• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 has gone gold; leaked gameplay vids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Is anyone else planning on customizing both the male and female characters? I'll be in the CC for a couple of hours at least.

I'll spend about an hour in there likely customizing both. I'll probably tweak the husband based on one of the presets and not dwell too much on him, but go ham on getting wife just right as I'm rolling with her my first go around.

Though I have to say I really like her default appearance. I would honestly be OK with just going with that, but I want to mess around and see what's possible.

UberLevi

Fallout 4 |OT| Who is Champ?

Fallout 4 |OT| You Can't See Me, My Time is Now

Fallout 4 |OT| I'm a sailor peg, And I've lost my leg

Fallout 4 |OT| I'm shipping up to Boston, whoa

Fallout 4 |OT| Shipping Up To Boston would be my honest recommendation, actually.

The following comment is largely centered around console cycles, but I think the main idea applies to PC development as well:

While I don't necessarily disagree with the age old "gameplay trumps graphics" adage, there's a seeming lack of understanding on the flip side of the coin. The appeal and desire for graphical quality goes a very long way when we're dealing with generational gaps between games, especially when they're top-tier AAA hype factories. Couple that with this weird point in this console cycle where we are at now in which we're finally starting to see some amazing looking shit that justifies this jump (Batman, MGS V, Witcher 3 to name a few). None of those games needed good graphics to be successful, but it gave them a sort of "holy shit" awe on top of an already great game. The thirst for this type of stuff is strong.

Then comes Fallout 4...a game that has been long overdue and desired for years. The unfortunate reality is that the industry seems to have evolved beyond what made the original Fallout games special. They were impressive feats at the time of their release. There is even a fatigue felt for open world games and the competition is fierce. This crazy backlash we're seeing from people regarding Fallout 4, I believe, stems from this sense of wanting it to be this huge revival...when the reality is that it appears to be more of the same. Not bad, by any means...I'm sure it's fun...but it's lacking any perceived evolution that the rest of the industry has brought us already.

The graphics come across as a summation of this feeling of being left behind. I mentioned it earlier, possibly in another Fallout 4 thread, but I keep thinking about my brother who isn't much of a big gamer. He's the type of guy who will play 2 or maybe 3 games a year for a bunch and that's it. He ended up loving the hell out of Fallout 3 and NV when they were out and he bought a PS4 a while back in anticipation of this game. I can't help but think of him being let down once he boots it up. I think this feeling is going to be widespread...especially to the masses out there. Maybe a good example of this would be the reception surrounding Mad Max when it came out. If it had came out a year or so ago, I'm sure people would have loved it...but that formula just doesn't cut it like it used to.

I fear that Fallout may have peaked too early. I can't be the only one that would kill for a new engine (even if it's more broken than this one is now) so that I could explore the wasteland in a whole new light. I can't shake the feeling that Fallout 4 will just feel like a nostalgia trip for those of us who loved the others...nothing more, nothing less.

So in this game are gou called the vault dweller or the sole survivor? I told my friends its sole survivor but they insist its the vault dweller. I dont think theyd go with the same name that the first game had, thats just beyond uncreative

Venture

Is anyone else planning on customizing both the male and female characters? I'll be in the CC for a couple of hours at least.
It would nice if the game remembered the changes for both characters so you could play as your spouse in the second playthrough. Maybe you can load an early save, go back into the bathroom, and switch characters.

Fallout 4 OT | ���� Overcome the Odds ����
Fallout 4 OT | Ben Carson Won

Damn, those were supposed to be trumpets.

CrazyDude

The problem that we were having over time is that prior to release, OTs would just be havens for the hardcore superfans. So when the game comes out and people start playing, people that hadn't taken up residence in the OT for the past week making sure everyone had their tickets for the hype train would start playing it and commenting. Now, sometimes these impressions were positive and it fit right in with most of the population of the thread. But sometimes, these impressions were negative. And this is where the trouble started.

The thing that we want to convey is not "hype is bad and you should stop being excited about things." However, we have come to realize over time that hype culture can be very toxic to honest discourse about a game's quality. When the superfans have already set the tone of the thread such that this is a place to praise whatever game we're talking about as the greatest thing since sliced bread, the people who would stroll in to say "you know, I've got some complaints about this game" would tend to get shouted down in quick order.

So, the decision we reached is that we really needed to do something to try to combat this. OTs are not designated safe spaces where only those with good things to say need apply for entry.

I don't really see how delaying OT would stop that from happening. I still see that kind of thing happening now even with the new rules. The hype will always exist and it will exist no matter when the OT happens. If it's not the OT, than it's the threads about the game.

rjinaz

The following comment is largely centered around console cycles, but I think the main idea applies to PC development as well:

While I don't necessarily disagree with the age old "gameplay trumps graphics" adage, there's a seeming lack of understanding on the flip side of the coin. The appeal and desire for graphical quality goes a very long way when we're dealing with generational gaps between games, especially when they're top-tier AAA hype factories. Couple that with this weird point in this console cycle where we are at now in which we're finally starting to see some amazing looking shit that justifies this jump (Batman, MGS V, Witcher 3 to name a few). None of those games needed good graphics to be successful, but it gave them a sort of "holy shit" awe on top of an already great game. The thirst for this type of stuff is strong.

Then comes Fallout 4...a game that has been long overdue and desired for years. The unfortunate reality is that the industry seems to have evolved beyond what made the original Fallout games special. They were impressive feats at the time of their release. There is even a fatigue felt for open world games and the competition is fierce. This crazy backlash we're seeing from people regarding Fallout 4, I believe, stems from this sense of wanting it to be this huge revival...when the reality is that it appears to be more of the same. Not bad, by any means...I'm sure it's fun...but it's lacking any perceived evolution that the rest of the industry has brought us already.

The graphics come across as a summation of this feeling of being left behind. I mentioned it earlier, possibly in another Fallout 4 thread, but I keep thinking about my brother who isn't much of a big gamer. He's the type of guy who will play 2 or maybe 3 games a year for a bunch and that's it. He ended up loving the hell out of Fallout 3 and NV when they were out and he bought a PS4 a while back in anticipation of this game. I can't help but think of him being let down once he boots it up. I think this feeling is going to be widespread...especially to the masses out there. Maybe a good example of this would be the reception surrounding Mad Max when it came out. If it had came out a year or so ago, I'm sure people would have loved it...but that formula just doesn't cut it like it used to.

I fear that Fallout may have peaked too early. I can't be the only one that would kill for a new engine (even if it's more broken than this one is now) so that I could explore the wasteland in a whole new light. I can't shake the feeling that Fallout 4 will just feel like a nostalgia trip for those of us who loved the others...nothing more, nothing less.

To a point I understand. But there has been a grand total of two Fallout games in 7 years. Nobody has a problem picking up the next Assassin's Creed, Zelda, COD, Mario, Tomb Raider, and really so many other titles that are just more of the same. Why is it that there isn't similar backlash for those games that often come out annually? Why does Fallout all of a sudden need to be a revolution otherwise people have a legitimate reason to feel letdown or even upset? Fallout 3 and NV were both great games. The formula shouldn't be stale for anybody at this point. The people that seem upset about the most, really seem to want a different game entirely. That's certainly their right, but if they don't like what Fallout is maybe they should look at other game series or games that are more inline with their tastes.

Some pretty good suggestions for the OT title there, but I haven't seen the one I'm probably going with posted yet.

I'm not referencing any streams since I haven't watched any, either. In fact I'm going in so dark that I even had someone go over the thread to make sure the information was up-to-date and correct. :p

See you guys on monday.

Jobbs

Banned

Bethesda very very rarely shakes things up and overhauls their setup. Last time was Oblivion. They've been making games from that blueprint every since. I never expected a radical change in formula for 4. From what I can tell from the limited materials I've seen and read, it seems to be pretty much exactly what I would have expected. And that's fine, because even though lots of people have been doing open world games, to this day no one has done what Bethesda does. They are still doing something that no one else does and that's why many are so willing to overlook the shortcomings. Good graphics aren't what make Bethesda games so exciting and special. Good graphics didn't stop AC Unity, for example, from almost literally putting me to sleep.

Venfayth

The problem that we were having over time is that prior to release, OTs would just be havens for the hardcore superfans. So when the game comes out and people start playing, people that hadn't taken up residence in the OT for the past week making sure everyone had their tickets for the hype train would start playing it and commenting. Now, sometimes these impressions were positive and it fit right in with most of the population of the thread. But sometimes, these impressions were negative. And this is where the trouble started.

The thing that we want to convey is not "hype is bad and you should stop being excited about things." However, we have come to realize over time that hype culture can be very toxic to honest discourse about a game's quality. When the superfans have already set the tone of the thread such that this is a place to praise whatever game we're talking about as the greatest thing since sliced bread, the people who would stroll in to say "you know, I've got some complaints about this game" would tend to get shouted down in quick order.

So, the decision we reached is that we really needed to do something to try to combat this. OTs are not designated safe spaces where only those with good things to say need apply for entry.

This is really vague and bizarre with regards to what is actually a problem and what this actually means for people who post in OTs, especially because it is literally tone policing.

edit: I see now this is in regard to delaying OTs until they're nearly out. That makes a little bit of sense, you're trying to prevent an established 'community' of people from taking control of the tone of the thread.

I don't really see how delaying OT would stop that from happening. I still see that kind of thing happening now even with the new rules. The hype will always exist and it will exist no matter when the OT happens. If it's not the OT, than it's the threads about the game.

Sure, but as I noted in my initial reply here is that -- if we felt it necessary -- the appropriate move here from where I'm sitting is not "we're fighting a losing battle so let's open up the OT now." It's "this thread is nothing but a hollow hype thread that serves no legitimate purpose so I'm going to lock this one."

We knew at the time that it's kind of a nebulous problem and there is no magic bullet solution.

Venom Fox

Banned
Sure, but as I noted in my initial reply here is that -- if we felt it necessary -- the appropriate move here from where I'm sitting is not "we're fighting a losing battle so let's open up the OT now." It's "this thread is nothing but a hollow hype thread that serves no legitimate purpose so I'm going to lock this one."

We knew at the time that it's kind of a nebulous problem and there is no magic bullet solution.
Steve I think a mod is needed in the "where to buy XXL gaming clothes" thread.
Edit: Thanks, I should have PM'd really.

Fallout 4 OT| War, War never changes, so try our new brand of Nuka Cola Quantum!

Fallout 4 OT| War, War never changes like John Cena winning or Mark Wahlberg acting!

Marky Mark is from New England right?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
One day before official launch day IIRC?

OT: got my GMG steam key just now in the mail, ordered it yesterday :)

Goes up the day before release

Ah, I remember the previous rule being a week. I guess this thread serves the same functional purpose so, eh.

Not that it matters but I agree with this. Good call.

Tigress

Bethesda very very rarely shakes things up and overhauls their setup. Last time was Oblivion. They've been making games from that blueprint every since. I never expected a radical change in formula for 4. From what I can tell from the limited materials I've seen and read, it seems to be pretty much exactly what I would have expected. And that's fine, because even though lots of people have been doing open world games, to this day no one has done what Bethesda does. They are still doing something that no one else does and that's why many are so willing to overlook the shortcomings. Good graphics aren't what make Bethesda games so exciting and special. Good graphics didn't stop AC Unity, for example, from almost literally putting me to sleep.

Exactly.

And I'd bet if they change things too much in the wrong direction for why people like it, it would backfire. I mean look at the upset htat happened when people thought you wouldn't be able to pick gender (in a community where usually you're told to get over it if you can't play a female). It was enough of an uproar Bethesda addressed it in the conference ("yes, you can play a female"). I think Bethesda knows in general their audience and what they want and that their audience probably isn't too big on drastic change.

I'm still skeptical about the voiced characters myself. Other than that and a few really small gripes that aren't big deals (like I liked degrading weapons), the game looks really good from what I can tell (and graphics just needs to be good enough imho, that's really not even close to the big reason I love their games). But if they upset the formula I like too much, especially to make themselves more like other RPGs today, I'd be upset (actually I'm a bit upset cause that feels like why they are adding in voice actors. I don't want them to try to be like other RPGs damnit. I don't love them over other RPGs cause they do the same thing).

hydruxo

Fallout 4 |OT| How do you like them apples?

goodgifhunting.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom