• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Pseudo sci-fi show with gratuitous violence having some male gaze opportunities? WELL I'LL SAY

I don't really get how Psycho Pass is psudeo-scifi. I don't understand why it has to gratuitous a la Mardock Scramble just because it's anime.

cajunator

Banned
ARGH... i can't let that one go ..
I love negima ( manga , anime is lackluster ) and shaft involvement only made things worse ..i guess it's better than xebec but still ..

Negima deserved better than what we got ...

All i asked is a proper anime following the manga plot with a decent direction ..

Was i really asking for too much ?

Xebec was the main responsible for this mess ..i can't forgive them

I'll be fair I liked the one titled "Negima?!". Whoever did that one, it wasnt that bad.
However its definitely nothing special but I did like it enough to buy it.

DiGiKerot

ARGH... i can't let that one go ..
I love negima ( manga , anime is lackluster ) and shaft involvement only made things worse ..i guess it's better than xebec but still ..

Negima deserved better than what we got ...

All i asked is a proper anime following the manga plot with a decent direction ..

Was i really asking for too much ?

Xebec was the main responsible for this mess ..i can't forgive them

I used to be with you, outside of the Shaft thing (I've not seen the "movie", but the OADs were mostly genuinely pretty good, and I thought the TV show was not-terrible on it's own merits), but after the way that Akamatsu ended the manga, I kind of feel it got what it deserved in hindsight. He blew away an awful lot of fan goodwill with that ending.

Ryuukan

Dengeki Online's report on the Ro-Kyu-Bu! event at the Dengeki 20th anniversary festival, where the TV series second season was announced:
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/547/547930/

Then the five VAs appeared, and Hanazawa Kana exchanged shouts with the crowd in the style the franchise is known for.
"Everybody excited!?"
"Yeah!!!"
"Do you love elementary-schoolers!?"
"Yeah!!!"
"You're under arrest!!"
"Yeah!!!"

Sounds like a great idea for a crossover. YUA ladies arresting RKB fans.

OceanBlue

I used to be with you, outside of the Shaft thing (I've not seen the "movie", but the OADs were mostly genuinely pretty good, and I thought the TV show was not-terrible on it's own merits), but after the way that Akamatsu ended the manga, I kind of feel it got what it deserved in hindsight. He blew away an awful lot of fan goodwill with that ending.

I think Akamatsu needs to draw a full-blown shounen for a little while. At least if only to get him to figure out how long he's supposed to be pacing his adventure arcs.

He should still include cute girls, of course.

Grzi

Interestingly enough another show I was talking about earlier, Terra e... has pretty low production values but the strength of the core story shines through nevertheless. It's certainly preferable to having excellent production values on a terrible show.

Yeah, I definitely need to watch Terra e...
I'll give a big boost to its position on the backlog.
The same was done to Gunslinger Girl which I'm starting today thanks to your impressions!

58RmI.png

Being Supido Cart is suffering.

LOL

Hunter x Hunter 52

The phone conversation between Kurapika, Killua, and Gon was my favorite part of the episode. It was just as thrilling as the fight and really gave certain emotions.
Was torn between wanting Kurapika to help, but then wanting him to try to keep Gon and Killua from getting involved since they could get themselves killed. Though when Killua got all agitated and threw the line about being friends or equals, that was really touching. Hopefully Kurapika considers it and bad relations between the three arent formed for the sake of getting revenge. Terrible afraid that revenge will get the best of Kurapika and he may abandon reason and lose control. He seems like the type of character where in the center of this situation it could really happen. And unlike Killua, he has no Gon to keep him in check...

The impressions from the other people who watched before hand made it seem like the big fight of this episode was kind of low key, not animated well, or just really failing to have intensity. So Im baffled how one could reach that conclusion when it was actually really intense and amazing. What more could one want from the three fighters?
Chrollo not managing to land a single blow yet having a pretty solid defense until Silva got really serious was applause worthy. And then Zeno's intense dragon attack. It looked really amazing. I liked the purple for it. And lastly, finally getting what seemed to be the nen beams Ive waited so long for. Definitely a really exciting fight

If only they could have included a bit more!.

I love these impressions, classic DTL.
It wasn't bad, it's just that the last few fights in the show looked better, and the 1999 series did a slightly better job with this fight, although that can be explained with the fact that it was the last episode of the TV broadcast.

