• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Fallout New Vegas. Which do you prefer and why?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I enjoyed 3 the most, then new Vegas, then 4. If 4 had just been more of an RPG like 3, then it would have been amazing. Sadly they stripped out too many things and it felt a bit basic because of it. But I still enjoyed 4, mind you.

But for me, 3 was the best of the bunch, and I hope we see a remaster or even just a rerelease again.

EBE

Definitely Fallout 3.

The capital wasteland is a much more interesting location than the Mojave or Commonwealth. New Vegas in particular is drab, empty, and static.

bigace33

Fallout 3 will forever be in my top 5 favorite games of all time. it had some of the best and most memorable moments I gaming I have ever seen. NPCs randomly fighting each other. I saw NPCs hazing a recruit, they had him in the wilderness in only his underwear. I remember murdering an innocent man for the Lincoln repeater. The game was so immersive and crazy, I put well over 30 hours into it.

GurrenSwagann

Neo Member
Fallout 3 will forever be in my top 5 favorite games of all time. it had some of the best and most memorable moments I gaming I have ever seen. NPCs randomly fighting each other. I saw NPCs hazing a recruit, they had him in the wilderness in only his underwear. I remember murdering an innocent man for the Lincoln repeater. The game was so immersive and crazy, I put well over 30 hours into it.

Wasn't the Lincoln Repeater in the museum though? I don't recall an NPC ever wielding it.

BANGS

Banned
3 is easily my favorite. It has my favorite map and characters, as well as a good balance of player choice without overwhelming me. One gripe I have about New Vegas is that I can't do something for someone without pissing someone else off...

Denton

Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas are Fallout games.

Fallout 3 is a pretty good spin-off.

Fallout 4 is decent spin-off. More of a shooter with RPG elements than vice versa.

woopWOOP

Haven't played 4 so I can't comment on that

But between FO3 and New Vegas I preferred New Vegas. Different factions was more fun than just "good or evil". I also really liked New Vegas' Hardcore mode where you actually need to eat/drink/sleep (tho there's probably a similar mod for PC Fallout 3 as well). The maze-like ruined cities in 3 weren't that fun to navigate through either.

-MD-

I like Fallout 4 the most cause I'm not a hater.
- Settlement building is fun
- The graphics are the most refined and the environments are really diverse
- The storyline is clever
- The companions are interesting and helpful
- The Power Armor feels like something special instead of just it being armor with good stats
- Weapon customization is well implemented

Not thinking Fallout 4 is the best = hater.

Hilarious.

joe_zazen

One little touch I liked in NV was the use of a hard c in ceasar by the roman faction, so it was pronounced like a k. Latin didnt have soft c’s.

Paasei

Very tough choice between Fallout3/NV. I think they are on par. New Vegas has the better writing and dialogue (and therefore plot options), while 3 has a world I personally liked just that tad bit more.
Fallout 4 is the best when it comes to gameplay.

I am actually still playing all 3 of them pretty much every day when I can spend some free time on that. With mods these games will never get boring. Also making builds you'd never think about doing.
Last time in NV I had an explosive guy, and I had to be very careful not to hurt myself with just shooting a missile launcher, let alone a mini nuke.

Just recently it got even more refreshing by actually taking the proper time and attention to read notes/terminals/holotapes. I did that before, just quickly and not really thinking about it, but now I do it properly. There's some sick shit in the lore to be found if you look around. Especially the Vault experiments. I obviously knew about them, but going into detail.... Damn. Vault 11 (NV) and 75 (F4) are fucked up.

If you really like Fallout, it's worth playing the first 2 games as well. They are really old and hardly share similarities with the newer games gameplay wise, but the dialogue is still spot on.

Last edited:
🤣 pre-war Jet, it was such a big deal in Fallout 2 and they fucked that up. Let's not mention how nothing backs bottle caps in the Capital Wasteland. Like water does on the west coast, they're fun games if you overlook some dumb shit. gg Obsidian, just wish you had more time with NV.

WilGrieve

I think 4 was my favorite, followed by 3. New Vegas was (in my opinion) incredibly bland, until the DLC came out. New Vegas has the best DLC of the group but was pretty samey and boring until then.

New Vegas is my favorite overall due to the story and characters. It's well written and has some hilarious lines. Although I admit I do like the modifications Bethesda did with Fallout 4 to the engine like the slightly better animations and limb-based armor. I actually did like the building in FO4 as well. It honestly would be awesome to have Obsidian do a spinoff with that version of the engine, or just remaster New Vegas in it.

Also, New Vegas just because Bethesda cannot make guns, at all. Weapon mods are required to make FO4 guns look decent. At least New Vegas has some good ones right off the bat without mods.

There's no reason to play FO3.

Lupingosei

Banned
Of the modern Fallout games it is Fallout 4. Fallout News Vegas is great and I loved it and Fallout 3 was also a good game, but Fallout 4 is probably the best Fallout game and also one of the best games ever made.

The world building in Fallout 4 is amazing. This is one of the first games, where the world actually feels alive. You always have the impression, there is something out there, even when I am not involved. Guards getting attacked by dogs or feral ghouls. Factions fighting each other and NPCs reacting to your actions, outside of conversation and the story lines.

For example, if you clean out an enemy hideout, often after you finished Scavengers will show up. So the game reacts to you actions. This is something that happened during a lot of wars, that people were following the armies to collect leftovers from the battlefields.

Also you can walk into some great fights between the factions. My best experience was a battle between Children of the Atom, some Supermutants and a group of gunners, suddenly two Vertibirds from the Brotherhood joined the fight and a raider camp in proximity also tagged in. So the conflict became huge and it was more intense then even most World War shooters. And it all happened without me, I just joined in and afterwards after I left I still heard shooting, so it also got resolved without me.

Bethesda got it right with Fallout 4 and I hope they also manage to make the world of Fallout 76 feel alive, even when there are no players around and you are just alone with the world.

svandex

Neo Member
I played Fallout 4 recently and liked it a lot. Was thinking about trying out Fallout 3 next on X1X.

Which one is the best of the 3 though and why? I am interested in hearing comparisons of them.

I prefer new vegas than the 3 , new vegas has many interesting side quests and cover almost all fractions in Fallout universe. But in Fallout 3, I can get the similar experience and the main quest is so boring. I don't get any satisfaction.

klosos

New Vegas for me with its narrative , characters and quests , however out of the three first person fallout games i find New Vegas the worst when i t comes to the world its set in , i just found the Majeva Wasteland boring , compared to the Capital wasteland in three.

But id say all three games are worth playing at least once

chemicals

Can I just say that I love all 3 games. Fallout 4 took a while to finally click with me... but when I realized that every item in the game has value now (resources for building stuff) It kinda blew my mind. Little things... I had built a bed in a room, but I left the chairs and other things in the room so when I return to the house at 3 AM and the old lady is still in her chair, begging me for drugs, (I had not realized you can also grab anything and scrap it for parts. mind blown yet again) so I had built 2 beds in the house... one of the beds had a dude sleeping in it, but the one in the crowded room was vacant... hmmm, maybe they can't get to the bed. so I went back to the room and got rid of the chairs and everything that wasn't the bed.. then I pushed the bed to one side of the room at an angle for easy access.
- so I leave and do a mission.. then I return to the house with the 2 beds in the middle of the afternoon. The same guy is sleeping in the first bed... but I had to talk to the minuteman guy with the hat so I found him walking around in the house.. I talk to him and complete my mission and start another mission for him. Now to go look in the room I renovated to see if anybody was using the bed... hmm.. looks like the hat guy who just finished talking to me is going the same direction. He goes right into the room with the angled bed and lays down and falls asleep.

I just really like it. If you force me to choose I would go with New Vegas. But Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 are both amazing.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Fallout 4 is the only Fallout game i've managed to finish.

i gave up FO3 about 3/4 through.

FNV i played like maybe 1/4.

that said. FO4 story had me hooked but the ending was ass and a total disappointment. FO3 was super fun but the stupid character was obsessed about his dad and the story fell apart towards the end. FNV is probably the best game but at this point i'm too late. the gameplay/graphics feel and look super ancient. if they ever do a remaster i will give it another shot.

ZywyPL

Banned
F2>F1>FT:BoS>anything that came from Bethesda. Sorry, but those cartoony, grotesque graphics and animations, and seriously toned down FPS gameplay took away everything that made Fallout one of the greatest RPGs of all times. This thread is basically choosing the lesser evil. But then again, I don't expect new, young generation of gamers to be remotely familiar with the roots of the series. Hell, most of the so the called "Fallout fans" would most likely get stuck on the second doors of the temple.

FNV is probably the best game but at this point i'm too late. the gameplay/graphics feel and look super ancient. if they ever do a remaster i will give it another shot.

Well, that game felt ancient the moment it released on that shitty engine, nothing to do with being too late to anything. Fortunately, you've got the opportunity to make it look like this

Or this

The benefit of a PC version of any game is the adaptability for modern hardware, they don't "age" like consoles variations of the same thing.

bati

I just want to add to this that FNV is good enough out of the box so you don't really need to add (m)any gameplay enhancing mods. It should make modding much more simple, although I'd recommend installing a bugfix pack and Project Nevada as the bare minimum.

Traianvs

I can find good things to say for every game of the serie, because I'm a good guy:

- Fallout 1 and 2 are wonderful rpg with high replayability and lots of choices and consequences.
- Fallout tactics has a great combat system, well designed maps and you can play as Riddick!
- Fallout: brotherhood of steel can be enjoyable if you loved Baldur's gate dark alliance and the Norrath games on ps2
- Fallout 3 has a beautifully crafted world to explore, lots of lore and with all dlc, hundreds and hundreds hours to play with
- Fallout new vegas is very well written and just like 1 and 2, with lots of choices and chances to roleplay your character. I didn't really like the exploration
- Fallout 4 has nice graphics, good gameplay, a nice world to explore just like 3 and the settlement building can be addictive
- Fallout 76 is colorful

Of the "modern" Fallout games each game has strengths and weaknesses.

Fallout 3 - First taste of the new Fallout playstyle. It was different than anything I'd played at the time and I love dystopian future settings. I played the game for almost 40 hours when I stumbled across Megaton, which you can see from Vault 111's exit. I went on to play over 1000 hours over multiple playthoughs. There were points where I took long breaks from it but I always found it relaxing to hop into the game after work and clear out something new.

New Vegas - See above, but the game offered more choices/better characters, but to me felt more directed throughout the game. While you can go anywhere you want if you can survive the Cazadors and Deathclaws, the game strongly pushes you to go through Nipton around the mountains up through Novak to introduce you to the Legion. That said, I had over 1000 hours in this game too. After work it was my go-to game until Skyrim came out. I can't say I like it more than 3, but I also can't say I liked 3 better than NV.

Fallout 4 - I got this game as my first PC title after building my PC. I went all-in modding it. The game itself has great controls and gameplay compared to the other two, and I like the characters, but the story has terrible directing. Everyone is an extremist. No matter what you do or how you play several factions want to eradicate several others. You can trick the game into a happy ending where only the institute gets taken out, but I never got any feeling of accomplishment in finishing Fallout 4. I have well over 1000 hours in this thanks to mods. Of the three it's my least favorite as everything felt like it was pushing you to do things you simply didn't want to do, or prohibited you from doing things you might. Restrictive is the best way I can think to describe the gameplay.

Fallout 76 - No

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
It's bad enough that Fallout 3 and 4 are pale imitations and bastardizations of a treasured cRPG franchise. "We're huge fans of Fallout" Todd says during Fallout 3's development, and yet Fallout 3 demonstrated a clear lack of understanding of the tone and atmosphere of the classics, the Brotherhood of Steel, the Super Mutants...not to mention Bethesda's absolute shit-tier writing and inability to deliver black humor.

Bethesda's versions are shitty spin offs, not real Fallout games.

Last edited:
Fallout 3. You get out of that safe cozy home you called vault 101. And it's truly unforgiving. There you are with a shitty 10 mm pistol, with no clue what to expect. Off into the distance are a pack of raiders with fucking assault rifles. Fucking fuck me, dude. I get the intense feeling to fuck right off into the other direction when holy SHIT. A fucking big green hulk with a ROCKET LAUNCHER. WTF. That octopus has a human head!!!! Wtf is that!!!! Then that first taste of civilization you get when you discover megaton. Oof the relief. Moriarty's saloon. Oooof the hospitality. You have a protected comfy little sanctuary community where people got your back. You can stay and chill here knowing there's a world out there waiting to eat you alive. I had a sweet spot for Arefu. That cute old man guarding the bridge with the small family living right besides the old man guarding. So comfy. And eventually you have yourself a vampire roommate. Beautiful view, beautiful wasteland sky. And then there's the holy fuck of when you find out about rivet city, dude. A derelict aircraft carrier turned into a fucken city. And then all the nooks and crannies scattered across the wasteland that make your thoughts light up in so many ways. The bizarre discovery of tranquility lane. Little Lamplight! Oasis!? This is the world you started off in and eventually you became the bad motherfucker with a fucking Gatling laser because you've seen some shit. You're no longer that wimpy kid who once lived a cozy life in 101. Now you're a fucken marksman sniper fucken legend, dude.

Gary. GARY. Gary. gary. Haha! Gaaary! Gary. Gary. GARY. gary?? gary!! Gary?! Gary.

Meanwhile in fo4 you start off with fucken power armor and a minigun fighting a deathclaw right from the get go. Like what mystery does that leave?

New Vegas always felt kinda try hard in my opinion. Wasn't that interesting. Desert for days. Copy paste fo3, paint it orange remove 90% of buildings add a las Vegas strip.

Last edited:

Bankai

I recently revisited and platinum'd Fallout 4 on PS4 and I have to say: it was SO much better than I remembered. Loved pretty much everything about it, which is funny - because years back I was so very disappointed in the game.

My guess is expectations were way to high after Fallout 3, which was absolutely fantastic (on Xbox 360 for me at the time).

Last edited:
I loved them all.
FO3 was a really new experience. I remember hating getting lost in the dark subways when trying to navigate to certain areas, but adoring everything else.
NV was easier to get around in and had some great characters. I was really excited to get into the Vegas strip for the first time, with all the bright lights. I fondly remember the Cazadores kicking my ass too.
FO4 had the best gunplay, the coolest main city to explore and I also really enjoyed flying around in the jetpack armor. Building settlements was fun too. The story was weakest here though.

johntown

Banned
I actually prefer Fallout 3 above all the others.

I like the dark gritty atmosphere of the game, the ability to actually be good or evil and I enjoyed the DLC for the most part.

I like Fallout 4 and New Vegas as well but I just prefer post apocalyptic games to be dark and gritty.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I know everyone is supposed to come in here and say NV, but I thought 3 was the best. I honestly don't think any of them are particularly good, but I enjoyed 3 the most.

bilderberg

3 and NV are pretty on par for me. 3 for setting and atmosphere; NV for story. Although I think the story in NV kind of falls apart at the end. No way in hell should the player just be able to convince Ceaser to stop what he's doing. Also, NV and interplay fanboys sort of make me hate NV more than I really should just out of spite. They're some of the most annoying people on the internet.

brian0057

Banned
Fallout 3's atmosphere is what stands out to me now. Every FO game since has just lacked it.

This, to be honest. Fallout 3 is my favorite Fallout game.

I couldn't stand New Vegas even though it has better RPG mechanics and I played it for over 50 hours. Old World Blues was the straw that shattered the camel's spine in multiple places with how goddamn boring it was.

Fallout 4 is just Fallout 3 but worse.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Fallout 4 win for me because of Nick Valentine

hands down my fav follower NPC in fallout game

Fallout 4 also have the best cities , settlement, world design

Fallout 3 have the best radio station because of Three Dog

Oh and btw the Railroad vs Brotherhood fight in F4 kinda remind me of Resetera vs Neogaf fight 🤣

Last edited:

Larxia

Gameplay wise, Fallout 4. It looks really good, gunplay is fun, settlement building is great (especially once modded with no more budget limit), I loved mostly everything about it. However I did not like that the story was giving you a premade background, with a family, a son and everythign... I really didn't like that and I would have preferred more freedom, it really broke the role play, I always tried to forget about that part of the story when I was playing.

For the atmosphere / world, New Vegas, I really liked the world, great atmosphere.

Fallout New Vegas with Fallout 4 visuals and gameplay / new mechanics would be the perfect one for me.

Fallout 3 is the only one I’ve played multiple times, and done all its DLC. It’s such a well structured experience and even though it’s something of a theme park ride of a Fallout experience it’s just pure fun to me. New Vegas I finished once and found it quite a challenging experience due to the freedom given to you, i wasn’t ready for that. Managed to complete it by giving Caesar a 100% speech check, which was nice. But if I’d played it literally any other way I’d have probably rerolled about 20 characters before leaving Goodsprings. I haven’t played the DLC.

I couldn’t even finish the main game of Fallout 4, gave up once you get on the tethered zeppelin thing.

Ozrimandias

Both games where the last bastion of the core Fallout (New Vegas definitely), Fallout 4 suffers from a "comic and plastic style of art and desing".

Both game deserve a remake, with the old art desing.......but Bethesda in its currents state problably will mess much more the Fallout franchise.

gioGAF

As far as Bethesda Fallouts go, I would say:
Fallout NV > Fallout 3 >>> Fallout 4

I wouldn't say F4 is a bad game, it just went in a direction I personally didn't like (base building, streamlining RPG mechanics, TRASH collecting).

Specifically, collecting trash is something I really hate. I loved having streamlined inventories in the previous entries with just my favorite gear and only picking up things that seemed useful instead of a bunch of junk.

I also hated the addition of farming for legendary items with dice rolls (barf!). Much preferred the unique items from previous iterations.

Top Bottom