• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

I think it's pretty interesting that we've got two quite different shows that explicitly deal with the notion of society controlling and regulating individuals to an uncomfortable level.

In the near-future world of Psycho Pass some computer program reads your mind and decides for you what kind of life you're going to live and you have no say in the matter, you can't even rebel inside your own head because that's being monitored by the state.

In From the New World children are indoctrinated and moulded at an early age to conform to certain standards and those who are defective are permanently excised from society. I guess this is a lot closer to how our society actually works today.

Now, I don't know what it feels like to grow up in Japan and to strive to integrate into society but I guess that these works are actually trying to say something about what that actually feels like and the difficult pressures that puts on individuals. At least, that's what I imagine.

Interestingly there's another show that has a very similar concept to From the New World and that's the classic Terra e... which also deals with the idea about how a society of humans would cope with the introduction of a group of psychics. In fact, the world of Terra e... is also ruled by an all powerful system that decided your fate, much like Psycho Pass. I guess everyone has ripped off Terra e...!

Thoraxes

Watching anime with a group of friends back in the high school days was fun. It's an interesting experience.

I made sure that when my friends asked me for suggestions, I gave them and marathoned such classics as School Days, Elfen Lied, and Eiken with them. I basically demanded I be in the same room as they watch it, and my life has been richer for it.

Grzi

JoJo - 03

bVj84.jpg

How can something be so ugly and yet so beautiful at the same time?

Yeah I wouldn't want to attach my name to that either... and Pastoral have been subcontracted by SHAFT to work on a lot of their projects, just shows how bad the mismanagement got last if they were left to do everything.

It doesn't change the fact that Pastoral was the lead studio for Negima since Ala Alba and not Shaft.

cajunator

Banned
I don't have anime-friends either. Then again, I prefer watching anime alone, for maximum immersion.

I actually dont.
I enjoy sharing it.
Im actually sad when I watch it by myself.
Many of my friends moved away or got families and fell out of the hobby.
Im pretty lonely nowadays.

Jex

Speaking of Pyscho Pass I'm not really a big fan of the way that just about every female in the show is portrayed as an object of titillation for consumption by the (presumably male) audience. It just feels a bit sleazy to have such fanservice shots present in a work of this tone, especially when we get male-gaze shots of the female victim as she's being assaulted. I don't like that at all.

Firemind

Aoi Sekai no Chuushin de #1

Impressive. The production is out of this world. You can tell the amount of budget that went in this. The Segua characters are kind of bland though. Can't really compare with the Ninteldo characters.

My little sister can't be this frustrated #3

Oh my. It's like this show exists to ridicule the suggestive themes of certain shows I shan't name and troll the audience that are into that sort of thing. It's a subversion at this point. Extra points for the fake laughs.

This is turning out to be one of the best seasons of the last couple of years fo sho.

Dresden

Speaking of Pyscho Pass I'm not really a big fan of the way that just about every female in the show is portrayed as an object of titillation for consumption by the (presumably male) audience. It just feels a bit sleazy to have such fanservice shots present in a work of this tone, especially when we get male-gaze shots of the female victim as she's being assaulted. I don't like that at all.

Staying true to the noir vibes, I suppose.

I dunno about the rest, but this seems like something that Urobuchi would intend.

Jex

Oh, I understand that duckroll has been unimpressed by my posts on Blast of Tempest. Unless I really like or really dislike something I find it hard to put away the time to write anything substantial about what I've experience and, unfortunately for Blasty, it doesn't really move me at all. There's clearly a lot of great cinematography and animation on display but if I don't care about what I'm seeing I don't care to write about it. This is exactly how I feel about certain episodes of K-On which were extremely well produced but left me feeling cold.

Jex

Yeah Im pretty sure Butch Gen has done stuff like that before. Usually for shock value or some other twisted shit.

From my experiences with Madoka and Fate/Zero I understand that's very much his style - what kind of dark and edgy even would shock a 14 year old - but I do find it a bit crass at times.

cajunator

Banned
From my experiences with Madoka and Fate/Zero I understand that's very much his style - what kind of dark and edgy even would shock a 14 year old - but I do find it a bit crass at times.

Saya no Uta told me everything I needed to know about how Urobuchi thinks and writes.
I would describe his work as disturbing genius but thats just me.

Kagami

Dengeki Online's report on the Ro-Kyu-Bu! event at the Dengeki 20th anniversary festival, where the TV series second season was announced:
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/547/547930/

ewniD.jpg

The event was held to celebrate the second Ro-Kyu-Bu! PSP game, Ro-Kyu-Bu! Secret Lost Property going on sale in spring 2013. The voice actresses for the five main team members appeared on stage: Kana Hanazawa, Yuka Iguchi, Youko Hikasa, Rina Hidaka, and Yui Ogura.