Uchip

Banned
Speaking of Pyscho Pass I'm not really a big fan of the way that just about every female in the show is portrayed as an object of titillation for consumption by the (presumably male) audience. It just feels a bit sleazy to have such fanservice shots present in a work of this tone, especially when we get male-gaze shots of the female victim as she's being assaulted. I don't like that at all.

huh? no complaints that the male characters look like fujoshi bait?
maybe everyone looks good in the future with controlled calorie intake!

Jex

The same was done to Gunslinger Girl which I'm starting today thanks to your impressions!
Unlike everything else Gunslinger Girl has fantastic production values.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Space Brothers 28

This show has been in a slump ever since the tests were done with. There's simply a lack of direction on where the plot is gonna go after Hibito launches off. That it remains enjoyable despite its purposelessness is credit to its great characterisation.

Westlo

Terra e is a fantastic show that was sadly overlooked since it aired in one of the better anime seasons of recent times (Spring 07), hope you enjoy it.

Kagami

Suki tte ii na yo / Say "I Love you" 2

This was more enjoyable than the first episode.
The ridiculous dramatic piano music is still bugging me though.

Alright, so there's going to be a second season for both Ro-Kyou-Bu and Railgun? This is great news! I wonder how long Railgun's second season is going to be, since the first one was two cours.

I'm also surprised so many Japanese dropped OniAi so early. It's definitely one of the more entertaining shows this season.

cajunator

Banned
Alright, so there's going to be a second season for both Ro-Kyou-Bu and Railgun? This is great news! I wonder how long Railgun's second season is going to be, since the first one was two cours.

I'm also surprised so many Japanese dropped OniAi so early. It's definitely one of the more entertaining shows this season.

Hopefully the Otaku are over the brotherfucker phase.
But they probably aren't.

Steroyd

DiGiKerot

I'm more curious as to who is going to direct Railgun - it kind of seems beneath Nagai at this point.

Steroyd

Oh snap, there's going to be a season 2 of Railgun!?

I'm so happy right now. Sitting through that terrible shite called Index, wasn't for nothing. T_T

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So happy for Railgun S2 as well. Index was trash (like almost solely because of Index herself), but I really enjoyed Railgun a lot. It was like K-On but with an actually interesting cast of girls that were fun to watch and interspersed with some cool fights here and there.

/XX/

And here I was thinking we wouldn't reach a new thread until later today! I tip my hat to you, folks...

Firemind

Sukitte Ii na yo #3

sukitte1.jpg

Does this happen in real life?

This is getting interesting now. Unlike that other shoujo, this is actually, well, shoujo. The characters are believable, there's drama (or soon to be drama) and, most importantly, the main character's thoughts and monologues actually develop the character. Instead of blabbering about trivial stuff, you get to hear her thought process. That is what makes characters interesting.

sukitte2.jpg

Shades of Nodame.

It has a decent supporting cast as well. They're not all friendly towards each other, or are being friendly for superficial reasons. They have their ulterior motives for their actions, which reflects actual human behaviour. You can't judge a book by its cover as they say. The main love interest is a bit of an enigma, still, but that just pulls me in. Colour me impressed.

sukitte3.jpg

At least she isn't voiced by Aya Hirano.

Looking forward to the next episode.

I'll be fair I liked the one titled "Negima?!". Whoever did that one, it wasnt that bad.
However its definitely nothing special but I did like it enough to buy it.
That's shaft .. Shaft did all the oavs , the movies and the alternate universe anime (negima!?)

True it didn't end as i hoped but it was still a very nice ride..there are plenty of nice parts that needed an anime adaptation and i was entertained untill the end .
However the mundo mundicus oavs are garbage incarnate..so many missed opportunities.
If xebec didn't do such an awefull job with the first anime all of this wouldn't have happenned. ( at least not that bad )

Emitan

Sometimes I wish I lived closer to you guys and could actually attend stuff like this.
Such is the curse of internet communication.
A group of people can talk to each other for years and never ever meet.
Its rather depressing to think about.

But then you have people like me who actually live nearby members of this thread and are too shy to ever meet them.

Kazzy

But then you have people like me who actually live nearby members of this thread and are too shy to ever meet them.

Daw!

I don't think I no anyone who watches Anime with any sort of regularity, at least not knowingly. The closest is a friend from college who I knew watched Bleach, long before I ever started. Pretty sure that's as far as his interest extends, though. Shame.

Damn you Americans, and your regional proximity!

Yep, new thread smell. Yuck.

cajunator

Banned

If I met you I swear I would hug you. With permission obviously.
You seem huggable.
But yeah Im definitely not on the shy side. I used to be, about fifteen years ago. working and college changed that. Now Im pretty much a crazy extrovert and a loudmouth. When I arrive somewhere, people know it.

Emitan

If I met you I swear I would hug you. With permission obviously.
You seem huggable.
But yeah Im definitely not on the shy side. I used to be, about fifteen years ago. working and college changed that. Now Im pretty much a crazy extrovert and a loudmouth. When I arrive somewhere, people know it.

I would hug you, too. I like hugging.

duckroll

Magi - Episode 3

I'm really not feeling this adaptation so far. The motivations of the characters, the handling of the narrative, everything just feels so marginalized compared to the manga I know and love. It's really quite disappointing. They rushed through the dungeon arc in just 3 episodes, and I feel the climax has no weight at all. It just feels like they're going through the motions to get this stuff over with because they have no love for it at all. Sad. :(

The action was pretty good though. This show doesn't disappoint when it comes to the animation and the backgrounds, but the writing and direction are really dragging it down. I really hope it somehow gets better when they're done rushing through stuff, but somehow I doubt so...

----

Code:Breaker - Episode 3

This show is really hilarious. Could well be the best action comedy of the season! I honestly don't know how much of it is intentional, or what is from the manga, since all I'm watching is the anime, but damn this is some funny stuff. Every time from Sakura is a new level of self-parody, and the entire narrative is just so over the top it's hard not to just sit back and enjoy the entertainment.

This week has a pretty solid balance of what made the first two episodes so fun - terrible moralistic dialogue from Sakura, Ogami being #2cool4school and #2bad2edgy, bad guys burning, and a random ridiculous action sequence out of nowhere. The show continues to feel more and more like a lost action series from days of yore, when more anime was just about guys fucking shit up in ridiculous ways.

I'm really surprised at how much I'm enjoying this. It makes no sense! :D

Defuser

Here is something I've been working on in Photoshop from scratch since Psycho Pass ep 2.
Still 70% WIP though, need to add a few more gun parts/lights/logos, touch ups and tweak the colours later. Hopefully I can get this done by the end of the week.

icecream

Public Health Threat
What is the best show this season?
Why of course, ToloveRu Dar- No can't do it, not even in jest.

Kaibutsu-kun!
Although so far it's a tossup between it, Chu2Byou, PSYCHO-PASS at the far end

Oh ok.
So its pretty much par for the course.
But it's not, that's the beauty! The complete subversion by the brother in rebuking her advances every single time without fail
contrasted by his job
makes for great hilarity.

Deadman Wonderland 12 fin

I kinda liked the show in the first few episodes, weird people, interesting prison, a lot of blood. But as the show progressed it became apparent how shallow the characters and story are. The Shiro/Ganta relationship was never explained outside some flashbacks to their childhood. The rebelling support characters are there for no reason. Even their leader, who I can't sympathize with, serves no purpose to the story.

Its filled with the anime cliches. Ganta is a boy who always stands up, no matter how weak he is. The story, a tragic incident happens some years ago, few people get superpowers, and then a story gets wrapped around it. Reminds me of another dumb shitty show: Guilty Crown.

Everything was just so simple and shallow.

A 4/10.

Kazzy

Here is something I've been working on in Photoshop from scratch since Psycho Pass ep 2.
Still 70% WIP though, need to add a few more gun parts/lights/logos, touch ups and tweak the colours later. Hopefully I can get this done by the end of the week.

Whoa![/Keanu]

cajunator

Banned
Why of course, ToloveRu Dar- No can't do it, not even in jest.

Kaibutsu-kun!
Although so far it's a tossup between it, Chu2Byou, PSYCHO-PASS at the far end

But it's not, that's the beauty! The complete subversion by the brother in rebuking her advances every single time without fail
contrasted by his job
makes for great hilarity.

I agree with you, Hyouka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom