• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 next gen update out April 25th also PC ultrawide and more

Gambit2483

Excellent.

Fallout 4 GoTY edition (with all the DLC) is currently on sale for just $9.99 on XBL.

If it's like Witcher, they might increase the price permanently after this update comes out.

Dang, and I just ordered the Xbox One physical GOTY edition for ~$20...oh well, at least I'll get to own it physically forever.

Kinda glad I waited all this time to finally experience the sequel to one of my favorite games ever, now with next gen improvements!

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Chad Howard

a34PxGv_460swp.webp

Or......nice free update for ancient game.
Add some things people do care about
Can still play mods on the old version
Doesn't comment right away.

Guess you see what you want to.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I love how QUEST FIXES are included in this update. You mean to tell me 12 years later they’re finally fixing broken quests? Great work very NEXT GEN of you Todd!

Oh and UP TO 60 FPS. So this game won’t even hit consistent 60 on a PS5? Listen I like FO4 but what even is the point of this update. Slightly better textures?
Let's be real here, someone at Bethesda updated the .ini file in the console version. That said I would be surprised if the game struggles at 60fps, as the PS5 has no problem running PS4 games at 4k/60fps.

Dazraell

Wasn't a 2026 date rumored? Same as Microsoft's next-gen Xbox.
Well, realistically speaking I would expect it in 2027 at the earliest. I know TESVI was already in pre-production alongside Starfield, but I assume three years after Starfield's release sounds way too early if we will take current dev cycles for video games in consideration

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Started a new game in preparation for the update.

"Operation Ignore Preston".

When I got to Concord I cleared the museum to get cheap raider loot, grabbed the magazine & the perception bobblehead close to Preston.
Fast travelled back to Sanctuary & told Codsworth Concord wasn't worth it.
Codsworth now companion and made a beeline to Diamond City where I met Piper.

"Operation Ignore Preston" successful! 😃

DeaDPo0L84

Playing on PC currently and it's legit nuts how different the game can look and play with the really extensive mods. Won't download the update right away cause I'm pretty sure most mods will not be updated, not really worth it even with the proposed changes.

Ridaxan

Playing on PC currently and it's legit nuts how different the game can look and play with the really extensive mods. Won't download the update right away cause I'm pretty sure most mods will not be updated, not really worth it even with the proposed changes.
F4SE will most likely break with the new release and as a result a slew of mods that rely on it. I recently started a new modlist with a GOG version of the game so I'm gonna keep that one in the back pocket, but I'm pretty keen to see the changes and if they've actually bothered to fix any obvious breaking issues (ala the weapon debris crash on RTX cards ~ there is a mod for that, sure, but still).

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Has there been any previews of this update anywhere? I would think that something big like this where you are bringing a PS5/XBX patch to an older game like Fallout 4 that there would be previews of how its going to be.....??? If it's going to be just a drop of the patch on the 25th without any previews or details, then......

star wars GIF

Methos#1975

Has there been any previews of this update anywhere? I would think that something big like this where you are bringing a PS5/XBX patch to an older game like Fallout 4 that there would be previews of how its going to be.....??? If it's going to be just a drop of the patch on the 25th without any previews or details, then......

star wars GIF
MS cannot even properly market their consoles, no chance those incompetant dumbasses can market a game correctly. Even a update when Fallout is redhot right now is beyond their means to market successfully.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Have they ever?

Not for an update like this, no. But PSN has had some issues before where PS+ versions of games were not eligible for 'next-gen' upgrades for months after launch.

Because you will get what you already have now with mods. 60 fps and higher settings

You can already do mods on the console versions, the description doesn't say that they're expanding mod space or anything like that.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Not for an update like this, no. But PSN has had some issues before where PS+ versions of games were not eligible for 'next-gen' upgrades for months after launch.

You can already do mods on the console versions, the description doesn't say that they're expanding mod space or anything like that.

I know thats what im saying. You can already play FO4 on console at 60 fps and better settings. So this update wont change much, you just dont need mods for these anymore

Excited on two fronts:

A) To rediscover F4 myself, since I haven't really played since holiday 2015 on Xbox One. I enjoyed it but probably fell off and moved onto other things around 30-40 hours in
B) To see the Digital Foundry video on all of the improvements. Definitely hoping the 60fps mode on Series X will be locked and have good draw distance. I didn't feel like visually the original F4 game was super impressive. But I know Bethesda games are more about all of the simulation aspects going on under the hood, so it was fine for what it was 🤷‍♂️. The graphics were certainly improved from Skyrim, and were more than "good enough".

Last edited:
I tried installing F4 last month but quickly uninstalled in fear of me hating it for lacking RPG elements. I heard its mostly just a shooter.
I would recommend playing it for yourself. It's certainly still an RPG. It's just less hardcore than 3 or New Vegas. But I wouldn't buy into all the haters, honestly. Just play it and decide for yourself. It's certainly still a Bethesda-style open-word RPG. Warts and all.

Last edited:

calistan

I hope they add an option to make the companions killable. I remember getting really annoyed by Preston, to the point where I decided he had to die, but he was a total bullet sponge.

JackMcGunns

So we're agreeing that Microsoft charges for remasters then

No, Microsoft charged for The Master Chief Collection, one of the best collections for Xbox fans and an incredible value. The 60+ games that received enhancements for X1X or Series X, 39 of which were literal remasters, the rest at least FPS boost, were all FREE.

Last edited:
Jesus you Microsoft fans lol

Read the post carefully
What kind of company would charge for a remaster??
I answred Microsoft

Now, if that question had said "update" I'd have nothing to go with off the top of my head. Give me a while to think a out it and I'd come up with something I'm sure, including probably Sony!

Have they ever?
Yes, they have. I only need to post 1 game that shows this, whether there are more or not doesn't matter. Halo MCC contains Halo Anniversary (a remaster) which was a paid game. It contained Halo 2 Anniversary (a remaster), a paid game. The MCC itself is a paid game. That'd 3 games. I'm done, my burden of proof is fulfilled. I don't need to post every game as that wasn't the question asked

Halo 2 Anniversary debuted as part of the package, it was a complete visual overhaul, not just an update.
Exactly, a remaster

Microsoft is, simply put, best in industry when it comes to updating their games and offering them at good prices.

MCC was excellent value. So will be Fallout 4 update (free).
But the original question was regarding remasters, not updates

'Remaster' sure, but this FO4 thing is an update, not a remaster.
Exactly, we agree, thank you

Here's a list of 696 mild-to-major remasters that Microsoft provided for free.
You can't read and also get your definition of remasters completely wrong. The wiki article you quoted even states, "There are 633 games that have been made backward compatible out of 2,155 that have been released for Xbox 360"

As much as Microsoft/Xbox like to come up with all these strange metrics and words to describe things, backwards compatable updates are not remasters lol

F4 is just a free update, not a paid remaster. And everyone charges for actual remasters. Not a Microsoft-specific thing.
Exactly. We agree. But that wasn't the question asked

Now that we've all had a quick lesson in reading and what the difference between "update" and "remaster" is, you can go back to playing on your Xbox's and Microsoft PC's

JackMcGunns JackMcGunns , please see above!

Last edited:
Jesus you Microsoft fans lol

Read the post carefully

I answred Microsoft

Now, if that question had said "update" I'd have nothing to go with off the top of my head. Give me a while to think a out it and I'd come up with something I'm sure, including probably Sony!

Yes, they have. I only need to post 1 game that shows this, whether there are more or not doesn't matter. Halo MCC contains Halo Anniversary (a remaster) which was a paid game. It contained Halo 2 Anniversary (a remaster), a paid game. The MCC itself is a paid game. That'd 3 games. I'm done, my burden of proof is fulfilled. I don't need to post every game as that wasn't the question asked

Exactly, a remaster

But the original question was regarding remasters, not updates

Exactly, we agree, thank you

You can't read and also get your definition of remasters completely wrong. The wiki article you quoted even states, "There are 633 games that have been made backward compatible out of 2,155 that have been released for Xbox 360"

As much as Microsoft/Xbox like to come up with all these strange metrics and words to describe things, backwards compatable updates are not remasters lol

Exactly. We agree. But that wasn't the question asked

Now that we've all had a quick lesson in reading and what the difference between "update" and "remaster" is, you can go back to playing on your Xbox's and Microsoft PC's
Well, not sure I understand the attitude, but thanks I will. Love my Series X, and my Switch. Don't have a PC, so dunno what you're even saying, but 🤷‍♂️

And also I'm not a "Microsoft fan", they just have the best console hardware, and I vastly prefer their controller. If Nintendo made technologically competitive consoles with better online, I probably wouldn't ever buy Xbox hardware.

Last edited:
You could have just replied to the original poster that this is an update, not a remaster, instead of dragging this tangent along.
And you didn't need to reply to me without reading the question and answer given, but you did, and then kept going. I'd have happily skipped off into the next thread

Top Bottom