As the event started, the voice of male lead Subaru's VA, Yuuki Kaji, echoed out, "Mattaku, yappari shougakusei wa saikou da ze!" ("Yep, elementary school girls really are great!")

Then the five VAs appeared, and Hanazawa Kana exchanged shouts with the crowd in the style the franchise is known for.
"Everybody excited!?"
"Yeah!!!"
"Do you love elementary-schoolers!?"
"Yeah!!!"
"You're under arrest!!"
"Yeah!!!"

They played video of some of the famous scenes from the TV series, and the VAs talked about their experience acting for the TV series and performing in the VA musical group "RO-KYU-BU!"
Then the main portion of the event started, which was about the new PSP game, which will be in the genre "rolispo stealth adventure." (rolispo stands for "rolling sports") It will revolve around various "secret lost items" belonging to the basketball team members, which are found by Subaru.

Finally there was some advertising for the manga adaptations and the upcoming TV series Blu-ray box release, and then it was time for the event to end...which when they suddenly started playing more video and announced season 2 of the TV series.
The crowd erupted with joy and some of them bowed down to the ground in we're-not-worthy reverence toward the stage.

The second season title is "Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS," and they had the VAs guess at what "SS" stood for, coming up with things like "Suppai Subaru" (sour Subaru), "Shoppai Subaru" (salty Subaru) [both references to Subaru's life going sour/being full of tears, i.e. once he gets arrested], "Shinda Sekaisensen" [This is some kind of Angel Beats reference], "Sake da, Sake wo mottekoi" ("Sake! bring me Sake!")

And the correct answer is SS stands for "Second Season" or "Shougakusei was Saikou da ze!" ("Elementary-schoolers are great!")

Thoraxes

Dengeki Online's report on the Ro-Kyu-Bu! event at the Dengeki 20th anniversary festival, where the TV series second season was announced:

Then the five VAs appeared, and Hanazawa Kana exchanged shouts with the crowd in the style the franchise is known for.
"Everybody excited!?"
"Yeah!!!"
"Yeah!!!"
"You're under arrest!!"
"Yeah!!!"

The crowd erupted with joy and some of them bowed down to the ground in we're-not-worthy reverence toward the stage.

Alright, I spit out my drink in laughter.

I watched the first season. There's nothing stopping me now! Bring on S2!

Dresden

As the event started, the voice of male lead Subaru's VA, Yuuki Kaji, echoed out, "Mattaku, yappari shougakusei wa saikou da ze!" ("Yep, elementary school girls really are great!")

"Everybody excited!?"
"Yeah!!!"
"Yeah!!!"
"You're under arrest!!"
"Yeah!!!"
hahaha, that's great. I mean, not that I approve of it. Of course.

http://i.imgur.com/ewniD.jpg[IMG]

The event was held to celebrate the second Ro-Kyu-Bu! PSP game, [URL="http://d-game.dengeki.com/RO-KYU-BU/"][b]Ro-Kyu-Bu! Secret Lost Property[/b][/URL] going on sale in spring 2013. The voice actresses for the five main team members appeared on stage: Kana Hanazawa, Yuka Iguchi, Youko Hikasa, Rina Hidaka, and Yui Ogura.

As the event started, the voice of male lead Subaru's VA, Yuuki Kaji, echoed out, "Mattaku, yappari shougakusei wa saikou da ze!" ("[URL="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-09-10/ro-kyu-bu-lolita-tote-bag-t-shirt-offered-in-japan"]Yep, elementary school girls really are great![/URL]")

[b]Then the five VAs appeared, and Hanazawa Kana exchanged shouts with the crowd in the style the franchise is known for.
[I]"Everybody excited!?"
"Yeah!!!"
"Yeah!!!"
"You're under arrest!!"
"Yeah!!!"[/I][/b]

They played video of some of the famous scenes from the TV series, and the VAs talked about their experience acting for the TV series and performing in the VA musical group "RO-KYU-BU!"
Then the main portion of the event started, which was about the new PSP game, which will be in the genre "rolispo stealth adventure." (rolispo stands for "rolling sports") It will revolve around various "secret lost items" belonging to the basketball team members, which are found by Subaru.

Finally there was some advertising for the manga adaptations and the upcoming TV series Blu-ray box release, and then it was time for the event to end...which when they suddenly started playing more video and announced season 2 of the TV series.
[b]The crowd erupted with joy and some of them bowed down to the ground in we're-not-worthy reverence toward the stage.[/b]

The second season title is "Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS," and they had the VAs guess at what "SS" stood for, coming up with things like "Suppai Subaru" (sour Subaru), "Shoppai Subaru" (salty Subaru) [both references to Subaru's life going sour/being full of tears, i.e. once he gets arrested], "Shinda Sekaisensen" [This is some kind of Angel Beats reference], "Sake da, Sake wo mottekoi" ("Sake! bring me Sake!")

And the correct answer is SS stands for "Second Season" or "Shougakusei was Saikou da ze!" ("Elementary-schoolers are great!")[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/41fq-pb0igl._ss400_oxj1m.jpg

well, why not?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
"Impossible!! OT1 is locked?!?! What Unbelievable Power! Fall Anime 2012 |OT2| Arrives!"
Fucking anime fans should have used this title.
Hey you got a new avatar.

Motherfucking spoilers in your avatar dawg.
I'm not great with mosaics... can someone help me here?
Somebody ban these threades forever. WEEOOOWEEOOO
Revolutionary Girl Utena 1

I don't get why their faces look so weird.
There's this thing called noses. They have become extinct from anime.

Jex

"Everybody excited!?"
"Yeah!!!"
"Yeah!!!"
"You're under arrest!!"
"Yeah!!!"

opb42d.gif

Improving anime's reputation, one fan at a time.

Grzi

I really want to give a shout out to Jo Jo's CG fire effects. They look awful:

fireindexed.gif

Almost every shot of the show looks pretty bad.
The fact that I'm watching it (and visuals are extremely important to me) just proves what a masterpiece JoJo really is.

Didnt think a new OT would happen overnight. Regardless, I guess since most of the games Ive wanted are 2013 or moved to there (Beyond, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, P5, NUNS3, Overstrike/Fuse, DA3, VersusXIII), Ive just been not enthused on gaming, so it is no surprise Ive posted on anime more, but I didnt think that much in respect to everyone else :/ Bah.

Ichigo is too cute to be stopped...

tumblr_m4hjq2RsLj1qgqrqfo1_500.png

wonzo

Banned
That looks like Shiranui, minus the all important ahoge. That is from Medaka Box though isnt it?
yep

"Everybody excited!?"
"Yeah!!!"
"Yeah!!!"
"You're under arrest!!"
"Yeah!!!"
rkbshirt.jpg

Jex

The fact that I'm watching it (and visuals are extremely important to me) just proves what a masterpiece JoJo really is.

Interestingly enough another show I was talking about earlier, Terra e... has pretty low production values but the strength of the core story shines through nevertheless. It's certainly preferable to having excellent production values on a terrible show.

Dresden

Considering what it's based on + the staff, I'm sure it'll be a more critical view of the pretentious hipster bullshit, but I hope it's not indicative of some weird chuuni boom. I don't think my body could take so much wahjah.

cajunator

Banned

Yeah its amazing how a show that ugly can be THAT AWESOME.
But it is.
suck it haters.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hey, would you look at that? Someone here's not been contaminated yet.

I like you. I hope you can stay.
Okay, no, see, the problem with this scene isn't really the flying, but that he suddendly is facing the opposite direction (ie not at the other fuckers) after jumping... and in the next transition he appears to be facing them again. It's incredibly disorienting.
JoJo - 03

How can something be so ugly and yet so beautiful at the same time?
58RmI.png

Being Supido Cart is suffering.
Pseudo sci-fi show with gratuitous violence having some male gaze opportunities? WELL I'LL SAY

Hunter x Hunter 52

The phone conversation between Kurapika, Killua, and Gon was my favorite part of the episode. It was just as thrilling as the fight and really gave certain emotions.
Was torn between wanting Kurapika to help, but then wanting him to try to keep Gon and Killua from getting involved since they could get themselves killed. Though when Killua got all agitated and threw the line about being friends or equals, that was really touching. Hopefully Kurapika considers it and bad relations between the three arent formed for the sake of getting revenge. Terrible afraid that revenge will get the best of Kurapika and he may abandon reason and lose control. He seems like the type of character where in the center of this situation it could really happen. And unlike Killua, he has no Gon to keep him in check...

The impressions from the other people who watched before hand made it seem like the big fight of this episode was kind of low key, not animated well, or just really failing to have intensity. So Im baffled how one could reach that conclusion when it was actually really intense and amazing. What more could one want from the three fighters?
Chrollo not managing to land a single blow yet having a pretty solid defense until Silva got really serious was applause worthy. And then Zeno's intense dragon attack. It looked really amazing. I liked the purple for it. And lastly, finally getting what seemed to be the nen beams Ive waited so long for. Definitely a really exciting fight

If only they could have included a bit more!.

Negima is not worth defending.

ARGH... i can't let that one go ..
I love negima ( manga , anime is lackluster ) and shaft involvement only made things worse ..i guess it's better than xebec but still ..

Negima deserved better than what we got ...

All i asked is a proper anime following the manga plot with a decent direction ..

Was i really asking for too much ?

Xebec was the main responsible for this mess ..i can't forgive them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom