• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 2 Fan Turns the Cult Game Into an FPS

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A Fallout 2 fan is remaking the cult classic 1998 game to turn it into an FPS, with an early build of the project now available to play for free. With the series considered to be among the best post-apocalyptic games of all time, the Fallout name carries weight in the genre. Since the release of the third installment in 2008, when Bethesda took over the franchise and put its open-world first-person spin on things, the games have become huge successes in the AAA gaming sphere.

As spotted by PCGamesN, Itch.io user Jonasz O has released an early build of their Fallout 2 remake, which converts the isometric game into a first-person shooter. While still maintaining the visuals of the original, it makes it possible for players to roam around this particular wasteland as though it were an early Doom title. Similar to the original Fallout 2, players will be given the opportunity to customize their character and use the VATS system for fighting. But with this fan remake, players can choose to go for real-time action. The project is still in development and in the alpha stage of development, but anyone interested can play the game in its current state via web browser on the modder's Itch.io page.

SCB3

I'm kinda suprised we've never had a remake and the First 2 games, even a remaster with more console friendly and modern controls would be great imo

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm kinda suprised we've never had a remake and the First 2 games, even a remaster with more console friendly and modern controls would be great imo

I'm not surprised, I played through them both recently for the first time and they're pretty brutal, especially 2. The whole game is based around constant saving and reloading since a fight can go so horribly wrong so easily with nothing you can do about it. I liked that about it, but it's very 90s game design, even with modern controls people would still bounce off hard during the intro of 2. Rather they just leave it be, the GOG versions work fine.

Top Bottom