fighter 4 at 30FPS. It was awful. Never again.

More frames = better than. It's as simple as that.

I'm just wondering because one of the arguments I've seen for why movies are 24 FPS is that it's intentionally limited to allow the brain to fill in more. I need to look it up to remember the details, but it sounds like an interesting idea. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of 120Hz TVs yet.

yami4ct

I always forget we have an IRC. I should really get in there.

From the New World 09
This show is turning into what I always hoped/feared it would be. From the moment I saw it, I thought it's oppressive atmosphere would lend it to be super depressing week to week, a la Casshern Sins. It's getting there. This episode was great. The fact that it sounds like 10's not so hot makes me really sad.

Branduil

I like how episode 14 managed to encapsulate everything wrong with the show in one episode.

Abrupt, poorly-paced developments and resolutions?
id9UIO77YZvb.png

Deus Ex Machina?
id9UIO77YZvb.png

"Love overcomes all" BS?
id9UIO77YZvb.png

Gary Stus and Mary Sues with magical abilities that no one else has access to?
id9UIO77YZvb.png

Villains not getting any punishment for their crimes?
id9UIO77YZvb.png

The well-animated
destruction of Aincrad
was such a waste.

Uchip

Banned

Higurashi isnt cute, its fugly
Narutaru is just bad

Risette

A Good Citizen
This is an interesting question to ask since we're on a gaming forum: Do you guys think things like 120Hz TVs are a good thing for movies? Would you guys like it if all movies were at 120 FPS or 60 FPS instead of the 24 FPS they're at now?

120Hz TVs are good because they allow you to see proper 24p without any interpolation via 5:5 pulldown. It should be noted that many TVs aren't 120Hz anymore, instead 72Hz and 96Hz. I don't know why they went lower but 72Hz 3:3 pulldown produces identical effects to the three-blade shutter that is standard in cinema projectors, so I guess it's more like the movies? Dunno. Motion interpolation is evil and so are the people that use those ghastly features. Native frame duplication only.

As for shooting at a native higher framerate: ideally that is only a good thing for movies, it is superior, but there's several things to take into account:

a) Higher framerates will change the way movies have to be lit due to how it effects the depth of captured light, and it will cause several years of growing pains. It is not just as simple as using the same setups as always except now without motion judder and the like. Similar to the early days of digital, nearly every early higher framerate movie is going to look like shit. It is a brand new format. The reason I think this is a big issue is because I think people are going to confuse the movies looking like shit due to an unrefined grasp on how to shoot movies at higher framerates with higher framerates making the movies look like shit. People are already eager to drop the "soap opera effect" thing without even seeing a movie shot at a higher framerate, when the early movies look like shit it's just going to play into their misguided confirmation bias.

b) Higher framerate means CG workloads will become literally multiplied, making movie budgets even higher than they are. And for anybody who says "good" to making CG harder to use: you are a luddite and should feel bad. CG is an extremely useful tool for directors who use it for things other than cheap spectacle. Go watch Zodiac.

c) In a similar vein (multiplication), higher framerates will make data storage requirements even higher. A full runlength movie at 4K is already an insane amount of data, higher framerates will multiply them. This is the least noteworthy issue because storage is cheap these days, but an issue is an issue nonetheless.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. Also, 48fps is a shitty stopgap solution that should be shunned. 60fps all the way.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 5:
Hisoka doesn't seem quite as menacing when they're seriously toning down the violence levels. That's probably the biggest problem with the way their handling things. Aside from that, I'm enjoying this adaptation, and I thought they did a good job this episode with all the weird stuff and creating an 'oppressive atmosphere' during the climax. It's not quite as high quality as the original show, but the quality of the source material is still elevating it quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom