• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 has gone gold; leaked gameplay vids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matush

Came across this in /r/fo4, cred to that community!
tJGyOEN.jpg
Thanks, time to start with planning.

Blastoise

Banned
Looks rough. Especially the indoor scenes with the stuff on the shelfs and counters.

I might cancel my console order and just get it on steam when I build my PC.

maxglute

Neo Member
Gamebryo can't seem to render accurate area lights properly at all. Unless there's a strong light source (high power spot light or fire pit) or GI light (exterior light leaking in), the interior light quality from artificial sources is just very poor. The way light bounces to illuminate geometry makes no sense along with the conspicuous lack of shadows makes everything look flat.

SamNW

Really unbelievable how many people on here have tunnel vision about graphics. Don't get me wrong—I think you have every right to hold that as the dominate (or only) criterion by which you judge a game. But it just seems so incredibly weird and shallow for a bunch of gamers to be writing this game off and taking it to task for relatively small details.

I don't post much, but I'm not naive enough to think this isn't standard procedure on Gaf. It's just...startling. The game's graphics look...good? Not great. It's not a technical masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but did anyone expect it to be?

Denton

The UI font is terrible, but it will get modded out very quickly and replaced with some classic fallout font.

JHandlebars

Neo Member
Really unbelievable how many people on here have tunnel vision about graphics. Don't get me wrong—I think you have every right to hold that as the dominate (or only) criterion by which you judge a game. But it just seems so incredibly weird and shallow for a bunch of gamers to be writing this game off and taking it to task for relatively small details.

I don't post much, but I'm not naive enough to think this isn't standard procedure on Gaf. It's just...startling. The game's graphics look...good? Not great. It's not a technical masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but did anyone expect it to be?

Bl@de

It's looking weak for sure. The fun factor will be awesome though.

Sure it will be more fun. I liked wrecking stuff in 3 and New Vegas. But I expect more from a AAA blockbuster. Especially when I consider that F3 was never a special game because of story or good balancing, good shooter gameplay.... Jank is fine for a small title like Risen etc., but Bethesda should really switch their engine now. It's enough.

I hate how the HUD looks. The flat minimal style looks like it was quickly thrown together for an alpha build and never changed. Hoping modders can release a better one shortly after launch.

c0de

I can't hold it in anymore. This game looks like dog shit. Just awful. Last gen games look better.

sorry

No need for sorry, you just don't know why people love Fallout. It never was anything special in terms of graphics but it was special for art and atmosphere.

valkyre

The game looks like complete ass technically and NO I will not try and look the other way because "gameplay>graphics" excuse.

Yes gameplay is indeed > graphics but there has to be a damn fine line, especially coming from a major developer like Bethesda who is making a shitton of money.

Based on that, this is a borderline unacceptable looking game.

Cant believe Bethesda will -once again- get a free pass... smh really.

RulkezX

The game looks like complete ass technically and NO I will not try and look the other way because "gameplay>graphics" excuse.

Yes gameplay is indeed > graphics but there has to be a damn fine line, especially coming from a major developer like Bethesda who is making a shitton of money.

Based on that, this is a borderline unacceptable looking game.

Cant believe Bethesda will -once again- get a free pass... smh really.

What do you even mean by "a free pass"?

valkyre

What do you even mean by "a free pass"?

I mean all the GOTY awards Bethesda got for their previous bug fests of games (more like BETAs) and especially the Skyrim PS3 version scandal which was absolutely abysmal.

Generally the press -and even user- tends to give Bethesda free pass for all these serious issues. Then there is other not so important stuff like the animation etc.

Its Bethesda so who cares right? They make millions so why bother doing some proper animation work instead of using 15 years ago technology...

I mean all the GOTY awards Bethesda got for their previous bug fests of games (more like BETAs) and especially the Skyrim PS3 version scandal which was absolutely abysmal.

Generally the press -and even users- tends to give Bethesda free pass for all these serious issues.
Or maybe people just want to enjoy games.

Auctopus

He's speaking in relative terms. Witcher 3 was heavily criticised for its technical performance despite being one of the greatest RPGs of all time.

Yet Betheada's "hilarious" bugs and glitches get a free pass most of the time.

JoseLopez

Generally the press -and even user- tends to give Bethesda free pass for all these serious issues. Then there is other not so important stuff like the animation etc.

Its Bethesda so who cares right? They make millions so why bother doing some proper animation work instead of using 15 years ago technology...
Skyrim on 360 at launch had hardly any problems for me and same with fo3

Machina

Banned
I'm as hyped up as you for this game...but the game does not look fucking amazing. At all. Not even close to amazing.

If this was any other game, all of GAF would be shitting on it. But since it IS Fallout and Bethesda...only 50% of GAF is shitting on it.

That implies that the issue is completely debatable, so maybe the problem is your standards?

RedRum

Banned
The insane hours I put into FO3 and FO: NV tell me, despite the glitches and graphics, I am going to enjoy the hell out of this game. Day 1.

valkyre

Skyrim on 360 at launch had hardly any problems for me and same with fo3

For you perhaps, for me and for most people there was even a guide on how to avoid bugs... Ofcourse it wasnt that dogshit PS3 version. Not even close.

Yes, because clearly people do not enjoy games that are more polished...

This is a major developer. Its Bethesda. You SHOULD be expecting for some quality standards. Its beyond me how a lot of people dont mind their releases that have a lot of bugs and that the technical aspect of this game is borderline archaic.

This is something I could forgive if it was coming from a small developer. But this is Bethesda... we had PS360 games looking better than this, you dont have to be a graphics whore to expect something better coming from those guys.

Different strokes for different folks, the core gameplay, world building and lore is so good that mainstream is willing to let things slide.

FO4 is going to sell gangbusters, win awards and I can't wait for the salt that will rain from the skies, even more than waiting for the game itself.

For you perhaps, for me and for most people there was even a guide on how to avoid bugs... Ofcourse it wasnt that dogshit PS3 version. Not even close.

Yes, because clearly people do not enjoy games that are more polished...

This is a major developer. Its Bethesda. You SHOULD be expecting for some quality standards. Its beyond me how a lot of people dont mind their releases that have a lot of bugs and that the technical aspect of this game is borderline archaic.

This is something I could forgive if it was coming from a small developer. But this is Bethesda... we had PS360 games looking better than this, you dont have to be a graphics whore to expect something better coming from those guys.
It also looks better than a lot of ps360 games, even the ones Bethesda made. Shocking, I know.

Looks rough but I wasn't expecting much in terms of graphics with this. I do wish they do an overhaul or change their engine for the next Fallout game though.

I do wonder if this was a cross gen game for the longest time and they cut 360/ps3 support soon before the announcement. Sort of a BLOPS3 situation where they realised those old consoles couldnt do it anymore but only when the game was nearly complete and basically designed around the idea of trying to shoehorn it onto old gen consoles.

Cant wait to play it though. A few weeks after release once its been put though its paces and a few patches have happened.

Blastoise

Banned
I just cancelled my PS4 preorder. Even though it would cost me ~$42.

I just think that if Bethesda do fuck up the graphics with this game, mods will fix it. So I will buy on PC later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom