• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
It was a silly trolling post making fun of xbox and sony fans. He posted in some thread about the Steam version of something far outselling the console versions.
It was pretty dumb all around and not a thread worth getting banned in.

Yeah, that'll do it. It's a shame, hope it's not too long.

This:

Before Evilore revised history.

Ah I see, I saw the post but it said "Troll removed".

-----------------------------

On the topic of what is and isn't fantasy, technically any story is a fantasy, but there are a couple important aspects of fantasy to make it work and resonate with the audience.

1) You must establish the rules of the setting. If the setting is "this world" as it were, the story must follow the rules of this world. If the setting is a fictional setting, you must take the time to clearly establish the rules of the fictional setting, preferably over the course of the introduction and not as an infodump before the beginning. If the setting is "this world, but with some other-worldly elements thrown in" (read: magic, aliens, dystopian future robots of doom, etc.), you must clearly establish to the viewer the differences that exist and why they exist/how they came to be. This last setting is the most difficult, because the "why they exist/how they came to be" portion must be viewed by the audience as plausible. Without some amount of plausibility, it creates a hurdle in the suspension of disbelief (see almost every harem anime ever made ever).

2) You must stay true to the established rules throughout the story. A common mistake writers make is they write themselves into corners in an attempt to up the stakes, so they have to temporarily make up new rules to disrupt the old rules in order to rescue the story from the corner they trapped it in (read: deus ex machina). This is perhaps the reason that, say, the first Matrix movie was good, but the second and third were not. The first Matrix established a set of rules and followed them throughout the course of the story. Everything that eventually happened to change the hero and give him his powers were alluded to throughout the movie (the story of "The One"). However in the following movies, certain elements were thrown in that broke the rules and with implausible explanations (using "The One" as a "get out of jail free" card for the writing, as it were).

3) You may only change rules if it is established prior to the change that change is indeed possible. If part of the story entails the protagonist/antagonist/some random schmuck changing the accepted rules the story has established in order to benefit the world/benefit themselves/fuck everyone over etc., it must be established how they can do so prior to it happening. If it's not established prior, it will end up as a deus ex machina that pulls people from the story. Additionally, while not required, the method in question should preferably not involve random objects/people/places etc. who's existence can only be attributed to story convenience (e.g. the world will be destroyed unless you collect these 4 magical items that happened to be made just on the random off chance that this horrible event that nobody could have predicted would happen should happen).

OceanBlue

120Hz TVs are good because they allow you to see proper 24p without any interpolation via 5:5 pulldown. It should be noted that many TVs aren't 120Hz anymore, instead 96Hz. I don't know why they went lower but 3:3 pulldown produces identical effects to the three-blade shutter that is standard in cinema projectors, so I guess it's more like the movies? Dunno. Motion interpolation is evil and so are the people that use those ghastly features. Native frame duplication only.

As for shooter at native higher framerate: ideally that is only a good thing for movies, it is superior, but there's several things to take into account:

a) Higher framerates will change the way movies have to be lit due to how it effects the depth of captured light, and it will cause several years of growing pains. It is not just as simple as using the same setups as always except now without motion judder and the like. Similar to the early days of digital, nearly every early higher framerate movie is going to look like shit. It is a brand new format. The reason I think this is a big issue is because I think people are going to confuse the movies looking like shit due to an unrefined grasp on how to shoot movies at higher framerates with higher framerates making the movies look like shit. People are already eager to drop the "soap opera effect" thing without even seeing a movie shot at a higher framerate, when the early movies look like shit it's just going to play into their misguided confirmation bias.

b) Higher framerate means CG workloads will become literally multiplied, making movie budgets even higher than they are. And for anybody who says "good" to making CG harder to use: you are a luddite and should feel bad. CG is an extremely useful tool for directors who use it for things other than cheap spectacle. Go watch Zodiac.

c) In a similar vein (multiplication), higher framerates will make data storage requirements even higher. A full runlength movie at 4K is already an insane amount of data, higher framerates will multiply them. This is the least noteworthy issue because storage is cheap these days, but an issue is an issue nonetheless.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. Also, 48fps is a shitty stopgap solution that should be shunned. 60fps all the way.

Wow. Being faced with reasoning and facts, I can't really do anything but agree. I really don't know enough about this to respond with anything intelligent (hence this post, lol). I didn't even think about how higher framerates would affect lighting.

And crap. I think I'm saying interlacing when I should be saying interpolation. My bad.

So about that Serial Experiments Lain Bluray...

Here's the Japanese release:

And here's the US release just put out by Funimation:

Uh...

(from here)

Eww, that's gross.

Risette

A Good Citizen

Uh...

(from here)
Looks like Funi is still brightening things for some reason that isn't even relevant anymore. It wasn't even relevant in the DVD days but they used some colorspace/brightness difference between Japan and America excuse which was relevant when video was analog. Why.

JCG

The probability of someone unironically enjoying Geass is far too high for it to be worthy of the "I hate myself and want to die" GAF list.

It is quite possible to recommend Code Geass unironically, at least to a significant extent, as long as you can lay back and eventually realize that it is very much aiming to be over-the-top and melodramatically theatrical on purpose, in spite of the fact it also tries to do some semi-serious and interesting things with a lesser or greater degree of success, as opposed to failing at being the height of universal super-seriousness and super-realism that some wrongly believe was ever the intention. You could even argue Lelouch takes his own series more seriously than the series takes itself.

In other words, I think the show had a degree of built-in dual purpose that tends to get lost if you think the creators never expected the audience to have a good time, period, just by constantly amusing them through crazy ridiculous stunts they usually included on a whim. Of course, you can still blame -or, for that matter, thank- them for trying to have their cake and eat it.

CorvoSol

Big O 18

I'm not sure what I loved most about this episode:Beck's amazingly over the top antics and poofy golden afro, or the Dorothy x Roger going on.
I'm still more of a fan of Roger x Angel

Looks like Funi is still brightening things for some reason that isn't even relevant anymore. It wasn't even relevant in the DVD days but they used some colorspace/brightness difference between Japan and America excuse which was relevant when video was analog. Why.

Maybe they just think it looks better now. idk

jman2050

I think he was talking about the hilarious banding?

cajunator

Banned

Uh...

(from here)

The banding doesnt look too bad. I probably wouldnt notice it.
Im sure it will raise all kinds of hell and stuff. People are complaning because of some outer artbox paper separation thing too. Ive encountered that before. Not too big of a deal though with a thin layer of glue to stick it back down. what I really hate though is that back artwork sticker that some sets seem to stick directly to the shrinkwrap, which destroys that part effectively when you open the boxset wrapping. Thats the dumbest shit ever. Why is it a fucking sticker in the first place?

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Uh...

(from here)

At the link:

A+ packaging, funky shiny spot or no. Middling C video, maybe. Of all the titles that needed a pair of BD50s, this was the one, and somehow it went to Sora no Otoshimono instead... fantastic

PRIORITIES

Geneijin

It is quite possible to recommend Code Geass unironically, at least to a significant extent, as long as you can lay back and eventually realize that it is very much aiming to be over-the-top and melodramatically theatrical on purpose, in spite of the fact it also tries to do some semi-serious and interesting things with a lesser or greater degree of success, as opposed to failing at being the height of universal super-seriousness and super-realism that some wrongly believe was ever the intention. You could even argue Lelouch takes his own series more seriously than the series takes itself.

In other words, I think the show had a degree of built-in dual purpose that tends to get lost if you think the creators never expected the audience to have a good time, period, just by constantly amusing them through crazy ridiculous stunts they usually included on a whim. Of course, you can still blame -or, for that matter, thank- them for trying to have their cake and eat it.
That isn't a requirement either. You're not enjoying it unironically then.

cajunator

Banned
Both the banding and the brightness are undesirable, to say the least. If you're putting out what is supposed to be a premium edition, I expect a premium quality product.

I do agree with that.
Theres no excuse for it looking different than the original source in a premium product.
Luckily Im a blind fuck so I wont likely notice the defects anyway.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
There's nothing ironic about enjoying something, unless you mean ironic as in "enjoying it in a manner the creators did not intend" but even then your enjoyment is still genuine.

Enjoying something "ironically" is mostly bullshit. If you like something for its bombast and absurdity, you're just enjoying it, the qualifier "ironically" adds nothing.

JCG

I really don't intend to use the Lain BDs for regular viewing (always prefer to wear out the DVDs first in these combo releases, truth be told), but yes...that video issue isn't exactly promising.

cajunator

Banned
At the link:

PRIORITIES

Sora No Otoshimono is a better show than Lain. Im kind of pissed that I ended up with a DVD version and now they are coming out with bluray. The first season was bluray so what the fuck? SNO deserves the best treatment. Its hilarious and really cute. the main character is a super perverted nice guy. Its brilliant.

Enjoying something "ironically" is mostly bullshit. If you like something for its bombast and absurdity, you're just enjoying it, the qualifier "ironically" adds nothing.

It's also not a correct use of the word' ironic', which just makes it worse. Come up with a different way of expressing that thought.

cajunator

Banned
There's nothing ironic about enjoying something, unless you mean ironic as in "enjoying it in a manner the creators did not intend" but even then your enjoyment is still genuine.

Agreed. You either enjoy it or you dont. Theres nothing ironic about it.
How does the viewer know what the creators intended? maybe they knew full well the story was bullshit and intended to fuck with the audience. Im fairly certain clamp did this with Blood C.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
People have hated on Cowboy Bebop and Shakespeare in this thread, nothing is sacred.

It's not a matter of hating really. I probably should've been more apt in my comment. It's one thing to dislike a show because it's not to your taste or something. It's another thing to discount aspects of a show entirely and say they are poor.

JCG

That isn't a requirement either. You're not enjoying it unironically then.

Never said it was an universal requirement, since the show can be enjoyed in multiple ways after all...but my point is that a purely "ironic" enjoyment implies enjoying something in a way that goes against the intended purpose, which is what I question in this particular case, since IMHO what you highlighted isn't necessarily some sort of horribly unforeseeable circumstance the creators produce out of incompetence, not realizing that people would find something funny.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Never said it was an universal requirement, since the show can be enjoyed in multiple ways after all...but my point is that a purely "ironic" enjoyment implies enjoying something in a way that goes against the intended purpose, which is what I question in this particular case, since IMHO what you highlighted isn't necessarily some sort of horribly unforeseeable circumstance the creators did out of incompetence, not realizing that people would find something funny.

You need to understand that certain terms and phrases really tick certain people off in here, and "'ironic' enjoyment" is one of them. ^^

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The amount of dislike for Fate/Zero recently in this thread is sickening. What is wrong with you guys.
I understand why people wouldn't like it. I don't think it's for everyone either, it just hits a good target demo around the age bracket of most of the people who post here and buy anime.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I read this thread ironically.

It's... it's not that I like you guys or anything.

B-baka!

cajunator

Banned
I understand why people wouldn't like it. I don't think it's for everyone either, it just hits a good target demo around the age bracket of most of the people who post here and buy anime.

Its REALLY dark and depressing sometimes and all the characters seem hateful. I wouldnt doubt some people are repulsed by it.

Branduil

ioY5tNcYYFSAK.jpg

i7Y5SGDyROZex.gif

Taruranto

Its REALLY dark and depressing sometimes and all the characters seem hateful. I wouldnt doubt some people are repulsed by it.

I think it has more to do with the fact that it requires some knowledge of the Fate universe/Heaven's Feel.

First episode was 50 minutes of worldbuilding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom